Win XP Home Network Ping and My Network Places problem

Hi,

I have a home network with two Win XP Home machines.  Everything appears to be
working properly with a dial-up ICS connection and ICF in use.  Previously I had
the Win XP ICS host connected to a Win 98 machine.  I recently replaced the Win
98 machine w/ a Win XP machine.  Although the two XP machines can talk to each
other, when I ping from the host XP machine to the client using the client
computer name the ping fails.  If I use the IP address the ping succeeds.  Also
I have a number of shares defined on the client computer and none of them appear
when I look at My Network Places on the host.  The local shares do appear.  When
I view My Network Places on the client, all shares are shown (both local and host).

I have deleted all the old Win 98 share entries from the My Network Places list.

The net view command at the host command prompt reports both computers by name.
  They are assigned to the same workgroup.  Is there some remnant from the old
Win 98 client that is preventing the new computer name from being recognized?

How can I troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks,
Peter

0
Peter
1/10/2004 2:07:05 AM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 02:07:05 GMT, Peter Crickman <p.crickman@att.net>
wrote:

>How can I troubleshoot this problem?

Does it make any difference if you "enable netbios over tcp/ip"
instead of the default (in the tcp/ip properties)?

Jim.

0
James

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP
Networking Problem, Setting up "Home Networking Wizard" with Windows XP Host Machine is XP Home Edition with satellite internet connected to USB, a USB hub is running off of this machine with 3 clients. Client A (laptop) has Windows ME, Client B has 98 SE and C has 98. Client A can see the host, the host can see client A and I have successfully set up internet connection sharing on client A. Clients B and C cannot see the host and the host cannot see them, however they can see each other. The Workgroup for all machines is: MSWORKGROUP, all computer names are different. Ran th...

Problem with Windows XP -> Home networking
Hello, I have 3 computers in a small home network (comp1,comp2 and comp3), all using Windows XP Pro. I can see and ping all machines from all the computers. But: I can only browse comp1 from all computers. When I try to browse comp2 or comp3, I get the error message underneath. I try to copy the settings from comp1 as much as possible, but no success. I have tried "all tricks" found on the Internet, e.g.: - Enable NetBios over TCP/IP - Disable firewall - Enable DHCP - Chosen advanced folder options. In the security-tab, I can't find and add other users than my local...

1pc, 2 network devices in same network -> ping problem
Hello, Consider the following situation: kernel 2.4 1 pc, 2 network devices Both devices have an IP of the same network e.g. net_device1 has IP 192.168.0.1 net_device2 has IP 192.168.0.2 This results in the following routing table (dependent of which device is firstly initialized with ifconfig ... up): .... .... 192.168.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 net_device2 192.168.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 net_device1 When pinging to net_device1, net_device2 responds to the arp-request and the ping instead of net_device1 (even when the cable of net_device1 is unplugged). Thus net_device2 kind of becomes the "gateway" of network 192.168.0.0. Net_device1 never responds. How can I change this behavior to obtain that: - net_device1 responds to an arp-request and a ping to 192.168.0.1 - net_device2 responds to an arp-request and a ping to 192.168.0.2 ? This is needed for monitoring purposes (to be able to switch between a main e.g. net_device1 and backup device e.g. net_device2). Thx Pieter Beyens ...

Networking Windows 2K and XP
Here's a posting from a friend having problems setting up a Windows XP computer to share a Windows 2K network. <begin friend's quote> "At work, I've set up a brand new machine with XP, and now need to copy my files, etc to it from the old one. Our office is set up with a Win2K server plus 2 other machines besides mine. (so 4 in total) I can't seem to be able to get the network to work on any of the machines, to see my machine or mine to see them... I have now turned off the Firewall on the XP machine, its in the same workgroup as the others, I gave mys...

Centos XP windows network DHCP DNS Zonealarm Conflicts -> can talk linux to windows network OR www not both
Centos 5.1 Windows XPSP2 Zonealarm Firewall Standard Windows workgroup. Router with DHCP server. Set centos for DHCP Zonealarm off System works. Turn on Zonealarm on XP, Centos is blocked from contacting XP. Put Centos IP address into Zonealarm trusted zone. Everything works...until reboot when Centos gets a new IP. Don't know how to give Centos a traditional windows workgroup hostname that I can put into Zonealarm...no problem, just use fixed IP address. Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't connect to the web. Is there a workaround to make all this work without breaking anything else on my windows workgroup? centos -> browse windows network centos -> surf www Windows Zonealarm Firewall enabled. ?? thanks,mike -- Return address is VALID! Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here: http://mike.liveline.de/sale.html On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 05:00:37 +0000, mike rearranged some electrons to say: > > Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't > connect to the web. Uh, that's not a bug. If you're using a fixed IP address insread of DHCP, you have to tell it everything it would normally get from the DHCP server, including the IP address of your favorite DNS server (which your router gets from your ISP). PS: If you're still trying to run Linux inside a Virtual PC under Windoze (as I believe you were claiming to do in another newsgroup, against the advice of several people) then y...

Network problem with Win Xp and Win 98
Hello, In my company I've got computer with Win98 as a server and one with WinXP Home as a client (new computer). Sometimes, I lose data when these two computers work on the same *.dbf tables. I must mention, that everything goes all right, when both client and server are on Win98. There's suggestion that changing the roles (I mean WinXP Home as a server, and Win98 as a client) will help. But, is it the only solution??? Has anyone met this problem??? How did You solve it?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Andrzej Maybe a read of this article could help http://www.witze...

Windows XP and Win 2K Network = Issues? No ping & dropouts!!!
I have three computers connected in a workgroup behind my Linksys cable modem router. 1. Win XP Pro name: home 2. Win 2K Pro name: cpqserver 3. Win 2K Pro name: scully The problem I have is that when only machine 1 and 3 are running everything is fine...they can ping each other and access each other's shares as expected. As soon as I boot up machine 2 (new server I acquired) it seems like everything goes downhill. Machine 2 cannot ping machine 1...it gets the "unknown host" error message. If machine 3 is playing an MP3 that's located on...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com (Rakib Hassan) wrote in message news:<1a0a9065.0309020146.582df00f@posting.google.com>... > news:<60f42cdd.0309011214.6f20358a@posting.google.com>... > Hi guys, > you must got problems in sharing permissions.if it doesnt work then > make a dc(win2000)and make the xp pc its(dc's) client.i hope it will > work. check your registry settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa Maybe there is a key FORCEGUEST, if yes, edit the value to 0 Just insert the XP CD choose preform other tasks and click set up network, follow the wizzard and it'll sort it out (worked for me) XP is against manual settings obviously. Do it with both machines (yes its legal, even recomended by MS - see wizzard) and you will be fine. Tarl ...

networking win 98 and win xp home computers
I connected the 2 computers to a router so they can share the same Internet connection. Conection is shared no problem. Now for the home networking part........... I ran Net Set Wizard on xp computer...great Restart.... then I created network setup wizard (netsetup.exe) on floppy for 98 computer...ran that on 98 seemed OK...restart Tried to run FAST to backup files and settings from xp to 98.....home network is greyed out........... On the xp computer, My Network Places shows only "SharedDocs on Mom & Dad's computer (Our-computer)" which is the XP computer On the 98 compu...

networking win 98 and win xp home computers
I connected the 2 computers to a router so they can share the same Internet connection. Conection is shared no problem. Now for the home networking part........... I ran Net Set Wizard on xp computer...great Restart.... then I created network setup wizard (netsetup.exe) on floppy for 98 computer...ran that on 98 seemed OK...restart Tried to run FAST to backup files and settings from xp to 98.....home network is greyed out........... On the xp computer, My Network Places shows only "SharedDocs on Mom & Dad's computer (Our-computer)" which is the XP computer On the 98 compu...

Windows XP networking problem??
Hello, I have at home, two Windows XP machines which are connected to a Linksys router to share the internet connection. Now with normal connection, I can do a search for computer on network, it shows the other computer but I cannot access the shared folders on the other computer. Also I want to share the printer on one computer. I cannot even see the printer in the shared resources. However, I have enabled the file and printer sharing in the connection properties. Is there anything I need to take care of in order to make the computers talk to each other? Thanks, Anand. www.careyholzman.co...

problems with XP Home network
hi all here's the problem i'm dealing with but i'll start with some details on what i'm trying to do: <techspecs> 2pc network under win xp home both pcs are under win xp cat5e network cable pc names - pc1 & pc2 both pcs share same (name) workgroup both pcs have only 1 and the same designated shared folder no firewall <problems> pc1 cannot access shared folder on pc2 pc1 does not appear on pc2 workgroup is the same on both machines, but cannot change workgroup name on pc1, field stays greyed out showing name of workgroup(?) can find workgroup name in pc2 system registry BUT cannot find workgroup name on pc1 system registry(?) <preliminary steps> network wizard run on both machines ping works both ways as well as ICS (shared connection is firewalled) tried adding new networkplace on both pcs -- negative result able to find pc1 with on pc2 but not vice versa <loaded components> client for MS networks file/printer sharing for MS networks QoS pocket scheduler tcp/ip <ipconfig stats on pc1> for LAN connection: connection spesific dns suffix............no entry ip.........................................192.168.0.1 mask........................................255.255.255.0 default gateway..................................no value for i-net shared connection: ip..................................same as i-net gateway mask...............................255.255.255.255 default gateway.................same as i-net ip <ipconfi...

win ME and XP network problems
Hey, I have made networks before, but currently i am having problems. I have a ME laptop and an XP desktop, and i cant get them to talk. I am running CAT 5 through a hub - all the pritty lights flash. I have TCPIP and NetBuei(or whatever) installed. I have tried putting in my own IP`s and choosing its own. The furthest i have got, is that the laptop can see the desktop (brings up name) - but cannot access it! The Desktop cant see anything!!! Any ideas?? - anything i could be stupidly doing. Regards Dan ...

Solaris & General Networking
I'm first trying to figure out, after failed attempts, if what I'm hoping to achieve is even possible or should simply be avoided. PROBLEM: Unable to get a wired IPV4 LAN to route through multi-homed Solaris server through to internet. All other connectivity works great. SETUP: "Typical"* home LAN setup. (* IMHO) Hardware, is only four devices: 1) Gigabit Netgear "router" 2) Netgear Wireless Access Point 3) Solaris server running Solaris Express Developer Edition 2/07 4) MacBook Pro (hereafter "MBP") Network schematic: Internet (WAN) t...

Windows XP networking problem??
Hello, I have at home, two Windows XP machines which are connected to a Linksys router to share the internet connection. Now with normal connection, I can do a search for computer on network, it shows the other computer but I cannot access the shared folders on the other computer. Also I want to share the printer on one computer. I cannot even see the printer in the shared resources. However, I have enabled the file and printer sharing in the connection properties. Is there anything I need to take care of in order to make the computers talk to each other? Thanks, Anand. www.careyholzman.co...

network within a network
I am a college student living in a duplex. Our whole duplex has one internet connection. I have a laptop with a wireless card and a ethernet card. I use the wireless card to access the internet. I also have a desktop with only a ethernet card that i am trying to connect to my laptop. Im trying to make my own network to share the internet connection with my desktop. My problem arises when i try to make my laptop the host to my network, i think it tries to take the 192.168.0.1 ip address which is already taken by the router ( in other apartment). so i get ip address conflictions. A...

XP Home network problem.
Hi I'm grateful for anyone who can help me with this. It's driving me nuts. I have two PCs on a network at home which work perfectly. Both use XP Pro /SP2 via a Linksys BEFSR41 router. I added a third PC over Christmas which is running XP Home. When the PC was switched on for the first time, XP Home needed activating and this worked fine. Once installation was complete, it was not possible to browse the internet with IE. Outlook, Windows messenger also didn't work.. The IP settings are correct - and the router is talking to it. I can ping the router from the XP Home PC but n...

XP Home network problem.
Hi I'm grateful for anyone who can help me with this. It's driving me nuts. I have two PCs on a network at home which work perfectly. Both use XP Pro /SP2 via a Linksys BEFSR41 router. I added a third PC over Christmas which is running XP Home. When the PC was switched on for the first time, XP Home needed activating and this worked fine. Once installation was complete, it was not possible to browse the internet with IE. Outlook, Windows messenger also didn't work.. The IP settings are correct - and the router is talking to it. I can ping the router from the XP Home PC but n...

network problem
Hi all, have a problem while setting up my home network; there are two PC's asterix, Realtek - 8029(AS) 192.168.0.98 idefix, Realtek - RT8139 192.168.0.20 Both cards work fine with ping on the lo and the own nodename, when I try to ping to the other node I get an error like mentioned below ... ----------------- From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98): icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable From asterix.meprivat (192.168.0.98) icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable --- idefix.meprivat ping statistics --- 8 packets transmitted, 0 received, +7 errors, 100% loss, time 7032ms , pipe 3 --------------------- Need advice, any help is welcome ! Thanx a lot in advance !! -- Besten Dank / Thank you very much Tom "tom" <th.metz@tesionmail.de> skrev i meddelandet news:bprdcl$ndr$1@stu1id2.ip.tesion.net... > Hi all, > > have a problem while setting up my home network; there are two PC's > asterix, Realtek - 8029(AS) 192.168.0.98 > idefix, Realtek - RT8139 192.168.0.20 > > Both cards work fine with ping on the lo and the own nodename, when I t...

WINDOWS XP PRO --> WINDOWS 2003 SERVER
Hello, I want to add to the domain a computer but I can't. Client PC with Windows XP Pro can only see itself and the same with the windows 2003 server. The ping doesn't work. Maybe the problems are the IP numbers? Hardware is correctly installed and appears in both computers the network icon working. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. PeeWee You must get basic network TCP/IP connectivity working first. PING tests will help. Once that happens then try joining the PC to the domain. Can you describe your network and TCP/IP network addressing? ...

setup a home network with win-xp laptop and win 2K desktop
hi, i have a windows-XP laptop and a windows-2000 desktop both connected to internet through a belkin router. can anyone tell me how to setup these computers onto a local network and access the files of each computer from the other??? - i did put both computers onto same workname - desktop is able to see the laptop but is not able to connect to it - laptop is not even seeing anything, it complains abt not having permissions to connect to that workname ur help is appreciated thanks Go into Network properties -> TCPIP -> Advanced -> WINS and enable NetBios over TCP...

home networking with suse 10.2 and windows xp home (newbie)
My wife's laptop runs xp home; can't change that. My desktop runs openSuse 10.2 x64. How can I set up file sharing so that there is one folder shared between both machines, with read/write permissions for all, and no login prompt? I have Samba installed and running, I have my computer joined to the Windows workgroup "jello," and I can see my Linux box from Windows (but not access any files). I have successfully set up the cups server to share my printer. In your replies, please assume that I have never manually edited a .conf file in my life. I am willing to learn, but take it easy on me, please. "GateKeeper" <GateKeeper@earth1ink.net> wrote in message news:464f442e$0$4709$4c368faf@roadrunner.com... > My wife's laptop runs xp home; can't change that. > My desktop runs openSuse 10.2 x64. > How can I set up file sharing so that there is one folder shared between > both machines, with read/write permissions for all, and no login prompt? I > have Samba installed and running, I have my computer joined to the Windows > workgroup "jello," and I can see my Linux box from Windows (but not access > any files). I have successfully set up the cups server to share my > printer. > > In your replies, please assume that I have never manually edited a .conf > file in my life. I am willing to learn, but take it easy on me, please. Is your wife's Windows XP system formatted with NTFS or FAT3...

WTB: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, Riverstone Networks, and others.
WTB: Nortel Networks, Alcatel, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Enterasys / Cabletron, Extreme Networks, Foundry Networks, 3Com, Lucent, Marconi / Fore, Riverstone Networks, and others. We buy the above networking hardware. Email netbuy@bellsouth.net with what you have. We may have interest in buying it. SAY YOU SAW IT IN THE NEWSGROUP! ...

Web resources about - Win XP Home Network Ping and My Network Places problem - comp.networking.windows

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Talk:PlayStation Network outage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Video games , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of video games on Wikipedia. If ...

Networks Prepare for President Obama’s Supreme Court Announcement
... “I’m doing my job. I hope that our Senators will do their jobs, and move quickly to consider my nominee.” The broadcast and cable networks ...

Cisco, VMware Threatened by Network Virtualization, Says Macquarie
... observed is that the telephone companies are more and more replacing traditional telecom gear with software-based approaches, know as " network ...

VR social network vTime hits Google Cardboard
VR social platform vTime plans to launch on every major virtual-reality headset, but we're not 100 percent sure we want to start spending even ...

IDG Contributor Network: The downside of relying on social network providers for authentication
Like many people, I have a WordPress blog , and I ask my readers to identify themselves when they post comments by authorizing WordPress to access ...

Free Cones Today At Dairy Queen For Children’s Miracle Network Fundraiser
... today from Dairy Queen: stop by a restaurant and ask for one. That’s all you need to do. Officially, the event is a Children’s Miracle Network ...

Letterboxd app turns movie tracking into a social network
... well have visited the website Letterboxd at some point — giving you a fun way of tracking your movie-watching, built around a neat social network ...

Ron Howard’s Mars, Alex Gibney’s Water Quest & Puppies Highlight National Geographic Networks’ Push To ...
The National Geographic Channel is “the #1 non-celebrity brand on Instagram,” Courtney Monroe, CEO of the company’s Global Networks, told reporters ...

NBC Threatens to Pull Content From Dish Network -
Comcast-owned NBC is threatening a blackout of its stations on Dish Network if the two sides can't come to a new contract agreement before this ...