Windows 2000 and Windows XP using Firewire connection

Has anyone been able to use this method for networking?

Win XP has the drivers etc loaded.
Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking.

I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit
connection which works.

I would like to try and use firewire as well.

Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking?

Can the XP drivers be used instead?

Tanx
Martin
0
no
1/17/2004 5:34:54 AM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:34:54 GMT, no-spam@here.com wrote:

> Has anyone been able to use this method for networking?
>
> Win XP has the drivers etc loaded.
> Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking.
>
> I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit
> connection which works.
>
> I would like to try and use firewire as well.
>
> Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking?
>
> Can the XP drivers be used instead?
>
> Tanx
> Martin

Win2K does not support IEEE1394 networking. WinME and XP do support
IEEE1394 networking.
0
BobC
1/17/2004 3:48:09 PM
Tanx, I already knew that, which is why I was asking if there is a way
around it.
Either 3rd party softaware or XP drivers.

Martin
0
no

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com (Rakib Hassan) wrote in message news:<1a0a9065.0309020146.582df00f@posting.google.com>... > news:<60f42cdd.0309011214.6f20358a@posting.google.com>... > Hi guys, > you must got problems in sharing permissions.if it doesnt work then > make a dc(win2000)and make the xp pc its(dc's) client.i hope it will > work. check your registry settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa Maybe there is a key FORCEGUEST, if yes, edit the value to 0 Just insert the XP CD choose preform other tasks and click set up network, follow the wizzard and it'll sort it out (worked for me) XP is against manual settings obviously. Do it with both machines (yes its legal, even recomended by MS - see wizzard) and you will be fine. Tarl ...

How to connect a windows xp box to a windows 2000 box
Hi, I have an older box installed with windows 2000 and a new box with windows xp. I would like to access my windows 2000 box through windows xp with a crossover cable. I was able to view the shared folders of windows xp from my windows 2000 box, but not vice versa. I may not set it up correctly. Anyone has a working procedure to share? Thanks, Wayne wwang525@yahoo.com (Wayne) wrote in message news:<4ce62911.0407201605.6f030ca7@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > > I have an older box installed with windows 2000 and a new box with > windows xp. > I wo...

Generic text printing using windows xp and windows 2000
Hi! I'm using generic printing in windows 98 for a delphi3 application. No problem with that. But if i use windows xp for the same delphi 3 application, it doesn't follow the font codes. Can anyone tell me if you have encountered such problem? What must I do? Tsunade wrote: > > Hi! I'm using generic printing in windows 98 for a delphi3 application. > No problem with that. But if i use windows xp for the same delphi 3 > application, it doesn't follow the font codes. Can anyone tell me if > you have encountered such problem? What must I do? The ...

Windows XP vs Windows 2000
Hi all I have strong and powerful computer. It has Dual Xeon processor and 2G memory. The operation system that installed right now is Microsoft server 2003. We use Matlab 6.5 (R13) and Microsoft SQL server only ( without any other big program that may slowly the speed of the processing). We understood that this version of Matlab (6.5) never been tested on this Operation system, so we decided to replace it to tested one. We are think over two operation system: - Windows XP - Windows 2000 ( Server or workstation) The most significant performance that we care is the speed of the processing at ...

replacing windows xp with windows 2000
I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system preinstalled. Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem. The setup process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced by older ones despite the preference of the operator. Is there any way to get around this? If there is one I'd be very grateful for advise. Thanks. Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install Terry "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google...

Windows 2000 vs. Windows XP?
I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference and why? -O Ovid left a note on my windscreen which said: > I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference > and why? XP (Pro). Cause it's 2K with knobs on. -- Stoneskin [Insert sig here] On 5 Nov 2003 11:38:17 -0600, Ovid <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote: >I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference >and why? I don't use Windows a whole lot. But when I do, my own preference is ...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I have created a visual basic program that creates an activeX component. I used the package and deployment wizard and created the internet package cab file with no problems. When upload the cab file to my clients server, they can view the created .htm page perfectly with internet explorer on WindowsXP but when they try and view the .htm file on a windows2000 machine all they get is a small white box. The ActiveX control button never loads? Any ideas? I am about to go the other way. I developed a component in windows 2000 and we're going to upgrade to XP. Does anyone know where ...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there a way to somehow install it and have this service on Windows 2000 Pro? tf Greetings -- No. Bruce Chambers -- Help us help you: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -- RAH "Tomasz Frelik" <tomasz.frelik@enzo.pl> wrote in message news:bgt3er$vm6$1@news.lublin.pl... > I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there...

Can any Windows user be useful for a moment. Windows XP internet connection issue
Has anyone seen this: A friend of mine has an old Windows XP machine that has started to exhibit the odd behaviour where any data connection to something on the internet dies after about 300K of data. Local area transfers work fine, but if the source for the data is on the internet, it's no go. Any thoughts? Alan Baker wrote: > Has anyone seen this: > > A friend of mine has an old Windows XP machine that has started to > exhibit the odd behaviour where any data connection to something on the > internet dies after about 300K of data. Local area transfe...

Networking Windows 7 with Windows XP
My Windows 7 and Windows XP computers can't talk to each other. They have = the same workgroup and are in the same subnet. Windows 7 can ping XP by IP= address but not by hostname. Windows XP can't ping Windows 7 by IP addres= s or host name. They were talking to each other until I restored the XP co= mputer from a backup, so I don't think the issue is with Windows 7. Any id= eas? ...

How to implement Personal Area Network using Bluetooth between Windows XP and Windows Mobile devices?
Hi, I am having a Mobile Data Terminal (MDT) placed in a truck, which runs on "Windows XP" platform and can communicate to the back-end server for obtaining job requests/data. After obtaining job requests, MDT, in turn has to transfer the data through Bluetooth to 4 or 5 hand- held devices/PDAs connected to it (here MDT to act as a server to the PDAs which are connected to it). These PDAs each will be carried by work personnel to different locations within the vicinity. PDAs run on "Windows Mobile" platform. MDT and all 5 PDAs shall be paired so that data transfer can take...

Is it possible to use the Windows 2003 user names instead of pre-Windows 2000 user names in Windows Authentication?
Hello, I am trying to get username information by using User.Identity.Name.ToString, if i logged in with username to given network place, it is ok! It returns SERVERNAME/username. Otherwise if I logged in with "name.surname@SERVERNAME.com" it again returns SERVERNAME/username although i want it to return "name.surname". I changed the IIS server settings, checked digest authentication and tried the other things, too. But makes no difference. It is said to originated from Kerberos Authentication... If anyone can help me I will be appreciated. Thanks for now, MK IIS must be ...

IWPM For Windows 2000 To work with Windows XP?
Guys, Have you been able to get this beast to work with Windows XP? When I attempt to run the install program, it says it "Can not write PATH Key" and then quits. I am in Administration mode on the PC and can write to the PATH manually. Is there a newer viewer then Version 2 Release 3 Build 20001004? Thanks! ----------------------- James http://www.fordaspire.com -Web http://www.fordtaurus.net -Web jpiper2@gmail.com - Email ...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being invalid. Only files which follow the old filename convention of names being 8.3 can be copied. Anyone have thoughts on why this is happening? Thanks - Tim ...

Windows XP and Windows 98 Networking... Ugh...
Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I think it says something like the network path could not be found. I'm Just wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp... I know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something to do with my lack of knowledge of win nt. I havnt upgraded to xp yet...

windows 98Se and windows XP network help
I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each other's adress and get a reply via the command prompt, but neither can see the other in network neighbourhood. Any ideas?? Thanks Edward Fixed this too. edwardmluk@hotmail.com (Edward) wrote in message news:<5e8d667.0312300617.507186ac@posting.google.com>... > I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE > being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each > other's adress and get a repl...

[...]

Using Eudora 6.0.1.1 in Windows 2000/XP with Application Data Redirected to Windows 2003 Server
Does anybody have any experience with using Eudora 6.0 on Windows 2000/XP machines? Per the installation guide we are using Eudora with user data stored in the Application Data folder for the user. Problems have arisen as we've migrated to Windows 2003 Server and Active Directory. Users now have roaming profiles (stored on the server) and redirected folders (My Documents and Application Data) also stored on the server. Some users also are using laptops with 'Offline Files' turned on. The problems we are seeing are... - OWNER.LOK files are not getting deleted when Eudora quits (or they are getting syncronized from the Client Side Cache to the server on log out) causing multiple instance of Eudora messages. Proceeding with "Accept the consequences" is resulting in TOC and/or MBX corruption. - We seem to be getting corruption of IN.TOC on the file server. Does Eudora support writing this file over a network connection or only to the local machines file system? Thanks for any insight. Trevor Cooper UCSD ...

Connect XP Home to Windows 2000 Network
Trying to set up a peer to peer Windows 2000 network between 2 computers and share the Internet. One is windows 2000 desktop and the other is an xp laptop. I'm sharing internet and I don't have room on the laptop for two NICs so I'm forced to network through windows 2000. I end up with a windows 2000 network with one computer running xp. Problem is the same though, I can't get any of this to work out. Any ideas? I know the previous post by Josh is similar but thought there might be a way for my situation to work out. Thanks, Craig ...

Web resources about - Windows 2000 and Windows XP using Firewire connection - comp.networking.windows

Alec Baldwin, Tommy Hilfiger and a Designer With a ‘Downton’ Connection
It was something of a British invasion at Michael’s today with plenty of posh folks (Majesty magazine EIC Ingrid Seward , the always dashing ...

French (Canadian) connection helps Coyotes snap 7-game skid
The Arizona Coyotes defeat the Florida Panthers 5-1 Saturday behind a dominate performance by the team's French-Canadian players.

Quantum Break requires Internet connection for streaming cut scenes on PC
Single-player game puts videos in cloud to save disc and hard drive space. The idea of requiring an Internet connection for single-player gaming ...

Is There a Connection Between Caffeine and Depression?
Couple of years ago when I was trying to find a way out of my depression, I came across a lot of websites like these mindbodygreen.com or k-state.edu.com ...

4G Connections Hit One Billion as Mobile Broadband Momentum Extends to the Developing World
The number of 4G mobile connections worldwide has surpassed the one billion mark and is on track to account for a third of all mobile connections ...

Zika virus-microcephaly connection hunted in Brazil - CNN.com
Is the Zika virus linked to microcephaly? The CDC and Brazilian health officials are leading the first-ever large scale investigation to find ...

Smart city tech shows complex connections between data and sensors
... MWC, Parkeon and Sierra Wireless announced that Sierra Wireless AirPrime HL Series embedded modules will be used to enable cellular connections ...