Windows 2003 Server Network - Advice needed

I need some expert advice.  This is our following setup;
1x Windows 2000 Server (Staff), 1x Novell Server (Learners), 1x Antivirus
Server (W2000 Srv)

I am attempting to upgrade it all, we're getting rid of Novell and going for
2 seperate Windows 2003 Servers; one for the Learners, one for the Staff.
Oh and a new Windows 2003 Exchange Server for Staff emails.
My questions are these (if anyone can help);

1)  Would it be advisable to use two seperate Domains, one for the Learners,
one for the Staff and then link them
     (so each logon process is seperate) - if so how?
2)  How would I link the Exchange server to the Staff server
3)  Is there any extra software (eg: Windows ISA?) that can allow me to
switch internet off on any account on the learner servers (will we need
another server to handle this or can this be done via Windows Server 2003)
4)  Does Exchange 2003 allow Webmail whereas the staff can view their
accounts from home using just a web browser and logon details.
5)  I'm also going to change all the desktops to XP Pro, but I need to allow
certain members of staff to add/remove learner accounts easily - can this be
done from the desktops in anyway.
6)  Whats the main differences between Windows 2003 Server and Windows 2003
Server SBS - I have read up on it but wondered if there is any main
advantage over just using Windows 2003 Server.

Any help or advice at this stage would be grateful.
I would like to post here but are grateful if anyone can help me personally
as well.

Thanks,

Neil

0
Neil
10/21/2005 7:52:27 AM
comp.networking.windows 3090 articles. 0 followers. Kgoings (6) is leader. Post Follow

Those are a LOAD of questions. I would suggest you do a bit more research
before you attempt what you're suggesting. Designing and implementing a
domain structure is up to the engineer that designs it - after due
consideration - with a good working knowledge of how Windows domains
function. For all of the information you're asking for, you might consider
buying a book or two on AD and Exchange. I can tell you that what you are
doing will take a lot of planning and a lot of time to implement. It is
likely to be less than successful if you don't do it right, and your
organization could potentially be down for an extended period of time if the
whole thing fails to work as you hope.

That said:

1) A single domain model is just fine for even the largest organizations -
See OU's, delegation.

2) Exchange is AD Integrated.

3) There are many ways to control Internet access - usually you'd use a
firewall that requires a login to access the Internet - then you could
restrict individual access

4) Yes.

5) Administrators and/or delegated account managers can manage domain user
accounts - either with an MMC snap-in on workstations or via RDP for
administration - both without having to have physical access to the DC.

6) Basically you need to read the MS blurb. IMHO, SBS is fascist. There are
plenty of restrictions. But the price is compelling. Once again, you'll need
to buy what is right for your organization. SBS will "wizard" you through
the installation of a domain and Exchange. But don't let that fool you into
thinking it will just magically work when you click the last "OK" button.

....kurt

"Neil M" <nmansell@crowncollege.co.uk> wrote in message
>I need some expert advice.  This is our following setup;
> 1x Windows 2000 Server (Staff), 1x Novell Server (Learners), 1x Antivirus
> Server (W2000 Srv)
>
> I am attempting to upgrade it all, we're getting rid of Novell and going
> for
> 2 seperate Windows 2003 Servers; one for the Learners, one for the Staff.
> Oh and a new Windows 2003 Exchange Server for Staff emails.
> My questions are these (if anyone can help);
>
> 1)  Would it be advisable to use two seperate Domains, one for the
> Learners,
> one for the Staff and then link them
>     (so each logon process is seperate) - if so how?
> 2)  How would I link the Exchange server to the Staff server
> 3)  Is there any extra software (eg: Windows ISA?) that can allow me to
> switch internet off on any account on the learner servers (will we need
> another server to handle this or can this be done via Windows Server 2003)
> 4)  Does Exchange 2003 allow Webmail whereas the staff can view their
> accounts from home using just a web browser and logon details.
> 5)  I'm also going to change all the desktops to XP Pro, but I need to
> allow
> certain members of staff to add/remove learner accounts easily - can this
> be
> done from the desktops in anyway.
> 6)  Whats the main differences between Windows 2003 Server and Windows
> 2003
> Server SBS - I have read up on it but wondered if there is any main
> advantage over just using Windows 2003 Server.
>
> Any help or advice at this stage would be grateful.
> I would like to post here but are grateful if anyone can help me
> personally
> as well.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Neil

0
Kurt
10/21/2005 2:08:23 PM
Kurt makes some very good points. In addition, installing exchange on a
domain controller is not best practice. Before you begin I would read
this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx

psg

0
chrispsg
10/25/2005 8:45:59 PM
psg is right! Some of us have experienced the horrors of trying to migrate
an NT4 domain and Exchange 5.5 when Exchange was installed on the PDC. But
if you install 2K3 Small Business, that's exactly what it does. In fairness
to MS, it's a "package". Not very upgradable or configurable - but it
basically sets itself up. You just have to have somebody around to
administer it once it's installed!

"chrispsg" <ccalbreath@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Kurt makes some very good points. In addition, installing exchange on a
> domain controller is not best practice. Before you begin I would read
> this:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx
>
> psg

0
Kurt
10/26/2005 5:35:47 AM
right after all my reading and that i feel SBS is probably not the way to
go, so i'm gonna go for pure Windows 2003 Servers (x2) and 1x 2003 Exchange
Server

Although now I have a problem with domains, would it be better to have two
seperate domains on the same network (one for staff, one for learners) or
join them both.
The Tutors need to admin the learners accounts though - I know I can put the
admin program on their desktop machines and give them rights to do this but
my question is can they only view/.change/add certain account folders (eg:
Accounts / Learners not Accounts / Staff) thats if the accounts can be held
in folders much like Windows 2000 Server.

Thanks for the advice so far, I will probably be picking at all your brains
as and when I think of potential problems.
And you will all be happy to know I am going for the MCSE soon so I can
share my expertise with others at a later date.

Thanks.

Neil

"Kurt" <lorentzenkurt@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> psg is right! Some of us have experienced the horrors of trying to migrate
> an NT4 domain and Exchange 5.5 when Exchange was installed on the PDC. But
> if you install 2K3 Small Business, that's exactly what it does. In
fairness
> to MS, it's a "package". Not very upgradable or configurable - but it
> basically sets itself up. You just have to have somebody around to
> administer it once it's installed!
>
> "chrispsg" <ccalbreath@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Kurt makes some very good points. In addition, installing exchange on a
> > domain controller is not best practice. Before you begin I would read
> > this:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/messsyst.mspx

> > psg

0
Neil
10/26/2005 1:00:10 PM
Neil,

I would stick with one domain. You can use delegation to have certain
users administer certain OU's.

I would only split the two domains if you feel you need explicit
separation of administration of Active Directory.

In your case I would use delegation and then read up on using
Restricted Groups via group policy. This will ensure another low level
admin or attacker does not add them self to your more powerful groups.

psg

0
chrispsg
10/26/2005 3:44:35 PM
Ok thanks.  I will bear that in mind.
Another thing with administration and active directory - if Exchange links
via AO how do you physically link the exchange AO to the Windows 2003 Server
AO (which will be the main one for us to run)

I know it sounds a silly question but what is the procedure to link the two?

Regards

Neil

> Neil,
>
> I would stick with one domain. You can use delegation to have certain
> users administer certain OU's.
>
> I would only split the two domains if you feel you need explicit
> separation of administration of Active Directory.
>
> In your case I would use delegation and then read up on using
> Restricted Groups via group policy. This will ensure another low level
> admin or attacker does not add them self to your more powerful groups.
>
> psg

0
Neil
10/31/2005 9:38:36 AM
"Active Directory" (AD) must be prepared in advance of installing Exchange
using a tool called "forestprep" that adds the hooks and hives for the
mailboxes. When Exchange is installed, it expects to find an
"exchange-ready" domain.

> Ok thanks.  I will bear that in mind.
> Another thing with administration and active directory - if Exchange links
> via AO how do you physically link the exchange AO to the Windows 2003
> Server
> AO (which will be the main one for us to run)
>
> I know it sounds a silly question but what is the procedure to link the
> two?
>
> Regards
>

> Neil
>
> "chrispsg" <ccalbreath@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Neil,
>>
>> I would stick with one domain. You can use delegation to have certain
>> users administer certain OU's.
>>
>> I would only split the two domains if you feel you need explicit
>> separation of administration of Active Directory.
>>
>> In your case I would use delegation and then read up on using
>> Restricted Groups via group policy. This will ensure another low level
>> admin or attacker does not add them self to your more powerful groups.
>>
>> psg

0
Kurt

WINDOWS XP PRO --> WINDOWS 2003 SERVER
Hello, I want to add to the domain a computer but I can't. Client PC with Windows XP Pro can only see itself and the same with the windows 2003 server. The ping doesn't work. Maybe the problems are the IP numbers? Hardware is correctly installed and appears in both computers the network icon working. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. PeeWee You must get basic network TCP/IP connectivity working first. PING tests will help. Once that happens then try joining the PC to the domain. Can you describe your network and TCP/IP network addressing? ...

Windows Server 2003 Network Types?
Hi there, currently i am doing a reserach on the Microsoft Windows Server 2003. I was wondering if anyone could help me to find what are the types of networks that the Windows 2003 Server can manage. If anyone could suggest me some websites to go to, i would really appreciate it. I would like to know how these network diagrams look like. Thanks in advance for those who helped me find the websites. Please let me know the website URLs as i need to reference these findings. Thanks! Regards, Jess jesswess82@hotmail.com (jespreet) wrote in message news:<837add1a.0404250420.30bc0afe...

Windows Server 2003 Network Types?
Hi there, currently i am doing a reserach on the Microsoft Windows Server 2003. I was wondering if anyone could help me to find what are the types of networks that the Windows 2003 Server can manage. If anyone could suggest me some websites to go to, i would really appreciate it. I would like to know how these network diagrams look like. Thanks in advance for those who helped me find the websites. Please let me know the website URLs as i need to reference these findings. Thanks! Regards, Jess jesswess82@hotmail.com (jespreet) wrote in message news:<837add1a.0404250415.4c491c9f@posting.google.com>... > Hi there, currently i am doing a reserach on the Microsoft Windows > Server 2003. I was wondering if anyone could help me to find what are > the types of networks that the Windows 2003 Server can manage. If > anyone could suggest me > some websites to go to, i would really appreciate it. I would like to > know how these network diagrams look like. > Thanks in advance for those who helped me find the websites. Please > let me know the website URLs as i need to reference these findings. > Thanks! > > Regards, > Jess Maybe you should check out sites like the Homepage for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 which is www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/default.mspx... They have got all types of product information, technical references, sample demo as well as the networking commnuties. All the best! Melanie ...

Centos XP windows network DHCP DNS Zonealarm Conflicts -> can talk linux to windows network OR www not both
Centos 5.1 Windows XPSP2 Zonealarm Firewall Standard Windows workgroup. Router with DHCP server. Set centos for DHCP Zonealarm off System works. Turn on Zonealarm on XP, Centos is blocked from contacting XP. Put Centos IP address into Zonealarm trusted zone. Everything works...until reboot when Centos gets a new IP. Don't know how to give Centos a traditional windows workgroup hostname that I can put into Zonealarm...no problem, just use fixed IP address. Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't connect to the web. Is there a workaround to make all this work without breaking anything else on my windows workgroup? centos -> browse windows network centos -> surf www Windows Zonealarm Firewall enabled. ?? thanks,mike -- Return address is VALID! Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale Here: http://mike.liveline.de/sale.html On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 05:00:37 +0000, mike rearranged some electrons to say: > > Bug in Centos 5.1: Fixed IP address fails to setup DNS. So, now I can't > connect to the web. Uh, that's not a bug. If you're using a fixed IP address insread of DHCP, you have to tell it everything it would normally get from the DHCP server, including the IP address of your favorite DNS server (which your router gets from your ISP). PS: If you're still trying to run Linux inside a Virtual PC under Windoze (as I believe you were claiming to do in another newsgroup, against the advice of several people) then y...

How to find Windows computers on Windows Network?
I want to use Ruby to scan a Windows network for a set of files and replace them if they are out of date. I have been using a Python script which uses win32net to find all the computers on my network. I cannot find similar functionality in ruby, at least so far. Does anyone know where this capabilty can be found in ruby? Thanks in advance. On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:45:08 -0400, h.trammel@insightbb.com <h.trammel@insightbb.com> wrote: > I want to use Ruby to scan a Windows network for a set of files and > replace them if they are out of date. I have been using a Python > s...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

LAN Networking with Windows XP and Windows 98
hello, I have 3 computers: 2x with Windows XP Professional installed 1x with Windows 98 SE installed. I have knowledge on how to set up a simple lan and the configuration I think is correct, but whenever I have all 3 computers connected to my 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub I always get a collision whenever all 3 are logged on.... All I do is disconnect one of the cables from the hub and it fixes the problem....But I should be able to have 3 PC's connected to a four port hub otherwise there is no point having 4 ports.... Should the NIC's be set to 100Mbps - Full duplex??? Because that is w...

windows 98Se and windows XP network help
I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each other's adress and get a reply via the command prompt, but neither can see the other in network neighbourhood. Any ideas?? Thanks Edward Fixed this too. edwardmluk@hotmail.com (Edward) wrote in message news:<5e8d667.0312300617.507186ac@posting.google.com>... > I have a simple network involving a PC on XP and a laptop on 98SE > being connected together via a ethernet switch. They can both each > other's adress and get a repl...

Windows XP and Windows 98 Networking... Ugh...
Here is my problem, I have a Win 98 network, It works great with any computer as long as it is windows 98.. My friend has XP home and he can connect to my router and get on the internet, but file and print sharing doesn't work. I can see his computer on the network but I cant connect. I think it says something like the network path could not be found. I'm Just wondering if anybody could tell me what the trick is to networking xp... I know it has a lot of security features from NT and its probably something to do with my lack of knowledge of win nt. I havnt upgraded to xp yet...

Windows network with a Linux server
I'm sure there's already been a thread to cover this but I can't seem to find it. I currently have 2 PC's at home that are connected with an Apple Airport Express primarily for the wireless music streaming to my home entertainment system. The Airport Express is then plugged into my ADSL router so I have both PC's running on the same Internet connection. I've got another box that I now want to run as a server and am thinking of installing Linux on it as I know it's a lot safer than windows. How would I set this up so that Windows clients could connect to for the stored data and could the Internet connection be run through the Linux box with everything else using it as a proxy? I would also like to use it as a mail server and assume it's not possible to use Outlook on the Windows clients?? If I setup 2 different IP addresses for the router and the server I presume this will make it more secure but would it be possible to ftp to the box from outside my network? Thanks In comp.os.linux.networking Raeburn <ty.raeburn@gs.com>: > I'm sure there's already been a thread to cover this but I can't > seem to find it. > I currently have 2 PC's at home that are connected with an Apple > Airport Express primarily for the wireless music streaming to my home > entertainment system. The Airport Express is then plugged into my ADSL > router so I have both PC's running on the same Internet connection. > I've g...

Slow Windows 2003 network
I just installed Windows 2003 Standard Server on a 10Mbps LAN (10Base2), and found that pinging a remote host from the Windows 2003 took over 10ms. When I used Knoppix (linux) to ping the same remote host from that machine, I got a 0.5ms response. What is slowing down Windows 2003? I had already set my network card to work at 10base2 BNC mode, half-duplex. -- .~. Might, Courage, Vision. http://www.linux-sxs.org / v \ /( _ )\ Linux 2.4.30 ^ ^ 8:56pm up 2 days 9:05 load average: 0.40 0.79 0.89 ...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com (Rakib Hassan) wrote in message news:<1a0a9065.0309020146.582df00f@posting.google.com>... > news:<60f42cdd.0309011214.6f20358a@posting.google.com>... > Hi guys, > you must got problems in sharing permissions.if it doesnt work then > make a dc(win2000)and make the xp pc its(dc's) client.i hope it will > work. check your registry settings HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa Maybe there is a key FORCEGUEST, if yes, edit the value to 0 Just insert the XP CD choose preform other tasks and click set up network, follow the wizzard and it'll sort it out (worked for me) XP is against manual settings obviously. Do it with both machines (yes its legal, even recomended by MS - see wizzard) and you will be fine. Tarl ...

basic windows networking question: network resource access
I have a situation that I've kluged the solution to, was wondering if there is a more elegant way to do this.... If I have a resource (shared file) on a Win2K server that I access via UNC name from a Win2K Pro system, and for some reason the server is temporarily offline, any attempt to access the file causes the system running my program to hang for some period of time until the read/write attempt times out. To solve this, I first ICMP ping the server. If the server responds, I assume it is available for file read/write operations. This works, but can get pretty cumber...

Deployment of SNMP on all windows devices, windows XP , 2003 server
I was thinking one could use VBS or a login script to install SNMP components and services, using something like psexec. the client computers are windows xp pro with limited user accounts. And a few windows 2003 servers. Any one have any ideas? ...

Networking Windows 2K and XP
Here's a posting from a friend having problems setting up a Windows XP computer to share a Windows 2K network. <begin friend's quote> "At work, I've set up a brand new machine with XP, and now need to copy my files, etc to it from the old one. Our office is set up with a Win2K server plus 2 other machines besides mine. (so 4 in total) I can't seem to be able to get the network to work on any of the machines, to see my machine or mine to see them... I have now turned off the Firewall on the XP machine, its in the same workgroup as the others, I gave mys...

Networking With Windows
Hallooo -- Might there be any sort of network tuning parameters that can be tweaked on a Solaris system so that there will be fewer problems on a network dominated by Windows machines? I'm accustomed to just dropping machines on the wire, so to speak, without tweaking anything. But if there is something I could tweak, such as to avoid dropped database connections, it would be nice to know. ? ThanksButNo wrote: > Hallooo -- > > Might there be any sort of network tuning parameters > that can be tweaked on a Solaris system so that there > will be fewer problems on a netwo...

Windows XP PC cannot see Windows 98 machines on the network
I have a network hub with 4 computers, a printer server and a router with DSL connected to the hub. Ever since I changed one of the computers from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home, I can not see the other computers (running Windows 98) in the network from the computer that is running XP Home. I can not access the printer server either, but I am able to access the router and use the Internet. From the Windows 98 computers, I can see all four computers,the printer server, and the internet. Help, please. M. Bentolila ...

Windows network
I have set up an office network, but using Windows networking. This seems to be setting me up as a peer-to-peer network. While all computers have filing sharing turned on, only one is really used as a server for documents. How would I set this up to be a client-server setup, and is there a way that I could create folders on the server that would know which user it is connected to, and display user-specific information? (eg, each user on my network as a "P" drive which is theirs personally and they store all their personal documents on their P drive). Many thanks. ...

Linux Server
hi there i just installed RH Linux Server on one of my computers, i m having Windows 2000 installed on the other, i wanted to Set up a network connection between them, they both r physically connected to a Hub, and i have installed the NIC drivers on both the computers but dont know how to set up the network such that they both talk to each other, also i wanted to share my internet connection with my Linux Server, like we do internet sharing on Windows, my Windows 2000 server is connected to the internet, and we r sharing the internet connection throught the server, i wanted to share the internet with the Linux server also such that it get the internet through my WIndows 2000 server, any suggestions ?? hoping to get some good advice -Dumboo As long as they are both on the same subnet, they will be able to talk to each other. If you set the linux server to 192.168.0.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0 and the w2k server to 192.168.0.2 with the same subnet you should be able to ping between the two (check this before you go any further). For filesharing you will want software called Samba (samba.org). You will find so many walkthroughs on this topic so just google for them. You can download Webmin (webmin.com) for some easier administration. For internet sharing you will want IPTables (Linux Firewall in Webmin). I've written some stuff down to remind myself in case of trouble which might help you: www.georgehewitt.co.uk/help/iptables.htm HTH Dumboo wrote: > hi there &g...

Networking Windows?
I was just doing a small networking job for a friend, when they said they wanted to access the internet from a laptop running FC2/WINXPhome (while in FC), through a computer running WIN98FE's modem (56k). So I got windows to windows working. It worked perfectly; transferring huge files quickly. So I got to Linux to do anything, and not much happened. The eth0, which I made sure had the right hardware/software settings, could not read the IP address. I quickly looked up on the i-net, and found several different people with similar problems. I tryed every amb-related thing and everything cifs, and none of it worked. Please help me, it makes me look silly! Thanks ahead, Poly-poly man pyrophobicman@gmail.com wrote: > I was just doing a small networking job for a friend > The eth0, which I made sure had the right hardware/software settings, > could not read the IP address. I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do. The first stage in networking is to configure the computers in such a manner that they can "ping" each other. You will need to configure the Windows machine and the Linux machine with compatible IP addresses (eg 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2) If you want to use Windows as the internet gateway machine, you will need to install and configure appropriate internet gateway software on the Windows machine. A more ideal solution would be to attach a modem to the Linux machine, and use that as a gateway. You have got some learning to do, ...

Deployment of SNMP on all windows devices, windows XP , 2003 server
I was thinking one could use VBS or a login script to install SNMP components and services, using something like psexec. the client computers are windows xp pro with limited user accounts. And a few windows 2003 servers. Any one have any ideas? ...

how do i network with windows
I have 2 computers Desktop-- has Windows XP Only,small hard drive too small for dual boot Laptop--Dual boot, has Windows XP AND SuSE10 Linux External Hard Drive hook to BOTH computers through A/B switch I can switch between computers by Ctrl F11 the Windows XP is already sucessfully networked with both computers but i want to add SuSE 10 Linux to the networking so its a 3-way network between 2 computers can somone walk me through it ? thanks in advance Also..........I like to experiment so can a SECOND type of Linux which i have not bought yet be put on the External HD ? Something WAY different than SuSE ? can you reccomend One,prefereably thats easy to install,SuSe was very easy but i remember in 1998 i dabbled in Red Hat in which i was clueless. thanx UnlimitedEddie@msn.com edwardonthewebb@msn.com On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:06:01 GMT, Coffeehouse Schmuck <gotanygum@verizon.net> wrote: > Also..........I like to experiment so can a SECOND type of Linux which i > have not bought yet be put on the External HD ? Something WAY different > than SuSE ? > can you reccomend One,prefereably thats easy to install,SuSe was very > easy but i remember in 1998 i dabbled in Red Hat in which i was clueless. > You might try Slackware or Gentoo or Debian, or browse at distrowatch.org. -- If mathematically you end up with the wrong answer, try multiplying by the page number. ...

How do I remotely access Scheduled Tasks from Windows XP to Windows Server 2003?
How can I access and manipulate Scheduled Tasks in Windows using Python? I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows 2003 servers. It works great. However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the scheduled tasks (on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then manipulate those task settings. At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then be able to disable and re-enable those tasks at will. It would be better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that I could only disable selected tasks, but I'll any help I can get. Thanks, "kj7ny" wrote: > How can I access and manipulate Scheduled Tasks in Windows using > Python? > > I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the > win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows > 2003 servers. It works great. > > However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the > scheduled tasks (on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then > manipulate those task settings. > > At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then > be able to disable and re-enable those tasks at will. It would be > better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that > I could only disable selected tasks, but I'll any help I can get. > > Thanks, > Pywin32 comes with a ...

Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003
This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who don't/can't subscribe to the microsoft groups. The original thread can be read here: <URL: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.scripting.jscript/browse_frm/thread/91bd7c8dfe3c8a9f/a80a764bfb34d2ee#a80a764bfb34d2ee> Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows 2000 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c03d3e49-b40e-4ca1-a0c7-cc135ec4d2be&displaylang=en&tm> Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows XP <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=47809025-d896-482e-a0d6-524e7e844d81&displaylang=en&tm> Download details: Windows Script 5.7 for Windows Server 2003 <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=f00cb8c0-32e9-411d-a896-f2cd5ef21eb4&displaylang=en&tm> -- Randy Chance Favors The Prepared Mind comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/ In comp.lang.javascript message <fZ-dnUyF3KVAA1nbRVn_vw@giganews.com>, Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:00:49, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtHome@aol.com> posted: >This post was originally made in microsoft.public.scripting.jscript by >Michael Harris and I am reposting it here for the people who >don't/can't subscribe to the...

adding RedHat file server to Windows Network
Everyone in my office uses Windows XP. We recently acquired a Red Hat linux server from Dell. We'll use it to run a webserver and some computationally-intensive math programs. I have been playing with samba, and it looks like in order for that to work, users must make sure their linux password matches their windows password. Is there a way to avoid this? TIA. ...

Web resources about - Windows 2003 Server Network - Advice needed - comp.networking.windows

The Windows Blog

Microsoft Extends Skylake Support On Windows 7 And Windows 8.1
... As part of the announcement, going forward, the latest processors and chipsets would only be supported on the current version of Windows. As ...

Skylake support on Windows 7 and 8.1 given a one year extension
Microsoft announced earlier this year that support for Skylake processors in Windows 7 and 8.1 would be quite limited: compatibility, reliability, ...

How to watch Apple's iPhone SE event live from iOS, OS X and Windows 10 devices
... not always allow PC users to watch its events live (at least not officially), but this time the company has decided to open the door to Windows ...

Microsoft backtracks on Windows 7 support deadline
Microsoft today retreated from an earlier retirement date for Windows 7 and 8.1 support on newer hardware, saying that it would now support those ...

Microsoft Begins Windows 10 Rollout for Windows Phone 8.1
Many, but not all, owners of older Windows smartphones can finally upgrade their handsets.

Microsoft gives Skylake a one-year reprieve, will support Windows 7 through 2017
Microsoft has backed down from its plans to kill Skylake support for Windows 7 by the middle of next year. Instead, it will continue to provide ...

Mac extends its lead over Linux among software developers, chipping away at Windows
... of what developers do and who they are in 2016. Desktop operating systems used by developers. Image via Stack Overflow When combining Windows ...