It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?

IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those
is a laptop.   Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is
the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize
that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator
sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought them, I set them up
and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop referring to some
mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the soapbox)...

does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and off.

(notso) Smart-Alex

0
Smart
10/7/2004 4:19:45 PM
comp.networks 2283 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Alex,

You didn't say anything about the type of network or the arrangement.  You
need to:

All wired ethernet or some wireless?

Is there a switch, router, hub, ???? what connects the computers together?
Brand and model.

Are you using "Get an address automatically" or setting IP addresses
manually?

If you run the Command Prompt / "DOS window" program on each computer:
(Start / Run / CMD <return/enter>
You will get a black window with something like:
C:\xxxx\xxxx>      <--and you will type right here

Type:
IPCONFIG <return/enter>

what results do you get for each computer?
When it's working?
When it's not working?

Fred

"Smart-Alex" <smartalex@zipspots.com> wrote in message
> IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
> We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of
> those is a laptop.   Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
> files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
> later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
> in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part
> is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you
> realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal
> Administrator sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought
> them, I set them up and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop
> referring to some mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the soapbox)...
>
> does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and off.
>
> (notso) Smart-Alex

0
Fred
10/7/2004 6:53:29 PM
Fred
To answer your question...

It's a wired network with a D-Link 10/100 Switch connecting the 3 computers.

The Laptop is an Dell Inspiron 4100...the other two are custom..with AMD2600
processors in both. One has 512 and the other 1G of Ram.

I am set it to get address automatically.

I get a different IP for each. The computer that accesses the web is
198.168.0.1 and the other are the same with 198.168.0. ---- with different
final 3 numbers.

There is no rhyme or reason as to when or under what circumstances that it
doesn't work. Sometimes, the Laptop is invisible...sometimes it my wife's
computer...sometimes in both directions...other times in just one.

Does this help?

Alex

"Smart-Alex" <smartalex@zipspots.com> wrote in message
> IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
> We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of
> those is a laptop.   Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
> files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
> later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
> in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part
> is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you
> realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal
> Administrator sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought
> them, I set them up and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop
> referring to some mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the soapbox)...
>
> does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and off.
>
> (notso) Smart-Alex

0
Smart
10/8/2004 8:23:23 PM
Alex,

Well, it helps a bit but leaves out a lot of critical information.

You didn't say anything about "the web" before did you?  So now I'm curious
regarding how you connect to the web.  Either
- one of the computers has two NICs and is running internet connection
sharing (ICS),
- has USB to modem plus ethernet to LAN running ICS or
- the D-Link box is more than a "switch" and is actually a router that
connects to the web via DSL.  You didn't provide a model number so ....
- or .......

If the addresses are in the range 192.168.0.xxx then the D-Link box is
likely a router with DHCP enabled - and not a simple switch.  Or, perhaps
this is being set up with DHCP and ICS on one of the computers using a
dialup connection to the internet?

I can imagine this as a possibility:
- The cables are home-made and aren't correctly wired.  You can build a
cable with consistent pin-outs that is still incorrect because of the misuse
of the twisted pairs.  The order of the wires isn't intuitively obvious.....
Depending on the length of incorrect cables, they may work, not work or be
flaky depending on their surroundings.
- See http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm for a good
description of how to wire the cables.  EIA/TIA 568 B is the most common
standard in use these days.

> Fred
> To answer your question...
>
> It's a wired network with a D-Link 10/100 Switch connecting the 3
> computers.
>
> The Laptop is an Dell Inspiron 4100...the other two are custom..with
> AMD2600
> processors in both. One has 512 and the other 1G of Ram.
>
> I am set it to get address automatically.
>
> I get a different IP for each. The computer that accesses the web is
> 198.168.0.1 and the other are the same with 198.168.0. ---- with different
> final 3 numbers.
>
> There is no rhyme or reason as to when or under what circumstances that it
> doesn't work. Sometimes, the Laptop is invisible...sometimes it my wife's
> computer...sometimes in both directions...other times in just one.
>
> Does this help?
>
> Alex
>

> "Smart-Alex" <smartalex@zipspots.com> wrote in message
>> IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
>> We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of
>> those is a laptop.   Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
>> files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
>> later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
>> in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part
>> is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you
>> realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal
>> Administrator sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought
>> them, I set them up and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop
>> referring to some mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the
>> soapbox)...
>>
>> does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and
>> off.
>>
>> (notso) Smart-Alex

0
Fred
10/8/2004 11:52:18 PM
Fred...sorry...it's DSL I connect using a USB Alcatel modem. I connect from
my computer and I have an VIA Rhine II ethernet card.
The model # of the Switch is a D-Link DSS-5+

I am using the regular ethernet cables...not cross-over. Two computers are
fed by 25ft cables.

One of the main problems seems to be the message, "you do not have
permisssion"...then an hour later I do....then later I don't again.

Alex

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so.
>>> We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of
>>> those is a laptop.   Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer
>>> files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then
>>> later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us
>>> in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part
>>> is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you
>>> realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal
>>> Administrator sitting his ivory tower. They are MY computers, I bought
>>> them, I set them up and I am His Majesty the Royal Administrator so stop
>>> referring to some mysterious third party. (ok..so much for the
>>> soapbox)...
>>>
>>> does anyone know why networks go on and off and on and off and on and

0
Smart
10/10/2004 11:08:45 PM
Alex,

Yeah but you didn't say if the cables were home-made or manufactured and
whether the wiring method was in accordance with EIA/TIA 568 B or something
nonstandard or .....  This could very well matter....   Yes, straight
cables, not crossover.

Hmmmmm... OK, you didn't say that any of the computers can't reach the
internet did you?  Assuming that's the case - that you can reach the
internet on all of them - then it sounds like a network browsing problem.
I would suggest two things:
1) Make sure the workgroup is the same on all the computers.
2) have only TCP/IP protocol installed on each of the interfaces - not
NetBEUI and not IPX.
3) Wait for a while - at least 30 minutes.
4) See if all computers now can't see all other computers.....
Note: if you are turning the computers off and on a lot or if you are
rebooting a lot then you could be losing the network browser configuration.
I think the best way to solve this is to leave one of the computers turned
on all the time.
Then, assuming the laptop is connected only some of the time, do this to the
laptop:

Stop/disable the "Computer Browser" service.  You can use the services
control panel (or right-click "My Computer" --> Manage --> Services) to
stop the service then set the startup parameter for the service to "on
demand" or "disable".  The machine will still be able to browse the
network but it can't become browse master.

Also see:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?
url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcf_omn_mzox.asp

> [...]
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> "Smart-Alex" <smartalex@zipspots.com> wrote in message
>>> Fred
>>> To answer your question...
>>>
>>> It's a wired network with a D-Link 10/100 Switch connecting the 3
>>> computers.
>>>
>>> The Laptop is an Dell Inspiron 4100...the other two are custom..with
>>> AMD2600
>>> processors in both. One has 512 and the other 1G of Ram.
>>>
>>> I am set it to get address automatically.
>>>
>>> I get a different IP for each. The computer that accesses the web is
>>> 198.168.0.1 and the other are the same with 198.168.0. ---- with
>>> different final 3 numbers.
>>>
>>> There is no rhyme or reason as to when or under what circumstances that
>>> it doesn't work. Sometimes, the Laptop is invisible...sometimes it my
>>> wife's computer...sometimes in both directions...other times in just

0
Fred
10/11/2004 1:13:59 AM
No the cables were bought at Staples.

> [...]
>>> - or .......
>>>
>>> If the addresses are in the range 192.168.0.xxx then the D-Link box is
>>> likely a router with DHCP enabled - and not a simple switch.  Or,
>>> perhaps this is being set up with DHCP and ICS on one of the computers
>>> using a dialup connection to the internet?
>>>
>>> I can imagine this as a possibility:
>>> - The cables are home-made and aren't correctly wired.  You can build a
>>> cable with consistent pin-outs that is still incorrect because of the
>>> misuse of the twisted pairs.  The order of the wires isn't intuitively
>>> obvious.....
>>> Depending on the length of incorrect cables, they may work, not work or
>>> be flaky depending on their surroundings.
>>> - See http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm for a good
>>> description of how to wire the cables.  EIA/TIA 568 B is the most common

0
Smart

Error? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s'));
Hi, I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong with this command? s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); The matlab syntax is -- assignin(ws, 'var', val) Basically I just want to add s=tf('s') into the base workspace. Jack "Jack" <Jack@Jill.com> wrote in message news:ef3e449.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP... > Hi, > I need a little help here. Could anyone please tell me what is wrong > with this command? > > s = assignin('base','s',tf('s')); > > The matlab syntax is -- as...

It's primitive; it's dumb; it's brittle--but it's AI.
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/aisource.html is a pathway to the http://code.google.com/p/mindforth AI project at Google Code. The AI is primitive because it has only enough features to demon- strate thinking. It is "dumb" inasmuch as it has barely any IQ. It is extremely brittle because the slightest change in the code can destroy the artificial mind crafted so painstakingly in Forth: Arthur -- http://agi-roadmap.org/Milestones -- ten years of progress. ...

100's of frames and 100's of alpha's into transparant GIF or PNG's
I render game sprites/floor tiles using lightwave. I output the frames and I output an alpha-image so I can seperate the objects from the renderings. I used to combine the alpha and the render in photoshop by hand, as photoshop can only load one batch of source files in it's action-macros. Now that the spritecount has risen into the double digits, I'm looking for a way to combine 100's of frames and 100's of alpha's into transparant GIF or PNG's. I have had no luck in photoshop for this, it only lets me specify one source folder per action. Does anyone have a clever ...

Python's __getattr__, Perl's autoload, Ruby's method_missing, and Smalltalk's #doesNotUnderstand
I'm still new here, and I just completed reading CLTL's documentation on packages and On Lisp's documentation on CLOS. It doesn't appear that Lisp has the equivalent of Python's __getattr__, Perl's autoload, Ruby's method_missing, and Smalltalk's #doesNotUnderstand. That is, there is no way I can do this (without new-function being defined): (new-function) and have it call some other function like this: (missing-symbol 'new-function) whose returning value will be evaluated as the value of new-function. Or did I miss something? Jonathan Gardner <...

1 to 20 with x number of 1's, 2's, 3's, ... 20's
This is probably a simple thing to do, so perhaps someone would send me in the right direction. I need to generate a list containing numbers from 1 to 20, say. But I cant just use A = 1:20, for example, because that provides me only one instance of each of the values. What I need is X instances for each value. For example, 5 ones, twos, threes, and so forth. Is there a simple command for this? Regards, Ulrik. On Sep 9, 10:52=A0am, "Ulrik Nash" <u...@sam.sdu.dk> wrote: > This is probably a simple thing to do, so perhaps someone would send me i= n the right dir...

The iPhone's features: What's new, what's not
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9733965-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt Unless you've cut yourself off from all media access this year, you know that on Friday, June 29 Apple will release its iPhone with AT&T. Ever since the device's unveiling last January, the tech world has been running in circles asking what the iPhone will be like, what it will do, and how it will do it. But because Apple hasn't been the leakiest of faucets when it comes to specs, the hype has resulted in a lot of speculation instead. Of course, that will all change in several days, as you can be sure everyone lucky...

Nvidia's 'Nalu' vs ATI's 'Ruby'
http://karpo.org/images/Dunno/Ruby.jpg Nvidia's GeForce 6800 (NV40) 'Nalu' demo consists of 300,000 polygons. very very impressive shit! ATI's Radeon X800 (R420) 'Ruby' demo consists of only 80,000 polygons. however it is also rendering a background with other elements. closer to what would be in an actual game. now, console gamers: keep in mind, whatever ATI has been able to come up with at this point (re: the R420 / Radeon X800) is a stepping stone to what they'll be able to have in 2005 for Xbox Next, and in 2006 for GCNext :) On 14 Apr 2004 21:33:15 -0700, n...

Nvidia's 'Nalu' vs ATI's 'Ruby'
http://karpo.org/images/Dunno/Ruby.jpg Nvidia's GeForce 6800 (NV40) 'Nalu' demo consists of 300,000 polygons. very very impressive shit! ATI's Radeon X800 (R420) 'Ruby' demo consists of only 80,000 polygons. however it is also rendering a background with other elements. closer to what would be in an actual game. now, console gamers: keep in mind, whatever ATI has been able to come up with at this point (re: the R420 / Radeon X800) is a stepping stone to what they'll be able to have in 2005 for Xbox Next, and in 2006 for GCNext :) On 14 Apr 2004 21:33:15 -0700, n...

JSP, Servlet's, EJB's, Bean's?
I am currently developing an application where I call command line programs and capture the output. This is fine. What I am doing is creating a web interface for these programs using JSP/Servlets. What I would like to do is be able to call these programs. Using buttons or something, and dumping the output into a text area. I have a servlet that I generates the output that I need. My question is How do I get that output into the textarea? When I call a new function I want to be able to append the text to the end of the text area. I was told in another group that I would need a...

FS: 280R's, Blade 2000's, X7052A's
Arriving today: (qty 8) Sun 280Rs (qty 13) Sun Blade 2000s (qty 8) Sun Blade 1000s All with X7009A 900MHz Processors (qty 15) X7052A 4GB Memory Kits (qty 14) 501-5149 440MHz Processors for Ultra 10 (qty 2) N25DUTA19S512AV1 NETRA 120, 650MHZ, 512MB, 36GB (DC POWER) Give me a shout with what you need. Thanks, Chris Patterson chris@mce.com (888) 733-4400 Ext # 136 Minicomputer Exchange, Inc. http://www.mce.com ...

It's a Bird, It's a plane, no! umm, it's a Distributed Agent?
Hello, Some months ago I showed up here after I had just finished a big part of a project that has been morphing for 4 years. It all started with the simple concept of using a DSL for experts to author directly using a garden variety script language. The complexity "exploded" on us because of the low quality of the data we were web-scraping. One thing had led to another and another and at one point I just decided to start testing a concept that said "the data will be carefully controlled and there will be a module of code controlling and serving the data of the st...

It's a Bird, it's a plane, no! umm, it's Super Boid?
Hey Guys, I have something actually working that seems allot like Swarm Technology to me. The system features many smaller parts that seem allot like "Boids" (or "Agents"). I'd be tempted to call them "Dorts" because they get thrown straight at the target and fire on my machine at about 2,000 per second (in 1.9). Not very "natural" - one would not want to have mosquitoes able to do that :) There's no "in-flight" communication between the Boids - their life cycle involves trying to attain values for a list of required attributes an...

Referencing an Image's Map's Link's Details
Hi All, I have scoured my JavaScript book, but can't find the answer, so I hope that you can help... I have a banner on my webpage, called (creatively) "banner". This banner uses a map called "bannerMap". The map has an area called "homeLink". The area's href is "home.htm". How do I reference this href? I have tried: document.bannerMap.homeLink.href - FAILED document.banner.bannerMap.homeLink.href - FAILED document.homeLink.href - FAILED document.banner.homeLink.href - FAILED Has anyone tried this before? Is it possible? What is the answer?!...

What's the correllation between File I/O's and Disk I/O's
Hi We have a client that is getting poor response times. But it's not consistant. One person may have no problems one day while another is having huge delays, and the next day it's vice versa. The system we have does a lot of data entry. Depending on the data entered, a validation against files is required. We've done a lot of investigation into this, and one thing that we have noticed is that the number of Disk I/O's increases much faster than the File I/O's requested. One thing noticed was they had 9 disks, and disk 1 was going to 70-80% utilisation (WRKDSKSTS), which ...

Web resources about - It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY? - comp.networks