Server can see client but client cannot see server

Did a real quick setup of my new netgear wireless equipment.

My desktop server is connected to a port on my wireless router and my
laptop (client) has a wireless card.

The server can see, ping,  and connect the the client's shared folder.
No problem there.

However, the client (windows 2003) cannot ping or see the Server
(windows 2003). It does see the wireless router and can ping to it and
it connects to it fine.

Any quick suggestions are welcome. I'm a programmer and I'm a bonehead
around networks.

Thanks,
Eric
0
epaetz41
6/11/2004 4:06:23 PM
comp.networks 2283 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

epaetz41@hotmail.com (Eric) wrote in message news:<bff806e9.0406110806.1346b7bd@posting.google.com>...
> Did a real quick setup of my new netgear wireless equipment.
>
> My desktop server is connected to a port on my wireless router and my
> laptop (client) has a wireless card.
>
> The server can see, ping,  and connect the the client's shared folder.
> No problem there.
>
> However, the client (windows 2003) cannot ping or see the Server
> (windows 2003). It does see the wireless router and can ping to it and
> it connects to it fine.
>
> Any quick suggestions are welcome. I'm a programmer and I'm a bonehead
> around networks.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

I am not really sure about how Win2003 handles this, but you may
like to run the Network Setup wizard to setup a home network. This
should be available in "My Network Places". You need to keep both
machines on and run this wizard on both the machines. This should
hopefully solve your problem. (Can you see your desktop machine
in ur workgroup computers, available in "My Network Places"?)
0
b_gandhi2k
6/12/2004 4:33:55 AM
What is the client OS?  They could be different work groups.  Activate
Active Directory Services on Win2k3 once promoted make your client log
on to the server.  Keep in mind Win2k3 was built with security in
mind.  EVERYTHING IS OFF.  If you want a particular service to be
running you have to enable them.  This is for the most part ofcourse.
0
SekureSupport
6/12/2004 11:43:22 AM
It was a software firewall on the machine that I was trying to connect/ping to.
Thanks.