Win 2000 server and Win 2000 pro network problems

    Hi,

    I'm setting up a network with a server and one client. The server has a
two NIC's ( one for the cable connection and the other for the client ). The
problem is that the client can't connect to the internet. I have the server
assigning an IP for the client using DHCP. The client and the server can
connect to each other and share files but for some reason neither can ping
each. Is there some way that the server can be used as a router and have the
client connect to the internet?

    Thanks

0
Bryan
7/9/2004 4:52:05 AM
comp.networks 2283 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Hi, again

I forgot to mention that the server connects to the internet without a
problem. Any help or links to help on the net would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

"Bryan" <kashmir76@rogers.com> wrote in message
>     Hi,
>
>     I'm setting up a network with a server and one client. The server has
> two NIC's ( one for the cable connection and the other for the client ).
The
> problem is that the client can't connect to the internet. I have the
server
> assigning an IP for the client using DHCP. The client and the server can
> connect to each other and share files but for some reason neither can ping
> each. Is there some way that the server can be used as a router and have
the
> client connect to the internet?
>
>     Thanks

0
Bryan
7/9/2004 4:54:56 AM
There are MANY MANY things you have to do to get this to work
properly.  Do you have active directory set up?  DHCP set up correctly
and DNS?  Do you have the VPN and Router service set up correctly?

An easier thing to do here is getting a linksys router. put them allon
the same subnet, let the router worry about all your configurations
and you will have nothing to trouble shoot.  Check your event viewer
you WILL find where to look in there.
0
SekureSupport
7/10/2004 1:35:02 PM
When you set up DNS for the firs time on your server, it will put a
root entry into it.  This is simply "." without the speechmarks.  You
will have to delete this entry before any of the other PC's can
connect to the internet.  MS have publish a lot of articles about this
and it is a common problem in W2K Server.

Hope this helps...

San-J

"Bryan" <kashmir76@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<VvpHc.117815$rCA1.87479@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> Hi,
>
>     I'm setting up a network with a server and one client. The server has a
> two NIC's ( one for the cable connection and the other for the client ). The
> problem is that the client can't connect to the internet. I have the server
> assigning an IP for the client using DHCP. The client and the server can
> connect to each other and share files but for some reason neither can ping
> each. Is there some way that the server can be used as a router and have the
> client connect to the internet?
>
>     Thanks
0
sanjayit