Cooperations discover retro-computing by emulation

This is not CP/M - 8080 or Z80 related, sorry for beeing
off topic, but I find this very interesting.

Looks like Nintendo is working on a NES retro console. Originally
the NES was a 6502 system running @ 2MHz, they emulate the system
on a 4 core ARM SoC.

Article in german:
http://www.golem.de/news/nes-classic-mini-nintendos-retro-konsole-hat-vier-kerne-und-256-mbyte-ram-1611-124307.html

On Reddit in english:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/5avo9m/nes_classic_hardware_if_this_picture_is_true/

Interesting that now also the cooperations rebuild their old
systems with emulation on modern hardware. This is not some
spare time hobby project, the german article says the NES
classic mini will be available from Nintendo at November 11th.

One could guess that they also might build Z80 based Gameboy emulations
sometime in the future.
0
Udo
11/8/2016 3:37:57 PM
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

--2115017584-2108812199-1478620215=:28672

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016, Udo Munk wrote:

> This is not CP/M - 8080 or Z80 related, sorry for beeing
> off topic, but I find this very interesting.
>
> Looks like Nintendo is working on a NES retro console. Originally
> the NES was a 6502 system running @ 2MHz, they emulate the system
> on a 4 core ARM SoC.
>
> Article in german:
> http://www.golem.de/news/nes-classic-mini-nintendos-retro-konsole-hat-vie=
r-kerne-und-256-mbyte-ram-1611-124307.html

> On Reddit in english:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/5avo9m/nes_classic_hardware_if=
_this_picture_is_true/

> Interesting that now also the cooperations rebuild their old
> systems with emulation on modern hardware. This is not some
> spare time hobby project, the german article says the NES
> classic mini will be available from Nintendo at November 11th.
>
> One could guess that they also might build Z80 based Gameboy emulations
> sometime in the future.

They've had Virtual Console on the Wii (U) and 2/3DS for some time, and=20
that includes in the latter case some GB titles (I know some of the=20
first-generation Pok=C3=A9mon games, which were for the original Game Boy, =
run=20
on the 3DS through emulation).

-uso.
--2115017584-2108812199-1478620215=:28672--
0
Steve
11/8/2016 3:50:14 PM
On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 4:50:16 PM UTC+1, Steve Nickolas wrote:

> They've had Virtual Console on the Wii (U) and 2/3DS for some time, and=
=20
> that includes in the latter case some GB titles (I know some of the=20
> first-generation Pok=C3=A9mon games, which were for the original Game Boy=
, run=20
> on the 3DS through emulation).

Ah, I didn't know that because I don't have game consoles.
During the 90's I was contacted by Nintendo, if they could
use z80pack for their stuff, but I never got any feedback
if it was used and what for.
0
Udo

--2115017584-1769739406-1478624263=:33002

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016, Udo Munk wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 4:50:16 PM UTC+1, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>
>> They've had Virtual Console on the Wii (U) and 2/3DS for some time, and
>> that includes in the latter case some GB titles (I know some of the
>> first-generation Pok=C3=A9mon games, which were for the original Game Bo=
y, run
>> on the 3DS through emulation).
>
> Ah, I didn't know that because I don't have game consoles.
> During the 90's I was contacted by Nintendo, if they could
> use z80pack for their stuff, but I never got any feedback
> if it was used and what for.

I have a 2DS, but nothing else that would run the stuff.  (And I can't=20
find it, but it only has two games, and neither emulated).

Actually, I found out about the Pok=C3=A9mon stuff on 3DS because I've oper=
ated=20
a Pok=C3=A9mon-related IRC channel for a decade. ;)

-uso.
--2115017584-1769739406-1478624263=:33002--
0
Steve
11/8/2016 4:57:42 PM
On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 16:57:44 UTC, Steve Nickolas  wrote:

> I have a 2DS, but nothing else that would run the stuff.  (And I can't
> find it, but it only has two games, and neither emulated).

In order to run GB games you need a GB emulator for the 2DS (probably a flashcard too, to run homebrew emuls)
0
Chris
11/9/2016 12:07:05 PM
On Wed, 9 Nov 2016, Chris "xc8" wrote:

> On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 16:57:44 UTC, Steve Nickolas  wrote:
>>
>> I have a 2DS, but nothing else that would run the stuff.  (And I can't
>> find it, but it only has two games, and neither emulated).
>
> In order to run GB games you need a GB emulator for the 2DS (probably a flashcard too, to run homebrew emuls)

We were talking about official emulations, like Virtual Console.

-uso.
0
Steve
11/9/2016 2:15:01 PM
Am 08.11.2016 um 16:37 schrieb Udo Munk:
> This is not CP/M - 8080 or Z80 related, sorry for beeing
> off topic, but I find this very interesting.
>
> Looks like Nintendo is working on a NES retro console. Originally
> the NES was a 6502 system running @ 2MHz, they emulate the system
> on a 4 core ARM SoC.
>
> Article in german:
> http://www.golem.de/news/nes-classic-mini-nintendos-retro-konsole-hat-vier-kerne-und-256-mbyte-ram-1611-124307.html
>
> On Reddit in english:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/5avo9m/nes_classic_hardware_if_this_picture_is_true/
>
> Interesting that now also the cooperations rebuild their old
> systems with emulation on modern hardware. This is not some
> spare time hobby project, the german article says the NES
> classic mini will be available from Nintendo at November 11th.
>
> One could guess that they also might build Z80 based Gameboy emulations
> sometime in the future.

we-ell, this isn't Z80 or CP/M either, but more to the like of us
"nerds" here ...

   http://www.daftmike.com/2016/07/NESPi.html

And: Yes, it has cartridges for the games! ;-)
0
Mathias
11/11/2016 6:10:11 PM
On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 7:10:11 PM UTC+1, Mathias Neuhaus wrote:

> we-ell, this isn't Z80 or CP/M either, but more to the like of us
> "nerds" here ...
>
>    http://www.daftmike.com/2016/07/NESPi.html
>
> And: Yes, it has cartridges for the games! ;-)

That all "nerds" do these kind of thing always was the case, but that large companies
make real products this way was new to me, quite interesting.
0
Udo