Copying Osborne disks

Hi - I am able to read and write Osborne single density disks on my kaypro =
4-84 using mfdisk but I am looking for a program that will let me make copi=
es of Osborne disks on the kaypro, most importantly being able to duplicate=
 the boot track. Anyone have and ideas how?
0
William
9/7/2016 11:20:29 PM
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 6:20:30 PM UTC-5, William Hicks wrote:
> Hi - I am able to read and write Osborne single density disks on my kaypr=
o 4-84 using mfdisk but I am looking for a program that will let me make co=
pies of Osborne disks on the kaypro, most importantly being able to duplica=
te the boot track. Anyone have and ideas how?

All single density disks are difficult to deal with.

There are many programs meant to read and write the files off of different =
disk formats.  That does not mean they can create bootable disks.

There are 3 basic ways to get an Osborne bootable disk:

1.  Ask someone with a running system to copy a boot disk for you.

2.  Find an old PC that handles FM and use teledisk/imagedisk.

3. Get a disk emulator like http://lotharek.pl/download.php and load a disk=
 image on it.

By far the easiest is to get someone with an Osborne to make a bootable dis=
k (ask for a spare just in case).  Before sticking a boot disk into an old =
drive you should clean the drive including the head and check the head load=
 pad (soft felt pad that pressed the disk against the head).

While the Osborne disk drive appear to be standard Shugart drives they are =
in fact modified.  Power is supplied over the 34 pin cable.  Please note it=
 would be trivial to make special cables to use Osborne drives on other mac=
hines or vice-versa.

Randy
0
randy482
9/8/2016 12:33:49 AM
I already have the boot disk - I want to make copies - my kaypro can read it so  looking for a copy program that will work with the kaypro
0
William
9/8/2016 8:03:52 PM
On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 3:03:52 PM UTC-5, William Hicks wrote:
> I already have the boot disk - I want to make copies - my kaypro can read it so  looking for a copy program that will work with the kaypro

As I said it won't do it.

The Kaypro can read and write the files.

To make a boot disk you need to use an Osborne, an old PC with FM support using teledisk/image disk, or a floppy emulator.

Randy
0
randy482