CP/M-86 and HDD problem

Hello, all.

I am trying to get back into CP/M after a 20+ year hiatus. I decided to go =
with CP/M-86 because I'm a classic PC nut. That said, I started with Freek =
Heite's "special" 720kb disk image of CP/M-86 1.1. Here's the problem I'm h=
aving:

Using HDMAINT, CP/M-86 "sees" my HDD and can format it. What I don't unders=
tand however is that it insists on referring to the HDD as B:, in the HDMAI=
NT program. This doesn't allow me to PIP the CPM.SYS file to my HDD once fo=
rmatting is complete and the machine is rebooted. Why? Because drive B: is =
a diskette drive (360kb 5.25"), much like A: is (720kb 3.5").

If I type B:, which HDMAINT reports as the HDD, CP/M-86 accesses the B: flo=
ppy drive. If the HDD is there, and CP/M-86 can detect it and format it, wh=
y isn't it giving the HDD its own unique drive letter?

If I reboot the computer and don't have the CP/M-86 system disk in A:, the =
computer tries to boot drive C: and can get to the CP/M-86 error screen whi=
ch says "No CPM.SYS or CCPM.SYS file on the hard disk."

So I know HDMAINT formatted the HDD partition just fine, and that it is wor=
king.
But how the heck can I get CP/M-86 to actually refer to the HDD as C:? When=
 I type in C: it reports C:? and when I try to PIP to C:, it reports Select=
 Err.

My computer is a Tandy 1000 TX. The HDD I am trying to install CP/M-86 on i=
s 64MB. CP/M-86 used what it said was the max it could use to format a part=
ition of the drive, which was 15MB.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
0
bcobbsft
9/7/2016 6:39:19 AM
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

A couple of issues to check:

What size hard drive (I think CP/M-86 gets confused over a certain size even if partition is small enough).

When you boot on floppy did you check and see if hard drive is drive C?

Randy
0
randy482
9/7/2016 7:16:38 AM
It's a 64MB HDD, of which 15MB was selected by HDMAINT to create a CP/M-86 partition.

When I boot on floppy under CP/M-86, it tries to assign drive letter B: to the HDD. I don't see any way to change that ...

When I boot on floppy under MS-DOS, there is no drive letter assigned to the CP/M-86 partition since it is a non-DOS volume.
0
bcobbsft
9/7/2016 8:29:04 AM
Nevermind, I got it figured out. I had to set the partition size at 8MB or below. Now I am able to access the partition as drive C: and use it with CP/M-86. In fact I just booted from C: for the first time! Hooray!!
0
bcobbsft
9/7/2016 9:01:07 AM
On 07/09/2016 10:29, bcobbsft@gmail.com wrote:
> It's a 64MB HDD, of which 15MB was selected by HDMAINT to create a CP/M-86 partition.
>
> When I boot on floppy under CP/M-86, it tries to assign drive letter B: to the HDD. I don't see any way to change that ...
>
> When I boot on floppy under MS-DOS, there is no drive letter assigned to the CP/M-86 partition since it is a non-DOS volume.

I dunno about CP-M 86' partitioning, but what about a small B: partition
(to be used as a scratch disk, many CP-M programs using temporary files)
and the main partition, whose takes logically (in more than one sense..)
the C: letter ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

0