cpm-86 disk image

Hello there,

I have built a working cpm-86 emulator with virtualbox (with these guide
: http://www.z80.eu/blog/index.php?m=08&y=12&d=29&entry=entry120807-180000).

In order to do that, I run the included MAKEDISK.BAT in a virtual
WindowsXP, writing in a virtual floppy. Then I rename the resulting
image file from img to dsk and use it as a boot floppy for the virtual
cpm-86 machine.

Now I try to add a second floppy to the cpm-86 system with another image
(made from this file : http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cbasic86.zip) but
now the question :
how can I generate a cpm-86 readable floppy image (readable by
virtualbox and by cpm-86) ?

Many thanks for helping.

Philippe
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 15.08.2012 18:37, Philippe wrote:
> I have built a working cpm-86 emulator with virtualbox (with these guide
> :
> http://www.z80.eu/blog/index.php?m=08&y=12&d=29&entry=entry120807-180000).
>
> In order to do that, I run the included MAKEDISK.BAT in a virtual
> WindowsXP, writing in a virtual floppy. Then I rename the resulting
> image file from img to dsk and use it as a boot floppy for the virtual
> cpm-86 machine.

That's because you need a non-compressed image file.

> Now I try to add a second floppy to the cpm-86 system with another image
> (made from this file : http://www.cpm.z80.de/download/cbasic86.zip) but
> now the question :
> how can I generate a cpm-86 readable floppy image (readable by
> virtualbox and by cpm-86) ?

Your mentioned cbasic86.zip contains only CP/M program and data files,
not a floppy image file. You will be able to generate a blank floppy
disk (image) inside the emulator / while running the emulator with CP/M-86.
Then you should convert the VirtualBox image file with my small utility
(I added a usage hint in my blog, too).
After the image file is "cpmtools" compatible, you can manipulate the
image file with cpmtools commands.
When you're done, convert the "cpmtools" image back to a VirtualBox
compatible image file again with my small utility.
You should be able now to work with the "new" image/floppy.

Regards
  Peter

0
z80eu (294)
8/17/2012 10:37:12 AM
On 17.08.2012 12:37, Peter Dassow wrote:
> [...]
> When you're done, convert the "cpmtools" image back to a VirtualBox
> compatible image file again with my small utility.
> You should be able now to work with the "new" image/floppy.
For your convenience and as a proof, I added even a disk image with
added CBASIC-86 to my blog entry at www.z80.eu/blog/ ...

Regards
  Peter

0
z80eu (294)
8/17/2012 11:11:30 AM
Le 17/08/2012 13:11, Peter Dassow a �crit :
> On 17.08.2012 12:37, Peter Dassow wrote:
>> [...]
>> When you're done, convert the "cpmtools" image back to a VirtualBox
>> compatible image file again with my small utility.
>> You should be able now to work with the "new" image/floppy.
> For your convenience and as a proof, I added even a disk image with
> added CBASIC-86 to my blog entry at www.z80.eu/blog/ ...
>
> Regards
>   Peter

I appreciate your help but things are not very clear for me. Can you
explain step by step how you have created the empty floppy in cpm86
(running in virtualbox), move them to a cpmtools writable format, put
the files inside and then move them back to virtualbox ?

Again I really appreciate your help.

Regards.

Philippe

[...]

 > For your convenience and as a proof, I added even a disk image with
 > added CBASIC-86 to my blog entry at www.z80.eu/blog/ ...

	BTW, out of curiosity (I vaguely recall running a Unix-based
	CP/M + Z80 emulator a few times, having no experience with
	either CP/M proper or CP/M-86) I've downloaded and extracted the
	image (floppy.flp of cpm86fl2.zip), and...  It didn't work.

	So, the first question: is floppy.flp a "raw" floppy disk image
	(as could be guessed by its size, which is exactly 1440 KiB)?
	If it indeed is, it was my understanding that PC BIOS expects
	the first sector to be marked with 0x55, 0xAA in its two last
	bytes for the media to be considered "bootable":

--cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_sector --
    [...] The BIOS merely passes control to whatever exists there, as
    long as the sector meets the very simple qualification of having the
    boot record signature of 0x55, 0xAA in its last two bytes.  [...]
--cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_sector --

	For floppy.flp, the last two bytes are as follows:

$ od -Ax -j 510 -N 2 -t x1 < floppy.flp
0001fe 01 90
000200
$

	Naturally, QEMU refuses to boot from such a media.

	Also, I've tried a few images from http://cpm.z80.de/.
	Unfortunately, these seem to be in a vendor-specific CopyQM
	format, which I know of no utility (beside CopyQM) can support.
	Unfortunately, CopyQM fails with "Drive not ready" under
	FreeDOS/QEMU for me, and I'm reluctant to try it on some "real"
	hardware (with a FDD.)

	Any suggestions?

	TIA.

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/
0
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

> 	Naturally, QEMU refuses to boot from such a media.

qemu -no-fd-bootchk

-uso.
0
usotsuki1 (67)
8/17/2012 6:36:45 PM
On 17.08.2012 20:12, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
> [...]
>
>   > For your convenience and as a proof, I added even a disk image with
>   > added CBASIC-86 to my blog entry at www.z80.eu/blog/ ...
>
> 	BTW, out of curiosity (I vaguely recall running a Unix-based
> 	CP/M + Z80 emulator a few times, having no experience with
> 	either CP/M proper or CP/M-86) I've downloaded and extracted the
> 	image (floppy.flp of cpm86fl2.zip), and...  It didn't work.

What exactly did not work ? I documented my success with screenshots,
but I didn't wanted to make a step-by-step manual.
You can make more than one mistake even in configuration of the VM itself.

> 	So, the first question: is floppy.flp a "raw" floppy disk image
> 	(as could be guessed by its size, which is exactly 1440 KiB)?

Yes. But it's track/head order differs from other floppy image formats.

> 	If it indeed is, it was my understanding that PC BIOS expects
> 	the first sector to be marked with 0x55, 0xAA in its two last
> 	bytes for the media to be considered "bootable":

No. BIOS is not related with DOS. BIOS will try to load the first
sector, regardless what's inside this sector. If loaded in memory
(typically at 0000:7C00), IP is set to the first byte of the loaded
sector. "Magic Numbers" like 55 AA are only important for Microsoft
operating systems.

> --cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_sector --
>      [...] The BIOS merely passes control to whatever exists there, as
>      long as the sector meets the very simple qualification of having the
>      boot record signature of 0x55, 0xAA in its last two bytes.  [...]
> --cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_sector --

Wikipedia Bullshit. There is no quality control what is published.
That's the proof, CP/M-86 needs no "magic numbers".

> 	For floppy.flp, the last two bytes are as follows:
>
> $ od -Ax -j 510 -N 2 -t x1 < floppy.flp
> 0001fe 01 90
> 000200
> $

You're totally wrong with your assumptions. It doesn't matter what is
stored at the end of the sector.

> 	Naturally, QEMU refuses to boot from such a media.

Naturally ? I didn't try QEMU, but you can't speak about nature in
conjunction with QEMU. I don't like QEMU, it's too specific in its
intended use. VMWare has a far better quality and is much more compatible.

> 	Also, I've tried a few images from http://cpm.z80.de/.
> 	Unfortunately, these seem to be in a vendor-specific CopyQM
> 	format, which I know of no utility (beside CopyQM) can support.
> 	Unfortunately, CopyQM fails with "Drive not ready" under
> 	FreeDOS/QEMU for me, and I'm reluctant to try it on some "real"
> 	hardware (with a FDD.)

You don't need to expand the compressed CopyQM image because I already
saved a decompressed (but not otherwise modified version!) version.
I don't know what you have tried, but it seems to be wrong. I used
CopyQM with VMWare and an installed MS-DOS 7.1 without any problems.

Regards
  Peter

0
z80eu (294)
8/17/2012 6:58:29 PM
On 17.08.2012 18:26, Philippe wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> When you're done, convert the "cpmtools" image back to a VirtualBox
>>> compatible image file again with my small utility.
>>> You should be able now to work with the "new" image/floppy.
>> For your convenience and as a proof, I added even a disk image with
>> added CBASIC-86 to my blog entry at www.z80.eu/blog/ ...
>>
>> Regards
>>   Peter
>>
> I appreciate your help but things are not very clear for me. Can you
> explain step by step how you have created the empty floppy in cpm86
> (running in virtualbox), move them to a cpmtools writable format, put
> the files inside and then move them back to virtualbox ?
>
> Again I really appreciate your help.

When you managed it to boot CP/M-86 (having two drives ready
configured), you can use the CP/M command "DSKMAINT".
More easy is you make a copy of the boot disk image, mount this with the
second floppy drive and after booting CP/M-86 from A:, delete everything
from B: (e.g. with command "era b:*.*").
As a result, you get a blank floppy.
Instead of using a second floppy drive, try to use the harddisk (as
described in my blog again).

Regards
  Peter

0
z80eu (294)
8/17/2012 7:04:47 PM

 >> Naturally, QEMU refuses to boot from such a media.

 > qemu -no-fd-bootchk

	Indeed, it works that way, thanks!

	However, I'm still curious on whether a "typical" PC BIOS (as of
	the time cheaper PC's still had FDC's) forces this check or not?

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/
0
oneingray (355)
8/17/2012 7:08:35 PM

[...]

 >> So, the first question: is floppy.flp a "raw" floppy disk image (as
 >> could be guessed by its size, which is exactly 1440 KiB)?

 > Yes.  But it's track/head order differs from other floppy image
 > formats.

	ACK, thanks.

[...]

 >> --cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_sector --
 >> [...] The BIOS merely passes control to whatever exists there, as
 >> long as the sector meets the very simple qualification of having the
 >> boot record signature of 0x55, 0xAA in its last two bytes.  [...]
 >> --cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_sector --

 > Wikipedia Bullshit. There is no quality control what is published.

	If there's a reliable source supporting a different point, feel
	free to edit the page accordingly.

	My edition of Norton's "Programmer's guide to the IBM PC & PS/2"
	(1988, translated in 1994) states (Chapter 5, "Boot disks"
	section) that the BIOS indeed checks the boot media signature.

 > That's the proof, CP/M-86 needs no "magic numbers".

	There's no CP/M-86 until the BIOS bootloader passes control to
	it.  Which is unlikely to happen without having the
	aforementioned signature in the first logical sector of the boot
	media.

[...]

 > I don't like QEMU, it's too specific in its intended use.  VMWare has
 > a far better quality and is much more compatible.

	Given a piece of code which I'm free to study and improve, for
	what reason should I consider surrendering those freedoms and
	use a non-free alternative instead?

 >> Also, I've tried a few images from http://cpm.z80.de/.
 >> Unfortunately, these seem to be in a vendor-specific CopyQM format,
 >> which I know of no utility (beside CopyQM) can support.
 >> Unfortunately, CopyQM fails with "Drive not ready" under
 >> FreeDOS/QEMU for me, and I'm reluctant to try it on some "real"
 >> hardware (with a FDD.)

 > You don't need to expand the compressed CopyQM image because I
 > already saved a decompressed (but not otherwise modified version!)
 > version.

	That's just a single image; there're quite a few more at
	http://cpm.z80.de/.

 > I don't know what you have tried, but it seems to be wrong.  I used
 > CopyQM with VMWare and an installed MS-DOS 7.1 without any problems.

	I'm curious, where can one order a copy of MS-DOS 7.1 nowadays?

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/
0
oneingray (355)
8/17/2012 7:23:42 PM
	To note is that I've added the CP/M-86 1.44" image to my
	iPXE-based "Network boot" menu, too.  Now, virtually any x86
	machine (or an "emulation" thereof) in my LAN, may boot a
	CP/M-86 system given a suitable iPXE command sequence or script.

	The relevant parts of the iPXE "menu" script I've used are as
	follows:

#!ipxe

:menu
menu Boot menu
# ...
item cpm86  Boot CP/M-86 [cpm.z80.de/download/144cpm86.zip; memdisk]
# ...
item shell  Run iPXE Shell
choose boot && goto ${boot}

# ...

:cpm86
kernel /diskless/memdisk.lkrn
initrd ../bin/144cpm86.img
boot || exit 1

# ...

PS.  I'm quite sure that this configuration will work over Internet,
	too, but I'm somewhat reluctant to share the server's URI to
	point iPXE at, as this version of CP/M-86 doesn't seem like a
	free software (as in "free speech".)

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/
0
oneingray (355)
8/17/2012 7:42:07 PM
On 17.08.2012 21:23, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>   > Wikipedia Bullshit. There is no quality control what is published.
>
> 	If there's a reliable source supporting a different point, feel
> 	free to edit the page accordingly.

I did it a few minutes ago (see Wikipedia's "Talk" section).

> 	My edition of Norton's "Programmer's guide to the IBM PC & PS/2"
> 	(1988, translated in 1994) states (Chapter 5, "Boot disks"
> 	section) that the BIOS indeed checks the boot media signature.
>
>   > That's the proof, CP/M-86 needs no "magic numbers".
>
> 	There's no CP/M-86 until the BIOS bootloader passes control to
> 	it.  Which is unlikely to happen without having the
> 	aforementioned signature in the first logical sector of the boot
> 	media.

You're right, it's not CP/M-86 which needs no "magic numbers", it's the
BIOS itself which needs no magic numbers. Regardless of this, CP/M-86
does not need any magic number in the boot sector, but MS-DOS will check
this.

>   > I don't know what you have tried, but it seems to be wrong.  I used
>   > CopyQM with VMWare and an installed MS-DOS 7.1 without any problems.
>
> 	I'm curious, where can one order a copy of MS-DOS 7.1 nowadays?

I guess FreeDOS will do it also, but anyway, I have still an original
Windows 98 SE CD, so I can use MS-DOS 7.1 (which is included).
If you want to discuss legal or illegal use of an old microsoft
operating system, try another newsgroup like alt.lawyers or even
alt.philosophy.law ...
And btw. ... CopyQM was designed to run with MS-DOS, not FreeDOS.

Regards
  Peter

0
z80eu (294)
8/17/2012 7:47:48 PM
On Friday, August 17, 2012 2:47:48 PM UTC-5, Peter Dassow wrote:
> On 17.08.2012 21:23, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
>=20
[snip]
>=20
>=20
> You're right, it's not CP/M-86 which needs no "magic numbers", it's the=
=20
>=20
> BIOS itself which needs no magic numbers. Regardless of this, CP/M-86=20
>=20
> does not need any magic number in the boot sector, but MS-DOS will check=
=20
>=20
> this.
>=20
You forgot; the last byte is 00h for single sided, 01h for double sided med=
ia for cp/m-86 (this is an early ibm convention).

Also, the hard drive controller 'option rom' -- the seagate scsi st-01 cont=
roller is one which revectors int13h thru its own int40h, and does in fact =
enforce the AA55h signature word, and it will not boot cp/m-86, but a Futur=
e Domain scsi controller doesn't do that and it will boot cp/m-86 from A:. =
 IOW an option rom can modify the rom bios because the option roms are init=
ialized later, or last, in the POST code.

Of the more modern pentium class systems with floppy drives, there are a ru=
mored few which enforce the floppy boot sector signature, but they are rare=
..

Steve

>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> >   > I don't know what you have tried, but it seems to be wrong.  I used
>=20
> >   > CopyQM with VMWare and an installed MS-DOS 7.1 without any problems=
..
>=20
> >
>=20
> > 	I'm curious, where can one order a copy of MS-DOS 7.1 nowadays?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I guess FreeDOS will do it also, but anyway, I have still an original=20
>=20
> Windows 98 SE CD, so I can use MS-DOS 7.1 (which is included).
>=20
> If you want to discuss legal or illegal use of an old microsoft=20
>=20
> operating system, try another newsgroup like alt.lawyers or even=20
>=20
> alt.philosophy.law ...
>=20
> And btw. ... CopyQM was designed to run with MS-DOS, not FreeDOS.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Regards
>=20
>   Peter

0
s_dubrovich (395)
8/18/2012 3:43:17 AM

	[Cross-posting to news:comp.os.linux.networking and
	news:comp.os.msdos.misc, for an example setup for booting the
	Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.4 Live and FreeDOS Balder images over a
	network is provided.  I'm looking for both a better-suited
	newsgroup, and a configuration to boot a ZX Spectrum emulator.]

 > To note is that I've added the CP/M-86 1.44" image to my iPXE-based
 > "Network boot" menu, too.  Now, virtually any x86 machine (or an
 > "emulation" thereof) in my LAN, may boot a CP/M-86 system given a
 > suitable iPXE command sequence or script.

[...]

 > PS.  I'm quite sure that this configuration will work over Internet,
 > too, but I'm somewhat reluctant to share the server's URI to point
 > iPXE at, as this version of CP/M-86 doesn't seem like a free software
 > (as in "free speech".)

	... On a second though, here it is:

http://ritic.am-1.org/diskless/ipxe/world-default

	One can run it with QEMU (or QEMU/KVM) like:

$ qemu \
      -kernel virtio-net.lkrn \
      -net nic,model=virtio \
      -net user,bootfile=http://173.0.50.100/diskless/ipxe/world-default

	It seems that the version of QEMU I use fails to provide DNS to
	the child, so I had to use "plain" IPv4 addresses within both
	the command line above and the "world-default" iPXE script, as
	well as providing a copy of balder10.img on my server (as
	http://ibiblio.org/ apparently requires the proper Host: HTTP
	header.)

	For booting "real" hardware, one'd need a DHCP server, and also
	a TFTP one (unless a recent version of iPXE is burned into the
	boot ROM.)

	E. g., the ISC DHCP server may be configured roughly as follows
	(assuming a static MAC to IPv4 mapping.)

### dhcpd.conf  -*- Default-Generic -*-

default-lease-time   600;
max-lease-time      7200;

subnet 192.0.2.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  use-host-decl-names   on;
  option  subnet-mask   255.255.255.0;
  option  routers       192.0.2.1;
  option  domain-name-servers
                        192.0.2.53;
  # option  ntp-servers   192.0.2.123;

  if exists user-class and option user-class = "iPXE" {
    filename            "http://173.0.50.100/diskless/ipxe/world-default";
  } else {
    ## download iPXE from a TFTP server
    next-server         192.0.2.69;
    filename            "undionly.kpxe";
  }
  host diskless.example.org {
    hardware  ethernet  00:27:0e:05:e5:9e;
    fixed-address       192.0.2.97;
  }
}

### dhcpd.conf ends here

	Also note that the Debian 6.0.4 Live "standard" image is some
	177 MiB in total, and thus takes a while to load from
	http://cdimage.debian.org/ (AKA http://130.239.18.163/.)  It's
	provided as an example only; one should really consider putting
	it somewhere within his or her own network!  (There's also a
	section for loading the "Xfce desktop" image, but its menu entry
	was commented-out, so not to abuse the cdimage server.)

	The files provided (below /bin/) are as follows.  (I'd like to
	thank Aioe for its wonderful "441 Lines longer than 79 chars".)

    Image: 144cpm86.img
    Copy-of: http://z80.eu/downloads/cpm86fl2.zip (floppy.flp)
     Originally from http://cpm.z80.de/download/144cpm86.zip.

    Image: balder10.img
    Copy-of: http://ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/
     unofficial/balder/balder10.img

    Image: memdisk.lkrn
    Copy-of: http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20120630T153537Z/pool/
     main/s/syslinux/syslinux-common_4.05%2Bdfsg-6_all.deb
     (./usr/lib/syslinux/memdisk)
     This one comes from the SYSLINUX project.

    Image: memtest86+.0
    Source: https://git.ipxe.org/people/mcb30/memtest.git/commit/f9d3679f3770
     This version of Memtest86+ was built with an experimental PXE
     support.

    Image: memtest86.bin
    Copy-of: http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20120514T041508Z/pool/
     main/m/memtest86/memtest86_4.0s-1_amd64.deb (./boot/memtest86.bin)

    Image: pxelinux.0
    Copy-of: http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20120630T153537Z/pool/
     main/s/syslinux/syslinux-common_4.05%2Bdfsg-6_all.deb
     (./usr/lib/syslinux/pxelinux.0)

FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/
0
oneingray (355)
8/18/2012 11:46:52 AM

[...]

 > (see Wikipedia's "Talk" section).

	ACK, I see.  (Thanks to all the participants for an interesting
	discussion, BTW.)

	JFTR:

--cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Boot_sector#Boot_signature --
    [...] Consider for example this Microsft source [1] which makes clear
    that it is the BIOS that first checks for the signature.
    Crispmuncher 02:48, 18 August 2012 (UTC).

 [1] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/149877

      There is BIOS source code online e. g. at [2] which enforces these
      rules: for a hard disk the 0xAA55 signature check is made, while
      for a floppy disk the rule is that the first byte of the boot
      sector must be less [greater or equal -- Matthiaspaul] than 0x06
      and the first 9 words must not all be identical.  While that
      doesn't reveal the distribution of signature checks in modern
      BIOSes, it does provide a latest date for their introduction.
      Ewx (talk) 08:16, 18 August 2012 (UTC)

 [2] http://www.intel-assembler.it/portale/5/ibm-at-286-souce-code/ibm-at-286-souce-code.asp
--cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Boot_sector#Boot_signature --

[...]

 >>> I don't know what you have tried, but it seems to be wrong.  I used
 >>> CopyQM with VMWare and an installed MS-DOS 7.1 without any
 >>> problems.

 >> I'm curious, where can one order a copy of MS-DOS 7.1 nowadays?

 > I guess FreeDOS will do it also,

	Actually, I believe it was a QEMU's fault.  I'm reluctant to try
	it on a "real" hardware, so I'd probably try other versions of
	QEMU, or perhaps Bochs.

 > but anyway, I have still an original Windows 98 SE CD, so I can use
 > MS-DOS 7.1 (which is included).

	While I've certainly used some version of DOS until early 1999,
	I was then eager to switch to GNU/Linux, which I deem a
	fortunate choice to this day.

	I've never had a version of Windows installed on my computers,
	and bought no license, either.

[...]

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/
0
oneingray (355)
8/18/2012 2:50:50 PM
On 17.08.2012 21:08, Ivan Shmakov wrote:

>   >> Naturally, QEMU refuses to boot from such a media.
>
>   > qemu -no-fd-bootchk
>
> 	Indeed, it works that way, thanks!
>
> 	However, I'm still curious on whether a "typical" PC BIOS (as of
> 	the time cheaper PC's still had FDC's) forces this check or not?

I tried to discuss this further at the mentioned Wikipedia boot sector page.
Then I stopped and thought, why not trying it in reality with a more
modern Thinkpad notebook which still has a build-in floppy drive ?
So I added a new blog entry at http://www.z80.eu/blog/ for a photo as a
proof that it does work also with much more modern PCs.
Btw. VMWare's PhoenixBIOS is really new enough for another proof that it
works with newer hardware (although this "hardware" is virtual).

Regards
  Peter

0
z80eu (294)
8/18/2012 6:25:08 PM
On Aug 18, 2:25=A0pm, Peter Dassow <z8...@arcor.de> wrote:

> > =A0 >> Naturally, QEMU refuses to boot from such a media.
>
> > =A0 > qemu -no-fd-bootchk
>
> > =A0 =A0Indeed, it works that way, thanks!
>
> > =A0 =A0However, I'm still curious on whether a "typical" PC BIOS (as of
> > =A0 =A0the time cheaper PC's still had FDC's) forces this check or not?
>
> I tried to discuss this further at the mentioned Wikipedia boot sector pa=
ge.
> Then I stopped and thought, why not trying it in reality with a more
> modern Thinkpad notebook which still has a build-in floppy drive ?
> So I added a new blog entry athttp://www.z80.eu/blog/for a photo as a
> proof that it does work also with much more modern PCs.
> Btw. VMWare's PhoenixBIOS is really new enough for another proof that it
> works with newer hardware (although this "hardware" is virtual).
>
> Regards
> =A0 Peter

Given the age of CP/M-86, I am curious to know why the floppy boot
signature
was ever enforced. Could it be an artifact of a specific period of PC
history?

TTFN,
  Tarkin
0
Tarkin000 (374)
9/19/2012 6:32:15 PM
is that image Public Domain?

Op Sat, 18 Aug 2012 13:46:52 +0200 schreef Ivan Shmakov
<oneingray@gmail.com>:

> [...]
>     Copy-of:
> http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20120630T153537Z/pool/
>      main/s/syslinux/syslinux-common_4.05%2Bdfsg-6_all.deb
>      (./usr/lib/syslinux/memdisk)
>      This one comes from the SYSLINUX project.
>
>     Image: memtest86+.0
>     Source:
> https://git.ipxe.org/people/mcb30/memtest.git/commit/f9d3679f3770
>      This version of Memtest86+ was built with an experimental PXE
>      support.
>
>     Image: memtest86.bin
>     Copy-of:
> http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20120514T041508Z/pool/
>      main/m/memtest86/memtest86_4.0s-1_amd64.deb (./boot/memtest86.bin)
>
>     Image: pxelinux.0
>     Copy-of:
> http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20120630T153537Z/pool/
>      main/s/syslinux/syslinux-common_4.05%2Bdfsg-6_all.deb

Gemaakt met Opera's e-mailprogramma: http://www.opera.com/mail/
0
Harald
4/22/2014 10:25:08 PM
Does anybody recognize the CH-101B IDE controllers?

I got a few but non seem to work on this ISA-only 486 Board.

i set the jumpers to

close - open - open - open - open - open - open

the next 2x3 jumperset to - both 1-2

next i tried to activate a ST-412
with a ST-11M Controller and
all other controllers i have

I will list those due time.

Sincerely
0
Harald
4/26/2014 4:19:12 PM

Harald Peters wrote:
> Does anybody recognize the CH-101B IDE controllers?
Any link to its description?

> I got a few but non seem to work on this ISA-only 486 Board.
What PC Hardware and what OS?

I think You  misplaced Your query in the wrong group and
under the false Topic "network boot...".

It should go into a Hardware group.
Horst

---

Horst

CPM
Can someone send me a copy of a CPM 3.0 system disk as an IMD (Image disk) format? The one I have dosent seem to want to boot up... just comes to the "BOOTING..." and stops.. Roger Roger Schmidt wrote: > Can someone send me a copy of a CPM 3.0 system disk as an IMD (Image > disk) format? The one I have dosent seem to want to boot up... just > comes to the "BOOTING..." and stops.. > > Roger IMD format is NOT applicable for boot disks of a Commodore 128 (that's imho the only Commodore - you didn't specify which one - which uses CP/M 3.0). You have to own a real 1571 drive (or use an emulator like VICE) to transfer the image (e.g. use StarCommander and a XE1541 cable) with a PC back. Just look at http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/demodisks/c128/index.html for the original boot disks. Regards Peter -- * Try http://www.z80.eu for CP/M computer and software infos. ...

cpm
hi when will cpm versions being to add code for specific hardware we have 1-4mb of external ram on the sam coupe and if the os was paged in ram above 32768 it would run at 6mhz - this makes a big difference also when putting text onscreen why doesn't cpm word processors use push sp can point to video ram and then on older machines liek the spectrum each register pair pushed would get 16 pixels or on sam coupe 4 or 8 pixels for hi rez mode 3 512x192 we cant even use interlaced video modes that were pretty easy if there is a second video ram page - unlike the bbc master which didn't have...

Mystery CPM disk
I have a couple of disks that have the following geometry: 2 sides, 48 TPI, 512 bytes per sector, 10 sectors per track, sectors numbered 1-10 on side 1, 11-20 on side 2, and side 2 headers declare they're actually on side 1 (so essentially masking 2-sided-ness). The following diskdef for cpmtools works correctly for viewing and extracting files; the skew was pretty tough to arrive at via inspection: # Mystery diskdef mystery seclen 512 tracks 40 sectrk 20 blocksize 2048 maxdir 64 skewtab 0,4,8,2,6,1,5,9,3,7,10,14,18,12,16,11,15,19,13,17 boottrk 2 os 2.2 end I saw a Digital Research signature in an early sector ("COPYRIGHT (C) 1979, DIGITAL RESEARCH"), but no other identifying info was in evidence. Any idea what type of machine this could have come from? David Schmidt <schmidtd@my-deja.com> writes: >2 sides, 48 TPI, 512 bytes per sector, 10 sectors per track, sectors >numbered 1-10 on side 1, 11-20 on side 2, Maybe "SHARP MZ80" ? According to an article in the german Computer-Magazine "C'T" this is the only fitting Track-Numbering. Yours, Holger On 3/11/2015 5:20 AM, Holger Petersen wrote: > David Schmidt <schmidtd@my-deja.com> writes: >> 2 sides, 48 TPI, 512 bytes per sector, 10 sectors per track, sectors >> numbered 1-10 on side 1, 11-20 on side 2, > > Maybe "SHARP MZ80" ? > > Accord...

Creating Disk Image that works on OS 9 & OS X
My Carbon application has a Mach-O Framework embedded in its bundle. I created the framework to get at one Mach-O only function and it works well. But, the problem comes when distributing this app. Originally, I just created a stuffit archive and distributed this way. This works fine for OS 9 (which doesn't need to call the Mach-O Framework). But under OS X, it fails because the symbolic links to the various components of my framework aren't set up properly when unstuffing the data. So, I created a disk image using Disk Copy under OS X, and everything is fine again -- it must fix the symbolilc links when the file is copied from the disk image. The problem is that I can't make one file that works for everyone (i.e., I'm left with a stuffit file for OS 9 users, a disk image for OS X). I tried creating the disk image under OS 9, but the OS 9 version of Disk Copy doesn't seem to like the symbolic links inside the framework either. (It discards them...) Is there a way to solve this? I'd really like to have one file that everyone can use to install this software. Many thanks in advance, Mark In article <troika-A5C9AB.09033508072003@reader1.panix.com>, Mark Coniglio <troika@panix.com> wrote: > I tried creating the disk image under OS 9, but the OS 9 version of Disk > Copy doesn't seem to like the symbolic links inside the framework > either. (It discards them...) > > Is ...

Are "disk images" disk images or not?
I have seen the question "What are disk images" answered numerous times with the assurance that they are exact sector-by-sector copies of real physical disks. But my own eyes seem to contradict that apparently standard answer. Disregarding the instant .dmg "images" which can be cobbled together in folders on the desktop, and concentrating on sincere attempts to create real images of real physical disks with Disk Utility, if .dmg's are real sector-by-sector copies, how come they shrink in size when files are deleted from their source-devices to make the "images&quo...

OS X Disk Image Question
Hello all, I have just stumbled across a password-protected disk image, and I was wondering if I can add passwords to my own disk images (or any other type of file) without some sort of 3rd party security software Many thanks, Inspiratron -------------------------- 17" iMac Core Duo 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD Mac OS X 10.4.5 <inspiratron@yahoo.ca> wrote: > I have just stumbled across a password-protected disk image, and I was > wondering if I can add passwords to my own disk images (or any other > type of file) without some sort of 3rd party security software This can be don...

Disk images with disk keys??
After years of searching I finally found a program and was able to sucessfully copy it from the original 5 1/4 disk to an image. It is a copy protected disk which I used SST to copy. However, now when I try to access it in an emulator it asks for the original disk. Is there a way around this? After some research I found out the original has some sort of disk key. Dan, Good...You did to use NIB image for emulator after you have done with SST Copy. There is only one way to disable copy protection like keys by modifying assembly language in sector by sector. It is likely to replace...

How to create a disk image in OS 10.5.6?
I installed OS 10.5.6 on a clean partition, and it is working well. Previously I was using OS 10.2.8 which has two programs, Disk Copy, which lets you make encrypted or not encrypted disk images, and Disk Utility, which is for other things like verifying and repairing disks. How can I make encrypted disk images using OS 10.5.6? The Disk Utility of 10.5.6 seems to be about the same as the Disk Utility of 10.2.8, neither of which can create disk images. Thanks --- Joe In article <none-0111101408340001@dialup-4.231.168.194.dial1.losangeles1.level3.net> , Joe <none@g...

1840kb disk image (OS/2 Warp 4)
The first 3 disk images are standard 1.44mb. All the rest are the above 1840kb. Can I write them to a 1.44 floppy or do I need 2.88? CT the Befuddled On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 14:09:25 UTC, "Tim Knight/CT" <msgtknight@gmail.com> wrote: > The first 3 disk images are standard 1.44mb. > > All the rest are the above 1840kb. Can I write them to a 1.44 floppy > or do I need 2.88? Use a HD floppy (normally 1.44MB). You'll need the XDFCOPY utility. -- The information contained in this post is copyright the poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com On Oct 11, 10:29 am, "Bob Eager" <rd...@spamcop.net> wrote: > On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 14:09:25 UTC, "Tim Knight/CT" <msgtkni...@gmail.com> > wrote: > > > The first 3 disk images are standard 1.44mb. > > > All the rest are the above 1840kb. Can I write them to a 1.44 floppy > > or do I need 2.88? > > Use a HD floppy (normally 1.44MB). You'll need the XDFCOPY utility. > > -- > The information contained in this post is copyright the > poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by > http://www.jlaforums.com Thank you Bob..... Fired up my trusty 8590 running PCDOS7.0 and ran the utility on one of the disk images......writes perfectly...... CT (ready to Engage) ...

Installing Mac OS 9 on linux (MOL) with disk image file
Hi! Do you know about a howto concerning the installation of OS 9 in conjunction with MOL / Linux in an existing Linux / OS X environment? I have Debian Woody with MOL, so I can boot the preinstalled OS X under Linux. However, I would like to be able to boot OS9, while I don't really want to repartition (and corrupt my existing OS X and Linux installations). So it would be nice to install OS 9 into a loopback device (hdd-image file). Is it possible and is there anybody out there who has done this? TIA+CU Lars. ...

cpmtools used with a floppy disk image of CP/M-86 does not work ?!
Hi, I am not able to use cpmtools with a floppy disk image file, which can be used for VMWare or even VirtualBox. I was using this command for showing all directory entries: cpmls -f cpm86-144feat imagefile But it does not show any useful info (instead just junk). Is the existing diskdefs entry cpm86-144feat incorrect ? # CP/M 86 on 1.44MB floppies diskdef cpm86-144feat seclen 512 tracks 160 sectrk 18 blocksize 4096 maxdir 256 skew 1 boottrk 2 os 3 end Or does the existing (and working) disk image files have a wrong sector/track order ? I am totally unsure, because I even wrote a small utility to split the sector order to a different result: I expected this sector order (C=Cylinder, H=Head) in VMWare/Virtualbox disk images: C0H0 C0H1 C1H0 C1H1 C2H0 C2H1 ... up to C79H0, C79H1 The new result was C0H0 C1H0 C2H0 C3H0 C4H0 C5H0 ... up to C78H1, C79H1 But this doesn't help to get a correct cpmls result. Am I wrong and a skew is existing for CP/M-86 floppy disks ??? Regards Peter On 11.08.2012 17:07, Peter Dassow wrote: > Hi, > > I am not able to use cpmtools with a floppy disk image file, which can > be used for VMWare or even VirtualBox. > I was using this command for showing all directory entries: > cpmls -f cpm86-144feat imagefile > But it does not show any useful info (instead just junk). > [...] > I expected this sector order (C=Cylinder, H=Head) in VMWare/V...

Disk image/real disk weirdness
I got this disk that i/o errors on one file when I read it. Got it to Advanced Demuffin to a normal DOS 3.3 without error, i/o errors same place. Pulled it up with ADTpro, it doesn't i/o error there but it breaks when it would ordinarily do a disk status check (I think). Then I replace the DOS with UniDOS and it works fine... but when I bring it back to the hardware it i/o errors as before... very strange. - btw - it's Word Wizards v1.0, by MECC -uso. On Jan 25, 3:27=A0pm, lyricalnanoha <lyricalnan...@usotsuki.hoshinet.org> wrote: > I got this disk that i/o errors o...

Understand Disk Image/Disk Copy/SMI ?
I've used Disk Copy a little bit but a long time ago and I never really understood disk images and self mounting images and would like to. Just curious. Is there a good basic article or part of book on them? Some of my very beginner questions on this are: Purpose of disk images? Purpose of smi? The different uses for non-compressed vs compressed images? Are any programs needed other than Disk Copy to work with images? And then a specific one: It seems that Disk Copy is quite straight forward but when I did a test crate image from a folder a dialog immediately appeared afterward...

Putting an image from a big disk to a small disk
I have a boot system created in 34 GB. hard disk and i syspreped it to install in other systems with differen hard disk sizes. The data occupy about 6 GB. One of this system has 17 GB. hard disks and i am having problems. The system doesn=B4t boot. I=B4m using Ghost 8.3 to clone the disk. Can somebody say to me if it is possible putting an image from a big disk to a small disk? Some tool better than Ghost to do it? Thanks sistemas.soporte@gmail.com wrote: > I have a boot system created in 34 GB. hard disk and i > syspreped it to install in other systems with differen hard > disk sizes. The data occupy about 6 GB. > One of this system has 17 GB. hard disks and > i am having problems. The system doesn�t boot. Its important to image the physical drive and not just the partition. > I�m using Ghost 8.3 to clone the disk. > Can somebody say to me if it is possible > putting an image from a big disk to a small disk? That isnt the problem. > Some tool better than Ghost to do it? True Image. ...

making and burning disk images with disk utility
Hi all, I'm having difficulty duplicating dual Mac/Win data CDs and I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I have googled for this and found MANY descriptions of doing exactly what I'm doing, and yet it's not working for me. I have a CD-ROM that was originally created with Toast. It's been years since that was done and I can't find the original Toast files. I have all the pieces, but rather than reconstruct it, I wanted to just make an image of the disk to store on a hard drive so I can burn new copies whenever I want without having to use Toast again to duplicate it from another CD. I can't figure out a way to do that with Toast. When I make a new image from Disk Utility, the disk ends up not being complete under Windows. Here's what I've tried (procedures that are outlined on several sites): 1. In Disk Utility, I select the volume on the CD and click New Image. It creates a dmg file. I then pop out that disk and put in a blank and click burn. It creates something that works on the Mac, but under Windows, it sees the disk (it's burnt and has a file system) but nothing is actually on it. 2. I've also tried using dd at the command line to create an image. The same thing happens when I burn it. Fine on a Mac, not on a PC. The original disk does work correctly. If I use Toast to duplicate it, I also get a working disk. I'd really like to make a valid disk image that I can u...

how to reclaim lost disk space after disk image with dd?
Hi, I have copied my complete old hard disk to my new (faster/bigger) hard disk using dd: dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1 It's a windows system disk (fat32) and it worked fine. Windows is starting up again. Unfortunately after this dd command the new hard disk now has the exact same size of the old one. (Though when partitioning it with fdisk it was larger) Is there a (simple) trick to reclaim this lost disk space? Thanks, Ronald Hello Ronald (<ronv2000@excite.com>) wrote: > I have copied my complete old hard disk to my new (faster/bigger) hard > disk using dd: > >...

Can Catakig images be converted to regular disk images?
I've just created an Eamon game on the Catakig //e emulator for the Macintosh, and now it turns out that Catakig uses a proprietary format to read and save files that isn't readable on other emulators. Here's what Catakig's creator has to say about it: "Catakig can read DSK, PO, and NIB disks, but it has its own native format which it prefers, and which it uses for both reading and writing floppy disk images. This format is a gzip-compressed NIB format, which provides the versatility of that format but yields a smaller file size, smaller even than DSK." A...

2mg image Disk to real disk from SE/30
Hi, Is there any EASY way/tool to write a 2mg disk image to a real disk from an SE/30 (under 7.6.1) with an 800k external drive ? I'm struggling to find such tools.... (No, I do not want to use ADT) I'm also struggling to copy 142 .DSK image disk to a PRODOS formatted 3.5 disk form the same SE/30. If I copy those disk image from the finder, put the disk in my Apple II, Copy II Plus send me IO ERROR Block $FAC4 while copying or veryfing. There is no "$FAC4" block on a 3.5 800k disk.... It was working that way with GS/OS.... Jerome On Saturday, Apr...

Returning to cpm
Its been 20 or so years since I used cpm and have decided to jump back in. I downloaded myz80 and a copy of walnut creek and started using it on my win xp system when I realized I have forgotten so much over the years! Can anyone recommend a website or three that could help me remember the basics ( copying files, extracting files from libraries, etc)? Hello, Bill! > Can anyone recommend a website or three that could help me > remember the basics ( copying files, extracting files from libraries, > etc)? Hum... The problem is that, usually, Web sites collect old things, since CP/M is...

was there ever a CPM for ... ?
atari 8 bit ? i found one for atari st, C64 (obviously), apple 2, amiga, even classic mac, and a few other machines but am wondering if there was ever a version or clone of CPM (or its likeness) for the Atari 8 bit? so far none of the atari lists and groups nobody can remember except for a piece of hardware called the ATR8000 which allowed for some CPM as a dumb terminal; but other than this was there every anything else ? "*ProteanThread*" <rtdos@rtdos.com> wrote: >atari 8 bit ? i found one for atari st, C64 (obviously), apple 2, >amiga, even classic mac, and a few...

disk image
hi: what is a disk image? what does it contain? what is its usage? thanks, bo Bo Sun wrote: > hi: > > what is a disk image? what does it contain? what is its usage? > > thanks, > > bo > Do you have access to Google? http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/disk_image.html "Bo Sun" <b0s6067@cs.tamu.edu> skrev i en meddelelse news:Pine.GSO.4.58.0401022112170.22847@unix.cs.tamu.edu... > hi: > > what is a disk image? what does it contain? what is its usage? > > thanks, > > bo > It�s just a raw cop...

Grundy cpm
Hallo Has anyone information about the CPM computer "Grundy 8200 or Grundy 8202 " Thanks j.e. van der geest wrote: > Hallo > > Has anyone information about the CPM computer "Grundy 8200 or Grundy 8202 > " A simple Google search delivers the following as the firs hit: http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/Grundy/gerald.php The Grundy 8200 seems to be a Superbrain clone. Eugen OK thanks But, that is not eneugh. I am looking for describsion of the mainboard of the Grundy 8200. Greating Jos Jos "Eugen Mezei" <mezei@gmx.de> schr...

where to get cpm
Hello, I am building a system based on a Z80cpu. I wonder if it would be possible to run cpm on it, and first where to get it? Many thanks Andre Le 07/12/2011 10:03, Andre a écrit : > Hello, > > I am building a system based on a Z80cpu. I wonder if it would be > possible to run cpm on it, and first where to get it? > Many thanks > Andre many "Digital Research Source Code" here : <http://www.cpm.z80.de/source.html> Le Wed, 07 Dec 2011 11:25:26 +0100, jbemond a écrit : > Le 07/12/2011 10:03, Andre a écrit : >> Hello, >> ...

CPM #2
Hello, It's my first time here. I have no idea in signal processing math but reasonable C programming, and need to send data (minimum 2400bps though more is better) thru the audio (baseband) section of FM VHF/UHF radio with 12.5KHz channel spacing thru 8KHz linear PCM. In the transmitter after my connection point there’s 300-3000Hz bandpass filter. There’s no space for an external dedicated modem chip and thus need to implement it within the MCU of the main app (without FPU, though it can be 32 bit). Will H-CPM for example be optimal and feasible for this BW, and what’s the bit rate? Of course C source code would be appreciated. Thanks Rony On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:15:19 -0500, "Ro_ny" <95309@dsprelated> wrote: >Hello, > >It's my first time here. > >I have no idea in signal processing math but reasonable C programming, and >need to send data (minimum 2400bps though more is better) thru the audio >(baseband) section of FM VHF/UHF radio with 12.5KHz channel spacing thru >8KHz linear PCM. In the transmitter after my connection point there’s >300-3000Hz bandpass filter. > >There’s no space for an external dedicated modem chip and thus need to >implement it within the MCU of the main app (without FPU, though it can be >32 bit). > >Will H-CPM for example be optimal and feasible for this BW, and what’s >the bit rate? Of course C source code would be appreciated. ...

Web resources about - cpm-86 disk image - comp.os.cpm