disk alignment program

Hi Does anyone have a disk alignment program disk for the Osborne OCC1? Happy to pay for a copy.
0
don
8/29/2016 4:20:57 AM
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 11:20:58 PM UTC-5, don gillies wrote:
> Hi Does anyone have a disk alignment program disk for the Osborne OCC1? Happy to pay for a copy.

Disk alignment requires a special factory disk - either digital or analogue.

Before you stick an alignment disk into a drive you must make sure the drive won't destroy a disk no longer manufactured.

The head must be cleaned and the headload pad should be replaced.

I doubt you can buy an alignment disk before you even start with how to control the drive.

Your best bet is not to ask how to align - it is complicated - instead ask about who could do it for you.

If you decide to have someone else do it make sure they understand the OS1 does not use standard drives but drives with a custom controller board that gets power off the 34 pin connector.

Randy
0
randy482
8/29/2016 5:42:12 AM
If you need spares I have 2 for sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222221239790
0
William
8/31/2016 9:20:23 AM
Floppy Drive Alignment Disks:

I know this will be received by some with scoffing but seriously, can't an alignment disk of
(1) the original patterns or
(2) an updated method,
be created today if someone didn't mind machining the fixture to accurately place the r/w head at various precise track radius dimensions needed or at the precise original alignment pattern radius placements used?

Sure floppy restoration is a diminishing interest with every year that passes, but why not put some thought to it instead of looking for existing alignment diskettes like and adventure game quest?

I would think that a floppy drive would be of little value as this fixture, but its electronics and r/w heads obviously would be useful.

Requiring a scope for a cat's eye pattern seems antiquated considering today's technology? Anyone have a constructive idea?

Certainly an advanced makerspace project for a clever machinist and electronic friend.

Maybe a discussion would be appropriate on the possibilities instead of sticking with the past method. Comments and even scoffing will be appreciated. :)

JDallas
Every different floppy disk company used heads of varying sizes, and dimens=
ions with the head mounting and head carriage also being different.  You ca=
n't have a standard fixture for objects without standard dimensions.

Establishing standard alignment specs allowed floppy manufacturers to produ=
ct products with different dimensions to all work together.  Which is why s=
tandardized alignment disks exist.

Digital Alignment Testers exist to replace oscilloscopes  for alignment pro=
cedures.  Unfortunately none are being manufactured anymore, and they used =
to cost the same or more than a oscilloscope.  The advantage of a digital a=
lignment tester is faster setup, less resetting of test probes and faster w=
orking procedure.

I have and use Digital Alignment Testers (Lynx Technologies of Canada) and =
they costed between $400-$1500 when they were new.  They still require the =
use of analog alignment disks to work properly.  And the use of a Floppy Di=
sk Drive Exerciser is recommended to reduce the chance of damage by a defec=
tive floppy disk drvie.
0
mike
9/26/2016 3:32:49 AM
Mike wrote:
> ...You can't have a standard fixture for objects
> without standard dimensions...

Perhaps it wasn't clear.

The only fixture suggested was one to create new (as in created in 2016+) alignment disks, either of the (1) original pattern/method, or (2) of a new pattern/method.

I assume its a given that the alignment disks cannot be created in a standard drive ror whatever size floppy, or else that method would have been exploited already. So a fixture seems a necessary effort.

JDallas
On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 8:57:58 PM UTC-7, Jay_in_Dallas wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> > ...You can't have a standard fixture for objects
> > without standard dimensions...
>=20
> Perhaps it wasn't clear.
>=20
> The only fixture suggested was one to create new (as in created in 2016+)=
 alignment disks, either of the (1) original pattern/method, or (2) of a ne=
w pattern/method.
>=20
> I assume its a given that the alignment disks cannot be created in a stan=
dard drive ror whatever size floppy, or else that method would have been ex=
ploited already. So a fixture seems a necessary effort.
>=20
> JDallas

Digital and analog alignment disks are still available from Accurite at acc=
urite.com.

What I was trying to say is that mechanical alignment fixtures are not prac=
tical across the range of 5.25" 3.5" or 8" floppy drives.  You need to use =
a oscilloscope OR a digital alignment tester along with a analog alignment =
disk to align floppy disk drives.  The replacement for oscilloscope when al=
igning a floppy disk drive was/were digital alignment testers.  Unfortunate=
ly, as far as I know, no digital alignment testers are currently in product=
ion.  The ones that I have and use costed between $400-$1500 when they were=
 in production.  Given the small demand for new digital alignment testers, =
the possibility of new, low quantity production at a lower, more attractive=
 price for hobby people is doubtful.

The least expensive way to get small quantities of floppy drive serviced is=
 probably to take them to a professional.  If you insist on trying to repai=
r and align floppies yourself, you need a decent quality 100mhz (minimum) d=
ual trace oscilloscope  You could find a working one on eBay between $100-$=
300.  You might find one that needs work if you are willing to learn how to=
 fix it for $0-$50.  Then, I recommend a drive exerciser to control the flo=
ppy drives.  You might find a used one for between $15-$50 on eBay.  And la=
stly, you will need some alignment disks, $65 for 3.5", or 5.25" or $200 fo=
r an 8" alignment disk.

If you want the more modern hardware solution, look for an alignment tester=
 on eBay.  They crop up occasionally on eBay for between $50-$250.  Look fo=
r a Lynx Technology Alignment Tester.  The Model 460 and 475 are the more a=
dvanced units.
0
mike