MFM to IDE Adapter

I have a CompuPro 816 System with a Q540 MFM 40 Meg HD that is getting
shaky. Sure would like to be able to use an IDE of which I have
several that would work. Maybe Someone will consider creating a MFM to
IDE Adapter Board that would insert between the MFM Cables and the IDE
Drive. I'm sure there is a lot of Older CP/M machines out there that
would benefit.
Bob in Wisconsin
0
trebor77 (22)
2/24/2011 2:00:39 PM
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"BrightFame"  wrote in message

I have a CompuPro 816 System with a Q540 MFM 40 Meg HD that is getting
shaky. Sure would like to be able to use an IDE of which I have
several that would work. Maybe Someone will consider creating a MFM to
IDE Adapter Board that would insert between the MFM Cables and the IDE
Drive. I'm sure there is a lot of Older CP/M machines out there that
would benefit.
Bob in Wisconsin

You might be able to get one here:

http://www.s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/IDE%20Board/My%20IDE%20Card.htm

Tom L

-1
Tom
2/24/2011 2:52:16 PM
"Tom Lake" posted:

> You might be able to get [a S-100 hard disk controller?] here:
>
> http://www.s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/IDE%20Board/My%20IDE...

This is an IDE interface for S-100, not a MFM to IDE "converter" as
Bob (Bright Fame) requested. But it's the more practical solution
because it exists, and the magic "MFM to IDE" only existed as a
several hundred dollars commercial product. Search comp.os.cpm
archives to find the long history of discussing why "MFM to IDE" is
not simple.

But supporting IDE interfaces on Z80 systems has been done since IDE
became available; and discussed here in comp.os.cpm on almost an
annual basis. IDE is a pure digital interface and the IDE drive does
almost all the heavy lifting. Again, old discussions walk through
this.

John's project page above, fails to mention the decades-long history
of GIDE in the CP/M world. Versions of this small IDE interface by
Tilmann Reh of Germany have been available since the 1990's. I have a
Web page on the GIDE, because I first imported the GIDE from Europe
into the USA, in the 1990's; I choose to follow its progress, as does
Tilmann on his site.

http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/gide.html

Various IDE implementations have been done many times for Z80 and
other microcomputers. The Web page mentions some. It can be done with
a 8255 parallel interface chip, if your CPU is reasonably fast. Many
old S-100 cards have that chip and it's not hard to add one "from
scratch". But you can build an IDE interface with the same effort,
probably including the one at s100-computers.com.

And, recent discussion here on a microSD flash card controller with
SERIAL interface (not SPI) offers another hardware-simple and cheaper
solution which only requires a UART/serial port.

Herb Johnson
retrotechnology.com
0
Herbert
2/24/2011 5:40:15 PM
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:40:15 -0800 (PST), Herbert Johnson
<herbrjohnson@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is an IDE interface for S-100, not a MFM to IDE "converter" as
>Bob (Bright Fame) requested. But it's the more practical solution
>because it exists, and the magic "MFM to IDE" only existed as a
>several hundred dollars commercial product. Search comp.os.cpm
>archives to find the long history of discussing why "MFM to IDE" is
>not simple.
It would be much more straightforward to design a SASI/SCSI-to-IDE
interface, rather than capture the analogue high-speed differential
signalling at the MFM end.

I'm not saying it would be "simple", but translating the digital (and
inherently deterministic) interface would be an order of magnitude
less difficult. It would result in much faster (and probably more
reliable) and MUCH lower-powered data access.

It's surprising (to me, with my limited vocabulary of almost entirely
SASI-only and SCSI-only HDD Z-80 interfaces) that this option hasn't
been done to death already. Which means it must have been! :)

-PCP
0
PC
2/24/2011 8:21:38 PM
On 02/24/2011 03:21 PM, PC Pete wrote:

> It's surprising (to me, with my limited vocabulary of almost entirely
> SASI-only and SCSI-only HDD Z-80 interfaces) that this option hasn't
> been done to death already. Which means it must have been! :)

These most definitely exist.  I have one in my Alpha UP2000+ system.  The box
has an Adaptec 39160 SCSI controller and the converter lets me put a
100-something GB IDE drive on line.

I've seen them for 50-pin SCSI as well.

Steve

0
Steven
2/24/2011 11:55:22 PM
On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:55:22 -0500, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch@gmail.com>
wrote:
>These most definitely exist.  I have one in my Alpha UP2000+ system.  The box
>has an Adaptec 39160 SCSI controller and the converter lets me put a
>100-something GB IDE drive on line.
>
>I've seen them for 50-pin SCSI as well.
Steve, do you remember who made your device? More to the point, do you
know if the manufacturer is still "alive"?

If there were such a beast designed for SASI, that would be a bonus.
If not, I've still got my SASI I/F schematics that might be worth
digging into.

I know a few Pulsar LBB system owners who would definitely be
interested in extending the life/reliability of their HDD systems!

If only I had another 12 or 13 hours a day, I'd jump in and design
something, no questions asked. I had to write a SASI drive exerciser
in assembler, and I still have the source (in printed format at
least). So I'm not too rusty. Ah well, if it isn't already a real
product, I'll add it to the list of stuff I need to design - alongside
the 8" to 5" FDD adapter, STD bus monitor, 2797 upgrade, etc!

If anyone else has seen anything similar to a SASI-to-IDE adapter
(especially if it was or is available in Australia), I'd be really
interested to hear from youse!

Cheers,
PCPete
0
PC
2/25/2011 8:33:10 AM
On 02/25/2011 03:33 AM, PC Pete wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:55:22 -0500, Steven Hirsch<snhirsch@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> These most definitely exist.  I have one in my Alpha UP2000+ system.  The box
>> has an Adaptec 39160 SCSI controller and the converter lets me put a
>> 100-something GB IDE drive on line.
>>
>> I've seen them for 50-pin SCSI as well.

> Steve, do you remember who made your device? More to the point, do you
> know if the manufacturer is still "alive"?

The unit I used was an ACARD AEC-7726H.  Judging from the product matrix on
the box, you would want an ARS-2000FU or AEC-7720U.  The first is an entire
5.25" frame + adapter, the second is a card with enhanced firmware to support
optical drives (CD/DVD) in addition to hard disks.

I found quite a number of sources in a quick Google search.  Unfortunately,
these devices have become (in my opinion) hideously expensive - perhaps 4-6x
what I recall paying for my units.

Check out acard's web site.  All models appear current, albeit with usurious
price tags.

Steve
0
Steven
2/25/2011 12:58:08 PM
Steven Hirsch  wrote:

> The [SCSI to IDE] unit I used was an ACARD AEC-7726H.

> I found quite a number of sources in a quick Google search. =A0Unfortunat=
ely,
> these devices have become (in my opinion) hideously expensive - perhaps 4=
-6x
> what I recall paying for my units.

I think I saw maybe two manufacturers, and several dealers of them.
Dealer prices were cheaper.

THere may have been a time when SCSI to IDE items were made by several
companies, in volume. So there was competition and volume to keep
prices down. Even so, current prices (I saw) of $150-$250 are not
awful. I recall MFM to (Something) converters were SEVERAL hundred
dollars in an earlier era. Steve, did you really pay under $50 for
your Acard converter, and if so when?

Herb Johnson
retrotechnology.com

0
Herbert
2/25/2011 6:00:21 PM
On 02/25/2011 01:00 PM, Herbert Johnson wrote:
> Steven Hirsch  wrote:
>
>> The [SCSI to IDE] unit I used was an ACARD AEC-7726H.
>
>> I found quite a number of sources in a quick Google search.  Unfortunately,
>> these devices have become (in my opinion) hideously expensive - perhaps 4-6x
>> what I recall paying for my units.
>
> I think I saw maybe two manufacturers, and several dealers of them.
> Dealer prices were cheaper.
>
> THere may have been a time when SCSI to IDE items were made by several
> companies, in volume. So there was competition and volume to keep
> prices down. Even so, current prices (I saw) of $150-$250 are not
> awful. I recall MFM to (Something) converters were SEVERAL hundred
> dollars in an earlier era. Steve, did you really pay under $50 for
> your Acard converter, and if so when?

I definitely recall them being in the vicinity of $40-50 when purchased, which
would have been about 6-7 years ago.
0
Steven
2/25/2011 6:19:29 PM
In <1dce94a4-4a76-4cc5-ab1f-3de1aca97381@y30g2000prf.googlegroups.com> Herbert Johnson <herbrjohnson@gmail.com> writes:

> [...]
> I recall MFM to (Something) converters
> [...]

   Do you mean ST-506 when you say "MFM"?

   Eddi ._._.
--
"Do whatever you want as long as you're not destroying somebody else's
 words." (Tim Skirvin)        -          e-mail: dk3uz AT arrl DOT net
On Feb 24, 3:21=A0pm, PC Pete <PCP...@audiography.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:40:15 -0800 (PST), Herbert Johnson
>
> <herbrjohn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >This is an IDE interface for S-100, not a MFM to IDE "converter" as
> >Bob (Bright Fame) requested. But it's the more practical solution
> >because it exists, and the magic "MFM to IDE" only existed as a
> >several hundred dollars commercial product. Search comp.os.cpm
> >archives to find the long history of discussing why "MFM to IDE" is
> >not simple.
>
> It would be much more straightforward to design a SASI/SCSI-to-IDE
> interface, rather than capture the analogue high-speed differential
> signalling at the MFM end.
>
> I'm not saying it would be "simple", but translating the digital (and
> inherently deterministic) interface would be an order of magnitude
> less difficult. It would result in much faster (and probably more
> reliable) and MUCH lower-powered data access.
>
> It's surprising (to me, with my limited vocabulary of almost entirely
> SASI-only and SCSI-only HDD Z-80 interfaces) that this option hasn't
> been done to death already. Which means it must have been! :)
>
> -PCP

Hi Pete,

Yes, I think you are right.  An MFM to IDE converter would be very
complex and complicated.  It is unlikely to exist in any form
especially as a hobbyist project.  The MFM ST506/ST412 very complex
and most controllers are unique to their drives.  Rarely can an MFM
harddrive formatted on one controller be successfully operated and
data read on a different manufacturer's controller.

I do not see how a ST506/ST412 to IDE interface is practical due to
the speed of processing the realtime data.  A Catweasel like device
for floppy drives generates a good amount of data on just plain floppy
disks at 125Kbps, 250Kbps, 500 Kbps signals.  Scaling up to ST506/
ST412 data rates would be quite dramatic -- 5MB or greater.  As Herb
said, this topic has been hashed out repeatedly here and elsewhere.

On the other hand, I believe a hobbyist SCSI-1 to IDE interface is
much more simple and practical since both interfaces are purely
digital and generally SCSI and IDE drives are intelligent devices.
The drives do a lot of the hard work such as the real time data
extraction and encoding themselves.  There is a homebrew hobbyists
SCSI-1 to IDE (and SD) project underway at vintage-computer.com
forums.  I designed a PCB for it a while back.

So far the SCSI to IDE/SD project has not really taken off although
there are about 5 or 6 builders with boards underway.  Hopefully we'll
see one come to pass in the near future.  The project is hobbyist in
nature so it uses common parts like Z80, RAM, ROM, and the Zilog
Z53C80 SCSI interface IC.  My hope is this project will be successful
before the last of the SCSI-1 drives disappear.  They were never as
common as IDE drives and their availability is steadily dropping off.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch
0
lynchaj
2/26/2011 4:30:42 AM
On 02/25/2011 11:30 PM, lynchaj wrote:

> Yes, I think you are right.  An MFM to IDE converter would be very
> complex and complicated.  It is unlikely to exist in any form
> especially as a hobbyist project.  The MFM ST506/ST412 very complex
> and most controllers are unique to their drives.  Rarely can an MFM
> harddrive formatted on one controller be successfully operated and
> data read on a different manufacturer's controller.
>
> I do not see how a ST506/ST412 to IDE interface is practical due to
> the speed of processing the realtime data.  A Catweasel like device
> for floppy drives generates a good amount of data on just plain floppy
> disks at 125Kbps, 250Kbps, 500 Kbps signals.  Scaling up to ST506/
> ST412 data rates would be quite dramatic -- 5MB or greater.  As Herb
> said, this topic has been hashed out repeatedly here and elsewhere.

Andrew,

The nuts and bolts have already been done.  See the cctech mailing list for
threads discussing Philip Pemberton's DiscFerret.  The PIC CPU he uses is fast
enough to manage acquisition from an ST-506 MFM drive.  Discferret is designed
for track-at-a-time reads/writes with transfers to a host PC over USB.  The
core logic could certainly form the basis of an MFM-IDE adapter.  Not a
beginner's project, but certainly feasible.

0
Steven
2/26/2011 4:24:13 PM
On Friday, February 25, 2011 7:33:10 PM UTC+11, PC Pete wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:55:22 -0500, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >These most definitely exist.  I have one in my Alpha UP2000+ system.  The box
> >has an Adaptec 39160 SCSI controller and the converter lets me put a
> >100-something GB IDE drive on line.
> >
> >I've seen them for 50-pin SCSI as well.
> Steve, do you remember who made your device? More to the point, do you
> know if the manufacturer is still "alive"?
>
> If there were such a beast designed for SASI, that would be a bonus.
> If not, I've still got my SASI I/F schematics that might be worth
> digging into.
>
> I know a few Pulsar LBB system owners who would definitely be
> interested in extending the life/reliability of their HDD systems!
>
> If only I had another 12 or 13 hours a day, I'd jump in and design
> something, no questions asked. I had to write a SASI drive exerciser
> in assembler, and I still have the source (in printed format at
> least). So I'm not too rusty. Ah well, if it isn't already a real
> product, I'll add it to the list of stuff I need to design - alongside
> the 8" to 5" FDD adapter, STD bus monitor, 2797 upgrade, etc!
>
> If anyone else has seen anything similar to a SASI-to-IDE adapter
> (especially if it was or is available in Australia), I'd be really
> interested to hear from youse!
>
> Cheers,
> PCPete

Hi PCPete,

Just noticed your post whilst looking for a SASI to SCSI adaptor and thought this may interest you also, however it won't be cheap.

http://www.peripheral-vision.com/legacy.htm

ClemFM
0
ClemFM
2/17/2013 11:36:02 AM
On Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:40:15 AM UTC-8, Herbert Johnson wrote:
> "Tom Lake" posted:
> >
> > You might be able to get [a S-100 hard disk controller?] here:
> >
> > http://www.s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/IDE%20Board/My%20IDE..=
..
>=20
> This is an IDE interface for S-100, not a MFM to IDE "converter" as
> Bob (Bright Fame) requested. But it's the more practical solution
> because it exists, and the magic "MFM to IDE" only existed as a
> several hundred dollars commercial product. Search comp.os.cpm
> archives to find the long history of discussing why "MFM to IDE" is
> not simple.
>=20
> But supporting IDE interfaces on Z80 systems has been done since IDE
> became available; and discussed here in comp.os.cpm on almost an
> annual basis. IDE is a pure digital interface and the IDE drive does
> almost all the heavy lifting. Again, old discussions walk through
> this.
>=20
> John's project page above, fails to mention the decades-long history
> of GIDE in the CP/M world. Versions of this small IDE interface by
> Tilmann Reh of Germany have been available since the 1990's. I have a
> Web page on the GIDE, because I first imported the GIDE from Europe
> into the USA, in the 1990's; I choose to follow its progress, as does
> Tilmann on his site.
>=20
> http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/gide.html
>=20
> Various IDE implementations have been done many times for Z80 and
> other microcomputers. The Web page mentions some. It can be done with
> a 8255 parallel interface chip, if your CPU is reasonably fast. Many
> old S-100 cards have that chip and it's not hard to add one "from
> scratch". But you can build an IDE interface with the same effort,
> probably including the one at s100-computers.com.
>=20
> And, recent discussion here on a microSD flash card controller with
> SERIAL interface (not SPI) offers another hardware-simple and cheaper
> solution which only requires a UART/serial port.
>=20
> Herb Johnson
> retrotechnology.com

The GIDE board Herb is indeed a very interesting way to connect the Z80 up =
to an IDE drive. It's not a S-100 board in itself (so not listed on the web=
 site, however some day when I get a chance i will write it up).

The two issues I had with the board are: it is specific for the Z80 and cou=
ld nor be used with our other boards, 68K, 8086, 80286 80386 ... etc. in th=
e future. I suppose you could in a master/slave S100 bus style write a BIOS=
 to flip in/out the Z80 for disk I/O but this would be a real bottleneck in=
 faster systems.

Secondly if I remember correctly no source code of the driver was available=
.. perhaps I am wrong. Also are the "adaptors" still available
John
0
monahan9999

FA: keyboard, OS 3.1, mouse, VGA-adapter, ext. floppy, A3000UX, A4000T, 128 MB PS/2, A1084S, IDE-Kit, graphics card, RAM expansion and more
Hi! I have some amiga-items for auction: keyboard A3000/2000 complete package OS 3.1 original CBM mouse external floppy drive from CUMANA VGA-adapter Amiga 3000UX (mint) A4000T 128 MB PS/2 extra slim (for blizzard turbocards) monitor A1084S (mint) IDE-Kit (controller, harddisk, CDRom, cables, etc.) 512kb/4MB RAM expansion for A500 Zorro graphics card and also a Toshiba Tecra 8200 Business Notebook. http://shop.ebay.de/cph_ao/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1 -- Ciao Christian Christian Hoppe schrieb: > Hi! > > I...

IDE Adapter !
How to use a IDE to parallel box from PC . On a Amiga 1200 what mountlist or interface must i use ? I found PPAZIP for paralell ZIP Drive but i don't know if it work with a IDE To // box from PC. Thanx Jean F�DUK wrote: > How to use a IDE to parallel box from PC . On a Amiga 1200 what mountlist or > interface must i use ? > I found PPAZIP for paralell ZIP Drive but i don't know if it work with a IDE There is no 'standard' communication protocol for parallel port adapters. The dev icon, and the device (driver) file it uses would be differe...

Non-RISC OS partitions on IDE/SCSI podules and counting RISC OS 5 discs
Can partitions used by operating systems[1] other than RISC OS, on discs attached to podules supporting partitions, be accessed as individual discs using the FileCore SWIs? All of them, or just some? Or failing that, can the whole disc be accessed? Also, how do I find all the drives on a RISC OS 5 system? On earlier versions of RISC OS I can find all the FileCore instances with OS_Module 12, then use FileCore_Drives to find the number of "floppies" and "hard discs", end then assume "floppies" are numbered from 0 and "hard discs" are numbered from 4....

Puppy Linux 5.1: HDD not mountable (SD-card in a CF-adapter in an IDE-adapter)
The HDD which is an SD-card in a CF-adapter in an IDE-adapter is not listed among the mountable devices. I have a Thinkpad T20 w/ 192 MB RAM and boot Puppy 5.1 from CD-R. I already have an earlier version of Puppy installed on the SD-card and I can still boot that if I remove the CD-R. My intention was to install the new Puppy on the HDD (which is an SD-card). I cannot easily remove the SD-card since it was extremely difficult to fit the IDE-adapter. Any idea how I could install to the SD-card/HDD when it's not even discovered by the mount system? ...

Puppy Linux 5.1: HDD not mountable (SD-card in a CF-adapter in an IDE-adapter) #2
The HDD which is an SD-card in a CF-adapter in an IDE-adapter is not listed among the mountable devices. I have a Thinkpad T20 w/ 192 MB RAM and boot Puppy 5.1 from CD-R. I already have an earlier version of Puppy installed on the SD-card and I can still boot that if I remove the CD-R. My intention was to install the new Puppy on the HDD (which is an SD-card). I cannot easily remove the SD-card since it was extremely difficult to fit the IDE-adapter. Any idea how I could install to the SD-card/HDD when it's not even discovered by the mount system? GParted doesn't see the SD-card when ...

Upgrading laptop's HDD via desktop's IDE channels + IDE adapter connectors
My WinXP Pro laptop contains only one HDD that has begun clicking and doesn't always boot. It must be replaced ASAP. It is an emergency and I may only get one shot at success. That laptop has only a USB 1.0 port which is too slow to be worth obtaining an external HDD for. I looked at USB2 PCMCIA adapters and they were also still too slow for external HDD use. I have a Win2000 desktop computer. So I obtained a pair of laptop-to-IDE cable adapters and would like to use the desktop PC and Ghost 2003 to do a disk-to-disk cloning of one laptop HDD to the other laptop HDD. 1) The laptop HDDs h...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other
> -----Original Message----- > From: JF Mezei [mailto:jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 11:45 PM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 > OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other=20 >=20 > "Main, Kerry" wrote: > > Course, there are many ways to offer differen...

RE: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')
> -----Original Message----- > From: Soterro [mailto:soterroatyahoocom@address.hp.com]=20 > Sent: October 11, 2004 9:43 AM > To: Info-VAX@Mvb.Saic.Com > Subject: Re: Obsucure Inquier article about Intel mentions=20 > VMS (and not any other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS')=20 > other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') other OS') >=20 > Main, Kerry wrote: > >>From: John Smith [mailto:a@nonymous.com]=20 > >>You aren't directly to blame for this and I know you'd like=20 > >>to keep your > >>job, but just how many times have you and your colleagues=20 > >>written carly(tm) > >>or curly or GQ Bob about this in the past? > >=20 > > Actually, I work with UNIX, Windows as well as OpenVMS.=20 > You're value to > > any corporation goes up exponentially if you know more than one OS.=20 >=20 > I think JS asked something else: is it so out of this world to think=20 > that the insiders could point their superiors to some things? >=20 > S > And you think perhaps that this does not happen? Course, there are many ways to offer different opinions within a large company, but keep in mind that every OS or platform within a company will always try and say it needs more $'s to promote/enhance itself.=20 Take a big company like IBM - what do you think an AIX field person's chances are of convincing their Mgmt to qui...

Drivers: MultiMac Intel PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter &quot;OS/2 Community&quot; Driver for OS/2 &amp; eCS V0.1.6
++ From the VOICE OS/2-eCS News Service http://www.os2voice.org ++ From: madodelDESPAM@DESPAMptdprolog.net On hobbes there is a new OS/2 NDIS2 network driver for the Intel PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. A debug version of the driver is included. This is part of the Multimac network driver project. The Standard MAC Driver Project for eComStation "This is an NDIS driver for Intel Gigabit PCI-Express LAN adapters. This driver is based on the source code of e1000e Linux kernel module and of nveth NVIDIA NIC driver for OS/2 developed by nickk." According to the project we...

which scsi to ide adapter?
Hi,all I want add some new IDE harddisk(s) to our Ultra60 workstation because large capacity SCSI HD is too expensive for us, I searched by google and there says a scsi to ide adapter can simulate SCSI HD with IDE HD. But I have no any experience for adding a new (even scsi) disk to Ultra60 workstation, I want to know which adapters are compatible with Ultra60? and what else need I care about ? OS is Solaris 5.7. Regards Michael Michael wrote: > > Hi,all > I want add some new IDE harddisk(s) to our Ultra60 workstation because > large capacity SCSI HD is too expensive for us, I searched by google and > there says a scsi to ide adapter can simulate SCSI HD with IDE HD. But I > have no any experience for adding a new (even scsi) disk to Ultra60 > workstation, I want to know which adapters are compatible with Ultra60? and > what else need I care about ? > OS is Solaris 5.7. > > Regards > > Michael Do a search on google groups under comp.sys.sun.* This matter came up a few months back. -- Dr. David Kirkby, Senior Research Fellow, Department of Medical Physics, University College London, 11-20 Capper St, London, WC1E 6JA. Tel: 020 7679 6408 Fax: 020 7679 6269 Internal telephone: ext 46408 e-mail davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk ...

SCSI IDE Adapter
Have an old external SCSI enclosure that I want to mount a IDE DVD burner in. Am told there is a SCSI-2-IDE adapter board that was used by Yamaha several years ago to convert old IDE CD burners to SCSI which may work with a DVD Burner also. The adapter card was not made by Yamaha but by a third party. Anyone come across such a card. Thanks Unless your PC won't support it, you'd probably be better off to just get an external USB2 enclosure to mount the drive in. Something along the lines of: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817186102 I&#...

SATA to IDE adapters..
Besides ABIT who else makes these things.. List of brands please.. ...

Palm OS IDE
Hello, I am trying to select the best IDE for Palm OS 5.0 development. I want to implement a simple data collector application that will synchronized with a PC desktop application (Access database). My main requirements are: 1. Ability to use custom fonts, I want to use Greek characters and to make sure that my data will get transfered correctly to my PC desktop application. 2. Bluetooth support 3. Good documentation and samples Until now, I found the following: Codewarrior: Very powerfull but it is very difficult to master. It has a slow learning curve. Many people a...

ide to sata adapter
hi i have just purchases a sata 500g hd my motherboard does not have a sata connection so i purchased a NewLink SATA to IDE Adapter. the problem i have is that there is no manual. i have plugged the ide side into my secondry ide slot on the motherboard and powered up. that sata drive is working but windows xp home does not see it what am i doing wrong Is the IDE hard drive seen in the BIOS? The BIOS must be properly configured to see that drive. What makes you say that "Windows XP Home does not see it"? Are you talking about the Windows CD or is this a secondary har...

SATA to IDE adapters..
Besides ABIT who else makes these things.. List of brands please.. Not the DSE one is it only can be used with one stacked drive.. My dealer has not even heard of them.. On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:24:57 +1300 puss@purrpurr.com wrote: > > > > Besides ABIT who else makes these things.. > > List of brands please.. > > Not the DSE one is it only can be used with one stacked drive.. > > > My dealer has not even heard of them.. Google is your friend. -- -- --John Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net (was ...

Add-on IDE adapters?
I have an older machine I'm trying to use as a file server (yeah, the same project as my initial post). I had an array of older SCSI drives but they're failing and I'm running out of spares. I *do* have a number of reasonable-sized IDE drives that I can use but the machine only has one IDE channel that I'm using for a boot drive and a CD. I have a couple of add-on IDE adapters in the parts bin. Does anyone know if the Debian 2.6.8 kernel would be able to use them to control additional drives? -- -- Marten Kemp (Fix name and ISP to reply) -=-=- .... "There must be securi...

QL IDE adapter?
Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to expand my rediscovered QL :) Thanks Ian. dna-7e6g@iximail.com did eloquently scribble: > Its a long shot - but anyone have a QL IDE adapter (any) they would > like to sell? Or any plug in hardware for that matter? Trying to > expand > my rediscovered QL :) Check out tf services and rwap. Maybe one of those has a spare QubIDE interface for sale. -- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- | spike1@freenet.c...

PHP IDE for OS X
I'm looking for recommendations on a PHP IDE. The ones I have found so far are: Navicat: http://www.navicat.com/mysql_php_ide/index.php Zend Studio: http://www.zend.com/store/products/zend-studio.php?home I'm new to PHP programming. Something that will hold my hand is welcome :) Also I will be primarily using MySQL in conjunction with PHP. Support for the database would be welcome. Are there any features I should take into consideration? On 2004-12-06 00:47:20 -0500, Steve Wilson <chaffed@speakeasy.net> said: > I'm looking for recommendations on a PHP ...

Who is interested by an IDE adapter for STE ?
Hello guys It's a question; I am looking for all guys who are interested by IDE hard drive adapter for STE (it will be perhaps internal , but no on the cartridge port and not St, no STF.. sorry) If we are 100 (minimum), Rodolphe Czuba (CT60 creator) will be ready for looking this project so if you are REALLY REALLY interested (only serious guys please), send your (valid) email address to this email IDEPROJECT@FREE.FR with this message (it's an example) - Yes, I am really interested by an IDE adapter for my favourite STE (It's not the project but if you are interested for an IDE adapter for MegaSTE or TT, tell me too) It's not a preorder !!! , don't ask any info about price, size, etc. it's just for starting the project ATARI FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! begin 666 icon_smile.gif M1TE&.#EA#P`/`)$!`````+^_O___`````"'Y! $```$`+ `````/``\```(N MC V9QY$"X6(@6GGJO0!)+3RA$XDA:&Y6JGXMIX$K%G,8^2EE]G:4?&ID%+Y# #`0`[ ` end did you send an email to IDEPROJECT@FREE.FR ? it's the only way if you are interested. thanks Bastien "Ronald J. Hall" <dark_lord@charter.net> a �crit dans le message de news: pan.2006.01.28.18.06.30.678463@charter.net... > On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:29:56 +0100, badak wrote: > >> (It's not the project but if you are interested for an IDE adapter for >> MegaSTE or TT, tell me too) > > I know I already m...

Who is interested by an IDE adapter for STE ?
Hello guys It's a question; I am looking for all guys who are interested by IDE hard drive adapter for STE (it will be perhaps internal , but no on the cartridge port and not St, no STF.. sorry) If we are 100 (minimum), Rodolphe Czuba (CT60 creator) will be ready for looking this project so if you are REALLY REALLY interested (only serious guys please), send your (valid) email address to this email IDEPROJECT@FREE.FR with this message (it's an example) - Yes, I am really interested by an IDE adapter for my favourite STE (It's not the project but if you are int...

SATA -to-IDE Adapter Recommendations
Can anyone recommend a SATA-to-IDE Adapter for use with an Intel 865PERL mobo? I would like to use a couple of PATA hard drives with the motherboard's SATA controller. Is Abit's "serillel" adaptor compatible? Thanks. Nigel7 wrote: > Can anyone recommend a SATA-to-IDE Adapter for use with an Intel 865PERL > mobo? I would like to use a couple of PATA hard drives with the > motherboard's SATA controller. Is Abit's "serillel" adaptor compatible? > Thanks. There is very little difference in price between a Promise controller and an SATA to IDE, but you are less likely to have a "learning experience" with a real IDE controller. There are others, I just happen to have just grabbed a Promise from newegg for $32. -- bill davidsen (davidsen@darkstar.prodigy.com) SBC/Prodigy Yorktown Heights NY data center Project Leader, USENET news http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com ...

Compact Flash IDE adapter
I've bought an IDE Compact Flash adapter for my Milan, but I can't get it to recognise any of my CF cards. I've tried to install the adapter both as slave and master, but no difference. My oldest CF card (an old 64Mb TwinMos card) isn't recognised by HD-Driver at all, while my newest card (also from TwinMos, but with 512Mb) is recognised but can't be used. With the 512Mb card both TOS and HD-Driver recognise it at boot-up, but it's not accessable from the desktop. Hddrutil won't let me format or partition it, it's like the card isn't there at all. If I let hddrutil scan for devices, it reports the card as a Samsung CF-card during the first scan, but any further scans reports it as a Megafile 20... Both the adapter and both cards works fine on a PC running XP, so I assume that the problem is that HD-Driver is picky about cards. I have HD-Driver 8.03, does anybody know if a more recent version will help? Also, does anybody use CF-cards and IDE-adapters successfully? -- /* ** Jo Even Skarstein http://joska.nvg.org/ */ Jo Even Skarstein a �crit : Hello Jo, > > [...] > Both the adapter and both cards works fine on a PC running XP, so I assume > that the problem is that HD-Driver is picky about cards. I have HD-Driver > 8.03, does anybody know if a more recent version will help? Current version is 8.13, optimized for CT60. Regards, J.-Luc -- "From" is invalid...

SATA to IDE adapters.. #3
Besides ABIT who else makes these things.. List of brands please.. ...

IDE for Mac OS X
All, I was wondering what would be the best JAVA IDE for the Macintosh OS X system? Thanks in advance, John On Mon, 9 May 2005 14:18:14 -0500, John Humphress wrote (in article <BEA521A6.1721%hjohn@americasm01.nt.com>): > All, > > I was wondering what would be the best JAVA IDE for the Macintosh OS X > system? > > Thanks in advance, > John > "Best" is in the eye of the beholder. However, the ones you should look at include: XCode (free from Apple) Eclipse IDEA JBuilder NetBeans -- Bill Tschumy Otherwise -- Austin, TX http://www.otherwise.c...

Web resources about - MFM to IDE Adapter - comp.os.cpm

Adapter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An electrical adapter may enable connection of a socket used in one region to a plug used in another by offering connections for the disparate ...

AC Adapter - Replacement Laptop AC Adapters
Online shopping for laptop ac adapters at the best price.Buy cheap ac adapters for your laptop computer.

M3 Adapter
Update the firmware of the M3i Zero GMP-Z003 card to support running in new 3DS (Ver. 4.1.0-8E, Ver. 4.1.0-8J, Ver. 4.1.0-8U) and DSi (Ver 1.4.4E, ...

Bluetooth RFCOMM / SDP connection to a RS232 adapter in android
The Android API provides examples of using listenUsingRfcommWithServiceRecord() to set up a socket and createRfcommSocketToServiceRecord() to ...

Mac App Store - Power Adapter Alarm
Get Power Adapter Alarm on the Mac App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Apple USB Power Adapters - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Comparison of various Apple USB power adapters for iPhone and iPod.

Miracast Wireless Display with Windows 8.1 - Stream PC to TV without Adapters! - YouTube
In this video, I demo native Miracast wireless display support on Windows 8.1 with Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch and Samsung Smart TV. You can use Miracast ...

Apple recalls more than a decade of power adapters due to risk of electric shock
Tech giant instigates massive international recall of power point adapters due to risk of electric shock.

Apple's iPhone 5 'Lightning' adapters will retail for $35 and $45, not available until October
Apple's decision to change the iPhone 5's dock connector means you'll need an adapter or two.

Apple slammed over power adapter recall, 'incidents' may be under-reported
Consumer group Choice calls for more information on the 'incidents' exposing consumers to electric shock, as more customers come forward detailing ...