Space Invaders For Altair 8800?

Does this exist as a paper tape/cassette emulator file, or as a disk
emulator file for CP/M?
0
Gil
11/19/2016 3:19:31 AM
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 4:19:37 AM UTC+1, Gil Hutchins wrote:

> Does this exist as a paper tape/cassette emulator file, or as a disk
> emulator file for CP/M?

Not special for the Altair, and there was none with Dazzler graphics as far as I know.
Doable with 128x128 BW graphics, though.

There have been Invaders game for all kind of CP/M systems, the Kaypros came with
an ASCII version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_(Kaypro_video_game)

The Nascom has one with block graphics:

http://www.nascomhomepage.com

There are plenty more, need a bit modification for the terminal/graphics to make
it working on an Altair.
0
Udo
11/19/2016 11:41:29 AM
Re: Space Invaders

I have a Kansas City Format cassette tape of a very nice version written by Mini-Term Associates for their Merlin 320x200 pixel display. It also included a game called Piranha that was a lot more interesting. Both were very well written in regard to the dynamics of the game.

I'm not sure if its the "Space Invaders" game you're referring to, as I wasn't into the Arcade Games back then.

Description: You control an armed rocket shaped rather like a barbed-arrowhead. In the center of the screen is a small gravitational body with field strength based upon distance. Each ballistic weapon shot from the rocket's rapid fire series is affected realistically by the gravitational field, creating trajectory arcs and even orbits or wraps around the body.

Likewise the rocket is pulled and has to be controlled to avoid the central gravitational body, while rotating to fire at targets; I don't recall if the targets were ships or asteroids.

I could appreciate that the motion dynamics were well done, but I found them mostly overwhelming, using the keyboard for all the thruster and weapon controls. I seldom played it and seldom used the cassette tapes which I found more trouble than they were worth. I got a NorthStar floppy system as soon as tuition left me some spare change.

The second game on the cassette tape, "Piranha," was a simpler game to play, the goal was to swim back and forth across a swimming pool (being only safe touching the left or right side), while obviously avoiding the swimming piranha that randomly appeared int the pool with random characteristics with regard to hunger/interest, direction, and capable speed. As the game progressed, it obviously got more and more challenging.

The behavior of the game intrigued me so I dissected the loaded binary code and found my first example of object oriented code. The life of each piranha active on the playing field was characterized in individual object blocks appearing and disappearing in a linked list. Each object had about 7 or so randomly created characteristics that governed its behavior during its life on the playing field.

I remember this game as it was the first piece of coding that really impressed me. About 15 years later, I saw a lot of this sort of construct in Law & Kelton's textbook on Simulation.

JDallas
On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 8:33:16 AM UTC-8, Jay_in_Dallas wrote:
> I'm not sure if its the "Space Invaders" game you're referring to, as I
> wasn't into the Arcade Games back then.

> barbed-arrowhead. In the center of the screen is a small gravitational
> body with field strength based upon distance. Each ballistic weapon shot
> from the rocket's rapid fire series is affected realistically by the
> gravitational field, creating trajectory arcs and even orbits or wraps
> around the body.
>
> Likewise the rocket is pulled and has to be controlled to avoid the
> central gravitational body, while rotating to fire at targets; I don't
> recall if the targets were ships or asteroids.

That sounds more like Spacewar than Space Invaders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacewar!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Invaders

--
roger ivie
roger.ivie@gmail.com
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016, roger.ivie@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 8:33:16 AM UTC-8, Jay_in_Dallas wrote:
>> I'm not sure if its the "Space Invaders" game you're referring to, as I
>> wasn't into the Arcade Games back then.

>> barbed-arrowhead. In the center of the screen is a small gravitational
>> body with field strength based upon distance. Each ballistic weapon shot
>> from the rocket's rapid fire series is affected realistically by the
>> gravitational field, creating trajectory arcs and even orbits or wraps
>> around the body.
>>
>> Likewise the rocket is pulled and has to be controlled to avoid the
>> central gravitational body, while rotating to fire at targets; I don't
>> recall if the targets were ships or asteroids.
>
> That sounds more like Spacewar than Space Invaders.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacewar!
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Invaders

Yeah, that's nothing like Space Invaders.  Space Invaders is you've got a
cannon that goes back and forth across the ground, under four shields, and
you fire the cannon at waves of aliens moving back and forth and
occasionally hurling bolts at you.

That said, Space Invaders itself was based on an 8080 CPU and a simple
monochrome bitmap display.  I can't imagine it wasn't a popular choice for
porting to 8080 kits. ;)

-uso.
0
Steve
11/19/2016 7:51:00 PM
On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 8:51:01 PM UTC+1, Steve Nickolas wrote:

> That said, Space Invaders itself was based on an 8080 CPU and a simple
> monochrome bitmap display.  I can't imagine it wasn't a popular choice for
> porting to 8080 kits. ;)

Still is, there are plenty emulations using a 8080 core, some RAM and the
original ROM image from the arcade machine.
0
Udo
11/19/2016 8:08:05 PM
On 20/11/2016 7:08 AM, Udo Munk wrote:
> On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 8:51:01 PM UTC+1, Steve Nickolas wrote:
>
>> That said, Space Invaders itself was based on an 8080 CPU and a simple
>> monochrome bitmap display.  I can't imagine it wasn't a popular choice for
>> porting to 8080 kits. ;)
>
> Still is, there are plenty emulations using a 8080 core, some RAM and the
> original ROM image from the arcade machine.

A graphical version was released in 1982 for the Z80 Microbee, see
http://www.microbee-mspp.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1942
0
Alan
11/19/2016 10:02:17 PM
Correct! My Merlin game fits the Space Wars wikipage description, not Space Invaders.

I played Space Invaders years later on an Atari 2600. It seems that Space Invaders is the arcade game commonly seen in movies from or depicting that era; that and probably Centipede.

The Merlin version of Space Wars was well done and fast on my Cromemco ZPU at 4Mhz, but even with the Merlin "Super Dense Graphics" daughter card option, 320x200 pixels (or so) still felt too crowded, and therefore, intense. A bigger pixel field, like some shown on the wikipage, would have been much better.

Might be wise to capture that Merlin cassette audio into a PC too. Hmm, even the Atari 2600 game cartridge's should probably be downloaded with an Arduino interface. I realize they're probably all online with an emulator, but I prefer doing my own projects. I guess I still have that original Hobbyist Computer spirit of individual effort. ;)

Interestingly, we've come from 3 Merlin users in our snail mail User's Group circa 1978+, to the immediate, deep records of Today's internet, making duplicated effort generally unnecessary. As I recall, our Merlin group was me, a guy in Canada with the same name as a TV Journalist at that time, and an engineer at Compu-Talker that finished SARGON with an assembler before I finished it without an assembler. ;)

JDallas