Superbrain 40 Track Disks?

I have a Superbrain QD that handles 35 track floppies with no problem. I re=
placed drive B with an IBM 360Kb 40 track drive and on the Superbrain syste=
m floppy there's a program that looks like it should be able to format 40 t=
racks. When I try it on the IBM drive, it formats to track 35 then starts g=
etting errors. I know the drive is 40 track capable. Is there a way to use =
all 40 tracks? Also, the IBM branded drive works but the motor spins consta=
ntly and there are no settable jumpers that I can see that might control th=
at. Does anyone know how I can have it work like the original and just spin=
 when it gets a read/write signal?

Thanks for any help!

Tom L
0
Tom
9/21/2016 8:24:44 AM
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 4:24:48 AM UTC-4, Tom Lake wrote:
> I have a Superbrain QD that handles 35 track floppies with no problem. I =
replaced drive B with an IBM 360Kb 40 track drive and on the Superbrain sys=
tem floppy there's a program that looks like it should be able to format 40=
 tracks. When I try it on the IBM drive, it formats to track 35 then starts=
 getting errors. I know the drive is 40 track capable. Is there a way to us=
e all 40 tracks? Also, the IBM branded drive works but the motor spins cons=
tantly and there are no settable jumpers that I can see that might control =
that. Does anyone know how I can have it work like the original and just sp=
in when it gets a read/write signal?
>=20
> Thanks for any help!
>=20
> Tom L

OK, after I posted this, I found out that I'd need to flash a new EPROM to =
use more than 35 tracks. I won't be doing that so using 40 tracks is out. I=
'd still like to know if it's possible to modify the IBM drive to only run =
the motor when it's being accessed, though.

Tom L
0
Tom
9/21/2016 2:13:08 PM
Re: IBM 360Kb 40 track drive...
If a Superbrain user knows the answer, you'll get a reply quickly.

Otherwise you need the manual to find the configuration options. There are many places on the internet to find floppy drive manuals, but a more specify part number would improve the chances of a search succeeding.

Jay_in_Dallas
> Also, the IBM branded drive works but the motor
> spins constantly and there are no settable jumpers
> that I can see that might control that. Does anyone
> know how I can have it work like the original and just
> spin when it gets a read/write signal?

This URL lightly describes the IBM 40 track, double sided floppy drive in the IBM 5160 XT.

http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/IBM/5160%20XT/IBM%20XT%20Double%20Sided%20Diskette%20Drive.pdf

You'll have to confirm if this matches your floppy drive model. If not, try some of the other IBM directories at the URL and find the right one.

The document doesn't show option jumper settings, the last page has a schematic with some jumpers, so if you find a better copy of the schematics you may find what you can jumper.

I zoomed in 5x on schematics and only saw one jumper on the MOTOR-ON signal. If you Superbrain supports the MOTOR-ON signal (this pin number is in the document) than you may only need a ROM that supports it.

If you have to patch some code or a BIOS equivalent to add the Motor-On feature to the SuperBrain, the document at the URL lists the minimum time from turning on the motor until you can do any read or write operations.

-JDallas
> ..I'd still like to know if it's possible to modify the IBM drive to only run the motor when it's being accessed, though.

No need to modify the drive.
All floppy drives are very simple in design.
When the computer sends/writes a "MOTOR ON" to the drive, the motor
starts running and will do so until the computer sends/writes a "MOTOR OFF".
The commands are controlled by the software on the computer, i.e. the
disk operating system.
What happens is basically that a current is sent on a specific wire on
the multicable connecting the drive to the PC.

However, on older drives the connections may not be the same, and you
need to do some shuffling on the multicable.
As an example, when i attached a second 3.5" drive to my Amstrad 6128, i
had to make some fiddling with the multi cable.

Ill give you a link that adresses this problem, even though it is not
specifically referring to the Superbrain.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Guide_on_how_to_connect_a_3.5%22_drive_to_a_CPC6128/664

Regards, cep

0
snurrberget
9/25/2016 5:41:45 AM
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:24:44 -0700 (PDT), Tom Lake
<tomlake07@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a Superbrain QD that handles 35 track floppies with no problem.
> I replaced drive B with an IBM 360Kb 40 track drive and on the Superbrain system floppy
> there's a program that looks like it should be able to format 40 tracks.
> When I try it on the IBM drive, it formats to track 35 then starts getting errors.
> I know the drive is 40 track capable. Is there a way to use all 40 tracks?
> Also, the IBM branded drive works but the motor spins constantly and
> there are no settable jumpers that I can see that might control that.

Anything at this link that might be of use?

http://nfggames.com/x68000/Documentation/Floppy%20Drives/Shugart/

Most IBM ''branded'' drives I saw were Tandons, I think.

Bill
0
Bill
9/25/2016 1:29:42 PM
On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 08:29:42 -0500, Bill <bill@sunsouthwest.com>
wrote:

>Most IBM ''branded'' drives I saw were Tandons, I think.

Maybe some shugarts, too.

BTW, the link was posted by ''G.Beat'' on 08/31

Bill
0
Bill