f



Tantalum capacitors?

Got sidetracked into restoring an old piece of gear.

Someplace,I have a couple of those cabinets with little
plastic drawers of these things. But, I can't find them.

I need a 470uF 10Volt hermetic sealed (Kemet? Sprague?)
size ''C'' tantulum capacitor. Ought to cost maybe $4-$5 but
either eBayers want to sell twenty bucks worth, or just
want way too much for only one.

I found my ''A'' sized stash, so if anybody wants/needs
some 4.7uF 10V, there I can fix you up. Good for by-pass
on memory boards - reduced noise compared to aluminums.

Not sure where the bad rep for tantalums comes from.

As long as you never reverse polarity, nor exceed the
rated voltage (de-rated for temp!)  AND watch out for
high in-rush current (due to very low ESR) they seem
to last forever.

But this time, probably was a ''low bid bargain'', every
one reported from the field has leaked and corroded.

Just thought I'd ask

Bill
0
Bill
10/21/2016 4:31:26 PM
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

5 Replies
263 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 22

On 10/21/2016 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:

> Not sure where the bad rep for tantalums comes from.
>
> As long as you never reverse polarity, nor exceed the
> rated voltage (de-rated for temp!)  AND watch out for
> high in-rush current (due to very low ESR) they seem
> to last forever.

It may come from those of us who've spent hours on the bench replacing dozens 
of failed tantalum caps on 70s vintage audio equipment.  Once they get to a 
"certain age" it's a matter of _when_ they fail - not _if_ they fail.



0
Steven
10/22/2016 1:57:30 PM
Steven Hirsch wrote:
> On 10/21/2016 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:
>
> > Not sure where the bad rep for tantalums comes from.
> >
> > As long as you never reverse polarity, nor exceed the
> > rated voltage (de-rated for temp!)  AND watch out for
> > high in-rush current (due to very low ESR) they seem
> > to last forever.
>
> It may come from those of us who've spent hours on the bench replacing dozens
> of failed tantalum caps on 70s vintage audio equipment.  Once they get to a
> "certain age" it's a matter of _when_ they fail - not _if_ they fail.

Just the mention of their name has brought back bad memories!
Apply a little too much voltage and **bang**.



0
Ed
10/24/2016 1:01:01 AM
Just to be clear, there are NO aluminum electrolyticsOn Mon, 24 Oct
2016 13:13:29 +1000, "Ed" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote:

>Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> On 10/21/2016 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:
>>
>> > Not sure where the bad rep for tantalums comes from.
>> >
>> > As long as you never reverse polarity, nor exceed the
>> > rated voltage (de-rated for temp!)  AND watch out for
>> > high in-rush current (due to very low ESR) they seem
>> > to last forever.
>>
>> It may come from those of us who've spent hours on the bench replacing dozens
>> of failed tantalum caps on 70s vintage audio equipment.  Once they get to a
>> "certain age" it's a matter of _when_ they fail - not _if_ they fail.
>
>Just the mention of their name has brought back bad memories!
>Apply a little too much voltage and **bang**.
>

Just to be clear, you won't find ANY aluminum electrolytics in this
book:  https://nepp.nasa.gov/files/21522/MIL-HDBK-978B.pdf

Doing a proper design job isn't always rocket science, but knowing how
to apply some of the things they learned wouldn't hurt.

Thanks to many years of these programs, there are lots of surplus
parts to be found, many times very inexpensively. That's why I look
for them, and use them whenever I can.

Bill
0
Bill
10/25/2016 5:24:27 AM
Bill <bill@sunsouthwest.com> wrote:
> Just to be clear, there are NO aluminum electrolyticsOn Mon, 24 Oct
> 2016 13:13:29 +1000, "Ed" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote:

>>Steven Hirsch wrote:
>>> On 10/21/2016 12:31 PM, Bill wrote:
>>>
>>> > Not sure where the bad rep for tantalums comes from.
>>> >
>>> > As long as you never reverse polarity, nor exceed the
>>> > rated voltage (de-rated for temp!)  AND watch out for
>>> > high in-rush current (due to very low ESR) they seem
>>> > to last forever.
>>>
>>> It may come from those of us who've spent hours on the bench replacing dozens
>>> of failed tantalum caps on 70s vintage audio equipment.  Once they get to a
>>> "certain age" it's a matter of _when_ they fail - not _if_ they fail.
>>
>>Just the mention of their name has brought back bad memories!
>>Apply a little too much voltage and **bang**.
>>

> Just to be clear, you won't find ANY aluminum electrolytics in this
> book:  https://nepp.nasa.gov/files/21522/MIL-HDBK-978B.pdf

> Doing a proper design job isn't always rocket science, but knowing how
> to apply some of the things they learned wouldn't hurt.

> Thanks to many years of these programs, there are lots of surplus
> parts to be found, many times very inexpensively. That's why I look
> for them, and use them whenever I can.

> Bill

Bad certificate

-- 
David Griffith
davidmylastname@acm.org   <--- Put my last name where it belongs
0
davidmylastname
10/25/2016 7:08:14 AM
On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 07:08:14 +0000, David Griffith wrote:

> Bill <bill@sunsouthwest.com> wrote:

====snip====

>> Just to be clear, you won't find ANY aluminum electrolytics in this
>> book:  https://nepp.nasa.gov/files/21522/MIL-HDBK-978B.pdf
> 
>> Doing a proper design job isn't always rocket science, but knowing how
>> to apply some of the things they learned wouldn't hurt.
> 
>> Thanks to many years of these programs, there are lots of surplus parts
>> to be found, many times very inexpensively. That's why I look for them,
>> and use them whenever I can.
> 
>> Bill
> 
> Bad certificate

 Yeah, Bad, bad, bad certificate... down boy!

-- 
Johnny B Good
0
Johnny
10/25/2016 3:07:06 PM
Reply: