Using DOSBox to run CP/M-86 on modern hardware

Hi.
I haven't posted here for a while, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else is
doing this. I downloaded DOSBox to run old games on my XP box, the discovered
that it can boot other operating systems from disk images. I decided to try
booting CP/M-86 v. 1.1 and it worked. I have a screenshot posted at:

http://www.skypoint.com/members/ande1054/dos-box-144cpm86a.jpg

DOSBox can map serial port 0 to a tcp port so I can communicate with other
computers on my LAN. File transfers are possible, but unreliable. I have been
able to send uuencoded files by dumping them to the screen in my telnet
terminal prog, and capturing them on the CP/M-86 side, using the Modem9 text
capture feature.
My XP box doesn't have any serial ports, so I think I'm going to have to get a
USB to serial adapter, and try connecting directly to my old 386 that has a
CP/M-86 partition on it, and see if Move-IT will work.

Anyway, it's kind of fun to experiment with.

Tom Anderson

comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Dec 24, 12:13=A0pm, ande1054-remo...@mirage.skypoint.com (Tom
Anderson) wrote:
> Hi.
......  *snip*
> My XP box doesn't have any serial ports, so I think I'm going to have to =
get a
> USB to serial adapter, and try connecting directly to my old 386 that has=
> CP/M-86 partition on it, and see if Move-IT will work.
>
> Anyway, it's kind of fun to experiment with.
>
> Tom Anderson

Hi Tom --

Deal Extreme sells a USB to serial adapter for a few bucks that works
pretty well.  Most of my old, and new, CP/M boxes use a serial port as
the console, and when I upgraded to a new desktop system ... SURPRISE
-- no legacy type serial ports.  I'm a Linux user (primarily), so I
was worried about these things working with it.  Hah!  Worked like a
charm.  As soon as I plugged it in, /dev/ttyUSB0 got created, and that
was the device to use with the terminal emulator (minicom).  Get on
www.DealExtreme.com and search for "USB to serial adapter".  I don't
have any part numbers, but it has a bluish-green plastic shell with
USB at one end and DB-9 at the other.  It costs $4 or something like
that.  For the Micro$lop users out there, they supply a set of drivers
on a micro-CD.  Very cool!

BTW, I have no connection to Deal Extreme other than being a satisfied
customer.

Roger
0
s100guy
12/27/2009 12:46:06 AM
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:46:06 -0800 (PST), s100guy
<rzh_nocal@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Dec 24, 12:13�pm, ande1054-remo...@mirage.skypoint.com (Tom
>Anderson) wrote:
>> Hi.
>.....  *snip*
>> My XP box doesn't have any serial ports, so I think I'm going to have to get a
>> USB to serial adapter, and try connecting directly to my old 386 that has a
>> CP/M-86 partition on it, and see if Move-IT will work.
>>
>> Anyway, it's kind of fun to experiment with.
>>
>> Tom Anderson

Despite the following response you do have a problem.
CP/M-86 as suppled has no USB driver in the BIOS.  It could
be added but it takes a bit of code to do it.  So out of the box
CP/M-86 requires an actual serial port.

I keep older boxes for that reason as the newest and faster
often has none of the legacy IO I need.

Allison

>Hi Tom --
>
>Deal Extreme sells a USB to serial adapter for a few bucks that works
>pretty well.  Most of my old, and new, CP/M boxes use a serial port as
>the console, and when I upgraded to a new desktop system ... SURPRISE
>-- no legacy type serial ports.  I'm a Linux user (primarily), so I
>was worried about these things working with it.  Hah!  Worked like a
>charm.  As soon as I plugged it in, /dev/ttyUSB0 got created, and that
>was the device to use with the terminal emulator (minicom).  Get on
>www.DealExtreme.com and search for "USB to serial adapter".  I don't
>have any part numbers, but it has a bluish-green plastic shell with
>USB at one end and DB-9 at the other.  It costs $4 or something like
>that.  For the Micro$lop users out there, they supply a set of drivers
>on a micro-CD.  Very cool!
>
>BTW, I have no connection to Deal Extreme other than being a satisfied
>customer.
>
>Roger

0
Allison
12/27/2009 1:50:25 PM
On Dec 27, 8:51=A0am, Alli...@localhost.net wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:46:06 -0800 (PST), s100guy
>
> <rzh_no...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Dec 24, 12:13=A0pm, ande1054-remo...@mirage.skypoint.com (Tom
> >Anderson) wrote:
> >> Hi.
> >..... =A0*snip*
> >> My XP box doesn't have any serial ports, so I think I'm going to have =
to get a
> >> USB to serial adapter, and try connecting directly to my old 386 that =
has a
> >> CP/M-86 partition on it, and see if Move-IT will work.
>
> >> Anyway, it's kind of fun to experiment with.
>
> >> Tom Anderson
>
> Despite the following response you do have a problem. =A0
> CP/M-86 as suppled has no USB driver in the BIOS. =A0It could
> be added but it takes a bit of code to do it. =A0So out of the box
> CP/M-86 requires an actual serial port.
>
> I keep older boxes for that reason as the newest and faster
> often has none of the legacy IO I need.
>
> Allison
>
> >Hi Tom --
>
> >Deal Extreme sells a USB to serial adapter for a few bucks that works
> >pretty well. =A0Most of my old, and new, CP/M boxes use a serial port as
> >the console, and when I upgraded to a new desktop system ... SURPRISE
> >-- no legacy type serial ports. =A0I'm a Linux user (primarily), so I
> >was worried about these things working with it. =A0Hah! =A0Worked like a
> >charm. =A0As soon as I plugged it in, /dev/ttyUSB0 got created, and that
> >was the device to use with the terminal emulator (minicom). =A0Get on
> >www.DealExtreme.comand search for "USB to serial adapter". =A0I don't
> >have any part numbers, but it has a bluish-green plastic shell with
> >USB at one end and DB-9 at the other. =A0It costs $4 or something like
> >that. =A0For the Micro$lop users out there, they supply a set of drivers
> >on a micro-CD. =A0Very cool!
>
> >BTW, I have no connection to Deal Extreme other than being a satisfied
> >customer.
>
> >Roger

He might not have a problem; I had an issue where TeraTerm wouldn't
use
com ports above com4, but my USB-to-serial adapter showed as com5.
The prolific driver allowed me to re-map it's com number to 2, which
had no physical counterpart on my box.

So, what does have to with the price of silicon in Chiba? IFF the DOS
sandbox and/or HAL provided by XP properly abstracts the com port,
CP/M-86 may believe that it is in fact dealing with a serial port.
I don't believe TeraTerm noticed the difference.

It will be interesting to see what happens...

TTFN,
  Tarkin
0
Tarkin
12/29/2009 7:23:12 AM
"Tom Anderson" <ande1054-remove-@mirage.skypoint.com> wrote in message
> I have a screenshot posted at:
>
> http://www.skypoint.com/members/ande1054/dos-box-144cpm86a.jpg

Nice to see my 1.44 MB software for CP/M-86 working in this Dosbox
environment!

I'll try to find some time to test it myself. Lately, I haven't been too
succesful in running the real CP/M-86 on a recent multicore pentium machine.
I prefer running CP/M-86 natively, but maybe I should switch to this Dosbox
program.

Have fun,
Freek.

0
Freek
12/29/2009 10:41:15 PM
In article <lbpej5d1915mjem3geb0aq0bsvkaod3e11@4ax.com>, Allison@localhost.net
says...

>On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 16:46:06 -0800 (PST), s100guy
><rzh_nocal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 24, 12:13�pm, ande1054-remo...@mirage.skypoint.com (Tom
>>Anderson) wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>.....  *snip*
>>> My XP box doesn't have any serial ports, so I think I'm going to have to
ge
>t a
>>> USB to serial adapter, and try connecting directly to my old 386 that has
>>> CP/M-86 partition on it, and see if Move-IT will work.
>>>
>>> Anyway, it's kind of fun to experiment with.
>>>
>>> Tom Anderson
>>

>Despite the following response you do have a problem.
>CP/M-86 as suppled has no USB driver in the BIOS.  It could
>be added but it takes a bit of code to do it.  So out of the box
>CP/M-86 requires an actual serial port.
>
>I keep older boxes for that reason as the newest and faster
>often has none of the legacy IO I need.
>
>Allison

I probably wasn't clear on the serial port issue. DOSBox takes care of all
that. CP/M-86 thinks it's running on a real 486 with real serial ports, even
though my XP box has no real serial ports. DOSBox redirects the serial output
to TCP port 23. I can communicate with a telnet server on another computer on
my LAN. Over the holiday break, I put a copy of Telix, (an old DOS comm prog)
on my WIN98 box. Telix can use a fossil driver (RLFossil.exe) to redirect the
serial output of the comm program to a TCP port (23). Now the Win98 box booted
to real DOS, and running Telix, can talk to the XP machine, which is running
DOSBox booted to CP/M-86. I can transfer files between the two by uuencoding
them and doing an ASCII upload from Telix, and using "PIP filename.typ=AXI:"
on the CP/M side. For some reason, Xmodem transfers using modem9.cmd don't
work.
I haven't tried it yet, but I think that a USB to serial adapter would allow
me to connect to my old Everex 386 through a null modem cable.
One advantage to all this is that I can boot a CP/M-86 disk image, transfer
files to the image, write the image to a floppy, and boot a real computer with
the floppy. Another advantage is that I can use CP/M-86 without dragging out
the old hardware. The main point of it all, however, was just to see if it
could be done. :)

Tom Anderson

0
ande1054
1/5/2010 6:42:13 AM
In article <4b3a860a$0$22938$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, me@privacy.net says...

>"Tom Anderson" <ande1054-remove-@mirage.skypoint.com> wrote in message
>> I have a screenshot posted at:
>>
>> http://www.skypoint.com/members/ande1054/dos-box-144cpm86a.jpg
>>

>Nice to see my 1.44 MB software for CP/M-86 working in this Dosbox
>environment!
>
>I'll try to find some time to test it myself. Lately, I haven't been too
>succesful in running the real CP/M-86 on a recent multicore pentium machine.
>I prefer running CP/M-86 natively, but maybe I should switch to this Dosbox
>program.
>
>Have fun,
>Freek.

I am having fun. :) The 1.44 MB software is a great thing to have. Those 320
KB disks don't hold much.

Thank You.

Tom Anderson

0
ande1054
1/5/2010 6:46:39 AM
Tom Anderson wrote:
> I probably wasn't clear on the serial port issue. DOSBox takes care of all

> that. CP/M-86 thinks it's running on a real 486 with real serial ports,
> even
> though my XP box has no real serial ports. DOSBox redirects the serial
> output
> to TCP port 23. I can communicate with a telnet server on another computer
> on
> my LAN. Over the holiday break, I put a copy of Telix, (an old DOS comm
> prog)
> on my WIN98 box. Telix can use a fossil driver (RLFossil.exe) to redirect
> the
> serial output of the comm program to a TCP port (23). Now the Win98 box
> booted
> to real DOS, and running Telix, can talk to the XP machine, which is
> running
> DOSBox booted to CP/M-86. I can transfer files between the two by
> uuencoding
> them and doing an ASCII upload from Telix, and using "PIP
> filename.typ=AXI:"
> on the CP/M side. For some reason, Xmodem transfers using modem9.cmd don't

> work.
> I haven't tried it yet, but I think that a USB to serial adapter would
> allow
> me to connect to my old Everex 386 through a null modem cable.
> One advantage to all this is that I can boot a CP/M-86 disk image,
transfer

> files to the image, write the image to a floppy, and boot a real computer
> with
> the floppy. Another advantage is that I can use CP/M-86 without dragging
> out
> the old hardware. The main point of it all, however, was just to see if it

> could be done. :)
>
> Tom Anderson

It's good that DOSBOX can succeed where QEMU fails, e.g., DOSPLUS (including
the John Elliott tweaks) fails horribly on qemu, but it works gread on
DOSBOX, and that snags you DOS compatibility *and* CP/M-86.

I wonder why it fails on qemu, though.

-uso.
0
lyricalnanoha
1/31/2010 1:32:40 AM
On 1=E6=9C=8831=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8A=E5=8D=889=E6=99=8232=E5=88=86, lyricaln=
an...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve Nickolas) wrote:
> Tom Anderson wrote:
> > I probably wasn't clear on the serial port issue. DOSBox takes care of =
all
> > that. CP/M-86 thinks it's running on a real 486 with real serial ports,
> > even
> > though my XP box has no real serial ports. DOSBox redirects the serial
> > output
> > to TCP port 23. I can communicate with a telnet server on another compu=
ter
> > on
> > my LAN. Over the holiday break, I put a copy of Telix, (an old DOS comm
> > prog)
> > on my WIN98 box. Telix can use a fossil driver (RLFossil.exe) to redire=
ct
> > the
> > serial output of the comm program to a TCP port (23). Now the Win98 box
> > booted
> > to real DOS, and running Telix, can talk to the XP machine, which is
> > running
> > DOSBox booted to CP/M-86. I can transfer files between the two by
> > uuencoding
> > them and doing an ASCII upload from Telix, and using "PIP
> > filename.typ=3DAXI:"
> > on the CP/M side. For some reason, Xmodem transfers using modem9.cmd do=
n't
> > work.
> > I haven't tried it yet, but I think that a USB to serial adapter would
> > allow
> > me to connect to my old Everex 386 through a null modem cable.
> > One advantage to all this is that I can boot a CP/M-86 disk image,
> transfer
>
> > files to the image, write the image to a floppy, and boot a real comput=
er
> > with
> > the floppy. Another advantage is that I can use CP/M-86 without draggin=
> > out
> > the old hardware. The main point of it all, however, was just to see if=
 it
> > could be done. :)
>
> > Tom Anderson
>
> It's good that DOSBOX can succeed where QEMU fails, e.g., DOSPLUS (includ=
ing
> the John Elliott tweaks) fails horribly on qemu, but it works gread on
> DOSBOX, and that snags you DOS compatibility *and* CP/M-86.
>
> I wonder why it fails on qemu, though.
>
> -uso.

QEMU will check 55AA signature in 0x1FE-0x1FF. You can use -no-fd-
bootchk to disable checking of 55AA signature.
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9176/cpm8611qemu.png
0
roytam (14)
2/22/2010 5:42:07 AM
Roy wrote:
> On 1月31日, 上午9時32分, lyricalnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve
Nickolas)
> wrote:
>> It's good that DOSBOX can succeed where QEMU fails, e.g., DOSPLUS
>> (including
>> the John Elliott tweaks) fails horribly on qemu, but it works gread on
>> DOSBOX, and that snags you DOS compatibility *and* CP/M-86.
>>
>> I wonder why it fails on qemu, though.
>>
>> -uso.
>
> QEMU will check 55AA signature in 0x1FE-0x1FF. You can use -no-fd-
> bootchk to disable checking of 55AA signature.
> http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9176/cpm8611qemu.png

I'm not talking about that.

It loads the kernel, the kernel starts, and then it just says "Not ready
reading drive A:, Abort/Retry?"

-uso.
On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=882=E6=99=8221=E5=88=86, lyricaln=
an...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve Nickolas) wrote:
> Roy wrote:
> > On 1=E6=9C=8831=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8A=E5=8D=889=E6=99=8232=E5=88=86, lyri=
calnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve
> Nickolas)
> > wrote:
> >> It's good that DOSBOX can succeed where QEMU fails, e.g., DOSPLUS
> >> (including
> >> the John Elliott tweaks) fails horribly on qemu, but it works gread on
> >> DOSBOX, and that snags you DOS compatibility *and* CP/M-86.
>
> >> I wonder why it fails on qemu, though.
>
> >> -uso.
>
> > QEMU will check 55AA signature in 0x1FE-0x1FF. You can use -no-fd-
> > bootchk to disable checking of 55AA signature.
> >http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9176/cpm8611qemu.png
>
> I'm not talking about that.
>
> It loads the kernel, the kernel starts, and then it just says "Not ready
> reading drive A:, Abort/Retry?"
>
> -uso.

Where did you get the disk image?
And which version of QEMU did you use?

I use QEMU 0.12.2 and 144cpm86.zip from gaby.de.
programs with screen control codes freezes in older versions(<0.12) of
QEMU but it will boot and go to prompt and DIR/DDT86/PIP will work.

Roy
0
roytam (14)
2/22/2010 9:18:37 AM
Roy wrote:
> Where did you get the disk image?
> And which version of QEMU did you use?

It's John Elliott's patched XIOS (but CDOS386 fails the same way).  Up to
0.11.91.

-uso.
On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=889=E6=99=8238=E5=88=86, lyricaln=
an...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve Nickolas) wrote:
> Roy wrote:
> > Where did you get the disk image?
> > And which version of QEMU did you use?
>
> It's John Elliott's patched XIOS (but CDOS386 fails the same way).  Up to
> 0.11.91.
>
> -uso.

Did you use an 1228800 or 368640 bytes image to hold a 320KB image
content?
I tested cpm86-bt.zip with 320KB image and it works fine.
0
roytam (14)
2/22/2010 2:44:42 PM
Roy wrote:
> On 2月22日, 下午9時38分, lyricalnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve
Nickolas)
> wrote:
>> Roy wrote:
>> > Where did you get the disk image?
>> > And which version of QEMU did you use?
>>
>> It's John Elliott's patched XIOS (but CDOS386 fails the same way).  Up to
>> 0.11.91.
>>
>> -uso.
>
> Did you use an 1228800 or 368640 bytes image to hold a 320KB image
> content?
> I tested cpm86-bt.zip with 320KB image and it works fine.

I used a 1.44 MB image to hold a 1.44 MB image content.  It works on Bochs
and DOSBOX.

-uso.
On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=8811=E6=99=8202=E5=88=86, lyrical=
wrote:
> Roy wrote:
> > On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=889=E6=99=8238=E5=88=86, lyri=
calnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve
> Nickolas)
> > wrote:
>
> >> It's John Elliott's patched XIOS (but CDOS386 fails the same way).  Up=
> >> 0.11.91.
>
> >> -uso.
>
> > Did you use an 1228800 or 368640 bytes image to hold a 320KB image
> > content?
> > I tested cpm86-bt.zip with 320KB image and it works fine.
>
> I used a 1.44 MB image to hold a 1.44 MB image content.  It works on Boch=
> and DOSBOX.
>
> -uso.

May I have your image please?
I'd like to test with my QEMU collections.

BTW DOSBox and ScriptPC do better job for CP/M-86 family. They boot
Personal CP/M-86 2.0/2 while QEMU doesn't.

Roy
0
roytam (14)
2/22/2010 3:38:25 PM
On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=8811=E6=99=8238=E5=88=86, Roy <ro=
y...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=8811=E6=99=8202=E5=88=86, lyric=
alnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve Nickolas)
> wrote:
>

> > Roy wrote:
> > > On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=889=E6=99=8238=E5=88=86, ly=
ricalnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve
> > Nickolas)

Up to

> > > Did you use an 1228800 or 368640 bytes image to hold a 320KB image
> > > content?
> > > I tested cpm86-bt.zip with 320KB image and it works fine.
>
> > I used a 1.44 MB image to hold a 1.44 MB image content.  It works on Bo=
chs
> > and DOSBOX.
>
> > -uso.
>
> May I have your image please?
> I'd like to test with my QEMU collections.
>
> BTW DOSBox and ScriptPC do better job for CP/M-86 family. They boot
> Personal CP/M-86 2.0/2 while QEMU doesn't.
>
> Roy

I finally got that you mean is DOSPlus.
for both 1.2-je5 and 2.1-je5 won't boot on QEMU > 0.5. And QEMU 0.5
*does* boot both of them.

Roy
0
roytam (14)
2/22/2010 4:13:15 PM
On 2=E6=9C=8823=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8A=E5=8D=8812=E6=99=8213=E5=88=86, Roy <ro=
y...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=8811=E6=99=8238=E5=88=86, Roy <=
roy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=8811=E6=99=8202=E5=88=86, lyr=
icalnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve Nickolas)
> > wrote:

lyricalnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve
> > > Nickolas)

  Up to

> > > I used a 1.44 MB image to hold a 1.44 MB image content.  It works on =
Bochs
> > > and DOSBOX.
>
> > > -uso.
>
> > May I have your image please?
> > I'd like to test with my QEMU collections.
>
> > BTW DOSBox and ScriptPC do better job for CP/M-86 family. They boot
> > Personal CP/M-86 2.0/2 while QEMU doesn't.
>
> > Roy
>
> I finally got that you mean is DOSPlus.
> for both 1.2-je5 and 2.1-je5 won't boot on QEMU > 0.5. And QEMU 0.5
> *does* boot both of them.
>
> Roy

And I filed as a regression bug.
http://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-devel@nongnu.org/msg25743.html
0
roytam (14)
2/23/2010 3:35:57 AM
On 2=E6=9C=8823=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8A=E5=8D=8811=E6=99=8235=E5=88=86, Roy <ro=
y...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2=E6=9C=8823=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8A=E5=8D=8812=E6=99=8213=E5=88=86, Roy <=
roy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=8811=E6=99=8238=E5=88=86, Roy=
 <roy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=8811=E6=99=8202=E5=88=86, l=
yricalnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve Nickolas)

, lyricalnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve

> > > May I have your image please?
> > > I'd like to test with my QEMU collections.
>
> > > BTW DOSBox and ScriptPC do better job for CP/M-86 family. They boot
> > > Personal CP/M-86 2.0/2 while QEMU doesn't.
>
> > > Roy
>
> > I finally got that you mean is DOSPlus.
> > for both 1.2-je5 and 2.1-je5 won't boot on QEMU > 0.5. And QEMU 0.5
> > *does* boot both of them.
>
> > Roy
>
> And I filed as a regression bug.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/qemu-de...@nongnu.org/msg25743.html

found the root of problem.
http://marc.info/?l=3Dqemu-devel&m=3D126690673019791&w=3D2
0
roytam (14)
2/23/2010 6:34:50 AM
y...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=8811=E6=99=8202=E5=88=86, lyric=
alnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve Nickolas)
> wrote:
>

> > Roy wrote:
> > > On 2=E6=9C=8822=E6=97=A5, =E4=B8=8B=E5=8D=889=E6=99=8238=E5=88=86, ly=
ricalnan...@dosius.ath.cx (Steve
> > Nickolas)

Up to

> > > Did you use an 1228800 or 368640 bytes image to hold a 320KB image
> > > content?
> > > I tested cpm86-bt.zip with 320KB image and it works fine.
>
> > I used a 1.44 MB image to hold a 1.44 MB image content.  It works on Bo=
chs
> > and DOSBOX.
>
> > -uso.
>
> May I have your image please?
> I'd like to test with my QEMU collections.
>
> BTW DOSBox and ScriptPC do better job for CP/M-86 family. They boot
> Personal CP/M-86 2.0/2 while QEMU doesn't.
>
> Roy

for PCPM-86 2.0, QEMU < 0.10 with old Bochs BIOS (2004-07-11) boots.
0
roytam (14)

Can cp/m 86 run cp/m 80 software ??
just wondering if the cp/m for the 8086 can run software for the 8080 and z80 computers ?? On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 01:21:57 -0000, in <42cfeb58$1@news.rivernet.com.au>, "molla barzani" <bsdstar@hotmail.com> wrote: >just wondering if the cp/m for the 8086 can run software for the 8080 and >z80 computers ?? Nope. On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, molla barzani wrote: > just wondering if the cp/m for the 8086 can run software for the 8080 and > z80 computers ?? No. It is however much more trivial to code a CP/M-80 emulator for CP/M-86 (and if you're running one of ...

running CP/M-86 on qemu
Hi Has anyone had any success running CP/M-86 under QEMU? I am unable to get the boot floppy recognised as a valid boot disk. Boots fine on a *real* system.:) ...

5 1/4 Compupro boot disk for CP/M-86 and CP/M 2.2
Help, please! Anybody have a 5 1/4 boot disk for Compupro CP/M-86 and 2.2? If not, ideas on where I can get them? Thanks! Rich >Anybody have a 5 1/4 boot disk for Compupro CP/M-86 and 2.2? If not, >ideas on where I can get them? Hi Rich, I have an original 2-disk set of Compupro CP/M-86 on 8" disks. Unfortunately I don't have a 5.25" set, however is it possible to configure a dual-drive type system and make a 5.25" boot disk after booting from the 8"? I would be interested in any Compupro CP/M-86 copies you dig up, either 5.25" or 8" - I have a System with the CPU 86/87, Disk-1A, Interfacer-4 and RAM - with the boards configured exactly as described in the "how to get going in 5mins" section, the system goes through all the motions of booting (recalibrates to track-0, reads a bit, steps to track-1, reads a bit and then seeks out to the middle of the disk). As far as I can tell, it is actually booting, however I do not get any serial data activity on any of the Interfacer-4 ports. I do note that the RS-232 control signals RTS/DTR do come up at the point where the system steps out to track-1, so it would appear that something is initializing the ports. I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet, but I'd guess that either I have a problem with the Interfacer-4, or the CP/M disks that I have are configured for a non-default address (the disks didn't come from the same source as the system). It would ...

cpmtools used with a floppy disk image of CP/M-86 does not work ?!
Hi, I am not able to use cpmtools with a floppy disk image file, which can be used for VMWare or even VirtualBox. I was using this command for showing all directory entries: cpmls -f cpm86-144feat imagefile But it does not show any useful info (instead just junk). Is the existing diskdefs entry cpm86-144feat incorrect ? # CP/M 86 on 1.44MB floppies diskdef cpm86-144feat seclen 512 tracks 160 sectrk 18 blocksize 4096 maxdir 256 skew 1 boottrk 2 os 3 end Or does the existing (and working) disk image files have a wrong sector/track order ? I am totally unsure, because I even wrote a small utility to split the sector order to a different result: I expected this sector order (C=Cylinder, H=Head) in VMWare/Virtualbox disk images: C0H0 C0H1 C1H0 C1H1 C2H0 C2H1 ... up to C79H0, C79H1 The new result was C0H0 C1H0 C2H0 C3H0 C4H0 C5H0 ... up to C78H1, C79H1 But this doesn't help to get a correct cpmls result. Am I wrong and a skew is existing for CP/M-86 floppy disks ??? Regards Peter On 11.08.2012 17:07, Peter Dassow wrote: > Hi, > > I am not able to use cpmtools with a floppy disk image file, which can > be used for VMWare or even VirtualBox. > I was using this command for showing all directory entries: > cpmls -f cpm86-144feat imagefile > But it does not show any useful info (instead just junk). > [...] > I expected this sector order (C=Cylinder, H=Head) in VMWare/V...

WANTED: CBASIC-86 for CP/M-86
Is anybody out there who has a copy of CBASIC-86 v2.08 (the "pseudo" compiler version, not CB-86) for CP/M-86? (The CP/M 2.2 version is available on the Internet.) According to one book, the files are named CBASIC86.CMD CRUN86.CMD and they were available for "CP/M-86, DEC, and IBM PC"... I need them for a programming project. Yours Sincerely, "French Luser" ...

CP/M, CP/M+, PCP/M, MP/M, & Z-System
Please excuse my inexcuseable ignorance, but could someone please tell me *exactly* what CP/M+ & PCP/M do that CP/M 2.2 doesn't? I know CP/M+ can handle tons of ram, but how much, and is it really faster? Is PCP/M really just menu driven CP/M+? What does Z-System add? Is MP/M an OS by it's self, or can it be added to CP/M+ or PCP/M? Can any of these multitask? I would also like some detailed info about T/Maker III, supposedly a combination word proceccor, database & spreadsheet, and "Write Hand Man" (I may not have the name write) a set of memory resident access...

Running an OS for the sake of running the OS
One of Edwins favorite trolls is to claim that no one should run a OS as an end in itself when someone mentions that his beloved POS PC can't even run OSX. This has always amused me since the operating system very much sets the standard for every application that runs atop it. With Tiger, this has become very apparent. OS X gives the user a system wide search that searches just about everything in the computer. Any application can incorporate this into the application OS X gives every application the ability to tap into Core Audio, Core Image and Core Video. OS X gives the user powerful tools such as Automator to enhance and simplify the repetitive tasks one must do with other operating systems. OS X ships with a built in dictionary and thesaurus. OS X ships with a built in and system wide spell checker. OS X has a .Mac frameworks which means that contacts, bookmarks, calendars can be synced via .Mac with multiple computers, and third party applications can use the same functionality. OS X ships with H.264, which is a supreme video codec. Windows still can't handle mpeg4 out of the box (unless some late WMP update has changed that). And so on. These are all reasons why it's better to have OSX running under your application than having Windows. -- Sandman[.net] In article <mr-15B2D6.22175116052005@individual.net>, mr@sandman.net says... > OS X has a .Mac frameworks which means that contacts, bookmarks, calendars can > be synced ...

Cp/m 86
I have an old 286 (8mhz) IBM PC with 1mb ram and a 20mb HD that I would like to use as a CP/M system. Can I run CP/M 86 on this? If so where would I get it? The PC does not have a CD so I would have to transfer it to floppy to install it. If I can't use 86, is there a good cp/m emulator that would run on this machine? I would prefer not to use an emulator and just have the machine be a cp/m machine and not have dos on it. Bill H - www.ts1000.us Yes; the IBM-PC version of CP/M-86 should run on that machine, I think. Otherwise you would have to look for a BIOS for a PC compatbile syste...

CP/M Before CP/M 1.4
I have received 2 messages from one of my correspondents. Since they are historical, I am publishing some excerpts below. (Note: CP/M was announced to the public in 1976, in an advertisement publis= hed in "Dr. Dobb's Journal", and a demonstration made to the "Homebrew Comp= uter Club". IMSAI CP/M Version 1.33 was offered the 20 July 1977. Finally, = CP/M 1.4, the last 8" version, was released in 1978. Those were 2 hectic ye= ars. I have often wondered why nobody has thought of scanning those very fi= rst advertisements, since there are collectors of early microcomputer magaz= ines? Alas, the infamous "Erik S. Klein" does not answer my messages: yet, = he seems to have a good collection of those... What a pity!) Yours Sincerely, Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France I do remember a very few things from the very early days. CP/M 1.0 was prototypical. That is, it was never used on anything but a few= prototype 8080 machines. It was very buggy. CP/M 1.1 was basically a bug fix and was never officially released. CP/M 1.2 was again a bug fix, but was released by Gary to a few select indi= viduals as a beta. I was lucky enough to be among them. The actual version = I had was 1.21. This version was stable (sort of) but had no real BIOS asso= ciated with it. The 36 i/o steps at boot time made the computer smart enoug= h to access the paper tape reader in r/o mode only. The paper tape then loa= ded the BIOS into RAM, wh...

Any Televideo CP/M or C128 CP/M users here?
Hello! First post to this ng for me. I am a long time C= owner and have dabbled with the 128's CP/M mode in the 80's, but as a kid back then I had no exposure to any usable software for this mode. As an adult now I am revisitng it a bit. I've also bought a decent Televideo system that runs with the replacement HD I put in it, but crashes after it gets warm. I suspect I need to replace dried out capacitors. What's nice about the televideo is it came with the original manuals:-) Just curious if there are many CP/M(Z80) users here. Reading back a little bit looks like most here a...

Concurrent CP/M-86
The following URL leads to a Japanese site which has PDF's available for download of CCPM users guide, CCPM programmers guide, and CCPM system guide. http://www.d1.dion.ne.jp/~ytera/CPM86.htm Maybe someone will find them useful. TA ...

So you have CP/M running, what now?
Hi everyone, I have been loading CP/M on many different devices, from FPGA's to the emulators I wrote, and I see the Z80 as a good option of a core to embed on FPGA's and CP/M as a good option of system to act as infrastructure to microcontrollers. But what else? What other uses you guys see? What other applications are you running right now? I just ask because I am willing to do some improvements to my Arduino and FPGA implementations. Cheers, Marcelo. Implement banking so you can run CP/M 3 and MP/M and TurboDOS. Try to get FUZIX running, try to get RTOS running. Impl...

Re: Cp/m 86
On 2005-12-11 "Bill H." said: > I have an old 286 (8mhz) IBM PC with 1mb ram and a 20mb HD that I > would like to use as a CP/M system. Can I run CP/M 86 on this? Yes. >If so where would I get it? http://www.com.z80.de/download/144cpm86.zip > The PC does not have a CD so I would have to transfer it to floppy > to install it. No problem. The disk image (downloadable from the link above) is for a floppy disk. > If I can't use 86, is there a good cp/m emulator that would run on > this machine? I would prefer not to use an emul...

Hardware needed to run CPM
Just an abstract idea here so please bare with me.. What are the minimum hardware requirements to run cpm? And are they actually documented somewhere? Such as the CPU ( obviously ), RS232, memory map in addreses xyz, interrupts, etc. etc. My thought is perhaps a simple FPGA dev board could be used to recreate a suitable machine to use, on a small budget and in a small form factor. Even a '99 dollar special' should be large enough for a soft z80 and ram, and many have enough built-in ports to get by ( like vga, parallel, ps/2 ) I've been looking for a FPGA project idea, and wo...

CP/M 86 on CD?
Has anyone tried or been successful in creating an ISO image of a CP/M 86 boot floppy and then create a bootable CD from this image? Bill H On Mar 25, 5:35 am, "Bill H" <b...@ts1000.us> wrote: > Has anyone tried or been successful in creating an ISO image of a CP/M > 86 boot floppy and then create a bootable CD from this image? > > Bill H I haven't been successful... I tried a bootable 3 1/2 diskette [feat144] as a 1.44 floppy diskette emulation source, but Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 couldn't handle reading it. Apparently, trying to read it as a msDos Dis...

How do I run cp/m on windows me ?
Hi, I used to run cp/m games on an older pc. Having trackd down a dowload of cp/m games I wanted to try them out on my windows me system, for old times sake, but don't know what program/complier to use to start them. Excuse me if the answer is of the "bleeding obvious, mate" type, but I don't know how to run them. They have a .bas ending. "Anntheatrical" <alanwinter@email.com> wrote in message news:Cezrb.546$486.1249459@newsfep1-win.server.ntli.net... > Hi, > I used to run cp/m games on an older pc. Having trackd down a dowload of > cp/m games I w...

Re: I am trying to syncronize Two M series PXI 6281 boards using the PXI 1042 chasis using the Real time controller PXI8187, I could not find any exmaples whihc i could run any help
I am attempting to do essentialy the same thing.&nbsp; I would like to synchronize two 6281 that are running on a PXI-1036. I am very new to LabVIEW, and very green at creating vi's.&nbsp; If someone could give me some baby-steps to getting the two DAQ's syncrhronized to collect AI (differential) from each DAQ, that would be great! Thanks! ...

CP/M Software Library from the CP/M User Group (UK) ?
Hi all! It's the CP/M Software Library from the CP/M User Group (UK), available somewhere? Thanks. Floppy Software wrote: > Hi all! > > It's the CP/M Software Library from the CP/M User Group (UK), available somewhere? > > Thanks. Recently searched for this myself without luck. Only found catalog listings online. They had stuff that was unique such as STOIC support and programs. >>> Is the CP/M Software Library from the CP/M User Group (UK), available >>> somewhere? I once found an archive of the Dutch CP/M User Group. Se...

Inform interpreter for Z80 CP/M? (CP/M 3.0)
Is there an Inform interpreter available for CP/M 2.2 or CP/M 3.0? It would be really sweet to play .Z5 or .Z8 games on the CP/M mode of the C-128 (especially in 80 column mode). Paul In article <1120335064.819790.69100@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, <dunric@yahoo.com> wrote: >Is there an Inform interpreter available for CP/M 2.2 or CP/M 3.0? > First, there is no such thing as an "Inform interpreter." Inform is a development system for generating binaries for the Z-machine. If you want to run those binaries, you need an implementation of the Z-machine. Suc...

Why use DOSBox on OS/2::eCS?
I see that someone/someseveral is/are working to perfect DOSBox for OS/2, which is kind of them but leaves me puzzled. OS/2 is already well equipped to handle DOS applications. So is DOSBox more than an intellectual exercise or does it fill a real need? -- Andrew Stephenson > So is DOSBox more than an intellectual exercise or does it > fill a real need? All of the above! :-) Users of OS/2 may have an excellent DOS compatibility. Nevertheless some apps won't work, we may want to remain compatible with other OS'es, and the state of DOS is frozen compared to modern pc's. For example, OS/2 has no setting to override the free MB's of harddisk space, while a DOS app may fail to install because it exceeds 1 GB or a single data file exceeds 2 GB (*). Or you may want to set the date to <Y2K without having to patch a lot of apps, and so on. I'm not desperately waiting for DOSBox/2, but I can image there's a need for it, albeit OS/2's DOS support isn't that bad compared to other OS'es. And it may provide a few bells&whistles, e.g. AVI capturing without having to resort to a working DOS TSR solution. --- In article <Xns98E3C579E8DD681911@194.109.133.242> spamgate@hotmai1.com "ML" writes: > > So is DOSBox more than an intellectual exercise or does it > > fill a real need? > > All of the above! :-) > > [...] Thanks for the explanation. I can see how such extra fine tuning of the ...

CP/M-86 for IBM PC
I have a really perfect early issue of an IBM-PC with monitor (like 10 million other people), with all the industrially-bound books, etc. But my dad didn't use CP/M, but MSDOS. Can anyone point me to where I might find the CP/M system on floppy for this thing? I've looked around, ebay, blah blah, but can't seem to find one. Surely someone sells old copies of this? Tnx, H Heyu wrote: > I have a really perfect early issue of an IBM-PC with monitor (like 10 > million other people), with all the industrially-bound books, etc. > > But my dad didn't use CP/M,...

CP/M-86 floppy image
Hallo, I have a 3,5 inch 1,4mb floppy that I use to boot my PC into CP/M-86 for the IBM PC and IBM PC XT Version 1.1 It uses the brilliant drivers made by Freek Heite. I like to put an image of this disk on my website. Until now I have not found a program that is able to make an image of this floppy. Help is greatly appreciated. Henk Siewert On 11/08/2011 11:46 AM, Henk Siewert wrote: > Hallo, > I have a 3,5 inch 1,4mb floppy that I use to boot my PC into CP/M-86 for the > IBM PC and IBM PC XT Version 1.1 > It uses the brilliant drivers made by Freek Heite. > I like to put ...

ame86 emulator for cp/m-86
I've found the source of the emulator and make some changes. The emulator was for a dec rainbow and won't run on pc's. In the moment only a few programs run. You can find it here: http://www.rwilcken.de/cpm/ame86.zip Please have a look at the 'readme' Your comments are welcome. r�diger ruediger wrote: > I've found the source of the emulator and make some changes. The > emulator was for a dec rainbow and won't run on pc's. In the moment > only a few programs run. > > You can find it here: http://www.rwilcken.de/cpm/ame86.zip > > Pl...

FA: CP/M 86 Guide
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5858933665 ...

Web resources about - Using DOSBox to run CP/M-86 on modern hardware - comp.os.cpm

Simmons Hardware Company Warehouse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
42°29′35″N 96°24′34″W  /  42.49306°N 96.40944°W  / 42.49306; -96.40944 Coordinates : 42°29′35″N 96°24′34″W  /  42.49306°N 96.40944°W  / ...

Bunnings could be set to face a new force in hardware
... Dick Smith into a $520 million sharemarket sensation is hatching a plan to bring together Australia's two biggest, independent hardware chains ...

Bunnings could be set to face a new force in hardware
... Smith into a $520 million sharemarket sensation is hatching a plan to bring together Australia's two biggest, independent hardware chains to ...

Building a (sub-$1000) Hackintosh that meets the Oculus Rift hardware requirements – Part I
Back at the beginning of March, Oculus CEO Palmer Luckey made controversial statements about Apple’s hardware, specifically the inability of ...

Ace Hardware Debuts First Work from O'Keefe Reinhard & Paul
The new campaign features its friendly, stick-in-your-head jingle "Ace is the place with the helpful hardware folks," and includes real Ace store ...

DARPA to host killer “Improv” performances with hacked hardware
... Defense Science Office is preparing for an alternative sort of "improv" performance. DARPA is inviting researchers, developers, and hardware-hacking ...

Xbox One hardware upgrades could extend the life of Microsoft’s console
For decades, the video game console has been a transient purchase. From the moment you set up an Atari or an NES or a PlayStation in your living ...

Why hardware vendors need to sell Google and Facebook lousier products if they want to survive
Last month, Google's VP of Infrastructure made an unusual request to computer hardware manufacturers: build hard drives that are less reliable. ...

How to use Apple Diagnostics to identify Mac hardware problems
... are usually pretty reliable, but when they do go wrong the Apple Diagnostics tool should help you figure out if you have a software or a hardware ...

Xbox One could be getting hardware upgrades
... Showcase and the head of Xbox, Phil Spencer, dropped some hints about the Xbox One's future. "You'll actually see us come out with new hardware ...