WANTED: CBASIC Compiler Version 1.4

The Visual 1050 was provided with CBASIC Version 2.8, which is the
well-known "pseudo-compiler", or "p-Code compiler", version.

On the Internet, I could find its "real compiler" successor, CBASIC
Compiler, Version 1.3:

CB80 Version 1.3 Serial No. 072-0053 Copyright (c)
1981 Digital Research, Inc.  All rights reserved

but, so far, impossible to find CBASIC Compiler Version 1.4.

Is anybody out there who has this rarity?

CB80V14.WS4
-----------

- "CBASIC Compiler (CB-80) 1.4 from Digital Research"
   John Halamka
  "InfoWorld", 26 September 1983, Vol.5, No.39, p.34

(Retyped by Emmanuel ROCHE.)

Faster than a speeding FORTRAN, more powerful than a perfect  C,
able to multiply 16-bit integers in a single microsecond...

The  search for the ultimate language goes on. From LISP  lovers
to  Forth fanatics, each language has its devotees.  The  CBASIC
Compiler from Digital Research adds another icon to the language
sanctuary.  The  language is well developed  and  executes  with
amazing speed.

Features
--------

The  8-bit CBASIC Compiler, otherwise known as  CB-80,  produces
8080 code that you can put into ROM, and COM files for the  CP/M
operating system. Gone are the days of interpreters and  pseudo-
code.  True  compilation,  which  produces  directly  executable
files, is CB-80's chief contribution.

CB-80 has an advanced set of BASIC keywords. In fact, CB-80  has
almost  too many features to be called a BASIC. It is  a  multi-
user  language  that  supports file  locking,  multiple  printer
attachment,  and full error trapping. It gives you full  control
over  variable  type and, unlike most other BASICs  (except  for
Cromemco's SBASIC), allows truly structured programming.

Several  structure-oriented constructions are available.  Unlike
most BASICs, CB-80 does not require a line number on every  line
-- CB-80 programs look like more like text than code. Thus,  you
can use WordStar or any other screen-oriented editor for program
text creation, and can move program code, trim it, and expand it
easily without worrying about changing line numbers constantly.

Line  labels  of GOTOs or GOSUBs can be real numbers  or  words,
making  programs  self-documenting. Also, variables can  be  any
length  (up to 32K). CB-80's flexibility allows structures  like
this:

IF Accounts.Receivable - Accounts.Payable < 0
   THEN GOTO Broke
   ELSE GOTO Heaven

Broke:
        PRINT "File Chapter 11"
        STOP

Heaven:
        PRINT "It is time to trickle down"
        STOP

Another feature of CB-80 is its impressive control over variable
use. You can designate string, real, or integer variables. Also,
user-defined functions can stay in memory when you are  chaining
between programs. With the PUBLIC function, stored  user-defined
functions  are  always accessible, through program  chain  after
program  chain.  Variables  in  user-defined  functions   remain
associated with their particular function, however, and thus  do
not interfere with the calling program.

CB-80's most useful improvement on CBASIC is the  error-trapping
routines. Unlike CBASIC, which terminates after any error, CB-80
allows error branching and full error recovery. As users  demand
ever greater "friendliness", this feature becomes a necessity.

CB-80  supports  a  full complement of  arithmetic  and  string-
manipulating functions.

CB-80  I/O facilities surpass those of every other BASIC I  have
worked  with.  Integration into CP/M and MP/M is  evident.  File
functions  such as SIZE (comparable to CP/M 2.2's STAT),  RENAME
(like REN), and ERASE (like ERA) simplify file manipulation. You
can  lock  files from other users, mark them as  read-only,  and
write them in sequential or random-access format.

Machine-interface  functions such as PEEK, POKE, INP, OUT,  GET,
PUT, and FRE, allow full control of most hardware features.

Overall, it is the most full-featured compiler I have ever used:
It has 11 string-manipulations functions, 12 numeric  functions,
15 machine-interaction functions, and a total of 125 keywords --
you get the idea.

Performance
-----------

CB-80 has two negative aspects that I must point out. First, its
file  structure provides only for sequential  and  random-access
reading. No sorting or keying of files is permissible; thus, the
ordering  of  data  is  deathly slow.  Digital  Research  has  a
solution, though. The "Access Manager" product provides a series
of  CB-80-compatible  routines that build  keyed  files.  Access
Manager is relatively easy to use, and complements CB-80 with an
intelligent file structure.

Second,  all Floating-Point calculations  are  double-precision,
making mathematics amazingly slow.

Digital Research has a solution for this problem, also. The firm
recommends  that all numbers be multiplied by enough factors  of
10  to  make  them integers. Thus, you can  use  faster  integer
arithmetic throughout, and can arrive at the real number at  the
end of computation by dividing.

As  a test of the compiler, I wrote a program to set and read  a
Real-Time  Clock.  CB-80's  flexible  program  features  allowed
machine-level communication with POKE, PEEK, INP, and OUT. Using
MBASIC and CBASIC, I had few problems and read the clock without
any problems. To my surprise, CB-80's resulting COM file was  so
fast  that  I had to add dummy loops to waste  time.  The  board
simply could not send information fast enough!

One  strange abnormality I discovered while testing  performance
was  integer rounding. Every language I have ever used does  the
following:

If A is REAL and B is INTEGER,

        A = 2.71416
        B = A
        PRINT B

yields  B=2  for every language, except CB-80. With  CB-80,  the
answer  is  B=3.  Integer conversion are  rounded,  rather  than
truncated. Very strange.

Ease of use
-----------

Compiling  is  as simple as CB80 TEST, linking is as  simple  as
LK80 TEST. When you type TEST, the program executes immediately.
You can use WordStar to generate program text, making editing as
painless as possible. Unfortunately, a few of WordStar's marking
characters  (such  as those that mark the beginning and  end  of
blocks to be moved) generate errors in compilation.

Error handling
--------------

Internally,  CB-80's error handling is magnificent  but,  during
compilation, errors abound. As with any compiler, one error  can
multiply  rapidly as compilation goes on, but CB-80  seems  very
touchy.

In the program TEST above, leaving a colon off the HEAVEN  label
creates  11  errors.  To  make  matters  worse,  errors   during
compilation are marked with carets and cryptic code. This forces
the  programmer to look up errors in the CB-80 manual  appendix,
which is an inconvenience.

Documentation
-------------

As  a registered user of earlier releases of CB-80, I noticed  a
great  improvement in the current documentation. In this  latest
release,  Version  1.4,  the documentation is  not  only  better
organized, but also more understandable. The earlier releases of
the  documentation  were  filled  with  flowcharts  and   syntax
diagrams, and were organized by keyword function, rather than in
alphabetical  order,  which  makes finding  a  keyword  next  to
impossible.

The  new documentation looks like Microsoft's BASIC manual,  and
is  organized alphabetically. It includes a full  glossary,  and
English   rather   than   technospeak   is   used    throughout.
Unfortunately,  the index is miserable and omits  most  keywords
and their cross-references. In fact, a few keywords in the  "New
keywords added to CBASIC" category are still a mystery to me.

Still,   the   documentation  is  well   organized   and   quite
descriptive.

Summary
-------

CB-80  is packed with features. Program development is fast  and
painless  --  if you have memorized the manual  and  never  make
programming errors.

The CB-80/CBASIC combination does not have the advantages of the
MBASIC/BASCOM combination, though. CBASIC is not an interpreter,
but a pseudo-code compiler. Thus, the convenience of  developing
and debugging code in an interpreter environment is absent.

Compiling,  recompiling,  debugging, and recompiling  wastes  an
incredible  amount  of  time. CBASIC is  well  supported  across
systems, and 8086 versions are also available. All in all, CB-80
is a powerful language for programs that are not file-intensive;
you  can write them in small modules and debug them  separately,
saving compiling time.

The  CBASIC Compiler will certainly be a force in the future  of
microcomputing.  Version 2 of the compiler will contain the  GSX
graphics  commands.  The  "Display Manager"  addition  to  CB-80
provides "screen" templates for quick display writing.

Digital  Research has put much effort into the CBASIC  Compiler,
CB-80, and future support of the product is guaranteed.

EOF

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

0
roche182 (635)
9/21/2012 8:16:17 AM
comp.os.cpm 3422 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Am Freitag, 21. September 2012 10:16:17 UTC+2 schrieb Mr Emmanuel Roche, France:
> [...]
>
> but a pseudo-code compiler. Thus, the convenience of  developing
>
> and debugging code in an interpreter environment is absent.
>

> Compiling,  recompiling,  debugging, and recompiling  wastes  an
>
> incredible  amount  of  time. CBASIC is  well  supported  across
>
> systems, and 8086 versions are also available. All in all, CB-80
>
> is a powerful language for programs that are not file-intensive;
>
> you  can write them in small modules and debug them  separately,
>
> saving compiling time.
>

> The  CBASIC Compiler will certainly be a force in the future  of
>
> microcomputing.  Version 2 of the compiler will contain the  GSX
>
> graphics  commands.  The  "Display Manager"  addition  to  CB-80
>
> provides "screen" templates for quick display writing.
>

> Digital  Research has put much effort into the CBASIC  Compiler,
>
> CB-80, and future support of the product is guaranteed.

I think you can find it here :
    http://z80cpu.eu/archive/rlee/L/LOOSECPM/239/

Header is:
CBASIC Compiler CB-80             Version 1.4
Serial No.  CB8-0000-01722 Copyright (c) 1982
Digital Research, Inc.    All rights reserved

Hope that helps.
Regards
Roman
Hello, Roman!

(Please, don't top-post (=3D include the full text of the preceding
message).)

> I think you can find it here :
> =A0 =A0http://z80cpu.eu/archive/rlee/L/LOOSECPM/239/

Yes, indeed. Since nobody cared to give meaningful names to those
directories, I had not found it during my searches.

Many thanks. So, you have saved a rarity from Death!

CB80LIB1.WS4
------------

This file contains a study of the libraries of:

CBASIC Compiler CB-80             Version 1.4
Serial No.  CB8-0000-01722 Copyright (c) 1982
Digital Research, Inc.    All rights reserved

Those libraries of subroutines are contained in CB80.IRL.

So, this file was produced by the following command line:

A>LIB CB80[I]=3DModule1,Module2,...

(Attention:  The  'switch' must be inside square  brackets,  and
there  must  be  no space between the target  filespec  and  the
switch.)

So,  our  first question is: What are the modules  of  the  CB80
library?

A>LIB CB80.IRL[M]
LIB 1.1

INIT
ARITH
PRINT
INP
FILE
CHAIN
STR
MISC
DIM
MATCH
TRAN

So, CB80.IRL contains 11 modules. QED.

Now, what are the PUBLIC labels of those modules?

A>LIB CB80.IRL[P]
LIB 1.1

INIT
   ?INIT
   ?GETS
   ?RELS
   ?EROR
   ?IFRE
   ?MFRE
   ?STOP
   ?REST
   ?ONER
   ?ERRC
   ?ERRL
   ?ERRX
   ?LNUM
   ?BDOS3
   ?COLUM
   ?CMDL
   ?DATA
   ?SEED
   ?IOBUL
   ?IOBUF
   ?SDAT
   ?EDAT
   ?SCOM
   ?OVER
   ?FSA
   ?AVAIL
   ?EXTER
   ?MEMRY
ARITH
   ?ARMM
   ?ARSM
   ?ARSS
   ?SRMM
   ?SRSM
   ?SRMS
   ?SRSS
   ?MRMM
   ?MRSM
   ?MRSS
   ?DRMM
   ?DRSM
   ?DRMS
   ?DRSS
   ?CRMM
   ?CRSM
   ?CRMS
   ?CRSS
   ?TRMM
   ?TRSM
   ?TRMS
   ?TRSS
   ?CRSH
   ?MIDH
   ?DIDH
   ?PIDH
   ?IMOD
   ?CIHS
   ?CIHM
   ?UMRM
   ?UMRS
   ?RABS
   ?RSGN
   ?RAND
   ?RRND
   ?IINT
   ?RINT
   ?SHFT
   ?ADDIT
   ?SUBTR
   ?RMULT
   ?DIVID
   ?MOVE8
   ?SETOF
   ?ZREXP
   ?ROUND
   ?RUNDA
   ?FLOAT
   ?RLOAD
   ?STORE
   ?FIXCY
   ?RINTH
   ?BINAR
   ?XCOMP
   ?SACCM
   ?ACEXP
   ?EXTMN
   ?ACMAN
   ?CARRY
   ?DGCNT
PRINT
   ?PCRS
   ?PCRN
   ?PCRC
   ?PCIS
   ?PCIN
   ?PCIC
   ?PCSS
   ?PCSN
   ?PCSC
   ?PCNL
   ?IPOS
   ?PCTS
   ?PCTC
   ?PCTN
   ?FOINT
   ?FOBCD
   ?FOSTR
   ?PUSS
   ?CUSS
   ?ECPR
   ?ATTP
   ?DETP
   ?FORMO
   ?LPRN
INP
   ?PPMT
   ?ICLN
   ?ICIH
   ?ICRH
   ?ICSH
   ?IDIH
   ?IDRH
   ?IDSH
   ?CISI
   ?CRSI
   ?CONC
   ?CONS
   ?RVAL
   ?PEEK
   ?POKE
   ?POUT
   ?IINP
   ?INKY
FILE
   ?FINT
   ?BFCB
   ?FILE
   ?OPEN
   ?CRET
   ?CLOS
   ?CAOF
   ?DELT
   ?DREF
   ?DREC
   ?IFED
   ?IFIH
   ?IFRH
   ?IFSH
   ?IFLH
   ?EDFR
   ?PDIF
   ?PDRF
   ?PDSF
   ?PDIE
   ?PDRE
   ?PDSE
   ?FRNM
   ?SIZE
   ?FGET
   ?FPUT
   ?LOCK
   ?UNLK
CHAIN
   ?PCHN
STR
   ?ASMM
   ?CSMM
   ?TSMM
   ?IASC
   ?SCHR
   ?LEFT
   ?ILEN
   ?RIGT
   ?SMID
   ?VARP
   ?SADD
   ?SSTR
   ?UCAS
   ?CSTR
   ?SCMD
   ?MSTR
MISC
   ?MPAR
DIM
   ?DIMA
MATCH
   ?MATC
TRAN
   ?RSIN
   ?RCOS
   ?RTAN
   ?RATN
   ?REXP
   ?RSQR
   ?RLOG
   ?PRMM
   ?PRSM
   ?PRMS
   ?PRSS

Ok.  A dump of all those modules would fill dozens of pages,  so
let us stop here.

EOF

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

0
roche182 (635)
9/22/2012 6:09:04 AM
Il 22/09/2012 08:09, Mr Emmanuel Roche, France ha scritto:
> Hello, Roman!
>
> (Please, don't top-post (= include the full text of the preceding
> message).)
>
>> I think you can find it here :
>>     http://z80cpu.eu/archive/rlee/L/LOOSECPM/239/
>
> Yes, indeed. Since nobody cared to give meaningful names to those
> directories, I had not found it during my searches.

e meh... I think that the loosecpm section of the rlee archive actually
means it, what was inside miscellanous CP/M disks more or less
haphazardly found here and there; I guess that the hard work of taking
the contents on a disk (or .dsk, or .imd) and ID the content and
building an index is definitively more than worthy ; actually I'm in
process of slowly sorting out the "usefulness" of the similiar, but
already indexed, sound potential section of the lambda archives, and
have an idea of the procedure.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

0
chiedetelo (68)
9/22/2012 1:40:53 PM
Ok. I have spent 2 hours trying to find the "CBASIC Compiler Reference
Manual", without success.

The only thing that I managed to find is an OCRed text about:

- "CB-80 Language Reference Manual"
  Second Printing: March 1982

made by Tim Olmstead. RIP.

http://www.cpm.z80.de/manuals/cb80.zip

The 'CBASIC Compiler Version 2.0 Reference Manual", sold by Amstrad in
1985, was dated December 1982.

So, I assume that the above manual covers Versions 1.3 and 1.4. (Only
LK-80 is shown: it was Version 1.3.)

The problem is that this OCRed manual is barely readable, without a
PDF image of the original manual to compare with.

In addition, it contains lots of "Syntax Diagrams" (a la Pascal), so
there are several pages which are simply puzzles.

So, it is totally impossible to proof-read the scanned text.

Is anybody out there who has this rarity?

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

0
roche182 (635)
9/22/2012 6:51:56 PM
On Sunday, September 23, 2012 4:51:56 AM UTC+10, Mr Emmanuel Roche, France =
wrote:
> Ok. I have spent 2 hours trying to find the "CBASIC Compiler Reference
>=20
> Manual", without success.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> The only thing that I managed to find is an OCRed text about:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> - "CB-80 Language Reference Manual"
>=20
>   Second Printing: March 1982
>=20
>=20
>=20
> made by Tim Olmstead. RIP.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> http://www.cpm.z80.de/manuals/cb80.zip
>=20
>=20
>=20
> The 'CBASIC Compiler Version 2.0 Reference Manual", sold by Amstrad in
>=20
> 1985, was dated December 1982.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> So, I assume that the above manual covers Versions 1.3 and 1.4. (Only
>=20
> LK-80 is shown: it was Version 1.3.)
>=20
>=20
>=20
> The problem is that this OCRed manual is barely readable, without a
>=20
> PDF image of the original manual to compare with.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> In addition, it contains lots of "Syntax Diagrams" (a la Pascal), so
>=20
> there are several pages which are simply puzzles.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> So, it is totally impossible to proof-read the scanned text.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Is anybody out there who has this rarity?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Yours Sincerely,
>=20
> Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

I just checked out in the shed and I have a photocopy of the "CB-80 Languag=
e Reference Manual" that appears the same as the one of Tim Olmstead (mine =
is minus the first page).  So with the help of his OCR file and my photocop=
y, I should be able to put a readable copy together and PDF it if anyone is=
 interested.  It wont happen overnight though :)

You can also download a 1981 version from http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/my=
_imsai.htm

Cheers,
Alan Laughton
0
poncil340 (2)
9/23/2012 12:21:27 AM

Mr Emmanuel Roche, France wrote:
> Ok. I have spent 2 hours trying to find the "CBASIC Compiler Reference
> Manual", without success.
>
> The only thing that I managed to find is an OCRed text about:
>
> - "CB-80 Language Reference Manual"
>    Second Printing: March 1982
>
> made by Tim Olmstead. RIP.
>
> http://www.cpm.z80.de/manuals/cb80.zip
>
> The 'CBASIC Compiler Version 2.0 Reference Manual", sold by Amstrad in
> 1985, was dated December 1982.
>
> So, I assume that the above manual covers Versions 1.3 and 1.4. (Only
> LK-80 is shown: it was Version 1.3.)
>
> The problem is that this OCRed manual is barely readable, without a
> PDF image of the original manual to compare with.
>
> In addition, it contains lots of "Syntax Diagrams" (a la Pascal), so
> there are several pages which are simply puzzles.
>
> So, it is totally impossible to proof-read the scanned text.
>
> Is anybody out there who has this rarity?
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

Hello Emmanuel,

How about the excellent PDF at
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/digitalResearch/cpm/CBASIC_Language_Reference_Oct82.pdf.
It is dated October, 1982 and has excellent resolution and also has the
underlying text conversion so that one can select the text, cut it, and
paste it into another program.  Thus you could also create a WordStar
version with minimum effort.

How does one tell which version of the compiler a manual is for?  I
could not see any mention of the compiler version in the manuals.

Jeffrey W. Shook
0
31415926 (50)
9/23/2012 1:18:32 AM
ChickenMan wrote:

> I just checked out in the shed and I have a photocopy of the "CB-80 Langu=
age Reference Manual" that appears (to be) the same as the one of Tim Olmst=
ead (mine is minus the first page). =A0So with the help of his OCR file and=
 my photocopy, I should be able to put a readable copy together and PDF it =
if anyone is interested. =A0(It wont happen overnight though :)

> You can also download a 1981 version fromhttp://www.classiccmp.org/cini/m=
y_imsai.htm

1) Please, don't top-post!

2) Why are Anglo-Saxons so afraid of using their real names (first
names and family names)? Are you more intelligent when you are known
world-wide as "ChickenMan" ?

3) Well, I think that I am probably more familiar than you in retyping
old Digital Research manuals. So, I would suggest that you loan me
your photocopy. As usual, I will produce a WS4 file, then use my WS4-
to-HTM File Converter to produce an HTM file (that I print at the
cybercafe), then compare your photocopy with my printout. If you
search for "Roche" and "17430", you will find my postal address, which
was published a dozen of times in the comp.os.cpm Newsgroup.

4) Rich Cini's Web site contains:

- "CB80 Language Manual"
  Compiler Systems, Inc.
  First Printing: September 1981

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Digital%20Research/CB80%20Language%20Man=
ual.PDF

(Some people will notice that this Compiler Systems, Inc. (CSI) manual
is stored in the Digital Research, Inc. (DRI) directory... Page 5,
there is a "syntax diagram" a la Pascal. All the "syntax diagrams" are
listed at the end of the manual. So, one problem solved. The last
compiler error is number 109. After the Index, there is a

"Known Problems with CB-80 Version 1.2" written by... Digital
Research! Followed by one

"CB-80 Version 1.2 Enhancements -- 28 December 1981" also written by
Digital Research. Followed by one

"CB-80 Version 1.2 Corrections -- 28 December 1981" by Digital
Research. Followed by one

"CB-80 Version 1.1 Additions & Enhancements -- 20 November 1981" No
author is given, so I assume that it was Compiler Systems, Inc.
Followed by one

"List of Corrected Conditions in CB-80 Version 1.1 -- 20 November
1981" Again, no author, so probably CSI.

Then, the manual goes back to "Section 4: CB-80 Library
Routine" (???), and ends with another text named

- "CBASIC to CB-80 Conversion Aid"
  Digital Research, Inc., Sierra Madre(!), California
  November 1981

6 pages long, which should answer all the questions of those who
cannot see a difference between "CBASIC (CBAS)" and "CBASIC Compiler
(CB-80)".

(So, in September 1981, CBASIC Compiler belonged to Compiler Systems,
Inc. and, in November 1981, it belonged to Digital Research, Inc.)

- "LK80 Operator's Guide -- Preliminary"
  Compiler Systems, Inc.
  First Printing: September 1981

Page 6 shows the banner:

LK80 Version 1 Serial No. 12345678 Copyright (c)
1981 Compiler Systems, Inc.  All rights reserved

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Digital%20Research/LK80%20Operator's%20G=
uide.PDF

- "CBASIC Version 2 Language Reference Manual"
  Digital Research, Inc.
  November 1981

The classic CBASIC Version 2 (like in 2.8) manual. Nothing new.

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Digital%20Research/CBASIC%20Version%202.=
0%20Language%20Reference%20Manual.pdf

Conclusions:

1) It would be interesting to know if Rich Cini still has, besides
"the manuals that came with (his) IMSAI 8080 machine", floppies
containing the programs? Everybody has copies of Digital Research's CP/
M manuals. But the first versions of CBASIC Compiler are, clearly,
rarities...

2) So, CB-80 was created by Compiler Systems, Inc., not Digital
Research, Inc...

3) Apparently, DRI bought it at Version 1.2, noticed some bugs, then
worked on the compiler and its manual. Hence the Versions 1.3 and 1.4
that can be found on the Internet.

4) So, "ChickenMan" is right in thinking that he has the right manual.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

0
roche182 (635)
9/23/2012 5:56:38 AM
On Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:56:39 PM UTC+10, Mr Emmanuel Roche, France =
wrote:
> ChickenMan wrote:
>=20
> > I just checked out in the shed and I have a photocopy of the "CB-80 Lan=
guage Reference Manual" that appears (to be) the same as the one of Tim Olm=
stead (mine is minus the first page). =A0So with the help of his OCR file a=
nd my photocopy, I should be able to put a readable copy together and PDF i=
t if anyone is interested. =A0(It wont happen overnight though :)
>=20
> >
>=20
> > You can also download a 1981 version fromhttp://www.classiccmp.org/cini=
/my_imsai.htm
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 1) Please, don't top-post!
>=20
I will post any way I like, suggest you be a bit more adaptable.
>=20
> 2) Why are Anglo-Saxons so afraid of using their real names (first
>=20
> names and family names)? Are you more intelligent when you are known
>=20
> world-wide as "ChickenMan" ?
>=20
Please dont assume I'm Anglo-Saxon, just because I have an English name.  S=
ince my family and all my friends call me Chickenman (maybe because I'm a c=
hicken farmer) I dont really care what you think.

>=20
> 3) Well, I think that I am probably more familiar than you in retyping
>=20
> old Digital Research manuals. So, I would suggest that you loan me
>=20
> your photocopy.=20
Big noting yourself, how would you know my ability to produce a manual.  Se=
nd you my doc, that's just not going to happen!

> [...]
>=20
> rarities...
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 2) So, CB-80 was created by Compiler Systems, Inc., not Digital
>=20
> Research, Inc...
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 3) Apparently, DRI bought it at Version 1.2, noticed some bugs, then
>=20
> worked on the compiler and its manual. Hence the Versions 1.3 and 1.4
>=20
> that can be found on the Internet.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> 4) So, "ChickenMan" is right in thinking that he has the right manual.
I didnt think or say I have the right manual, all I said is I have a photoc=
opy of the manual produced by Tim Olmstead.  If thats the "right" manual, t=
hen thats your conclusion, not mine.
>=20
> Yours Sincerely,
>=20
> Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

Cheers,
Alan Laughton

0
poncil340 (2)
9/23/2012 11:53:27 AM
Il 23/09/2012 13:53, ChickenMan ha scritto:

>> world-wide as "ChickenMan" ?
>>
> Please dont assume I'm Anglo-Saxon, just because I have an English
> name.  Since my family and all my friends call me Chickenman (maybe
> because I'm a chicken farmer) I dont really care what you think.

well, Mr. Roche himself lives in deep rural France (I once googled his
address...) so I'm now intrigued of this exchange of opinions....

let's wait, watch and see !

best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.
0
chiedetelo (68)
9/23/2012 1:29:41 PM
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/digitalResearch/cb80/CB-80_Language_Reference_Manual_Mar82.pdf

0
aek (59)
9/23/2012 5:36:36 PM
Ok. So, we have a new compiler under CP/M: CB-80 Version 1.4.

So,  the  question  is: Since everything  was  programmed  using
CBASIC, what can it do? What did people did with it, when it was
released?  So, we have a look to the "Walnut Creek  CD-ROM"  and
find a directory named "CB80"...

It contains only 2 files: CAP-CB80 and CBTOD.

So, let us see the first one:

> REM CAP-CB80.BAS  Ver. 1.1  23 Jan 84
>
> Maps all CB80 reserved words to upper case.
> This program will process source code files for V1.3 and
> V1.4 of CB-80 and can be compiled with either version.

Really? Then, let us run it on itself...

"unlock(", "unlocked", "wend", "WHILE",  "XOR", "FEND", "ABS(",\
"and", "as", "asc(", "ATN(", "ATTACH(", "BUFF", "CALL",\
"chain", "chr$", "close", "COMMAND$", "COMMON", "CONCHAR%", "CONSOLE",
\
"constat%", "cos(", "create", "DATA", "DEF", "DELETE", "DETACH",\
"dim", "else", "end", "ERROR", "ERRL", "ERR", "EQ",\
"exp(", "external", "float(", "FOR", "FRE(", "GET(", "GE",\
"goto", "gosub", "go", "GT", "IF", "INITIALIZE", "INKEY",\
"input", "inp(", "lprinter", "print", "INT%", "INTEGER", "LEN(",\
"left$", "let", "le", "LINE", "LOCKED", "LOCK(", "LOG(",\
"lt", "match(", "mfre", "MID$", "MOD(", "NE", "NEXT",\
"not", "on", "open", "OR", "OUT(", "PEEK(", "POKE",\
"pos", "int%(", "int(", "PUBLIC", "PUT", "RANDOMIZE", "READONLY",\
"read", "real", "recl", "RECS", "REMARK", "REM", "RENAME(",\
"restore", "return", "right$", "RND(", "SADD(", "SGN(", "SHIFT(",\
"sin(", "size(", "sqr(", "STEP", "STOP", "STR$", "STRING$",\
"string", "sub", "tab(", "TAN(", "THEN", "TO", "UCASE$",\
"using", "val(", "varptr(", "WIDTH", "%CHAIN", %DEBUG, "%EJECT",\
"%include", "%list", "%nolist", "%PAGE"

Well, as far as I can see, 55 "CB-80 reserved keywords" were not
translated to upper-case, while 67 were...

(I hope that it is obvious that only the keywords at the end  of
the lines of DATA were translated. So, obviously, there is a bug
in  the  program with the indexing of the array.  Personally,  I
could not understand the logic of the program. So, it is not  on
the top of my programming projects.)

Now, what does the second file do?

; CB80 CBTOD routine, fixed for seconds and for CP/M plus
;
; The original CBTOD routine in CB80 version 2.0 has a number
; of bugs:
;
; 1. BDOS function 155 is used instead of 105. 155 does not exist.
;
; 2. The routine, after changing to BDOS call 105, will only work
;    with MP/M, not with CP/M plus.
;
; 3. the TIME$ function returns HHMM00 instead of HHMMSS.
;
; This file CBTOD.ASM fixes all of the above problems. It has
; not been officially blessed by DRI and application of this
; file to your copy of CB80 is at your own risk!
;
; HOW TO:
; 1. Use RMAC or M80 to assemble CBTOD.ASM into CBTOD.REL
; 2. rename your existing CB80.IRL library to something
;    different, such as OLIB.IRL (preserve the .IRL type)
; 3. Use LIB as follows: LIB CB80[I]=OLIB.IRL<CBTOD>
; 4. Enjoy the DATE$ and TIME$ functions in CP/M plus.
;
; NOTE NOTE NOTE
; TO STRESS AGAIN, THIS CODE HAS NOT BEEN AUTHORIZED BY DRI
; AND WILL WORK WITH CB80 VERSION 2.0 ONLY!!!

CB-80 Version 2.0 ? That's the one sold by Amstrad in Europe  in
1985! Anyway, it could be interesting to people using CP/M Plus.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr. Emmanuel Roche, France

0
roche182 (635)
9/24/2012 6:53:47 AM
ChickenMan wrote:
> I just checked out in the shed and I have a photocopy of the "CB-80 Language Reference
> Manual" that appears the same as the one of Tim Olmstead (mine is minus the first page).  So
> with the help of his OCR file and my photocopy, I should be able to put a readable copy
> together and PDF it if anyone is interested.  It wont happen overnight though :)
>
> You can also download a 1981 version from http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/my_imsai.htm
>
> Cheers,
> Alan Laughton

A nice informative site with many manuals!

I d/loaded one of the pdf manuals but found it was PDF 1.6 :(

For various reasons I still use Win98SE on an old PC.  The only practical
PDF reader for this class of machine / OS is Acrobat 4 - which I believe
only does PDF 1.4.   I tried GhostScript/GhostView and Foxit 2.  While
these read PDF 1.6 they are either too slow to be usable, or are buggy
and leave the machine in an unstable state.

May I humbly suggest authors making PDFs of old manuals set the
output to PDF 1.3 so as many folks as possible can read them.

0
invalid47 (646)
9/24/2012 12:15:14 PM

Axel Berger wrote:
> Ed wrote on Mon, 12-09-24 14:16:
> >For various reasons I still use Win98SE on an old PC.  The only
> >practical PDF reader for this class of machine / OS is Acrobat 4 - which
> >I believe only does PDF 1.4.   I tried GhostScript/GhostView and Foxit
> >2.  While these read PDF 1.6 they are either too slow to be usable, or
> >are buggy and leave the machine in an unstable state.
>
> I disagree. I use version 5 on this class of machine, V6 would run too,
> but I find it ugly and bloaty. Version 5 reads PDF 1.4, version 4 reads
> PDF 1.3 (the offset comes from version 1 and PDF 1.0). Often files
> declare themselves to be version 1.6 or higher but don't use any
> incompatible features, in that case you only get a warning.

Ok.  I'll give version 5 another try.

> If that
> doesn't work I run ps2pdf14 from Ghostscript to convert the files
> downward.

Yes, I've done that too as a last resort.

> Apart from that I fully agree. My own PDFs are usually written as PDF
> 1.2 and I sometimes test them with AR 3 on Windows 3.11. Never use a
> higher version than you actually need the features of, was the first
> important thing I ever learnt in programming, and that was in 1979
> punching FORTRAN IV into cardboard cards.

0
Ed

[ace-users] ACE version 5.4 compilation problem . My OS is Cent OS 4.2
Hi Rafi, > I am trying to compile ACE 5.4, however I tried to follow the > installation instruction for Linux. I am facing ACE compilation error. > Can you please help ? FYI - I filled up the PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM for > your information. You are using a version of ACE that's over two years old. Please upgrade to ACE+TAO x.4.10, which you can download from http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html under the heading "latest beta kit". The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the latest beta kit, as described in http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/docs/ACE-bug-process.html Thus, if you need more "predictable" help 5.4, I recommend that you check out http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial support. Thanks, Doug > Thanks for your help.... > > Rafi > > > Subject: [compilation error]: [synopsis - dont know ?] > > ACE VERSION: 5.4 > > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: > Dell Server, Cent OS 4.2 (final) > > TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: > Same as above > > COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): > GCC (how to check Pathlevel ?) > > CONTENTS...

[ace-users] Re: ACE version 5.4 compilation problem . My OS is Cent OS 4.2
Hi Rafi, Thanks very much for your email. Please make sure to send all questions related to TAO or ACE to the ACE mailing list or ACE+TAO newsgroup, rather than to me directly since I travel frequently and often don't have ready access to email. See http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-mail.html for more info on how to access these resources. > I am trying to locate libACE.so, and looks like it created as follows (?): > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Feb 24 19:28 /usr/local/lib/libACE.so > -> libACE.so.5.4.0 > > Is it right ? I installed 5.4.10, and the library it craeted does not > reflect the version ? I believe this is an option now, but I'm not the guru on this, which is yet another reason to post questions to the ACE mailing list, rather than to me. > Also, I was looking at the example files - looks like it is to much > information, and I am sort of lost (I am new ACE user ). I would > like to test some simple client/server ACE examples, and how to > compile, and link with the libs that I created...Can you please help > me locating this simple example ? There are many examples in ACE_ROOT/examples/C++-NPv1/ ACE_ROOT/examples/C++-NPv2/ ACE_ROOT/examples/APG/ These examples are explained in great detail in the three books at ACE available from http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE/ This link also contains links to various tutorials on ACE. Take care, Doug ...

Mac OS-X 2.4.1
wxMac 2.4.1 on OS-X 10.2.4, statically linked, using makefile & g++. I'm encountering problems with wxNotebook (click on tab selects the new page but does not highlight the tab, controls within the page don't respond at all) and these problems also affect the notebook sample. Looking at this group's archives it seems there can be issues with g++ compiler versions and I'm wondering if that might be the problem. "g++ -v" reports GCC version 1151, based on gcc version 3.1 20020420 (prerelease) Could this be the cause of the trouble, and if so then wha...

[tao-users] ACE5.4.1+TAO1.4.1 compile fail under gcc3.4
ACE5.4.1+TAO1.4.1 compile fail under gcc3.4 g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -O3 -pipe -D_REENTRANT -DACE_HAS_AIO_CALLS -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/local/ACE_wrappers -I/usr/local/ACE_wrappers/TAO -DACE_NDEBUG -DACE_USE_RCSID=0 -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -D__ACE_INLINE__ -DTAO_HAS_RT_CORBA=0 -I/usr/local/ACE_wrappers/TAO -DTAO_AS_STATIC_LIBS -c -o ..obj/ValueBase.o ValueBase.cpp In file included from Value_VarOut_T.h:115, from ValueBase.h:25, from ValueBase.cpp:3: Value_VarOut_T.cpp: In static member function `static void TAO::Value_Traits<T>::tao_add_ref(T*)&#...

[ace-bugs] Many compiler warnings when compiling 5.4.4 with gcc 3.4.1
ACE VERSION: 5.4.4 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you use?: Solaris 2.8 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h [if you use a link to a platform- specific file, simply state which one]: // The following configuration file is designed to work for SunOS 5.8 // (Solaris 8) platforms using the SunC++ 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, or g++ compilers. #ifndef ACE_CONFIG_H #define ACE_HAS_NONSTATIC_OBJECT_MANAGER 1 // ACE_CONFIG_H is defined by one of the following #included headers. // #include the SunOS 5.8 config, then add any local updates below. #include "ace/config-sunos5.8.h" #define ACE_LACKS_ACE_IOSTREAM 1 #define ACE_LACKS_IOSTREAM_TOTALLY 1 #define ACE_NTRACE 0 // gcc doesn't define the following types typedef long t_scalar_t; /* historical versions */ typedef unsigned long t_uscalar_t; typedef void *timeout_id_t; typedef long blksize_t; /* used for block sizes */ #endif /* ACE_CONFIG_H */ CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++): linked to platform_sunos5_g++.GNU CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features (used by MPC when you generate your own...

Re: [tao-users] ACE5.4.1+TAO1.4.1 compile fail under gcc3.4
Hi > ACE5.4.1+TAO1.4.1 compile fail under gcc3.4 Yes, a known issue. Ossama Othman hs been adding support in ACE+TAO for gcc-3.4 with help from users like Oliver Kellog. Please try to pull out the latest sources from http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/anoncvs.html and give it a shot. If you can help with any of the remaining issues it would be great. Thanks bala > > g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -O3 -pipe -D_REENTRANT -DACE_HAS_AIO_CALLS > -D_GNU_SOURCE -I/usr/local/ACE_wrappers -I/usr/local/ACE_wrappers/TAO > -DACE_NDEBUG -DACE_USE_RCSID=0 -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -D__ACE_INLINE...

Re: [tao-users] ACE5.4.1+TAO1.4.1 compile fail under gcc3.4 #2
hello! i can not visit the cvs server for some limitation of here. does any web site provide cvs tar ball or just patch to 5.4.1? Or any one could send to me? Thanks very much! >From: Balachandran Natarajan <bala@cs.wustl.edu> >Reply-To: >To: yanyaqin97@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn >Subject: Re: [tao-users] ACE5.4.1+TAO1.4.1 compile fail under gcc3.4 > >Hi > > > ACE5.4.1+TAO1.4.1 compile fail under gcc3.4 > > Yes, a known issue. Ossama Othman hs been adding support in ACE+TAO > for gcc-3.4 with help from users like Oliver Kellog. Please try to > pull...

Re: [ace-bugs] Many compiler warnings when compiling 5.4.4 with gcc 3.4.1
Hi Peter, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.4.4 >> >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: >> If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you >> use?: >> >> Solaris 2.8 >> >> TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h [if you use a link to a platform- >> specific file, simply state which one]: >> >> // The following configuration file is designed to work for SunOS 5.8 >> // (Solaris 8) platforms using the SunC++ 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, or g++ compilers. >> >> #ifndef ACE_CONFIG_H >> >> #define ACE_HAS_NONSTATIC_OBJECT_MANAGER 1 >> >> // ACE_CONFIG_H is defined by one of the following #included headers. >> >> // #include the SunOS 5.8 config, then add any local updates below. >> #include "ace/config-sunos5.8.h" >> >> #define ACE_LACKS_ACE_IOSTREAM 1 >> #define ACE_LACKS_IOSTREAM_TOTALLY 1 >> #define ACE_NTRACE 0 >> >> // gcc doesn't define the following types >> >> typedef long t_scalar_t; /* historical versions */ >> typedef unsigned long t_uscalar_t; >> typedef void *timeout_id_t; >> typedef long blksiz...

Wanted: Supplement to Beneath Apple ProDOS Version 1.0.1 & 1.0.2 and 1.1.1
-- Bryan Parkoff Hi, y'all! "Bryan Parkoff" <bryan.nospam.parkoff@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<p3kTb.10640$2J1.5651@fe1.texas.rr.com>... > -- > Bryan Parkoff Gee, it's always nice to see someone with lofty goals... Willi My copy won't be leaving Lincoln, Nebraska. Bryan Parkoff wrote: -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 06:03:22 -0800, Willi Kusche wrote:...

Compiling 8.13.4 with GCC 3.3--error, stdarg.h v. varargs.h on Mac OS X 10.4.1?
I'm trying to compile Sendmail 8.13.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.1, using GCC 3.3. I'm getting the message that GCC no longer supports varargs.h and code should be updated to use stdarg.h. I know this is a long-standing problem, and I used to be able to solve it (with Sendmail 8.12.x on Mac OS X 10.2.x and 10.3.x) by reverting to GCC 3.1. Unfortunately, GCC 3.1 is not installed on Mac OS X 10.4. The weird thing is that the last machine I build this way was Sendmail 8.13.3 on Mac OS X 10.3.7 and it compiled just fine with GCC 3.3. Possibly this had something to do with the fact that GCC 3...

compiled cvs-version 4.1
Hi folks, I'm so silly to compile the cvs version from the reposority. I try everyone - mingw32, bcc, cygwin ... nothing. I got so many mistakes. Is there anyone who want to help me and email the compiled .exe? Thx a lot, Thomas > I'm so silly to compile the cvs version from the reposority. I try everyone - > mingw32, bcc, cygwin ... nothing. I got so many mistakes. > > Is there anyone who want to help me and email the compiled .exe? Precompiled binaries of gnuplot 4.1 for OS/2 and Windows are available from http://www.gnuplot.info/development/ --- PM Petr Mikulik schrieb: > > Precompiled binaries of gnuplot 4.1 for OS/2 and Windows are available from > http://www.gnuplot.info/development/ Thanks a lot. Thomas Petr Mikulik <mikulik@physics.muni.cz> wrote: > Precompiled binaries of gnuplot 4.1 for OS/2 and Windows are available > from > http://www.gnuplot.info/development/ Hah! Thank you, Petr. - Dushan Mitrovich ...

upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9
Is there a charge to upgrade from upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9 Where can I find the upgrade online researcher <malibu.ron@verizon.net> wrote: > Is there a charge to upgrade from upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9 > > Where can I find the upgrade online no. apple never charges for updates. just google for 10.4.9 combo update done. fyi 10.4.11 should be out by the end of the month. In article <1191730844.644697.92990@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>, researcher <malibu.ron@verizon.net> wrote: > Is there a charge to upgrade from upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9 > > Where can I find the upgrade online Apple. -- Jim In article <1191730844.644697.92990@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>, researcher <malibu.ron@verizon.net> wrote: > Is there a charge to upgrade from upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9 Nopes > Where can I find the upgrade online Use Software Update in the Apple menu -- Sandman[.net] researcher <malibu.ron@verizon.net> wrote: > Is there a charge to upgrade from upgrading OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9 No. Updates are free within the same major release of Mac OS X (e.g. any 10.4.x updates are free if you already have some version of 10.4). > Where can I find the upgrade online Use Software Update under your Apple menu. This will connect to Apple's servers and offer to download and install all free updates which are available for your system. It has the advantage that you don't need ...

AIX 4.1.2 -> 4.1.5 wanted
Hi, I would like to buy AIX version between 4.1.2 and 4.1.5. On original CD's. If someone has these please inform me at. tero dot kaarlela at kotinet dot com Tero Tero Kaarlela schrieb: > Hi, > > I would like to buy AIX version between 4.1.2 and 4.1.5. On original > CD's. If someone has these please inform me at. > > > tero dot kaarlela at kotinet dot com > > > Tero Somewhere I have original 4.x-Update CDs. Tomorrow I will send you more infos by email. Andreas Kohl Tero Kaarlela schrieb: > I would like to buy AIX version between 4.1.2 and 4.1.5. On original > CD's. If someone has these please inform me at. Look into your mailbox. -- Uli Tero Kaarlela wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to buy AIX version between 4.1.2 and 4.1.5. On original > CD's. If someone has these please inform me at. > > > tero dot kaarlela at kotinet dot com > > > Tero Thanks for all who helped me. Now I finally found what I needed: AIX for my thinkpad. Tero ...

How to implement a modular matlab compiler standalone applicationwith compiler 4.1.1?
Hi, in the first step i want to call a Matlab compiler generated dll from the Matlab command line. The aim is an modular Matlab compiler standalone application with calls Matlab compiler generated dlls. I have no problems to make a C shared library wrapper application to call Matlab compiler generated dll. This is well documented in the Matlab help. But if I use the same functions to implement a c-mex-function which calls my Matlab compiler genarated dll Matlab produces a crash core dump. So my questions are: Did I make any mistakes, or is my way not supported? Is there a other way,...

Problem upgrading from OS 10.4.1 to OS 10.4.9
I have a MacBook Pro with OS X version 10.4.1 installed. Model Name: MacBook Pro 15" Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1 Processor Name: Intel Core Duo Processor Speed: 2 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB Memory: 1 GB Bus Speed: 667 MHz I downloaded Mac_OS X 10.4.9 Combined Update (Intel) and when I tried updating it read: "You cannot install Mac OS X Update Combined (Intel) on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." researcher wrote: > I have a MacBook Pro with OS X version 10.4.1 installed. > Model Name: MacBook Pro 15" > Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1 > Processor Name: Intel Core Duo > Processor Speed: 2 GHz > Number Of Processors: 1 > Total Number Of Cores: 2 > L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB > Memory: 1 GB > Bus Speed: 667 MHz > > I downloaded Mac_OS X 10.4.9 Combined Update (Intel) and when I tried > updating it read: > > "You cannot install Mac OS X Update Combined (Intel) on this volume. > This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." > Call up apple support to find out what gives. ...

Wine Windows Program Loader version 1.4.1.4-0buntu4
My OS: Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit (dual-boot Windows XP and Linux Ubuntu), Memory 3.3 GiB, Processor Intel Core 2Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz x 2, Graphics Card: GeForce 210, Memory 1024 MB, Memory Interface: 64-bit, NVIDIA Driver Version: 295.40. Monitor: 32" LCD TV, Resolution: 1360x768 Just upgraded from Ubuntu 32-bit to 64-bit and experiencing problems installing a Windows application 'Radio? Sure!' http://www.radiosure.com. In Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit I downloaded/saved the application to my Downloads folder, then right-clicked the exe file, opened it with Wine and without ...

[ace-users] ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux Debian on x86 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): g++-4.1.2 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: config-linux.h THE $ACE_ROOT/inc
This is a multipart message in MIME format. --=_alternative 004800E0C1257577_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ACE VERSION: 5.6.8 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux Debian on x86 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):=20 g++-4.1.2 THE $ACE=5FROOT/ace/config.h: config-linux.h THE $ACE=5FROOT/include/makeinclude/platform=5Fmacros.GNU FILE: platform=5Flinux.GNU CONTENTS OF $ACE=5FROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features (unmodified): AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: Signal DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: EXECUTION? YES=20 I've a client/server application, and sometime when a client is=20 disconnected i get a SIGPIPE signal, this is the following stack trace. Program received signal SIGPIPE, Broken pipe. [Switching to Thread 182915886656 (LWP 4637)] 0x0000003f0e50b10f in =5F=5Fwrite=5Fnocancel () from /lib64/tls/libpthread.= so.0 (gdb) bt #0 0x0000003f0e50b10f in =5F=5Fwrite=5Fnocancel () from=20 /lib64/tls/libpthread.so.0 #1 0x0000002a95a7d54d in ACE::send (handle=3D24, buf=3D0x2ad3b30010, n=3D8= 5,=20 timeout=3DVariable "timeout" is not available. ) at ../../ace/OS=5FNS=5Funistd.inl:1163 #2 0x000000000043db02 in ACE=5FSOCK=5FIO::send (this=3D0x7352cd4,=20 buf=3D0x2ad3b30010, len=3D85, timeout=3D0x7fbfffe6f0) at /home/jvennin/projects/libraries/ace/include/ace/SOCK=5FIO.inl:96 #3 0x000000000043fb19 in Cfm::...

has ver. 4.1 been compiled for OS/2?
Up to version 4.0 gnuplot has also been compiled for OS/2. Is a compiled version of 4.1 also available. I've seen no announcement to that effect. Thanks. - Dushan Mitrovich > Up to version 4.0 gnuplot has also been compiled for OS/2. Is a compiled > version of 4.1 also available. I've seen no announcement to that effect. Binary is not available, you have to compile gnuplot yourself. --- PM Petr Mikulik <mikulik@physics.muni.cz> wrote: >> Up to version 4.0 gnuplot has also been compiled for OS/2. Is a compiled >> version of 4.1 also available. I've seen no announcement to that effect. > > Binary is not available, you have to compile gnuplot yourself. Oh. Could you tell me where to find instructions for how to do that? I'm a user, not a programmer. What compiler do I need to get, or is that all in the instructions? Again, thanks. - Dushan >>> Up to version 4.0 gnuplot has also been compiled for OS/2. Is a compiled >>> version of 4.1 also available. I've seen no announcement to that effect. >> >> Binary is not available, you have to compile gnuplot yourself. > > Oh. Could you tell me where to find instructions for how to do that? I'm > a user, not a programmer. What compiler do I need to get, or is that all > in the instructions? See the "OS/2" section in file INSTALL. --- PM Dushan Mitrovich wrote: > ...

CBASIC Compiler Version 1.00 Found!
An American wrote me, telling me that he though that he had found an old copy of the CBASIC Compiler... After checking, I can confirm that the first version of the CBASIC Compiler is present in the "Rlee Peters CP/M Archive", Volume 099: http://z80cpu.eu/archive/rlee/L/LOOSECPM/099/ Apparently, this disk contains two ASCii-to-WordMaster and WordMaster- to-ASCii file converters, along with some CBASIC database programs in INT form, along with several programs from Microsoft, such as MBASIC and BASCOM. It is very mixed. The files of interest are: A>cb80 qwe --------------------------------------------------- CB80 Version 1.00 Serial No. AAAAAA4A Copyright (c) 1981 Compiler Systems, Inc. All rights reserved --------------------------------------------------- could not open file: QWE A>lk80 qwe --------------------------------------------------- LK80 Version 1.00 Serial No. AAAAAA4A Copyright (c) 1981 Compiler Systems, Inc. All rights reserved --------------------------------------------------- cannot open source file and a novelty: ChecK-80 A>ck80 ------------------------------------------------ CK80 - Version 1.01 Copyright (c) 1981 Compiler Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved ------------------------------------------------ *** VERIFYING CB80 FILES *** Make sure all CB80 files are on same diskette as CK80. File "CK80.COM" ****************************************************** ***...

[ace-bugs] Error during compilation ACE-5.4.4 + TAO-1.4.4

PL/1 Version 1.1 and z/OS support
Hi guys, Can anyone tell me please if z/OS version 1.7 still supports PL/1 ver 1.1? Thanks, Ron. ronsho.shoshani@gmail.com wrote: > Hi guys, > > Can anyone tell me please if z/OS version 1.7 still supports PL/1 ver > 1.1? > I would expect it would probably *run*, baring LE incompatibalities (score one for static libraries). Hasn't EOS been announced for 1.1? Most of the incompatibilities with Enterprise PL/I have now been corrected. ronsho.shoshani@gmail.com wrote: > Hi guys, > > Can anyone tell me please if z/OS version 1.7 still supports PL/1 ver &g...

Version 1.3.1 Versus 1.4.2_04
Is there something about the differences between Java versions 1.3.1 and 1.4.2_04 that keeps me from declaring an object of one class when I just got done compiling that class' definition? Take a look at my code below. On host "nail", that has version 1.4.2_04 installed, I can write class "Bug" and compile it, and when I compile class "BugDriver" that declares an object of type "Bug" and uses it, it compiles fine and runs fine. On host "star", that has version 1.3.1 installed, I compile the same "Bug" class, but when ...

ANN: Breathe-1:4:2 version 1.1
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Yeoh HS author@yeohhs.com http://www.yeohhs.com Announcing Breathe-1:4:2 version 1.1 On behalf of Winique Software, Yeoh HS, who runs an IT consulting firm, is pleased to announce the release of "Breathe-1:4:2 version 1.1". This program is a visual and audio aid to guide you during your breathing exercise. It is based on the breathing exercise described in the book "Unlimited Power", by the motivational guru, Anthony Robbins. Guidance is by way of progress bar controls and sounds marking the beginning of each phase of bre...

Compiler telling me I have 1.4 JDK when i have 1.5 wont compile generics code
Hi. I had written some code which i now plan to deploy (or at least display its output) using servlets. I have never used servlets before but have read up on them and am learning as I go. I have finally put a servlet in amongst my code and am having two major troubles. 1) My code contains ArrayLists. When i compiled the code before they were working as expected. Since I have added this code to the (Automatically generated in NetBeans IDE 4.1) code that outputs the servlet and jsps in tomcat I get a compiling error on the ArrayLists. C:\*\src\java\fyp_rail_simulation\RailSimulationSystem....

Web resources about - WANTED: CBASIC Compiler Version 1.4 - comp.os.cpm

Compiler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... , or external linking . The most common reason for wanting to transform source code is to create an executable program. The name "compiler" ...

Compiler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Compile" and "compiling" redirect here. For the software company, see Compile (publisher) . For other uses, see Compilation . This article has ...

Facebook Open-Sources HipHop PHP Compiler Software
Earlier this morning, Facebook officially made their new PHP “compiler,” called HipHop, available as open source software. In the blog post by ...

Art in the Age of Matter Compilers
jurvetson posted a photo: Sheba may be the harbinger of art in the digital age — a mathematical sculptor with digital matter. She manipulates ...

Interpreters and Compilers (Bits and Bytes, Episode 6) - YouTube
This animation explains the difference between interpreters and compilers. It is from Episode 6 of the classic 1983 television series, Bits and ...

Typesafe cofounder forking Scala compiler
The main contributor to the Scala compiler, Paul Phillips, has announced on GitHub that he is forking the compiler to “fix some of the innumerable ...

Does Apple's new developer agreement ban Adobe's Flash-to-iPhone compiler?
Given that any kind of formal truce between Apple and Adobe was essentially blown out of the water by Steve Job's very public slating of Flash ...

Apple seeds devs with Safari 5.2 for Lion, Xcode 4.4 with new LLVM compiler
... to the general public this summer. Among the new features: According to Apple, Xcode 4.4 includes an editor for Collada 3D files, compiler support ...

NVIDIA and Continuum Analytics Announce NumbaPro, A Python CUDA Compiler
... are announcing that they are bringing Python support to CUDA. Specifically, Continuum Analytics’ will be introducing a new Python CUDA compiler, ...

IntelliJ Releases IDEA 12, Brings Improved UI, New Compiler Mode, Android UI Designer, And More
I'm not going to pretend to be a developer here, and I'll openly admit that the bulk of what IDEA 12 does is over my head. However, I do understand ...