"BAD_POOL_CALLER" Error Message When Upgrading to Windows 2003 Server

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817409

SYMPTOMS

When you upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003 by using HP Secure Path
V4.0a software, you may receive the following error message:
Bugcheck 0x000000C2 (BAD_POOL_CALLER)
This error message may cause the system to stop responding, and it must be
rebooted.

--
w:04
0

Go, Robot, Go ! wrote:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817409
>
> SYMPTOMS
>
> When you upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003 by using HP
> Secure Path V4.0a software, you may receive the following error
> message: Bugcheck 0x000000C2 (BAD_POOL_CALLER)
> This error message may cause the system to stop responding, and it
> must be rebooted.

CAUSE

This behavior occurs because HP Secure Path V4.0a for Windows (and
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
earlier versions) does not support a direct upgrade to Windows Server
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
2003 from a Windows 2000 Server-based computer that is attached to a
storage area network (SAN).

Can you read, Buddy?
0
pcdoktor (233)
6/7/2004 8:36:00 AM
Robert Stankowic wrote:

> Go, Robot, Go ! wrote:
>

>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817409
>>
>> SYMPTOMS
>>
>> When you upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003 by using HP
>> Secure Path V4.0a software, you may receive the following error
>> message: Bugcheck 0x000000C2 (BAD_POOL_CALLER)
>> This error message may cause the system to stop responding, and it
>> must be rebooted.
>
> CAUSE
>
> This behavior occurs because HP Secure Path V4.0a for Windows (and
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> earlier versions) does not support a direct upgrade to Windows Server
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 2003 from a Windows 2000 Server-based computer that is attached to a
> storage area network (SAN).
>
> Can you read, Buddy?

Unfortunately, not a lot of people do.  Windows makes you stupid.

And I still can't get over how much it looks like VMS... ^_^

--
<Petter>It's a bug
<X-Winger2>I refuse to believe XP has any bugs ;P

WarpKat wrote:

> Robert Stankowic wrote:
>

>>Go, Robot, Go ! wrote:
>>

>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817409
>>>
>>>SYMPTOMS
>>>
>>>When you upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003 by using HP
>>>Secure Path V4.0a software, you may receive the following error
>>>message: Bugcheck 0x000000C2 (BAD_POOL_CALLER)
>>>This error message may cause the system to stop responding, and it
>>>must be rebooted.
>>
>>CAUSE
>>
>>This behavior occurs because HP Secure Path V4.0a for Windows (and
>>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>earlier versions) does not support a direct upgrade to Windows Server
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>2003 from a Windows 2000 Server-based computer that is attached to a
>>storage area network (SAN).
>>
>>Can you read, Buddy?
>

> Unfortunately, not a lot of people do.  Windows makes you stupid.
>
> And I still can't get over how much it looks like VMS... ^_^

NT doesn't even look or come close to VMS.  I still can't get a BSOD
from my VAX4000 yet. :-))

0
mist (19747)
6/11/2004 12:27:52 AM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<mist@cumulus.com>
 wrote
on Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:27:52 -0600
<J9ednZUzOJLcYVXdRVn-gQ@bresnan.com>:

> WarpKat wrote:
>
>> Robert Stankowic wrote:

>>>CAUSE
>>>
>>>This behavior occurs because HP Secure Path V4.0a for Windows (and
>>>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>earlier versions) does not support a direct upgrade to Windows Server
>>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>2003 from a Windows 2000 Server-based computer that is attached to a
>>>storage area network (SAN).
>>>
>>>Can you read, Buddy?
>>

>> Unfortunately, not a lot of people do.  Windows makes you stupid.
>>
>> And I still can't get over how much it looks like VMS... ^_^
>>

> NT doesn't even look or come close to VMS.  I still can't get a BSOD
> from my VAX4000 yet. :-))

%SYSTEM-F-BSOD, I'm dead Jim; please reboot me.

:-)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill4 (1430)
6/11/2004 8:00:11 PM

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
> <mist@cumulus.com>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:27:52 -0600
> <J9ednZUzOJLcYVXdRVn-gQ@bresnan.com>:
>

>>WarpKat wrote:

>>>Unfortunately, not a lot of people do.  Windows makes you stupid.
>>>
>>>And I still can't get over how much it looks like VMS... ^_^
>>>

>>NT doesn't even look or come close to VMS.  I still can't get a BSOD
>>from my VAX4000 yet. :-))
>>

> %SYSTEM-F-BSOD, I'm dead Jim; please reboot me.
>
> :-)

It just doesn't happen.  I never saw that system error message.  If I
did I would believe the wintrolls claims to similarity to NT.  Then I'd
be out $30.

0
mist (19747)
6/11/2004 9:04:40 PM
In article <av5pp1-o1h.ln1@lexi2.athghost7038suus.net> (Fri, 11 Jun 2004
20:00:11 +0000), The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> %SYSTEM-F-BSOD, I'm dead Jim; please reboot me.

What a sense of humor those VMS'ers have!
0
hamilcar (369)
6/11/2004 11:55:25 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hamilcar Barca
<hamilcar@never.mind>
 wrote
on Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:55:25 -0600
<20040611195507.765$7c@news.newsreader.com>:
> In article <av5pp1-o1h.ln1@lexi2.athghost7038suus.net> (Fri, 11 Jun 2004
> 20:00:11 +0000), The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> %SYSTEM-F-BSOD, I'm dead Jim; please reboot me.
>
> What a sense of humor those VMS'ers have!

Could be worse.  The Linux kernel has a "Splunge!" in it. :-)

(Something to do with the Adaptec card, AFAICT.)

But yeah, I've lost count of the programs I've developed on
the VAX that had bugs in them returning

%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask ...

(I forget the rest of it now.  I got off Vaxen in 1989.  I
should note that the message subsystem can individually
turn on and off the bits in the message, so that one
can get the human-readable

Access violation, reason mask ...

or the machine-parsable

%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO

or maybe just the

%SYSTEM

or

%ACCVIO

bits.  It's fairly flexible.)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill4 (1430)
6/14/2004 8:00:13 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<mist@cumulus.com>
 wrote
on Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:04:40 -0600
<6J6dnWDes_29g1fdRVn-vg@bresnan.com>:

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
>> <mist@cumulus.com>
>>  wrote
>> on Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:27:52 -0600
>> <J9ednZUzOJLcYVXdRVn-gQ@bresnan.com>:

>>>NT doesn't even look or come close to VMS.  I still can't get a BSOD
>>>from my VAX4000 yet. :-))
>>>

>> %SYSTEM-F-BSOD, I'm dead Jim; please reboot me.
>>
>> :-)
>>

> It just doesn't happen.  I never saw that system error message.

You never will, I suspect.  :-)

> If I did I would believe the wintrolls claims to similarity to NT.
> Then I'd be out $30.

The only thing I know that NT and VMS share in common is
flat 32-bit address spaces -- and I'm not sure about NT,
because of the x86 paragraphing history.

Of course, I'm not all that privy to the internals of
either OS (though OpenVMS might be interesting to study
the source of, and there was some documentation -- at the
time it made my head spin a bit because of the threading
issues and preallocation of registers -- regarding how
to write a VMS device driver, in DEC's big orange binder
books; of course NT also has documentation as well but
I've never seen it).

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill4 (1430)
6/14/2004 8:00:15 PM
In article <vb31q1-d7m.ln1@lexi2.athghost7038suus.net> (Mon, 14 Jun 2004
20:00:13 +0000), The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hamilcar Barca <hamilcar@never.mind> wrote on
> Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:55:25 -0600
> <20040611195507.765$7c@news.newsreader.com>:
>>
>>> %SYSTEM-F-BSOD, I'm dead Jim; please reboot me.
>>
>> What a sense of humor those VMS'ers have!
>
> Could be worse.  The Linux kernel has a "Splunge!" in it. :-)
>
> %SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask ...

I remember looking up error messages when I was programming in FORTRAN on
an IBM S/360 running DOS.  It went something like this:

IZT-9837

Symptom:

  The frizzley conflicts with the powoin when using the
  IAAB-265 facility.

Cause:

  Probable programmer error.

Resolution:

  Correct and resubmit.

0
hamilcar (369)
6/15/2004 12:33:29 AM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hamilcar Barca
<hamilcar@never.mind>
 wrote
on Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:33:29 -0600
<20040614203325.823$Qz@news.newsreader.com>:
> In article <vb31q1-d7m.ln1@lexi2.athghost7038suus.net> (Mon, 14 Jun 2004
> 20:00:13 +0000), The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hamilcar Barca <hamilcar@never.mind> wrote on

>>> What a sense of humor those VMS'ers have!
>>
>> Could be worse.  The Linux kernel has a "Splunge!" in it. :-)
>>
>> %SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask ...
>
> I remember looking up error messages when I was programming in FORTRAN on
> an IBM S/360 running DOS.  It went something like this:
>
> IZT-9837
>
> Symptom:
>
>   The frizzley conflicts with the powoin when using the
>   IAAB-265 facility.
>
> Cause:
>
>   Probable programmer error.
>
> Resolution:
>
>   Correct and resubmit.

Yeah, IBM loved that form of error message, and the manuals were
a bit on the bulky side.  AIX at one point had IBM-formatted error
messages in its 'ls' command.  (That was admittedly awhile ago.)

A stranger mixture of cultures is hard to find, although I could
mention Daisy DNIX.  AIX at least is reliable, DNIX...well....

But yeah, VMS, while heavy (and admittedly "heavy" is a
little strange now, since back in the mid 80's our "big
Vax machine" -- an 11/750 -- had all of 8 MB RAM on it),
was very reliable.

Linux looks just as reliable, on good hardware.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
0
ewill4 (1430)

OS X 10.6.2 / Eudora 6.2.4
Hi, I have never done this before and I am just about desperate to get eudora functioning again. I have used eudora for @15 years and it suits my needs perfectly. Although I have had issues in the past something occurred in mid-November which I have not been able to resolve and, in the process, messed up some settings. No one that I know knows how to correct this so I am hoping one of you might. So, around mid-November I suddenly was not able to send an e-mail using eudora. One of the error messages I keep getting is "Server not responding. 706". Another is "...

"out of memory" error message and "segment violation" or "segmentation fault (on linux)": the partially solution
Dear all, try these solution (origin support matlab): type the command line at the top of your .m file: feature accel off You can type the same at prompt matlab. If you are lucky, the message diseppaers. Type feature accel on for toggle (on is the default mode). Alain, who as very big experience with "out of memory and segmentation fault" ...

Python Paramiko between Linux and Windows Server -- no output obtained from Windows for "dir" or "cd" commands
Hello There: I am using Python 2.7.6 and Paramiko module (on a Linux server) to connect = to a Windows server and send some commands and get output. I have a connect= function which takes IP, username and password of the remote Windows serve= r and I get an sshobj when that happens. How do I use it to send remote cal= ls is my question? If it were a local system, I would just say "os.system" but not sure about = the remote calls. Can someone help? My code looks like below: sys.path.append("/home/me/code") import libs.ssh_connect as ssh ssh_obj =3D ssh.new_conn(IP, username, password) stdin, stdout, stderr =3D ssh_obj.exec_command("dir") #since the remote = system I am SSHing into is Windows. my "new_conn" looks like this: import paramiko def new_conn(IP, username, password): ssh_obj =3D paramiko.SSHClient() ssh_conn.set_missing_host_key_policy(paramiko.AutoAddPolicy()) ssh_conn.connect(IP, username, password), timeout=3D30) return ssh_obj =09 if I replaced "dir" with "ipconfig" it works fine. I wonder how I can make = "dir" work - or for that matter.. with "cd /path/to/dir"? I know for paramiko's ssh connection to work, i need cygwin installed on a = Windows. Objective is to run commands remotely from a Linux to a Windows se= rver and then process the output again on Linux server or on Windows itself= .. I am confused becaus...

The ole "Linux vs Windows Server 2003" question
Gents; I have a client with about 50 desktops all running Windows XP. We also have AIX and Linux servers running Samba providing file storage service and the LInux box runs Lotus Notes. Another firm has made a proposal to install a Windows Server 2003 machine which is supposed to solve all my clients woes by providing a more secured file storage environment and centralized print management. I say "Bogus"! As I create my detailed response to this unfortunate scenario I was hoping that if any of my fellow Linux gurus cold provide some detail, insight or advise my way it would hel...

The bogus Linux "OS" snares another newb victim
"I've got this Wacom Bamboo tablet that I just can't figure out how to get to work properly using Ubuntu. I've downloaded a couple files: libwacom-0.4 and linux-3.3.2. My problem is, I don't know what to do with them after I've downloaded them. I've extracted them to my desktop and they're just sitting there. I've also been looking at various websites on how to install it but I get an error message in the Terminal everytime." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1958501 See my 'New to Linux? Start here' posts for a warning about what Linux will do to you. ...

Linux "advocate$": "We love Windows money!"
That's why you insist on making a living with Windows your entire lives. Hypocrites. On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:18:58 -0400, DFS wrote: > That's why you insist on making a living with Windows your entire lives. > > Hypocrites. It's true..... You know, in my field, entertainment, we have the Mac crowd and the Windows crowd and while we respect each other no Machead will be caught with a Windows machine and vis-verse. We also don't have the stupid wars that go on with Linux vs Windows etc. We respect each other. I look at COLA and instantly it's a complete farce because most of the Linux loons are really using Windows to earn their living. Gee, if Linux is so great, why not use Linux? Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:18:58 -0400, DFS wrote: > >> That's why you insist on making a living with Windows your entire >> lives. >> >> Hypocrites. > > It's true..... > You know, in my field, entertainment, we have the Mac crowd and > the Windows crowd and while we respect each other no Machead > will be caught with a Windows machine and vis-verse. > > We also don't have the stupid wars that go on with Linux vs > Windows etc. > > We respect each other. > > I look at COLA and instantly it's a complete farce because most > of the Linux loons are really using Windows to earn their > living. > > Gee, if Linux is so great, why not use Linux? For mos...

about "++" and "--"

Changing case "message" to "MESSAGE"
Working my way through Koenig & Moo "Accelerated C++" and using Borlang Builder 5 (but that is probably not relevant) I reached exercise 1-1 and typed in #include <vcl.h> #pragma hdrstop #include <iostream> #include <string> int main(int argc, char*argv[]} { const std::string hello = "Hello" // This by itself compiled const std::string message = "Hello" // and other stuff which I have //left out here. system("PAUSE"); return 0; } But I left caps lock on, and by mistake typed MESSAGE, an...

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"
Hi i found the following explaination: In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. Ada "in out" parameters have a reliable initial value (that passed in from the calling subprogram) and may be modified within the scope of the called procedure. Ada "out" parameters have no reliable initial value, but are expected to be assigned a value within the called procedure. What does "have no reliable initial value" mean when considering the "out" parameter? By chance I created a small program as follows: =========== s : string := "CAT"; procedure modify ( s1 : out string ) is begin s1(2) := 'U'; end modify; ... put ( modify(s) ); =========== now I get as a result "CUT", and i dont understand why i get this result. Doesnt the "out" specify that its initial value isnt passed in via the parameter? But it seems to be passed in the above. In fact the "out" is acting like an "in out". I am a little confused. Could someone shed some light on this? Many thanks! zork "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4104d5de@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi i found the following explaination: > > In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are > effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. > Ada "in out&q...

"Heroes" again, or "Linux in the Wild" or "Linux on TV", this time with screenshots
Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 Linux in the wild. What more proof do you need? later... -- JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ JDS wrote: > Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the > KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" > > http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 ...

Win7: "almost a dream OS", Linux: "WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!"
"It's nicer than Vista, faster than XP -- almost a dream OS." http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136192/Windows_7_How_low_can_you_go_?taxonomyId=89&pageNumber=3 "Of importance in the spec was 8GB RAM and I speced a NVidia 8600 GTS graphics card .... WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!! Since then ... I�ve installed various flavors of Linux and continually had lockups/hard freezes (No Num Lock or Caps lock... and you can�t ping the machine). Flavors of Linux that I tried were Ubuntu (7.04 64bit, 7.10 32bit and 64bit, 8.04 Alpha4 64bit), Debian Etch 64bit, Debian Lenny 64bit. All experienced random lockups." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=587905&highlight=freeze&page=60 Moshe Goldfarb wrote: > Notice the latest FUD from the Linux community. Sounds the same as the earlier FUD from the Linux "community". > Windows 7 = Vista = no improvements while Ubuntu has gone > through xxyy versions since then. And they're now on the 12th unfinished release of Fedora crapware. > Yea, what they don't tell you is that Ubuntu has actually gotten > *worse* with each new release. > > The Ubuntu forums clearly show this. Yep. The Jaunty Crapalope freezing thread now has nearly 600 posts. 1/3 of the victims polled had install or upgrade problems they were unable to fix. sniff, sniff... Micoshaft Appil asstroturfing fraudster pounding the sock DFS wrote on behalf of Half Wits from Micoshaft Appil Dep...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Dumping Windows for GNU/Linux Because it "is Lovely", "Ready for Primetime!"

Continuation of "Arrrgh! rsync "chroot failed" error message!"
I find myself in the same situation of the author of the thread entitled "Arrrgh! rsync "chroot failed" error message!" See http://tinyurl.com/o9kog or http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.networking/browse_frm/thread/6aa9b7a694b59b9b/9bb8512e8f6c233a?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#9bb8512e8f6c233a .. I am trying to use rsync to synchronize some files between two systems. I'm planning on doing this rather frequently, so it's my understanding that I should use the rsync daemon mode, and using ssh is basically a requirement as well. My most recent successful step was to link the /etc/rsyncd.conf file to $HOME for my remote user, and I'm now getting this error: $ rsync --rsh="ssh" -av --delete test.txt remoteHost::ModuleName/my/path @ERROR: chroot failed rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1296) [sender=2.6.8] Basically, what I want to know is this: In the thread above, the response was basically, "If you want to use ssh, then don't use the rsync daemon." That seems to be a common response on the web. Is it true? Is there a sensible way to use both ssh and the rsync daemon? As a related question, what is the additional overhead for NOT running rsync in daemon mode? Thanks. kenney@lucent.com <kenney@lucent.com> wrote: > I am trying to use rsync to synchronize some files between two systems. > I'm planning on doing this rather frequently, so it's...

Error: "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server"
Hi NG I have just installed CounterStrike on SuSE 9.0 When i try to run the program i get following error: // linux:/home/xx/.wine/fake_windows/Sierra/Counter-Strike # wine cstrike.exe Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified x11drv: Can't open display: :0.0 // Can u please help me Thanks SjeM <sm@ask.me> writes: > linux:/home/xx/.wine/fake_windows/Sierra/Counter-Strike # wine cstrike.exe > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server > Xlib: No protocol specified Can you run other X program...

Getting a "bogus" "The data has been changed" message from Access 2003
Hi, I have a form with unbound fields on it. The user selects a record from a recordset and I populate the unbound fields. When I try to change the unbound quantity text box, Access 2003 tells me "The data has been changed. Another user edited this record and saved the changes before you attempted to save your changes. Re-edit the record." This does not always happen. And yes, I can re-edit the quantity text box. This is BS because there are no other users. It is only me that is testing my new form on my PC only!! Any ideas what is causing the message and how I can get stop it from displaying? -paul the form notices that you are changing the recordset behind it's back. Try a docmd.runcommand accmdsaverecord, or an undo before you do any of the manipulation to avoid that error. PW wrote: > Hi, > > I have a form with unbound fields on it. The user selects a record > from a recordset and I populate the unbound fields. When I try to > change the unbound quantity text box, Access 2003 tells me "The data > has been changed. Another user edited this record and saved the > changes before you attempted to save your changes. Re-edit the > record." > > This does not always happen. And yes, I can re-edit the quantity text > box. This is BS because there are no other users. It is only me that > is testing my new form on my PC only!! > > Any ideas what is causing the message and how I can get stop it from ...

Entreprise Manager error message: "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user '#####'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.(28000,18452)"
Can anyone give a quick description of the meaning of this message and what needs to be done to get a connection. I'm running DBArtisan with SQLServer 2000 client SP4 installed. I also get the same message with MS Enterprise Manager so this is coming out of the actual ODBC connection attempt. Thanks in advance! In the future, please do not put part of your message in the subject line. Makes it harder to read. In any case, you're trying to do integrated login and don't have that login set up in the DB. You need to add that login, or change to a SQL Login. -- Greg Moore SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available! Email: sql (at) greenms.com http://www.greenms.com/sqlserver.html "byrocat" <strikemaster2000@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:a1fc2ee7-94f6-40e2-9da9-6358130e11f4@e67g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > Can anyone give a quick description of the meaning of this message and > what needs to be done to get a connection. > > I'm running DBArtisan with SQLServer 2000 client SP4 installed. > > I also get the same message with MS Enterprise Manager so this is > coming out of the actual ODBC connection attempt. > > Thanks in advance! ...

"Real OS" vs. "Toy OS"
Over in the 'Best thing about Linux' thread, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote: > Amazing what using a real OS instead of a toy can do. Given that this opinion is shared by most or all of you Linux weirdos, it must burn you to no end that a "toy" OS (WindowsXP): * can sell 200,000,000 copies - but you have to crow for months when Munich Germany installs just 14,000 * that nearly every PC vendor in the world offers it pre-loaded - but when you ask about Linux over the phone you're met with "Lin what?" or silence or sometimes a click and then silence. * that you're forced to copy the features in the "toy" OS - to lend Linux a veneer of badly needed usability and respectability * that _your_ OS is considered "alternative" - almost like it's an odd subculture * that Linux is often considered a free Windows clone * that Linux apps really are, or try to be, clones of Windows apps * that modern Linux distros often run slower than Windows on the same machine No wonder you're all so hostile and humorless. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:45:28 -0400, DFS wrote: > Over in the 'Best thing about Linux' thread, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote: > > >> Amazing what using a real OS instead of a toy can do. > > > Given that this opinion is shared by most or all of you Linux weirdos, it > must burn you to no end that a "toy" OS (WindowsXP): > > * can sell 200,000,000 copies - but you ha...

Error message "String or Binary data would be trunicated", " The statement has been terminated"
Dear All, I have written an update trigger that should write a message to an audit table When I try to update any field in the table I recieve the following error message - [ODBC Sql Server Driver] [Sql Server] Stirng or Binary data would be trunicated [ODBC Sql Server Driver] [Sql Server] The statement has been termined. I have looked and what has been suggested is to use the response.write len() to check the length of field that I am updating. Being fairly new to SQL-Server, I do not know how to do this. Any help will be most welcome. Thanks, Jeff Jeff Magouirk wrote: > I have looked and what has been suggested is to use the > response.write len() to check the length of field that I am updating. > Being fairly new to SQL-Server, I do not know how to do this. Any > help will be most welcome. Response.Write is an ASP thing, not a SQL thing. You can't reference Response.Write within a trigger. Post your trigger and let's see what you have. The error indicates that you are trying to put a string into a field and the string is longer than the field is declared to be. You can suppress the error with SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF, but the data itself will still be truncated to fit the field. -- Steve Troxell [posted and mailed. please reply in news] Jeff Magouirk (magouirkj@njc.org) writes: > I have written an update trigger that should write a message to an audit > table When I try to update any field in the table I recieve the fo...

"Insufficient virtual memory" error message in Linux
I am running a fortran program (it's a quantum chemistry program, a modification of "Columbus") on a machine with a Pentium D (that is, a dual core pentium 4), 4GB of ram and linux redhat. The program was compiled with Intel Fortran compiler 9.1 My problem is that if I tell the program to use more than 2 GB of ram the program eventually crashes with a message "insufficient virtual memory". I am still trying to understand if this issue arises because of an intrinsic limit of the CPU, of linux or of the compiler (or combinations of all three). I'm not an exper...

"Message Server" error in debug.log file
Hi, What does the following message in the Mercury's debug.log means please? 10:13:25 NDS: _get_attribute failed: obj='JJONES.DEPA.COMPANY', attr='Message Server', err=-603, step=3 context='[Root]' The user's mail sending and delivery otherwise works fine. We run Mercury 147 on NW5. Thanks! ...

Linux: "a geek and server OS still to this day"
"makzimia It can't support pro audio hardware, waste of my time. I have watched and used Linux in various flavors since the beta days. Sorry but it really is a geek and server OS still to this day. I'll stick to my OSX Mac Pro." comments at http://www.zdnet.com/article/2015s-best-linux-desktop-mint-17-2/ Another unsatisfied Linux victim. On Monday, July 20, 2015 at 8:39:09 PM UTC-4, DFS wrote: > "makzimia > It can't support pro audio hardware, waste of my time. I have watched > and used Linux in various flavors since the beta days. So...

Web resources about - "BAD_POOL_CALLER" Error Message When Upgrading to Windows 2003 Server - comp.os.linux.advocacy