"Linux In Enterprises, Market Share And Business Which Use Linux"

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-in-enterprises-market-share-and-business-which-use-linux/
0
fretwizzer (2810)

[News] "Linux" or "GNU/Linux"?
The "GNU/Linux" and "Linux" Controversy ,----[ Quote ] | (Column) - This famous controversy is there ever since I became aware of | operating systems known as GNU/Linux. The GNU General Public License (GPL), | which is used by Linux as well as most GNU software, armors both | characters. `---- http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Roy Schestowitz wrote: > http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2242 Well, i think, Linus Torvalds did another troll statement. -----BEGIN...

"Heroes" again, or "Linux in the Wild" or "Linux on TV", this time with screenshots
Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 Linux in the wild. What more proof do you need? later... -- JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ JDS wrote: > Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the > KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" > > http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 ...

linux today
bawawawa!!!! linux. I hate it already!!!! http://fr.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010081101435OSMR The consistent failure of Linux to grab even 1% of the desktop OS market Aug 11, 2010 "Linux has been around for almost two decades now. It has become a resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about on the desktop? "Linux enthusiasts have been predicting the rise of Linux as a desktop OS for the better part of a decade. To name just one of many examples, in 2003, ...

"Suse Linux is ideal"..."Linux is perfect for anything"
"Conclusion SuSE Linux is ideal for anyone. Plain and simple. If your PC is reasonably new and has a large-ish hard drive Linux is perfect for anything." http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00006JT8L/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful/279-0064730-3629436?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending It just w.... ...

Linux, Linux, Linux

Re: Informix support for Linux
I take your words as mine. (Specially because I don't write english very well :-) Absolutely agree! Mario R. Canto Ben Thompson escribi�: >IBM seem to have changed their policy on what Linux distribution they >will support (source: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/). > >Roughly speaking it would seem that only RedHat and SuSE are now >supported rather than the previous policy of matching kernel and glibc >versions. This is OK for us but I am pleased we hadn't deployed our >systems on Mandrake, for example. > >As part of this policy it states that "our future direction is to >support enterprise versions only for major Informix releases." Now I >have just checked and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server comes in at �599+VAT. >OK, big deal but it effectively raises the outlay required for IDS per >server by that amount. One of the ways our company can justify IDS over >SQL Server 2000 (there are other reasons as well) is that we save money >by not having to buy Windows 2000 Server. The whole budget can be spent >on the DBMS. > >As we are experienced with Informix and rarely call technical support >and when we do it is it's invariably a bug we could maybe continue to >use SuSE Linux 9.0 if that was still possible. > >It does strike me as a slightly ill-thought move to effectively increase >the price in this way. You might say an ent...

Informix support for Linux
IBM seem to have changed their policy on what Linux distribution they will support (source: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/). Roughly speaking it would seem that only RedHat and SuSE are now supported rather than the previous policy of matching kernel and glibc versions. This is OK for us but I am pleased we hadn't deployed our systems on Mandrake, for example. As part of this policy it states that "our future direction is to support enterprise versions only for major Informix releases." Now I have just checked and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server comes in at �599+VAT. OK, big deal but it effectively raises the outlay required for IDS per server by that amount. One of the ways our company can justify IDS over SQL Server 2000 (there are other reasons as well) is that we save money by not having to buy Windows 2000 Server. The whole budget can be spent on the DBMS. As we are experienced with Informix and rarely call technical support and when we do it is it's invariably a bug we could maybe continue to use SuSE Linux 9.0 if that was still possible. It does strike me as a slightly ill-thought move to effectively increase the price in this way. You might say an enterprise database requires an enterprise OS but to me these are only really labels. Anyone else care to comment? Ben. "Ben Thompson" <ben@nomonitorsoftspam.com> wrote in message news:10cbqbhjtvm2aa1@corp.supernews.com......

Re: Informix support for Linux
This IBM's new policy sucks !!! Do IBM support DB2 with these same policies ? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Thompson" <ben@nomonitorsoftspam.com> To: <informix-list@iiug.org> Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 6:29 PM Subject: Informix support for Linux - "enterprise" Linux distros only in the > IBM seem to have changed their policy on what Linux distribution they > will support (source: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/). > > Roughly speaking it would seem that only RedHat and SuSE are now > supported rather than the previous policy of matching kernel and glibc > versions. This is OK for us but I am pleased we hadn't deployed our > systems on Mandrake, for example. > > As part of this policy it states that "our future direction is to > support enterprise versions only for major Informix releases." Now I > have just checked and SuSE Linux Enterprise Server comes in at �599+VAT. > OK, big deal but it effectively raises the outlay required for IDS per > server by that amount. One of the ways our company can justify IDS over > SQL Server 2000 (there are other reasons as well) is that we save money > by not having to buy Windows 2000 Server. The whole budget can be spent > on the DBMS. > > As we are experienced with Informix and rarely call technical support > and when we do it is it's invariably a bug we could m...

20 years of Linux Advocacy, who are those self anointed Linux "advocates"?
Most lies told: Roy "Spammer" Spamowitz (10 ahead of Liarmutt) Rudest poster: Peter K�hlmann (called people "retards" 289 times/ "idiot' 512 times), <Tattoo Vampire just has to try harder!> Thickest poster: (W)Ron(g)B (awarded for life btw as obviously no one is ever going to pip him). Pettiest "Net Nanny" and most pursing of lips: Willy "Filters" Boaster, ex aequo chrisv / HPT Poster most liable to send you to sleep: Rex Ballard Most incomprehensible poster: Jebbediah Biggest "it's ok to steal things" GPL offender: Andrew...

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

Re: Informix support for Linux
Captain Pedantic said: > "Data Goob" <datagoob@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:6eYxc.8135$127.5769@fe41.usenetserver.com... > >> On the flip side there are some other Linux distros you should keep >> your eye on... The next step >> is in getting your boot cd's working, stop by Knoppix, Syslinux, or even >> the crazy rasta Dyne:Bolic and learn how to get your own bootable cd >> working. Knoppix seems to be taking the lead on the loop file system, >> something every Linux geek should know about. > > Do you get out much? Apart from the walks where he is accompanied by men in white coats, you mean? -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien � dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche "I'm trying to see things your way, but I can't get my head up my ass" - JCH "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo" - Marco http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html sending to informix-list ...

Poor people forced to use linux. Linux "bounties" a scam!
There was a story on the news tonight that a local Linux User Group is refurbishing computers with the Linux operating system in order to distribute them to poor people. It is unfortunate that people can actually be subjected to this kind of treatment just because of their income level. Forcing poor people and their children to use Linux will set them back in the corporate world because they won't be exposed to Windows which is used in every company. This puts them at a disadvantage when applying for work. They will be exploited by the GNU cult into creating software for "free&quo...

Any good books on "Linux Socket prog", also on "Linux Network prog"?
Guys: Any good books on "Linux Socket programming", also on "Linux Network programming"?. Any valuable on-line tutorials. Appreciated. GS wrote: > Guys: > > Any good books on "Linux Socket programming", also on "Linux Network > programming"?. Any valuable on-line tutorials. Appreciated. I have never seen one, but since sockets on Linux are basically standard BSD or Unix sockets, try searching for "Unix socket programming" or "Berkeley socket programming". -- Phil Frisbie, Jr. Hawk Software http://www.hawksoft.co...

How Amway^^^^^Linux "advocates*" do their slimy thing: "I made my dad swap to Amway^^^^^Linux"
"...Most nonbelievers are totally focussed on the disadvantages of Linux, but I made my dad swap to Linux ..." dwerf at https://bugs.launchpad.net/tabuntu/+bug/1 He must've done this forced downgrade when his Dad was out of the house. On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:42:06 -0500, DFS wrote: > "...Most nonbelievers are totally focussed on the disadvantages of > Linux, but I made my dad swap to Linux ..." Most kids just take their parents resources, this one has done his dad a real service, good on ya kid. If DFS's dad is anything like DFS, he's a real dro...

Linux advocate (as opposed to "advocate") supports 1% Linux user share
http://thepcspy.com/read/one-percent-myth-is-pretty-accurate/ Dumb Willie, get in here and tell us how MS says in their SEC filing that Linux user share is up to 14%. On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 19:37:02 -0400, DFS wrote: > http://thepcspy.com/read/one-percent-myth-is-pretty-accurate/ > > > Dumb Willie, get in here and tell us how MS says in their SEC filing > that Linux user share is up to 14%. The comments are hysterical..... Of course the Linturds are blaming it on a Microsoft conspiracy. ...

Ubuntu linux
Ubuntu linux - "No wonder people don't use Linux" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415093 Upgraded now not working correctly. - No wonder people don't use Linux. Anyway I upgraded using the official method, all updates then update manager update distribution. Problems & Bugs 1. Initial boot no window title bars, I have had to enable desktop effects to get them back. 2. Enabling desktop effects box not accessable, cannot get focus, once they are enabled. 3. Desktop effects don't actually work, just gets me the window title bars back 4. The gnome/ubuntu star...

"Linux Market Share on Desktop"
http://www.netmarketshare.com/linux-market-share On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:07:57 -0800 (PST), Steve Carroll wrote: > http://www.netmarketshare.com/linux-market-share Go Linux! You go girl ! -- flatfish+++ PLEASE VISIT OUR HALL OF LINUX IDIOTS: http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/ flatfish+++ wrote: > On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:07:57 -0800 (PST), Steve Carroll wrote: > >> http://www.netmarketshare.com/linux-market-share http://joyreactor.com/post/282940 There are 1.5 billion desktop computer users in the world. If 1% of that total use Linux, it means 15 million people use Linux. More than enough to prove it a viable and worthwhile OS. ...

[News] Startup Uses Linux in "Chip-on-Film", Motorola Commits to Linux (Digest)
Start-up touts "chip-on-film" mobile Linux core ,----[ Quote ] | A Silicon Valley startup is preparing to ship a mobile Linux | wireless development kit that utilizes new "chip-on-film" technology. | Unicon Systems says its MKit uses similar PCB (printed circuit board) | technology to the PCBs within Motorola's line of ultra-thin Razr | phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7858194638.html Speaking of Motorola Linux's phone success surprises LinuxWorld attendees ,----[ Quote ] | Within the next couple of years, Linux will power more than ha...

"Word up to Linux fan boys: Multiple Linux flaws show that Linux also has kernel issues"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1064 Word up to Linux fan boys: Multiple Linux flaws show that Linux also has kernel issues <quote> Not to defend Microsoft, as kernel exploits that provide privileged access are terrible flaws, but we had an interesting discussion in the talkbacks where several people acted as if Microsoft was the only place that could've made such mistakes. Well, the proof is in the pudding that this is a common flaw across operating systems that is difficult to catch due to the complexities of kernel code. Dann Frazier of Debian posted to Full Discl...

[News] Mainsoft Calls Mono with Linux "Linux 2.0"; Windows Becomes More Like Linux
Starting flag waved for Race to Linux 2.0 ,----[ Quote ] | In a bid to highlight the ease with which applications can be ported | to Linux, the Mono project IBM and Mainsoft will host the 'Race | to Linux 2.0'. `---- http://www.pcpro.co.uk/os/news/106826/starting-flag-waved-for-race-to-linux-20.html Shouldn't this be the other way around? Something like this... Linuxification of an XP desktop ,----[ Quote ] | His case is not the ideal one: keeping Windows for playing specific | games. Some other use cases are more legitimate though: | | * Having a Windows XP desktop at wo...

[News] "Linux performance appears to be about 25% faster" Than Windows, SGI Uses GNU/Linux

Snit, please make your next "Linux as crapware" videos using Linux on bare hardware
It won't change much - probably nothing at all - but it might eliminate a video or filesystem refresh issue here and there. Running Linux in a vm lets the cola losers /think/ they can dismiss the sad spectacle of their amateurish hobbyware failing at the basics, but running it from the hard drive will at least shut down that angle of kiddie denial from the "advocates". Plus, you'll get to learn about Linux screencasting! Thanks in advance! On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:39:10 -0500, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > It won't change much - probably not...

Win7: "almost a dream OS", Linux: "WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!!"
"It's nicer than Vista, faster than XP -- almost a dream OS." http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136192/Windows_7_How_low_can_you_go_?taxonomyId=89&pageNumber=3 "Of importance in the spec was 8GB RAM and I speced a NVidia 8600 GTS graphics card .... WHAT A NIGHTMARE !!! Since then ... I�ve installed various flavors of Linux and continually had lockups/hard freezes (No Num Lock or Caps lock... and you can�t ping the machine). Flavors of Linux that I tried were Ubuntu (7.04 64bit, 7.10 32bit and 64bit, 8.04 Alpha4 64bit), Debian Etch 64bit, Debian Lenny 64bit. Al...

Web resources about - "Linux In Enterprises, Market Share And Business Which Use Linux" - comp.os.linux.advocacy