[News] A Look at Element OS and Introduction to Peppermint OS (GNU/Linux)

Element OS - An Ubuntu Based Distro For HTPCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Element OS is a 32 bit Xubuntu based
| distro for HTPCs(Home Theatre PCs). It
| maintains compatibility with Ubuntu
| repositories. It uses the Advanced
| Packaging Tool(APT) with Element's own
| custom repositories and the Ubuntu
| repositories. Element OS also incorporates
| the AllMyApps software center to allow
| additional applications to be downloaded.
`----

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/06/element-os-ubuntu-based-distro-for.html

An introduction to Peppermint OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Stepping away from Peppermint for a
| minute, I'd like to say a few words about
| cloud-based applications in general. I
| don't think running programs over the
| Internet is really a good fit for desktop
| Linux. I'm a big fan of running thin
| clients on a LAN and I've often used web-
| based data solutions (such as web mail or
| document sharing services). But I can
| think of very few cases where web-based
| applications, running on servers outside
| the local area network, would be useful to
| Linux users. The two main benefits to
| running cloud-based apps are having one
| central location for updates and having
| the benefit of being able to access those
| applications from anywhere that has an
| Internet connection. Linux distributions
| already offer these features by way of
| software repositories, giving the end user
| the ability to keep up to date or,
| optionally, stick with older versions of
| software.
|
| Many of the big name distributions also
| offer tools to install their product on
| Flash drives, allowing users to take their
| operating system with them anywhere. This
| combination, in my mind, is superior to
| cloud-based applications in speed and
| flexibility and it removes the need for a
| steady, fast network connection. I don't
| have anything against making use of cloud
| computing where it is appropriate, but I
| think most desktop Linux users already
| have solutions in place which make web
| applications redundant. When your
| operating system receives daily updates
| and can fit in your pocket, is there
| really any reason to turn control of your
| programs over to other people? Judging by
| the interest surrounding Peppermint, some
| users think so and are excited by the
| fresh approach.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100621

Recent:

Element OS- Your ultimate entertainment Linux OS.

,----[ Quote ]
| It is based on the  Debian Packaging System
| (.deb), same one that Ubuntu uses. Unlike
| other Debian/Ubuntu based systems, Element OS
| utilizes its own online app center for
| software installations, where many of the most
| popular Linux applications that are compatible
| with our interface standards have been ported.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/02/element-os-your-ultimate-entertainment.html

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Web resources about - [News] A Look at Element OS and Introduction to Peppermint OS (GNU/Linux) - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Introduction to gauge theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is an accessible, non-technical introduction to the subject. For the main encyclopedia article, see Gauge theory . Modern physical ...

Sheryl Sandberg Talks ‘Lean In,’ Women In The Workplace At Introduction Of Her Book
“There are Facebook employees we’ve never met,” Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg said in response to a question about Yahoo ’s recent ...

Introduction to Business Manager - Facebook-Hilfebereich - Facebook
You can access ads manager and Power Editor from your Business Manager. To get to your ads manager from Business Manager, go to Business Manager ...

An Introduction to Facebook Mobile Ads
This article originally appeared in the Facebook Marketing Bible , our subscription product for marketers and advertisers looking to better understand ...

LIQUID COMICS : SNAKEWOMAN INTRODUCTION : ISSUE # 0 for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get LIQUID COMICS : SNAKEWOMAN INTRODUCTION : ISSUE # 0 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

iPhone introduction - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore mil8's photos on Flickr. mil8 has uploaded 2198 photos to Flickr.

An Introduction To 4Q: Now Be Truly Customer Centric! - YouTube
4Q is a free online survey from iPerceptions & Avinash Kaushik. 4Q helps capture critical Voice of Customer to help you identify actionable insights ...

MWC 2016: Sony smartphones evolve with introduction of Xperia X line
Sony has announced new additions to its Xperia family of smartphones at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, but this time the Japanese company ...

Opinion: 6 years after its introduction, iPad remains a long play for Apple
... never watched the demo or haven’t seen it lately, queue it up and see for yourself how much it stands out from nearly every other product introduction. ...

Embracing Computer Programming and Business law, UW students run from Problems of American Racial and ...
These kids today! So practical, so averse to the wisdom of their elders... For more analysis, here's the Cap Times article "Introductory politics ...