[News] A Look at GNU/Linux Distributions Igelle 1.0.0, Zenwalk Linux, Salix OS, and GoblinX

Distro Hoppin`: Igelle 1.0.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Hey, people! Welcome to a brand new
| installment of the Distro Hoppin` series!
| I bet you've been waiting for this a long
| time! Actually I KNOW you've been waiting
| for this a long time. Not because you were
| anxiously craving for my writing or
| anything, but because it's been a friggin`
| long time since the last hop. Be ashamed
| of yourself, Danny. Promising to write a
| post more often than once in a blue moon
| and going ahead to extend that period to
| once in an ice age... Tsk, tsk, tsk. OK,
| insert puppy eyes here and let's move on.
| I DON'T NEED YOUR FORGIVENESS!
`----

http://www.itlure.com/2010/02/distro-hoppin-igelle-100.html

Desktop comparison - Zenwalk Linux, Salix OS and GoblinX

,----[ Quote ]
| I love them all, each in their own way,
| but the purpose was to compare and find a
| winner if you want an easy life at home
| and just something that works without much
| hassle, and I'm not going to cop out now.
| Xfce is a fast and potent environment that
| I believe can meet most people's needs,
| but it does not achieve its full potential
| in most distributions due to the
| underlying base. However in a well-done
| distro you won't need any other
| environment for your daily computing and
| benefit from a considerable speed gain.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100301#feature

ArchBang 2.00 RC1

,----[ Quote ]
| There's an installer now, but you can
| always follow this mini-guide to install
| Arch-Linux w/ OpenBox fast if you want to
| do it manually big_smile
`----

Recent:

First Impressions: Igelle PC/Desktop 0.6.0

,----[ Quote ]
| And that, I'm afraid, is pretty much where my Igelle adventure ended. It was
| nice on the live desktop while it lasted but there's not really that much
| useful stuff on the live CD to make Igelle a serious contender, and the
| installer seems to be seriously flaky judging from my repeated attempts at
| getting it running from either a HDD or a USB drive.
`----

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2009/03/first-impressions-igelle-pcdesktop-060.html
http://tinyurl.com/d5cd2y

Igelle DSV 1.0.0

http://www.igelle.com/

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>Distro Hoppin`: Igelle 1.0.0

....and, of course, Igelle has been getting all kinds of bad press
lately
as their EULA is in violation of GPL.
..
..
>Desktop comparison - Zenwalk Linux, Salix OS and GoblinX
>http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100301#feature

If you're doing a demo for a newbie
and that newbie wants to see it working *before* installing it,
and your n00b doesn't like Zen's choices
Zen's one-app-per-task LiveCD may fail to impress.
It kinda blunts my standard advocate's line of
**Linux is about CHOICE; Linux is about YOU**.

:All three come with Xfce 4.6.1 as their default desktop environment,
:although others can be installed later.
:
GoblinX comes in several editions:
g:Standard - KDE
g:Noblin- GNOME
g:Mini - Xfce
g:Micro - Fluxbox
Now, that's what I call CHOICES.
If your n00b doesn't like one, whip out another and continue.[1]

:The GoblinX web site feels awkward and it took me a while
:to locate the tiny shortcut to the forum further down the page.
:This being a Brazilian distro half the postings were in Portuguese.
:
Yeah, that's the fly in the ointment.
..
..
[1] When Mint gets their Mint 8 Xfce Edition out,
that distro will be another that has this option with LiveCDs.
0
jeffm_ (1319)
3/2/2010 7:15:46 PM

____/ JeffM on Tuesday 02 Mar 2010 19:15 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>Distro Hoppin`: Igelle 1.0.0
>>
> ...and, of course, Igelle has been getting all kinds of bad press
> lately
> as their EULA is in violation of GPL.
> .
> .
>>Desktop comparison - Zenwalk Linux, Salix OS and GoblinX
>>http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100301#feature
>>
> If you're doing a demo for a newbie
> and that newbie wants to see it working *before* installing it,
> and your n00b doesn't like Zen's choices
> Zen's one-app-per-task LiveCD may fail to impress.
> It kinda blunts my standard advocate's line of
> **Linux is about CHOICE; Linux is about YOU**.

The distro got forked. I can't recall the exact reason. So there's *choice*
for ya! The radical way...

> :All three come with Xfce 4.6.1 as their default desktop environment,
> :although others can be installed later.
> :
> GoblinX comes in several editions:
> g:Standard - KDE
> g:Noblin- GNOME
> g:Mini - Xfce
> g:Micro - Fluxbox
> Now, that's what I call CHOICES.
> If your n00b doesn't like one, whip out another and continue.[1]
>
> :The GoblinX web site feels awkward and it took me a while
> :to locate the tiny shortcut to the forum further down the page.
> :This being a Brazilian distro half the postings were in Portuguese.
> :
> Yeah, that's the fly in the ointment.

It mostly targets Brasilians and others in south America,
where GNU/Linux is used a lot (and preinstalled even more).

> [1] When Mint gets their Mint 8 Xfce Edition out,
> that distro will be another that has this option with LiveCDs.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"Lotus Notes for Dummies" is surely a single page pull out with
"don't" printed on it. -- Unknown
 23:20:01 up 108 days, 20:51,  2 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.57, 0.38

0
newsgroups3 (79677)