[News] Another NAS Likely to Be Linux-based

Thecus has eight- bay NAS

,----[ Quote ]
| The OS is a custom job, very likely Linux based, that looks very similar to
| every other media center out there. This is not to say it looks bad, it is
| just getting hard to tell one from another nowadays. You have to admit that a
| 3TB media center that is also your home NAS makes a lot of sense.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/07/thecus-bay-nass

Recent:

Linux-based NAS stores 2TB

,----[ Quote ]
| LaCie has shipped a dual-disk, 2TB version of its Linux-based network
| attached storage (NAS) appliance. The latest "2big Network" device runs an
| in-house version of Linux called LaCix, and can act as a small business
| server for FTP, backup, and file-sharing.
`----

Related:

Linux-based NAS expands to four bays

,----[ Quote ]
| Qnap Systems introduced a four-bay version of its Linux-based line of
| multifunction NAS (network-attached storage) devices. The TS-409 Pro Turbo
| NAS offers a hot-swappable HDD design, RAID 0/ 1/ 5/ 6/ 5+ support, and
| online RAID capacity expansion and level migration, says Qnap.
`----

Small Linux-powered NAS device attracts a community

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have difficulties finding Raidsonic products in your country, the
| Taiwanese maker Macpower offers a product called Taurus LAN which is
| hardware-identical to the described IcyBox.
`----

http://wolfgang.lonien.de/?p=514

Pogo Linux Announces Enterprise-Grade NAS Appliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Pogo Linux has released their most versatile and advanced storage
| device to date, the StorageDirector 3000 series network attached
| storage (NAS) appliance.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/hardware/pogo-linux-announces-enterprise-grade-nas-appliance
http://tinyurl.com/2f83mz

REVIEW: Iomega StorCenter Pro 150d

,----[ Quote ]
| The Active Directory integration intrigued me because Iomega made a
| big point out of the fact that this is brainless, even though the
| StorCenter Pro 150d is based on Linux firmware.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/smbit/archives/2007/03/review_iomega_s.html

LaCie Ethernet Disk RAID 2TB entry-level NAS box

,----[ Quote]
| Review Two terabytes of network-attached storage SATA-based RAID
| storage and an iSCSI desktop disaster recovery platform all within
| one small compact unit for under £900?
|
| [...]
|
| This is bundled with an non-upgradeable 256MB of DDR SDRAM for memory
| and an OS based around a Linux 2.6 kernel co-developed by FalconStor -a
| company with a good history in storage.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/17/review_lacie_ethernet_disk_raid/

Linksys Dual Bay NAS Drive has a Hackable Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Linksys debuted its entry-level NAS drive at CES tonight. And, since
| it's built on a Linux OS like their infamous Linux based router,
| it'll be hackable, too.
`----

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/linksys-dual-bay-nas-drive-has-a-hackable-linux-os-226783.php
http://tinyurl.com/ykuqkj

Fast five-drive NAS box fills more storage gaps

,----[ Quote ]
| Last up, one pat on the back to Thecus. All of their devices run Linux,
| and Thecus is being a very good corporate citizens about their use of
| GPL'd code. Normally, you only hear about people violating the GPL or
| have to search their site for a buried link to the source.
|
| With Thecus, the opposite is true. They put the code on their main
| page, usually right next to the firmware updates themselves. I actually
| saw the code before I realized what it was, quite an unusual situation.
| It was a case of me scratching my head wondering what the .GPL extension
| was before it dawned on me. Again well done.
`----

Linux-powered NAS device does 90TB on 20 Amps

,----[ Quote ]
| Infrant is shipping a pair of network-attached storage (NAS) devices
| that run Linux and target low-power, high-density storage
| applications.
`----

Free open-source storage software attracts users

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source storage software is available to address a number of user
| needs, attracting tens of thousands of users who are turning to open
| source to avoid pricey proprietary products
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;2151292;fp;4;fpid;1968336438

NEC's NAS redefines 'revolutionary'

,----[ Quote ]
| The device runs open source NAS software, is compatible with Microsoft
| Active Directory, and has two Gigabit Ethernet ports. It also has twoU
| SB2 ports to connect external storage devices such as hard disks, DVD
| recorders and USB sticks.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/28/nec_revolving_nas/
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:

> Thecus has eight- bay NAS
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The OS is a custom job, very likely Linux based, that looks very similar to
>| every other media center out there. This is not to say it looks bad, it is
>| just getting hard to tell one from another nowadays. You have to admit that a
>| 3TB media center that is also your home NAS makes a lot of sense.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/07/thecus-bay-nass

I've already got 1.5TB on my mythtv box, and I suspect that I'll be
needing some more...

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |

0
mark.kent (15323)
6/14/2008 12:57:47 PM
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:57:47 +0100, Mark Kent wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>>
>> Thecus has eight- bay NAS
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The OS is a custom job, very likely Linux based, that looks very similar to
>>| every other media center out there. This is not to say it looks bad, it is
>>| just getting hard to tell one from another nowadays. You have to admit that a
>>| 3TB media center that is also your home NAS makes a lot of sense.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/07/thecus-bay-nass
>>

> I've already got 1.5TB on my mythtv box, and I suspect that I'll be
> needing some more...

You must be an even bigger idiot than I first thought if you watch TV that
much.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: