[News] Apple's Mac OS X is Being Dumped for GNU/Linux Desktops

No Apple computers for me

,----[ Quote ]
| I had been a apple computer user for the
| past 5 years and immensely enjoyed the
| hardware and the software. But, all good
| things come at a price. Apple's price for a
| polished user experience has lately turned
| out to be user freedom.
|
| [...]
|
| All said, in the end, there is only one
| thing to do for me. Stick with Freedom and
| give up Apple. So, as of yesterday night, I
| have migrated all music from iTunes to
| Ubuntu (Rhythmbox player).
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/thescian/2010/03/no_apple_computers_for_me.php?utm_source=sbhomepage&utm_medium=link&utm_content=channellink

Open one way or another

,----[ Quote ]
| We’ve covered our concerns about Apple’s
| control issues, and we’ve also highlighted
| how the company is creating opportunity for
| more open alternatives to capture
| developers, mindshare and yes, believe it
| or not, consumers. This is the picture we
| foresaw in our 2008 report, Mobility
| Matters, where we described the first
| Android phone, the G1, not as an Apple
| iPhone killer, but an impressive first step
| and a sign of an oncoming onslaught of
| iPhone alternatives, all with openness
| advantages for hardware manufacturers and
| wireless carriers that can maintain or
| create their own brands, and also openness
| advantages for developers and users in the
| software available for the devices.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/03/12/open-one-way-or-another/

Recent:

The 'year of the Linux desktop' has passed

,----[ Quote ]
| But in my new role at Canonical, I've switched
| to using Ubuntu on my Lenovo ThinkPad X200s
| and have found Linux comfortably routine. Like
| my Mac, it just works--no drama with day-to-
| day Internet activities like e-mail, Web
| browsing, IM, Twitter. It lets me do all the
| things I used to do, and still largely with
| the same applications I used on my Mac.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10455816-16.html

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Experience Beats Apple's Mac OS X

[News] Mac OS X Dumped For GNU/Linux Because It's Better (Not Just Libre)

[News] Guide and Tips for Dumping Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Desktop

[News] Mac OS X Users Leave Apple and Come to Desktop GNU/Linux

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

[News] Reasons to Embrace GNU/Linux at OS X's and Windows' Expense

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] User Dumps Mac OS X for GNU/Linux with KDE4

[News] Moving from Mac OS X to Desktop GNU/Linux Working Out Well

[News] User Has Had Enough of Apple; Migration from Mac OS X to... GNU/Linux
Switching From Mac To Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The straw that broke the camel's back was the release of iTunes 7. I | excitedly downloaded it, reading up on some of the new features. There | wasn't much of interest for me, but who can resist a major update of a | killer application? I turned on L7's "Smell The Magic" and began to | check out the new interface. | | Revolting! The playlist panel was suddenly clunky, chopped into three | chunks of ugliness. The "new" Coverflow interfaces made me think of | Windows Media Player. This wasn't iTunes... it was a tr...

Apple's Mac OS X helps BSD overtake Linux for development
<http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2100882/apples-mac-helps-bsd-overt ake-linux-development> OR <http://goo.gl/pYzhG> ----- Analyst outfit Evans Data reports that in North America over 80 per cent of developers still run their integrated development environments (IDEs) in Microsoft's Windows operating system. As surprising and concerning as that might be, the biggest surprise is the growing popularity of Apple's Mac OS X, with Evans Data claiming that 7.9 per cent of developers are using it as a host operating system, pushing it past Linux, which is used by 5.6 per cent of developers surveyed. Janel Garvin, CEO of Evans Data said, "Apple has made tremendous strides in the last few years with innovative products and technologies, so it's quite reasonable to see developers adopting the Mac and its OS as a development environment." ----- Makes me almost feel bad for Peter and his rants... almost. :) -- [INSERT .SIG HERE] ...

[News] Jack Wallen Continues Series on How to Dump Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Applications

[News] User Leaves Apple's OS X, Rejects Windows, Chooses Linux
Why I'll Never Switch Back from Linux to Mac... Maybe ,----[ Quote ] | And so a Linux user was born. As I mentioned in my article "Why I Switched | From Mac To Windows To Linux," the switch to Linux, while certainly requiring | a bit of learning, was fairly painless. `---- http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/321868/why_ill_never_switch_back_from_linux.html Related: [Mark Pilgrim and Tim Bray Move from Mac to Linux] ,----[ Quote ] | Early this month, Mark Pilgrim made waves when he went shopping for a | new Mac, but decided not to buy one, and, in When the bough bre...

[News] Desktop Survey (Eclipse): GNU/Linux: 27%, Windows: 64%, Mac OS X: 6.9%

[News] The 'Desktop' Becomes Decreasingly Relevant (to Linux/Windows/Mac OS)
Smartphones Becoming More Popular ,----[ Quote ] | "The nearly three-fold increase in smartphones shows that this once | negligible niche is becoming a more influential force in the consumer | market -- attracting entrants such as Apple and the Open Handset Alliance." `---- http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=11300B415VSM Open Handset Alliance, Symbian, and maybe even Apple. Microsoft is far behind with about 5% in terms of market share, which is pathetic after so many years of huge investments. Related: PCs step aside… smarter mobiles are coming ,----[ Quote ] ...

[News] [Linux] It's All About GNU/Linux on the DreamWorks Desktops (and Servers)
DreamWorks Animation "Shrek the Third": Linux Feeds an Ogre ,----[ Quote ] | All the big film studios primarily use Linux for animation and | visual effects. Perhaps no commercial Linux installation is larger | than DreamWorks Animation, with more than 1,000 Linux desktops and | more than 3,000 server CPUs. `---- http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9653 Needless to say, they don't surf the Web with these workstations (yet another reason to ignore Web stats-based figures). Related: ,----[ Quote ] | "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at m...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] Modern GNU/Linux Compared to Mac OS X

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X in Areas

[News] Mac OS X Does Not Look Better Than GNU/Linux

[News] Linux Today's Editor on What Makes a Perfect GNU/Linux Desktop

[News] Suggestions for Upgrading from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux

Web resources about - [News] Apple's Mac OS X is Being Dumped for GNU/Linux Desktops - comp.os.linux.advocacy