[News] Asay on [H]omer's Piece Covering Yahoo's FOSS War, Apple's FOSS War

Yahoo! censoring open source to buddy up to Microsoft? Not likely

,----[ Quote ]
| Slated is suggesting that Yahoo! is censoring out open source on its Answers
| service. Apparently some suggestions that people try Ubuntu, among other
| things, have been marked as a "violation of...Community Guidelines or Terms
| of Service."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9857129-16.html

Many layoffs at Yahoo pretty shortly, according to reports.

Apple is no angel either. Apple is still a Microsoft partner in many ways.

Proprietary forks undermine open source’ purpose

,----[ Quote ]
| My problem is, if Apple materially changed DTrace, why do they still call it
| by that name? Why not call it iDTrace?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1923

Quote for the day:

"I thanked [Compaq's John] Rose for all of his trips to Seattle and his
willingness to distract a lot of time for the lawsuit."

                                --Bill Gates

Related:

Yahoo Betrays Free Speech

,----[ Quote ]
| For a company that ostensibly believes in the Internet’s liberating power,
| Yahoo has a gallingly backward understanding of the value of free expression.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/opinion/02sun2.html?_r=1&th&emc=th&oref=slogin

Yahoo! Answers is rejecting Open-Source options in answers

,----[ Quote ]
| Someone got a computer from a friend that has some serious problems
| with Windows. S/he has none of the disks (XP or restore) and was
| asking for recommendations.
|
| [...]
|
| How is recommending freely available and legal alternatives abuse?
| ImgBurn is also a perfectly legal program, so are Ubuntu and Kubuntu
| (they're Linux).
`----

http://amandakerik.wordpress.com/2007/04/23/yahoo-answers-is-rejecting-open-source-options-in-answers/
http://tinyurl.com/ywglv7

Yahoo settles lawsuit with jailed Chinese journalists

,----[ Quote ]
| Smith sponsored the Global Online Freedom Act of 2007, which would prohibit
| U.S. Internet companies from cooperating with repressive regimes on censoring
| the Internet and using Internet user account data to track down and punish
| pro-democracy activists.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9815950-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yahoo Settles With Imprisoned Chinese Journalists

,----[ Quote ]
| Terms of the deal are secret, but Yahoo has reached settlements with two
| Chinese journalists who were arrested based on information the company
| provided to the ruling Communist government.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/13/2031243&from=rss

Report: Yahoo exec apologizes to U.S. lawmakers on China

,----[ Quote ]
| A senior executive at Yahoo has apologized for misleading U.S. lawmakers on
| the company's cooperation with a request by China for details on a journalist
| who was later jailed, The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday in its
| online edition.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6216579.html

Yahoo helped China falsely imprison dissident

..----[ Quote ]
| U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Tom Lantos, D-Calif.,
| said on Oct. 16 Yahoo misled his panel at a 2006 hearing about the
| company's role in providing the Chinese government with information
| that sent journalist Shi Tao to jail for a decade.
|
| [...]
|
| "Our committee has established that Yahoo provided false
| information to Congress in early 2006," Lantos said in a statement.
| "We want to clarify how that happened, and to hold the company to
| account for its actions both before and after its testimony proved
| untrue."
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2199220,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
| that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
| bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
| organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/yahoo_and_microsoft_ink_chinese_blogging_pact/

Microsoft, Yahoo Tailor Ads To Users' Behavior

,----[ Quote ]
| Google will remain on the sidelines — at least for now. But its Web portal
| rivals are stepping up their efforts to use behavioral targeting to make
| display, or banner, ads more relevant to Web site visitors.
`----

http://investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&issue=20070823

Yahoo in China human rights case

,----[ Quote ]
| A human rights group in the US is suing Yahoo for alleged complicity in
| rights abuses and acts of torture in China.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6966116.stm

Chinese Internet dissident committed to mental hospital

,----[ Quote ]
| "It is not acceptable that Chinese authorities use such methods to silence
| citizens who have merely peacefully voiced their opinions", expressed the
| organisation in an announcement. Apparently authorities have not abandoned
| the practice of punishing those who have exposed the abuse of power and
| defied censorship by compulsorily committing them to mental institutions.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94864/from/rss09
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Posted & Blogged.

> Yahoo! censoring open source to buddy up to Microsoft? Not likely

If, as Matt suggests, this censorship was just a "mistake", then it's
one Yahoo! has made repeatedly.

As to the assertion that, because Yahoo! uses Open Source software, that
somehow makes them immune to acting against the better interests of
GNU/Linux ... well how about Novell, Xandros, TurboLinux and Linspire?

Is Yahoo!'s anti-Linux behaviour a matter of corporate policy, or merely
the act of a few Microsoft fanboys working as moderators on their
Answers service?

I don't know; only Yahoo! can answer that question.

It doesn't alter the results for those who are censored though, does it?

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html
`----

 11:53:09 up 35 days,  9:28,  3 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.19, 0.22
0
spam95 (5695)
1/25/2008 11:53:23 AM
____/ [H]omer on Friday 25 January 2008 11:53 : \____

> Posted & Blogged.

>> Yahoo! censoring open source to buddy up to Microsoft? Not likely
>
> If, as Matt suggests, this censorship was just a "mistake", then it's
> one Yahoo! has made repeatedly.
>
> As to the assertion that, because Yahoo! uses Open Source software, that
> somehow makes them immune to acting against the better interests of
> GNU/Linux ... well how about Novell, Xandros, TurboLinux and Linspire?
>
> Is Yahoo!'s anti-Linux behaviour a matter of corporate policy, or merely
> the act of a few Microsoft fanboys working as moderators on their
> Answers service?
>
> I don't know; only Yahoo! can answer that question.
>
> It doesn't alter the results for those who are censored though, does it?

Yes, other incidents were reported here in COLA (at least two independent
ones). Microsoft is apparently doing the same thing with search results (see
the latest from the Microsoft Blog), even over at Google. Search engine
control is information and media control, so it's important to keep control
decentralised. I hope Wikia matures...

--
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 14:20:02 up 1 day, 14 min,  3 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.89, 1.63
newsgroups3 (79677)
1/25/2008 2:22:45 PM
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:22:45 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Yes, other incidents were reported here in COLA (at least two independent
> ones). Microsoft is apparently doing the same thing with search results (see
> the latest from the Microsoft Blog), even over at Google. Search engine
> control is information and media control, so it's important to keep control
> decentralised. I hope Wikia matures...

The media has been biased for years and nothing is going to change that.

As for Wikkia are you kidding?
There is a reason why using sources from wikis is not allowed at the high
school or University level.

Not suprising you didn't know that as you seem to be spending most of your
time fresher fluffing and spamming.

You guys need to get out more and take a peek at the real world.
0
brick.n.straw (6130)