[News] ASUS Sub-notebooks to Run GNU/Linux (Because "It's Better with Linux")

Asus to Launch Android-based Smartbook Next Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus is planning on launching a super cheap
| 'smartbook' in the first quarter of 2010 and
| word on the street is that the machine will
| run Google's Android OS.
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Asus-Android-Netbook-Smartbook,8962.html

Recent:

Asustek opens curtain on desktop 'supercomputer'

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek Computer, known by gearheads for its
| Asus brand motherboards, is probably best known
| these days to consumers as the originator of
| the Linux-based netbook, the Eee PC. The
| ESC1000 personal super was unveiled at an event
| in Taipei today, but it is not yet ready for
| sale. The ESC1000 was mischaracterized in the
| trade press and blogosphere as a supercomputer.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/27/asustek_esc1000_baby_super/

Asus Claims to Have First USB 3.0 Motherboard

Asus Eee PC 1008HA could make return to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no word on the type of distribution of
| the OS, but with the move back to Linux as some
| might perceive it to be might very well be the
| start of moving back to SSDs instead of hard
| drives for netbooks.
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/10/asus_eee_pc_2008ha_could_make_return_to_linux.html

Asus Eee PC 1008HA Linux source code now available

,----[ Quote ]
| But this weekend Asus did something
| interesting. The company posted Linux source
| code for the Asus Eee PC 1008HA. In fact,
| there are 5 different downloads, ranging in
| size 299Mb to 488MB. I have no idea what the
| difference is between one and the other, and
| I’m not entirely sure what’s contained in the
| files yet. But if I had to guess, I’d say that
| Asus is preparing to launch a version of the
| Eee PC 1008HA that runs Moblin Linux.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/10/asus-eee-pc-1008ha-linux-source-code-now-available.html

Whither Goest Thou, ASUS?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, we find they list GNU/Linux as an OS for
| the new eeePC 1008HA Clamshell. They also have
| a download for the source code.
|
| What are you doing ASUS? Has the deal with M$
| expired? Is GNU/Linux from the competition
| eating your lunch? Could this be hard
| bargaining before “7″?
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2009/10/13/whither-goest-thou-asus/

PR disaster alert: Asus attacks on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| As the articles here and here as well as the discussion here point out,
| leaving Linux is not only a bad move from a technical point of view but the
| way it was done also angered and insulted members of the Linux community,
| many of which are your customers. Guess what? They are not you consumers
| anymore. Worse, these are usually people responsible for purchasing the
| computing equipment for their families or their companies, so the loss goes
| much deeper than just a few Linux users. Let's look at a few chosen comments
| from the articles above....
`----

http://www.tech-no-media.com/2009/06/why-asus-linux-insult-is-pr-disaster.html

Asus Eee and the 'It's Better with Windows' Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| However, despite the first flurry of rumors that the campaign was a hoax,
| Asus has admitted that the campaign is legitimate. In a way, the news is a
| relief. For those of us who have looked askance at Microsoft's sponsoring of
| open source conferences and efforts to create its own open source ecosystem,
| the It's Better with Windows site is a return to the familiar. At least when
| Microsoft is spinning half-truths about free and open source software (FOSS),
| you can be in no doubt where everybody stands.
|
| The site is very much a classic piece of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt),
| the likes of which we may never see again as Microsoft becomes more subtle in
| its struggle to survive in a market where FOSS is a player.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3822996

Is Microsoft ‘Buying-Off’ Linux Netbook Vendors? [Updated]

,----[ Quote ]
| This whole thing reminds me of the stupid and cringe-worthy adverts you see
| in the press where Vendor X says that they “Recommend Proprietary OS Home
| Premium”. Do they hell. Do you think they really believe that? Or do you
| think they have been given incentives to say so? I often wonder if there
| could be a case here with the Trades Description Act (if that still exists).
| IANAL so don’t really know but it seems as though many vendors’ adverts are
| not being totally honest when they make these recommendations. It’s bloody
| obvious they are being paid in some form or another to say that.
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/06/02/is-microsoft-buying-off-linux-netbook-vendors/

Related:

More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
| the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
| — or, maybe we’ll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
| order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoft’s pressure.
|
| The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoft’s
| pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/more_evidence_microsoft_tying_up_the_asus_eeepc

EXCLUSIVE: ASUS Speaks on the EEE PC

,----[ Quote ]
| TechTree: States like Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka promote the Linux
| operating system in its education and government sectors. Will ASUS roll out
| Linux alternatives for the new 904HD and 1000H models in India?
|
| Benson Lin: Currently, we're closely tied up with Microsoft and the EEE PC
| with Windows XP would be available to the Indian market.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/EXCLUSIVE_ASUS_Speaks_on_the_EEE_PC/551-91486-581.html

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

[News] Mainstream News Coverage About GNU/Linux at Schools, "Linux Against Poverty" Collects PCs

[News] Microsoft's News Channel Says Many Sub-notebooks Run GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Still "ALIVE and WELL!" on Sub-notebooks

Linux on ARM "one of Linux's largest successes"

[News] "Over Half of Virtutech's Customers Run Simics on Linux"

[News] "Linux is the 'Perfect Match' for India's Requirement"
Delhi VAR Evolves Training Capsule for Linux Usage ,----[ Quote ] | He said Linux is the 'perfect match' for India's requirement and hastened to | add that having developed the products and services, the challenge now is to | take it to growing number of users and growing the incoming revenue. `---- http://www.channeltimes.com/India/News/Delhi_VAR_Evolves_Training_Capsule_for_Linux_Usage/551-83436-741.html http://tinyurl.com/3x9972 Related: Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam ,----[ Quote ] | The Director of Public Instruction (DPI) has issued orders...

Web resources about - [News] ASUS Sub-notebooks to Run GNU/Linux (Because "It's Better with Linux") - comp.os.linux.advocacy