[News] BOSS Linux 2.0 Released, Kaella (Linux Live DVD from France) Reaches 3.2

BOSS 2.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally our Indian Version of GNU/Linux is released on 17th September 2007 in
| the Connect 2007 program.
`----

http://bosslinux.in/boss-release

Just released and the site is barely responsive. Days ago, BOSS Linux was made
part of mandatory education in India (or parts of it).

Kaella 3.2DVD finale

,----[ Quote ]
| Aucun bug majeur n'ayant été trouvé dans la 3.2RC1, elle devient la finale.
`----

http://kaella.linux-azur.org/

Recent:

BOSS in Linux from C-DAC

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS Linux was made specifically for the Indian environment, it consists of a
| pleasing desktop environment coupled with Indian language support and other
| packages that are most relevant for use in the government domain.
`----

http://youvibe.blogspot.com/2007/09/boss-in-linux-from-c-dac.html

BOSS Linux makes new users feel at home

,----[ Quote ]
| First-time Linux users should find BOSS pretty usable; its selection of
| applications and ability to work with Bluetooth devices, mount other
| partitions on the disk, and share files across the network, out of the box,
| make it a good distro for first-time Linux users.
`----

http://www.linux.com/articles/60764

Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam

,----[ Quote ]
| The Director of Public Instruction (DPI) has issued orders making free
| software compulsory. It says Linux Operating System should be used for IT
| education in eighth, ninth and tenth standards.
|
| [...]
|
| For the purpose, fully Linuxbased text books have been prepared for standard
| X and Linux-based supplementary text books have been prepared for standard
| VIII and standard IX.
`----

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IEO20070916044016&Page=O&Headline=Free+software+made+mandatory%3A+IT+practicals+of+SSLC+Exam&Title=Thiruvananthapuram&Topic=0
http://tinyurl.com/34mrdp

Related:

BOSS Tarang 1.1 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| BOSS Linux, based in India, is trying to be the first Linux
| distribution trying to support all official languages of India.
| It does also support English which is also being used more in
| that country.
`----

http://gnuman.com/distros/boss_tarang_1.1_review.html

Red Hat in talks with states for open source solution

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source software business is gaining momentum in the country with
| governments keen on adopting this technology.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Red_Hat_in_talks_with_states_for_open_source_solution/rssarticleshow/2283777.cms

Time for a switch?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is powerful, easy to use and free. Naturally, it’s becoming the
| Operating System of choice for many internet aficionados.
`----

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Pune_Times/Time_for_a_switch/articleshow/2257068.cms

Linux becoming visible on desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| The Penguin (named Tux) is finally making inroads as an operating system (OS)
| on desktops too. While it has an over 20 per cent market share when we speak
| of servers in India, the free OS called Linux has just around 5 per cent
| market share in the country when it comes to desktops – the lion’s share
| going to Microsoft Windows.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=293093&leftnm=8&subLeft=0&chkFlg=

Open Source - An Unstoppable Giant

,----[ Quote ]
| Presently, surfing the internet portal, checking bank balance online, booking
| railway tickets, searching jobs, logging in to a matrimonial site, or paying
| insurance premiums is often done by the application of open source Linux
| operating system.
`----

http://www.cxotoday.com/India/News/Open-Source_-_An_Unstoppable_Giant/551-82455-911.html

Contest for students to hit upon real life solutions

| The ‘Code for Freedom’ event, whose title derived from the independent
| spirit emblematic of the open source campaign, is aimed at involving
| students of at least 100 recognised colleges and universities.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/19/stories/2007081953600500.htm

Open Source and the SMB

,----[ Quote ]
| SMBs are getting attracted towards Linux-based servers. Menon says that over
| 70 percent of customers plan to implement Linux-based solutions in some
| manner in the next two years, and the awareness of Linux and its benefits are
| high in the SMB segment. He says, “Less restrictive licensing policies and
| the ability to bundle all the bits and pieces into one comprehensive package,
| instead of first selling the OS, and then charging for access licences and
| every small tool and add on facility is something that SMBs appreciate.”
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20070730/opensource01.shtml

PC resellers strike against Microsoft in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Stop harassment over piracy or we move to Linux...
|
| [...]
|
| "We have been approached by dealers in other states who are also
| being harassed by Microsoft," Randeri said. "If Microsoft does
| not cooperate, we will tell our dealers to migrate to Linux."
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/it-business/supplier-relations/news/index.cfm?newsid=3114

Laptop training for T. Nadu IAS officers

,----[ Quote ]
| They were given orientation in Suse Linux and Windows XP operating
| systems, since the laptop computers were loaded with them and Suse
| Linum operating system was a new technology, an official press
| release here said.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/004200707052027.htm

ELCOT's success story of Suse linux migration

,----[ Quote ]
| Electronic Corporation of TamilNadu, India is the Information Technology
| arm of Government of TamilNadu, India. ELCOT is a fully owned Government
| Company. ELCOT migrated all its operations to suse linux OS within a
| period of 12 months. This video shares the success story of ELCOT in
| the suse linux migration (June 2007)
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_g72GcaIdc
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

> Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam

"Free software made mandatory" -  Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in
this?

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ofc. Michael Clayton
<clayton@moon.net>
 wrote
on Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:47:33 -0400
<46f2d068$0$23395$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam
>
> "Free software made mandatory" -  Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in
> this?

True.  However, there's also the little question as to how
to properly validate software so that it meets standards.

How bad is it out there?

http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/

Opera passes.  IE 6 bombs.  Firefox mangles.  Dillo and
Lynx don't even understand the question (in their defense,
they weren't designed to).

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Windows.  Because it's not a question of if.
It's a question of when.

ewill5 (11075)
9/20/2007 9:12:36 PM
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ofc. Michael Clayton
> <clayton@moon.net>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:47:33 -0400
> <46f2d068$0$23395$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
>>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam
>>
>> "Free software made mandatory" -  Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in
>> this?
>>

> True.  However, there's also the little question as to how
> to properly validate software so that it meets standards.
>
> How bad is it out there?
>
> http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
>
> Opera passes.  IE 6 bombs.  Firefox mangles.  Dillo and
> Lynx don't even understand the question (in their defense,
> they weren't designed to).

Konqueror passes (and was in fact one of the first browsers to pass)
--
Who the fuck is General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

0
Peter.Koehlmann (13228)
9/20/2007 9:40:29 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, Ofc. Michael Clayton belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam
>
> "Free software made mandatory" -  Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in
> this?

No.  We don't want you spending money, especially on monopoly software.
We also don't want the legal strings that come with monopoly software.
So, please, free software only.

No hypocrisy there.

--
Tux rox!
0
<fcupcd$a3m$00$1@news.t-online.com>:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ofc. Michael Clayton
>> <clayton@moon.net>
>>  wrote
>> on Thu, 20 Sep 2007 16:47:33 -0400
>> <46f2d068$0$23395$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:
>>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

>>> "Free software made mandatory" -  Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in
>>> this?
>>>

>> True.  However, there's also the little question as to how
>> to properly validate software so that it meets standards.
>>
>> How bad is it out there?
>>
>> http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid2/
>>
>> Opera passes.  IE 6 bombs.  Firefox mangles.  Dillo and
>> Lynx don't even understand the question (in their defense,
>> they weren't designed to).
>>

> Konqueror passes (and was in fact one of the first browsers to pass)

Ye gods, forgot all about him.  I've been running Gnome
too long.  :-)

Passes with flying colors, except that his head gets
shaved for some reason if I shrink the window too much.
Turns out Opera has a similar problem.

So much for Microsoft "innovation"...unless it includes
munging up standard (if highly contrived for the purposes
of testing) web pages.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Windows.  Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
(1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".

ewill5 (11075)
9/20/2007 10:31:10 PM
"Linonut" <linonut@be11south.net> wrote in message
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ofc. Michael Clayton belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam
>>
>> "Free software made mandatory" -  Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in
>> this?
>
> No.  We don't want you spending money, especially on monopoly software.
> We also don't want the legal strings that come with monopoly software.
> So, please, free software only.
>
> No hypocrisy there.

So you think it's not hypocrisy for proponents of *"freedom"* to mandate the
use of a certain product or OS? Sounds like the "free elections" over in
Russia. "You are free to vote for anyone you want as long as you vote for
Boris."

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ofc. Michael Clayton
<clayton@moon.net>
 wrote
on Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:16:02 -0400
<46f3d435$0$26372$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>:

> "Linonut" <linonut@be11south.net> wrote in message
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ofc. Michael Clayton belched out this bit o'
>> wisdom:
>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

>>> "Free software made mandatory" -  Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in
>>> this?
>>
>> No.  We don't want you spending money, especially on monopoly software.
>> We also don't want the legal strings that come with monopoly software.
>> So, please, free software only.
>>
>> No hypocrisy there.
>
> So you think it's not hypocrisy for proponents of *"freedom"* to mandate the
> use of a certain product or OS? Sounds like the "free elections" over in
> Russia. "You are free to vote for anyone you want as long as you vote for
> Boris."

As long as Microsoft has the option to force everyone to
use Microsoft as well.  After all, it's their freedom that
is being abridged by "restriction-to-freeware" efforts.

:-)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Windows Vista.  It'll Fix Everything(tm).

ewill5 (11075)
9/21/2007 4:53:16 PM
After takin' a swig o' grog, Ofc. Michael Clayton belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> "Linonut" <linonut@be11south.net> wrote in message
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Ofc. Michael Clayton belched out this bit o'
>> wisdom:
>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

>>> "Free software made mandatory" -  Does anyone else see the hypocrisy in
>>> this?
>>
>> No.  We don't want you spending money, especially on monopoly software.
>> We also don't want the legal strings that come with monopoly software.
>> So, please, free software only.
>>
>> No hypocrisy there.
>
> So you think it's not hypocrisy for proponents of *"freedom"* to mandate the
> use of a certain product or OS? Sounds like the "free elections" over in
> Russia. "You are free to vote for anyone you want as long as you vote for
> Boris."

Sorry dude.  Basic reading comprehension and thinking skills are
required to play.  Buh bye!

--
Tux rox!
0