[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications

Because penguins need to play too.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular
| misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true.
| There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of
| them have been ported to Windows too.
|
| [...]
|
| There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best
| ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767

Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer

,----[ Quote ]
| 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access
| to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux.
`----

http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver

Related:

LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion

,----[ Quote ]
| The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th)
| podcast, and said to be about 80% completed.
`----

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914

TO: Crossfire 1.5 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's
| awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death
| world of counterterrorism.
`----

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913

Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels

,----[ Quote ]
| SuperGamer is a modified version of PCLinuxOS - one that contains lots and
| lots of neat games. To name a few:
|
|     * America's Army
|     * Cube
|     * Doom 3
|     * Enemy Territory
|     * ...
`----

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=737

Vista breaks 90% of games, claims game publisher

,----[ Quote ]
| Alex St. John, chief executive of game publisher WildTangent, today
| blasted his former employer for a half-baked and negligent way of
| treating the majority of game publishers - small development studios
| and individual programmers of casual games: St. John claims that at
| least nine out of ten games do not work with Vista.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/30/vista_games/

Windows Vista and casual games: the woe starts now

,----[ Quote ]
| Casual game company alleges the security of Microsoft's new
| OS goes to far and stifles web-based games.
`----

http://gaming.monstersandcritics.com/pc/news/article_1253720.php/Windows_Vista_and_casual_games_the_woe_starts_now
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Linux victim can't take it anymore: concedes Windows is most appropriate if you don't want to fight your Linux crapware
"I used to recommend Linux to novice computers users like my parents. After having to solve too many broken updates with Ubuntu I had to finally concede that Windows is the most appropriate environment for a user that doesn't want to have to fight with their OS. There are just far too many obvious and critical bugs in Ubuntu to recommend it to an inexperienced user without a strong hacker ethic. While I still prefer using Linux over Windows as a software developer, I find myself beginning to lose more and more patience with Ubuntu with every new release. When will ...

can't run a built application because it can't find Run-Time engine
Let's start at the begining.... everything was working fine, and then I started getting an error 2 (memory is full) while compiling any application.  I couldn't resolve the issue but the same applications would compile on another machine, so I uninstalled every National Instrument software from Control Panel (add remove programs), and deleted the c:\Program Files\National Instruments directory.  I then reinstall the Labview 8.0 Prof Dev system,  and performed the labview 8.0.1 upgrade.  I can now open and compile applications,  but ...

[News] Debian Runs Windows Programs Also (Windows Can't Run Linux Programs)

Windows can't see Apache on Linux machine when in one location, can in other. Linux PC can see server in both locations.
We have two offices A and B, connected by kilostream. We have a Linux box in location A, running Mandrake 9 and the Apache web server. We have some Linux boxes in location B, and loads of Windows machines. The problem is that whenever a Windows box is in location B, it can't see any pages served up by the Linux based web server in A. It can ping it, but if you telnet to port 80 from the Windows machine you get nothing back. If I pick up the Windows machine, and transport it to location A, plug it into the network, all works OK. At the moment I'm using SQUID on a Linux box in locat...

[News] Chinese Laptops Run GNU/Linux, Can't Run Windows

[News] Op/Ed: Microsoft Won't/Can't Assault Linux
The fair-weather "friends of Linux" ,----[ Quote ] | I just finished reading John Carroll's article Why Microsoft won't | assault Linux and while I agree with his conclusion, I don't agree | with his reasoning. John opens up suggesting that a "full legal | assault" on Linux would be self-defeating. I don't think so | but I do think that filing suit against RedHat would be an | unnecessary waste of Microsoft's time and money. | | I would like to dispense with his first point: Patents cut both | ways. While this is certainly true, John assumes that there are | powerful "friends of Linux" who would counter-sue Microsoft in a | heartbeat if Microsoft were to use it's patents against RedHat and | he reminds us that: Nobody has more patents than IBM. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3924 ...

[News] A Dozen Things you Can't Do in Windows (But Can Do in GNU/Linux)
Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows. ,----[ Quote ] | # Update every single piece of software on my system with a single | action... | | # Update nearly everything on my computer without a reboot... | | # Keep my system secure without software that consumes my system resources, | requires my time, and frequently nags me... | | # Run an entire operating system for free without pirating software, | and without breaking the law... | | # Take my settings with me where ever I go... | | # Run Internet Explorer 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, and 7.0 on the same desktop... | | # Un...

[News] Why People Who Don't Use GNU/Linux Can't Understand Freedom

[News] Linux... Because You Can't Really Buy Vista or OS X (You Can Rent Them Only)
Did you just buy a copy of VISTA? well, its not yours. ,----[ Quote ] | What has happened to consumer rights? We have signed them all away (myself | included). Its like buying a car , and having the manufacturer tell you that | you cannot drive it here or there and you can not let your Kids drive it | because you bought it, and you can not change the color because we (the car | company ) think it looks better in green. What a load of B*&s!*t. When was | the last time you actually took the time to read the terms and conditions on | any software you recently bought? in fact we trust t...

[News] Poor Windows Can't Do Online Banking, GNU/Linux Sure Can

[News] [Linux] Linux Users Can't Be Counted; Early Peek at Fedora 7
Ways to understand the Linux Users - Popcon and Smolt ,----[ Quote ] | The Linux user is mainly an unknown species: since you can download | your distribution anonymously and everywhere the distributors know | almost nothing about their userbase. Due to ktorrent and ftp mirrors | even the user numbers are rough estimations at best. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/05/27/ways-to-understand-the-linux-users-popcon-and-smolt/ There's also this new one from the same guy: Fedora 7 Moonshine - first impressions ,----[ Quote ] | Fedora 7 comes along with a pretty impressive set of c...

[News] Linux Users Tries Windows for a Week, Can't Stand It
A week with Windows ,----[ Quote ] | I'm writing this part as therapy, and part talking point, in the hope | someone will comment and explain why these things are the way they are. `---- http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/a_week_with_windows A realistic situation in which a Linux-only user faces Windows. Been there myself, and it was appalling. ...

SARCASTIC POST: Linux Can't Run This 'Killer' App -- WHY ?!?
<sarcasm and irony> After 2 solid years of Linvocacy -- I have met my match... This critical piece of software: http://www.virtuagirls.com/ DOES NOT RUN ON LINUX !?!!? Only Windos users can: Run Virtual Girl 2, "a shareware program featuring dancers on your desktop. They say hi in the morning, remind you of your appointments and dance for you whenever you want them to. We mean right on the desktop. dancers basically live on the tool bar. They are in front of any other application and you can enjoy them while using your computer normally." Linux will never catch up to W...

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

[News] Financial 'Analysts' Still Can't Understand Linux, Virtualisation
Is Virtualization Just Another Buzzword? ,----[ Quote ] | The other problem is that given that virtualization is such a hot buzzword, | it is being thrown into the IT investment research mix in ways that make | entirely no sense at all technically. `---- http://seekingalpha.com/article/48555-is-virtualization-just-another-buzzword?source=yahoo You might as well guess that some people, who type away on their Windows XP PC, cannot grasp the fact that their CPU is idle most of the time and memory is unused. Virtualisation will reach the desktop too (thin-clients or meshed computing likely)...

Linux users, Windows users, and Mac users... Can't we all just get along?
Anyone who opposes an idea is a retard. Anyone who uses a different OS is a retard. If someone has an opinion, he is a retard. If someone points out anything about Microsoft he/she is a retard. If anyone thinks linux is good, he/she is a retard. This more or less sums up the vast majority of posts in this group, with only about 1 in ten messages actually thought out. For those linux users, I like linux myself, but its slightly hypocritical to say that Microsoft kills freedom, and then, whenever someone says anything resembling anti-linux, you murder their opinions with "You're a moron!" or "You are an idiot" Meanwhile tons of people say this is better, or that is better, when you have no valid arguments, and probably haven't even tried the other software. Come on People, less flaming, more discussion... Magnoble wrote: > Come on People, less flaming, more discussion... You are assuming a rationale world where reasonable arguments result in rationale behavior. Yet, Linux advocates argue well against Windows and Macs time and time again and yet are met with the unstoppable force of money and marketing clout. Why bother? At best all we can do is hit the enemy with enough counter flak to leave him speechless. begin Error log for Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:25:43 -0800 - Paul Hovnanian P.E. caused a page fault at address <42157C57.9B16668B@Hovnanian.com>, details as follows... >> For those linux users, I like linux myself, but ...

Maple9 Can't run, can't re-install
-I installed the maple-9 on laptop without any problem. But when I run it, nothing happens. -I tried to uninstall it with start->settings->control panel->add/remove program->maple9, the "add/remove program" freeze (for long--------). All other programs still work at that time (computer is not froozen). -I tried to shut down the computer, it needs to 'end' the 'un-installation' -I tried to re-install the maple9 from the original CD, nothing happens. -With 'autorun', it runs a few seconds and nothing happens. -Tried to installed it ...

Could it be? Something Windows can do but Linux can't?
In general, most things can be done on either OS with varying degrees of success. And certainly, this isn't something that couldn't be done, but for now AFAICT isn't. http://www.maxivista.com/ Basically, this allows you to treat a secondary computer, such as a laptop, as an additional monitor for your desktop. Note that this is very different from simply running apps remotely on the second computer, this is actually exporting a "virtual" display (ala RDP or VNC) so that you can, for example, drag a window from one computer to the other. I'm asking honestly here, ...

[News] Google's OEM Success with Linux Shows Why Microsoft+Their Analysts Can't Help FUDing Chrome OS

[ace-users] [tao-users] Linux can't communicate with Windows
TAO VERSION: 1.4.1 ACE VERSION: 5.4.1 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: COMPILER & IDE: Server Machine: Window 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195) INTEL CPU 800M/256MEM winsock.dll (3.10.0.103) ws2_32.dll (5.0.2195.6601) #include "ace/config-win32.h" MS VC++.NET Version 7.1.3091 Client Machine: Red Hat Linux 8.0 INTEL CPU 800M/256MEM #include "ace/config-linux.h" gcc 3.2 AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: BiDirPolicy/IORTable DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: COMPILATI...

RE: [ace-users] [tao-users] Linux can't communicate with Windows
Hi, > TAO VERSION: 1.4.1 > ACE VERSION: 5.4.1 Thanks for using the PRF form > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: > COMPILER & IDE: > Server Machine: > Window 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195) > INTEL CPU 800M/256MEM > winsock.dll (3.10.0.103) > ws2_32.dll (5.0.2195.6601) > > #include "ace/config-win32.h" > > MS VC++.NET Version 7.1.3091 > > Client Machine: > Red Hat Linux 8.0 > INTEL CPU 800M/256MEM > > #include "ace/config-linux.h&quo...

OS X
after a bit of reading, it looks like I did a veeeeery shtupid thing... (I'm copying my post to this newsgroup, as the alt.sys.mac.newuser-help group didn't look quite as highly-trafficked...) anyways, here's what I did... ----------------------------------- in an effort to help the owner of a nice shiny new eMac 'clean up' their personal folder, I moved a few items... including the Library folder! it appears.... correct me if I'm wrong... that Mac OS X then created a NEW library... so we restarted it, and all the Quicken data, dialup info, (etc.) was gone... so we ...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

Windows "routing" server separating two subnets
Gurus, I have a small lab with a bunch of servers setup on two different subnets, 192.168.1.1 is the gateway for one and 172.16.1.1 is the gateway for the other. Installed on my Router (Windows Server with three NICs - I know, please don't comment on this, it's is for learning purposes, not production), the third NIC is the gateway to the Internet. What works: The Router server can reach the Internet as well as the computers in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet (the first subnet built). What's broken: The computers on the 172.16.1.0/16 subnet cannot get to the Inter...

Web resources about - [News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications - comp.os.linux.advocacy

NZ doctor Alan Kenny flooded with 'trash' applications for $370k job
The New Zealand GP who couldn't find a doctor to take up a $NZ400,000 ($370,000) position at his practice has been inundated with "trash" applicants ...

NZ doctor Alan Kenny flooded with 'trash' applications for $370k job
The New Zealand GP who couldn't find a doctor to take up a $NZ400,000 ($370,000) position at his practice has been inundated with &quot;trash&quot; ...

Patent application shows how Apple Watch could measure ambient sound to adjust volume of iPhone alerts ...
iPhones could in future automatically sound louder or quieter notification alerts depending on the level of background noise. A patent application ...

NASA just smashed its record for astronaut applications—18,000+
... excitement about the future of NASA, with the space shuttle soon to debut, was palpable. So when the space agency called for astronaut applications, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Drive Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 8.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

Refinances pushes mortgage applications 8.2% higher
The lower interest rates plunge boosted refinance volume to its highest level in over a year.

European Central Bank Exploring Blockchain Tech Applications
In a new report, the European Central Bank (ECB) has said it is investigating blockchain use within its securities and payments settlement systems. ...

Announcing Blockstack: Decentralized DNS and Identity for Blockchain Applications
The blockchain holds great promise for developing decentralized protocols and applications such as marketplaces (e.g., openbazaar ), registries ...

ARM unveils Cortex-A32 processor for embedded and IoT applications
ARM has announced the Cortex-A32 processor IP designed for 32-bit embedded and IoT applications.