[News] BSD to a Linux User, Linux to a BSD User

BSD vs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I run FreeBSD on my computers. A lot of my friends run Linux, or at least
| one of the distributions of it. Naturally, then, we agree that a
| Unix-style operating system is the right choice, but we disagree on
| which to use.
|
| [...]
|
| BSD is designed. Linux is grown. Perhaps that's the only succinct way
| to describe it, and possibly the most correct.
`----

http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> BSD vs Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I run FreeBSD on my computers. A lot of my friends run Linux, or at least
> | one of the distributions of it. Naturally, then, we agree that a
> | Unix-style operating system is the right choice, but we disagree on
> | which to use.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | BSD is designed. Linux is grown. Perhaps that's the only succinct way
> | to describe it, and possibly the most correct.
> `----
>
> http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

As a Linux user who has given FreeBSD an extended trial in the past (~3
months as the sole OS on my box), I gotta say that this pretty much
gets it down.

--
"Always do the right thing: It will delight /  Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanies
some and astound the rest" - Mark Twain    / Psychotronic protection, low prices
"Mathew P." <Mathew@COLA.com> writes:

> On 2006-09-12, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> BSD vs Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| I run FreeBSD on my computers. A lot of my friends run Linux, or at least
>>| one of the distributions of it. Naturally, then, we agree that a
>>| Unix-style operating system is the right choice, but we disagree on
>>| which to use.
>>|
>>| [...]
>>|
>>| BSD is designed. Linux is grown. Perhaps that's the only succinct way
>>| to describe it, and possibly the most correct.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php
>
> Follow some of those page links, Roy. You may find it to be a bit more
> unobjective than it initially presents.

In what way? The author clearly explains his pro BSD stance. Or did I
miss some links?

--
Do not cut switchbacks.
0
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> BSD vs Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I run FreeBSD on my computers. A lot of my friends run Linux, or at
> | least one of the distributions of it. Naturally, then, we agree that a
> | Unix-style operating system is the right choice, but we disagree on
> | which to use.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | BSD is designed. Linux is grown. Perhaps that's the only succinct way
> | to describe it, and possibly the most correct.
> `----
>
> http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

There is a fundamental problem with BSD.
BSD becomes less free as time goes by unlike GPL'd software.

Don't do BSD, stick to GPL'd code.

7 wrote:

> There is a fundamental problem with BSD.
> BSD becomes less free as time goes by unlike GPL'd software.
>
> Don't do BSD, stick to GPL'd code.

Actually, in the twenty-someodd years of Berkeley Unix/BSD, the level
of freedom has pretty much stayed the same (or risen slightly due to
license relaxations and the lack of need for an AT&T source license).
I'd like to know how this is a fundamental problem, but I guess it
would break the whole "four legs good, two legs bad" thing you've got
going on for yourself.