[News] Chrome on GNU/Linux "Ridiculously Faster" Than on Mac OS X and Windows

Why is Linux Chrome so fast?

,----[ Quote ]
| My three laptops have relatively comparable
| hardware and run Chrome on Windows, Mac,
| and Linux respectively.  The Linux version
| of Chrome feels ridiculously faster than
| Windows and Mac.  Do we understand why this
| is?  Can we make Windows and Mac feel that
| fast too?
|
| General observations:
|
| 1) Scroll performance is extremely good.
| Even on Gmail, I can only get the mouse to
| lead the scroll bar by a dozen pixels.  On
| Slashdot, it doesn't even look like I can
| do that.
|
| 2) Tab creation is very fast.  Maybe the
| zygote is helping here?  Can we pre-render
| the NTP on other platforms?
|
| 3) Startup time is faster than calculator.
`----

http://groups.google.com/group/chromium-dev/browse_thread/thread/d86faf0eff41b998

Chrome 4.0 gets beta release

,----[ Quote ]
| More people will get a chance to try out
| bookmark synchronization with Monday's
| release of a beta version of Google Chrome
| for Windows.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-359925.html

Chrome Gains Speed, “Borrowed” Features

,----[ Quote ]
| I know that the JavaScript engine of Opera
| is being overhauled; something there was
| not time to do before the release of
| version 10. When that is added, it will be
| interesting to see how Opera fares, as when
| looking now between Opera and Chrome, the
| major delta of performance seems firmly
| rooted in Java Script.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2009/11/03/chrome-gains-speed-borrowed-features/

Is Firefox 4 copying the Google Chrome looks?

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 4 is not due for release for more
| than a year but Mozilla has released a
| mockup of what it will look like.
`----

http://digitizor.com/2009/11/03/is-firefox-4-copying-the-google-chrome-looks/

Recent:

Google Begins Test Phase for Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Four months have gone by since Google announced their
| new, innovative communication solution, Wave. Last week
| was the beginning of its test phase.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Google-Begins-Test-Phase-for-Wave

Linux Google Chrome Shines

,----[ Quote ]
| The Google Chrome browser is still  available as a
| stable build only for Windows, but it turns out that you
| can get a dev build for Linux and also for Mac OSX. I've
| been curious about this browser for a while, so I tried
| out both.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/article.php/3842301/Linux-Google-Chrome-Shines

Google Chrome Artist's Themes Work With Linux Chrome (Sadly does Include the totally pointless Mariah Carey Theme!)

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm please to report that they work fine in Google
| Chrome for Linux, so be sure to take a peek at the hard
| work that's gone into them.
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/10/artists-chrome-themes-linux.html

New Artist Themes for Google Chrome Are Super Slick

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Artist Themes are featured prominently in the
| Chrome Themes Gallery, and you just click an "Apply
| theme" button (from within Chrome) to get them going.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/new-artist-themes-for-google-chrome-are-super-slick

Google Chrome OS on Chinese netbook next month?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/sinobytes/post.htm?id=63014065&scid=rvhm_ms

,----[ Quote ]
| The first devices with the new Linux based Chrome OS from
| Google will probably hit the markets this month. This Operating
| System is mainly targeted at netbooks.
`----

http://eeepc.itrunsonlinux.com/the-news/328-first-devices-with-chrome-os-this-month

Google's Chrome OS might tip up soon

,----[ Quote ]
| CHINA'S SHANZAI IT news website has reported that Google's Chrome
| OS might show up in inexpensive Chinese-made netbooks as early as
| mid-October.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1557169/google-chrome-os-tip-soon

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>|The Linux version of Chrome
>|feels ridiculously faster than Windows and Mac.

I read the Slashdot summary and comments the other day.
It's a fun coincidence, but it's just cherrypicking the data set.
If you looked at the apps that all 3 OSes can run,
you're bound to find one app
whose performance agrees with your prejudices.
0
jeffm_ (1319)
11/4/2009 6:38:48 PM

0
newsgroups3 (79677)
11/5/2009 12:05:15 AM
In article <1411635.fLXkozyCbt@schestowitz.com>,
 Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> Why is Linux Chrome so fast?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | My three laptops have relatively comparable
> | hardware and run Chrome on Windows, Mac,
> | and Linux respectively.  The Linux version
> | of Chrome feels ridiculously faster than
> | Windows and Mac.  Do we understand why this
> | is?  Can we make Windows and Mac feel that
> | fast too?
> |
> | General observations:
> |
> | 1) Scroll performance is extremely good.
> | Even on Gmail, I can only get the mouse to
> | lead the scroll bar by a dozen pixels.  On
> | Slashdot, it doesn't even look like I can
> | do that.
> |
> | 2) Tab creation is very fast.  Maybe the
> | zygote is helping here?  Can we pre-render
> | the NTP on other platforms?
> |
> | 3) Startup time is faster than calculator.
> `----
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/chromium-dev/browse_thread/thread/d86faf0eff41b
> 998

Didn't read far enough down to see the author of that note that his
Linux laptop was a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, and the Windows laptop was a 2.00
GHz Core 2 Duo?

Missed the part where he did a more careful test, and found that Windows
and Linux performance was the same on Slashdot scrolling?

Ignoring the part where he tried a fresh profile on both, and can no
longer see a difference side by side between Windows and Linux on the
tab creation test?

What's next Roy? A "news" item about how machines with more RAM can
allocate bigger data structures?

--
--Tim Smith
0
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 18:38:31 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <1411635.fLXkozyCbt@schestowitz.com>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>> Why is Linux Chrome so fast?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| My three laptops have relatively comparable
>>| hardware and run Chrome on Windows, Mac,
>>| and Linux respectively.  The Linux version
>>| of Chrome feels ridiculously faster than
>>| Windows and Mac.  Do we understand why this
>>| is?  Can we make Windows and Mac feel that
>>| fast too?
>>|
>>| General observations:
>>|
>>| 1) Scroll performance is extremely good.
>>| Even on Gmail, I can only get the mouse to
>>| lead the scroll bar by a dozen pixels.  On
>>| Slashdot, it doesn't even look like I can
>>| do that.
>>|
>>| 2) Tab creation is very fast.  Maybe the
>>| zygote is helping here?  Can we pre-render
>>| the NTP on other platforms?
>>|
>>| 3) Startup time is faster than calculator.
>> `----
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/chromium-dev/browse_thread/thread/d86faf0eff41b
>> 998
>
> Didn't read far enough down to see the author of that note that his
> Linux laptop was a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, and the Windows laptop was a 2.00
> GHz Core 2 Duo?

Read?

You can't possibly believe Spamowitz actually reads the tripe he posts, can
you?

He leaches it from rss feeds and other sources and uses perl scripts to
spam it all over the place.

He is the very definition of a spammer.

 > Missed the part where he did a more careful test, and found that Windows
> and Linux performance was the same on Slashdot scrolling?

That part won't attract hits to his trojan infected sites.

> Ignoring the part where he tried a fresh profile on both, and can no
> longer see a difference side by side between Windows and Linux on the
> tab creation test?

It's just futher proof of Spamowitz's true motives.
He is more interested in lying and website hits than Linux advocacy.

> What's next Roy? A "news" item about how machines with more RAM can
> allocate bigger data structures?

He's not intelligent enough to know what you are talking about.
Tim Smith <reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> In article <1411635.fLXkozyCbt@schestowitz.com>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>> Why is Linux Chrome so fast?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | My three laptops have relatively comparable
>> | hardware and run Chrome on Windows, Mac,
>> | and Linux respectively.  The Linux version
>> | of Chrome feels ridiculously faster than
>> | Windows and Mac.  Do we understand why this
>> | is?  Can we make Windows and Mac feel that
>> | fast too?
>> |
>> | General observations:
>> |
>> | 1) Scroll performance is extremely good.
>> | Even on Gmail, I can only get the mouse to
>> | lead the scroll bar by a dozen pixels.  On
>> | Slashdot, it doesn't even look like I can
>> | do that.
>> |
>> | 2) Tab creation is very fast.  Maybe the
>> | zygote is helping here?  Can we pre-render
>> | the NTP on other platforms?
>> |
>> | 3) Startup time is faster than calculator.
>> `----
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/chromium-dev/browse_thread/thread/d86faf0eff41b
>> 998
>
> Didn't read far enough down to see the author of that note that his
> Linux laptop was a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, and the Windows laptop was a 2.00
> GHz Core 2 Duo?
>
> Missed the part where he did a more careful test, and found that Windows
> and Linux performance was the same on Slashdot scrolling?
>
> Ignoring the part where he tried a fresh profile on both, and can no
> longer see a difference side by side between Windows and Linux on the
> tab creation test?
>
> What's next Roy? A "news" item about how machines with more RAM can
> allocate bigger data structures?

maybe Peter Koehlmann can help him?

According to Peter 64 bit architecture doesn't use more memory for
common apps than the 32 bit equivalents.

I seem to recall you posted a quick script that made him scurry away to
his bunker very quickly.

Only Peter, and his new arse lick Chris, could take a subject about 64
v32 bit and conclude we are somehow dissing Linux.
0
hadronquark (21814)
11/5/2009 6:50:53 AM
John Fuhrer <fuhrer_spam_no_joh@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 18:38:31 -0800, Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> In article <1411635.fLXkozyCbt@schestowitz.com>,
>>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

>>> Why is Linux Chrome so fast?
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/chromium-dev/browse_thread/thread/d86faf0eff41b
>>> 998
>>
>> Didn't read far enough down to see the author of that note that his
>> Linux laptop was a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, and the Windows laptop was a 2.00
>> GHz Core 2 Duo?
>
> Read?
>
> You can't possibly believe Spamowitz actually reads the tripe he posts, can
> you?

He taught his young apprentice, Liarmutt, well. Liarnut rarely (if ever)
reads the things he replies to either. His master taught him well.
0
hadronquark (21814)

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

OS X "blows away" Windows and Linux...
So admits an article in a Linux magazine that I recently picked up because the coverdisk included a copy of the Gentoo distro... It claimed that the popular desktops for Linux, Gnome and KDE, have reached a point where they surpass Windows (presumably, compared to the bad old days of fvwm) and also that they're 'catching up fast' with OS X. Should Macintosh users be shaking in their boots? No. After all, _Microsoft Windows_ isn't dead yet. And, since Macintosh users can afford a Macintosh, they're less likely to pirate software, and more likely to be able to afford to buy it, and all that - and therefore the Macintosh will still be more attractive than the Linux platform for developers of mainstream applications. Linux is only very indirectly and tangentially a threat to the Macintosh, and that only because the dominance of the Windows platform has left the Macintosh so vulnerable. John Savard http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account On 2005-06-19 09:33:28 -0700, jsavard@excxn.aNOSPAMb.cdn.invalid (John Savard) said: > So admits an article in a Linux magazine that I recently picked up > because the coverdisk included a copy of the Gentoo distro... > > It claimed that the popular desktops for Linux, Gnome and KDE, have > reached a point where they surpass Windows (presumabl...

[News] Mac OS: "Linux with Bling-Bling"
Apple & Linux: Bling-Bling versus the Real Thing ,----[ Quote ] | Those of us who care about genuine value and quality have better things to | do than buy pretty toys; Linux still continues to offer better value | and performance than anything produced by Microsoft or Apple and still | looks good while doing it. `---- http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=63 In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote on Wed, 26 Jul 2006 14:36:14 +0100 <1416825.HiScH1s2Xh@schestowitz.com>: > Apple & Linux: Bling-Bling versus the Re...

[News] Palm OS (Renamed "Garnet OS") and a Linux Future
Palm OS Clings To Life ,----[ Quote ] | Access, a mobile software company in Japan that acquired PalmSource, | the maker of the Palm OS, plans to introduce in the first half of | this year its Access Linux Platform, which will include an emulation | layer for running Palm OS-based applications. The company this week | announced it's renaming all products that originally had Palm-based | names. The first product to be renamed is Palm OS, which will be | known as Garnet OS. `---- http://www.crn.com/sections/infrastructure/infrastructure.jhtml?articleId=197000527 -- List of candidate M...

[News] "Switching to Linux is no harder than switching to OS X"

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] Google Chrome OS (Linux) as "Endgame" Against Microsoft

Posted by Kier
Posted by Kier - "why I moved from Linux to Mac OS X" Like many, I started with Windows � 95 through to XP. At age 11-12 I toyed with a number of Linux distributions: Mandriva/Mandrake, RHEL, Debian, Gentoo� until I finally settled with Ubuntu. After dual booting for a year or so I finally rid myself of Windows entirely. I stuck with Ubuntu for 4 years and then made the switch from Linux to Mac OS X via means of a OSx86 hackintosh � OS X installed on custom PC hardware. After two years of running OSx86 hackintosh I finally bought a cheap Macbook Pro, which I still use 2 year...

Posted by Kier
Posted by Kier - "why I moved from Linux to Mac OS X" Like many, I started with Windows � 95 through to XP. At age 11-12 I toyed with a number of Linux distributions: Mandriva/Mandrake, RHEL, Debian, Gentoo� until I finally settled with Ubuntu. After dual booting for a year or so I finally rid myself of Windows entirely. I stuck with Ubuntu for 4 years and then made the switch from Linux to Mac OS X via means of a OSx86 hackintosh � OS X installed on custom PC hardware. After two years of running OSx86 hackintosh I finally bought a cheap Macbook Pro, which I still use 2 year...

[News] GNU/Linux More Polished Then Windows, Mac OS X

[News] Russia Bets Big on GNU/Linux, Makes "National OS"

[News] Gates: "Ubuntu is a bigger threat than Mac OS X to Windows"
"As Ubuntu runs on any hardware and costs nothing, it is bar far a greater threat to Microsoft Windows than Apple's Mac OS X." -- David Gates This newbie site has a great example of just what I mean: http://easylinux.wordpress.com/2006/04/30/ubuntu-dapper-drake-beta-installation-from-live-cd/ http://digg.com/linux_unix/Gates:_Ubuntu_is_a_bigger_threat_than_Mac_OS_X_to_Windows_ Roy Schestowitz wrote: > "As Ubuntu runs on any hardware and costs nothing, it is bar far a > greater threat to Microsoft Windows than Apple's Mac OS X." -- David > Gates This newb...

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] Mac and Windows Users "Delusional", GNU/Linux Doing Just Great

[News] New Set-top Box Runs Linux, "Linux will Be the Major OS [in This Area]"
Device Profile: SysMaster M10 set-top box ,----[ Quote ] | SysMaster used embedded Linux to build a set-top box with a dizzying array | of audio, video, networking, communications, and data capabilities. The | Tornado M10 Digital Media Center runs Linux 2.6.19, and targets phone and | IP network operators wishing to offer a wide range of services. | | [....] | | Yosifov predicts a bright future for Linux in the embedded device market. | "We believe Linux will be the major OS used in embedded system development | because of its small footprint, reliability, power, and available sof...

[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux is an "OS that Just Works", But Nothing is 100% Perfect

[News] What Sets Apart GNU/Linux from Windows and Mac OS X

Web resources about - [News] Chrome on GNU/Linux "Ridiculously Faster" Than on Mac OS X and Windows - comp.os.linux.advocacy