[News] Dell's New 'Eee Killer' Claimed to Be Running Ubuntu GNU/Linux

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:

> Dell's "mini-Inspiron" Eee PC killer revealed
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| However, if what we've already heard holds up, then we're looking at
>| 8.9-inches dolled up in a sub-$500 price tag with a choice of both Windows XP
>| Home or Ubuntu Linux, 8-in-1 card reader, integrated webcam, direct media
>| playback buttons, and a "host of wireless access options." Expect more next
>| week as the Computex show kicks off.
> `----
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/29/dells-mini-inspiron-eee-pc-killer-revealed

It'll need to run Linux.  Even XP at US$18 is all very well until you
start adding in the cost of sofware to actually do anything, then the
load of running anti-virus on it.  Besides, why would you pay anything
for code which is a few patches to NT5, released 8 years ago?

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |

0
mark.kent (15323)
6/5/2008 11:46:26 AM
Mark Kent wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/29/dells-mini-inspiron-eee-pc-killer-revealed
>>
> It'll need to run Linux.  Even XP at US$18 is all very well until you
> start adding in the cost of sofware to actually do anything, then the
> load of running anti-virus on it.  Besides, why would you pay anything
> for code which is a few patches to NT5, released 8 years ago?

Trick question or something?  You pay for Windows so you don't get stuck
with Linux crap, of course.

0
nospam11 (18349)
6/5/2008 12:04:38 PM
"DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> writes:

> Mark Kent wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>>> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/29/dells-mini-inspiron-eee-pc-killer-revealed
>>>
>> It'll need to run Linux.  Even XP at US$18 is all very well until you
>> start adding in the cost of sofware to actually do anything, then the
>> load of running anti-virus on it.  Besides, why would you pay anything
>> for code which is a few patches to NT5, released 8 years ago?
>
> Trick question or something?  You pay for Windows so you don't get stuck
> with Linux crap, of course.

It appears Mark Kent still doesn't realise that just about all the
useful OSS also runs on Windows. Can he really be so dumb? I guess yes.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
6/5/2008 12:10:19 PM
Mark Kent wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/29/dells-mini-inspiron-eee-pc-killer-revealed

> It'll need to run Linux.  Even XP at US$18 is all very well until you
> start adding in the cost of sofware to actually do anything, then the
> load of running anti-virus on it.

The anti-virus, anti-spyware, Registry cleaner, Registration, WGA, etc, and
little in the way of pre-loaded and automatically updated apps. is all a bit
of a downer, isn't it?

Not too sure about your $18 price.  Are you sure that's not £18?  The best I
can work out from similar recent offerings is that the "Restricted hardware
special low-cost XP Home" version is adding $30.

As for S/W (applications) cost, there is the counter argument that one can run
OO.o, Firefox, T/bird. GIMP etc. on Windows?  That said, there is also the
counter-counter argument of course that if one is running all those great
apps, one would be better off just binning XP and using an Operating System
(which is precisely how I came to use Linux)....

> Besides, why would you pay anything
> for code which is a few patches to NT5, released 8 years ago?

You don't make that argument very strongly.  Are you mellowing towards the
wintrolls in your old age?:-)
Isn't the point that XP has just come to the end of the line?  Just how much
security etc. support can be expected for it now?  I really can't see Redmond
offering much - apart from anything else, if they give it full support over
the years ahead, umpteen million current Windows users will will expect to be
able to continue to use it, and Redmond's Vista sales will be cream-crackered
again.
By contrast, if they take it with Linux, they get today's OS, getting even
better month by month and absolutely no obsolescence...

0
bbgruff (6628)
6/5/2008 2:45:19 PM
bbgruff <bbgruff@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Mark Kent wrote:
>>>
> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/29/dells-mini-inspiron-eee-pc-killer-revealed
>>>

>> It'll need to run Linux.  Even XP at US$18 is all very well until you
>> start adding in the cost of sofware to actually do anything, then the
>> load of running anti-virus on it.
>
> The anti-virus, anti-spyware, Registry cleaner, Registration, WGA, etc, and
> little in the way of pre-loaded and automatically updated apps. is all a bit
> of a downer, isn't it?
>
> Not too sure about your $18 price.  Are you sure that's not £18?  The best I
> can work out from similar recent offerings is that the "Restricted hardware
> special low-cost XP Home" version is adding $30.
>
> As for S/W (applications) cost, there is the counter argument that one can run
> OO.o, Firefox, T/bird. GIMP etc. on Windows?  That said, there is also the
> counter-counter argument of course that if one is running all those great
> apps, one would be better off just binning XP and using an Operating System
> (which is precisely how I came to use Linux)....

But only a retard would us that counter argument since those apps are
the basic bread and butter apps and flag wavers for OSS. There are many
more which do not run on Linux. But you knew that.

>> Besides, why would you pay anything
>> for code which is a few patches to NT5, released 8 years ago?
>
> You don't make that argument very strongly.  Are you mellowing towards the
> wintrolls in your old age?:-)

His argument is silly isn't it? Since people do indeed buy it and are
happy with it.

> Isn't the point that XP has just come to the end of the line?  Just how much
> security etc. support can be expected for it now?  I really can't see Redmond
> offering much - apart from anything else, if they give it full support over
> the years ahead, umpteen million current Windows users will will expect to be
> able to continue to use it, and Redmond's Vista sales will be cream-crackered
> again.
> By contrast, if they take it with Linux, they get today's OS, getting even
> better month by month and absolutely no obsolescence...

Most people do not want updates every day. They want a good stable OS
(XP is that) which runs the applications they need. Until Linux can
provide a compelling reason to migrate people never will. It is clear
that not running entertainment SW is enough, for example, to nullify the
"for free" tag.

--
"Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
                                        7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:10:19 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> "DFS" <nospam@dfs_.com> writes:
>
>> Mark Kent wrote:
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>>>>
>>> It'll need to run Linux.  Even XP at US$18 is all very well until you
>>> start adding in the cost of sofware to actually do anything, then the
>>> load of running anti-virus on it.  Besides, why would you pay anything
>>> for code which is a few patches to NT5, released 8 years ago?
>>
>> Trick question or something?  You pay for Windows so you don't get stuck
>> with Linux crap, of course.
>>

> It appears Mark Kent still doesn't realise that just about all the
> useful OSS also runs on Windows. Can he really be so dumb? I guess yes.

Mark Kent is obviously not too bright.
That's why he keeps re posting the same posts that other people have made
only his formatting and editing makes it all but impossible to read.
IOW it's totally useless.

I'll bet the people on dialup or metered connections love getting his SPAM.

--
Moshe Goldfarb
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
> Mark Kent wrote:
>>>
> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/29/dells-mini-inspiron-eee-pc-killer-revealed
>>>

>> It'll need to run Linux. �Even XP at US$18 is all very well until you
>> start adding in the cost of sofware to actually do anything, then the
>> load of running anti-virus on it. �
>
> The anti-virus, anti-spyware, Registry cleaner, Registration, WGA, etc, and
> little in the way of pre-loaded and automatically updated apps. is all a bit
> of a downer, isn't it?

Indeed.

> Not too sure about your $18 price.  Are you sure that's not �18?  The best I
> can work out from similar recent offerings is that the "Restricted hardware
> special low-cost XP Home" version is adding $30.

Um, I can't recall where I've seen the number, but it might well have
been �18, as you mention it.

> As for S/W (applications) cost, there is the counter argument that one can run
> OO.o, Firefox, T/bird. GIMP etc. on Windows?  That said, there is also the
> counter-counter argument of course that if one is running all those great
> apps, one would be better off just binning XP and using an Operating System
> (which is precisely how I came to use Linux)....

That's true, of course, you could run open-source applications on top of
a proprietary operating system, but you'll still have all the security
issues which are inherent in Windows, which open-source applications
cannot necessarily protect you from on Windows.

>> Besides, why would you pay anything
>> for code which is a few patches to NT5, released 8 years ago?
>
> You don't make that argument very strongly.  Are you mellowing towards the
> wintrolls in your old age?:-)

Hehe - I've been a little busy recently :-)

> Isn't the point that XP has just come to the end of the line?  Just how much
> security etc. support can be expected for it now?  I really can't see Redmond
> offering much - apart from anything else, if they give it full support over
> the years ahead, umpteen million current Windows users will will expect to be
> able to continue to use it, and Redmond's Vista sales will be cream-crackered
> again.

I'm assuming that Microsoft have pretty much given up on Vista, as
everyone else seems to have.

> By contrast, if they take it with Linux, they get today's OS, getting even
> better month by month and absolutely no obsolescence...

Unless you end up with proprietary drivers, though.  I've got a mythtv
box which is an Asus Pundit running Ubuntu with an nVidia video card.
The nVidia driver is very good when it works, but I've had a couple of
problems with having to enable different repositories in order to get
the "restricted" drivers - something which would've been a problem for a
non-technical user, I suspect.  By contrast, my Ubuntu desktop office
machine, also an Asus desktop, has an Intel video card and the free
OpenGL drivers work very well for it.  I've not had any updating
problems with that machine.

Anyway, it remains an argument in favour of open-source, however you
hack it!

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |

0
mark.kent (15323)

http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/01/moshe-goldfarb-troll.html
http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/flatfish-troll.html

Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

Don't like these posts? Stop feeding the troll

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 08:04:38 -0400, DFS wrote:

> Mark Kent wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>>> http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/29/dells-mini-inspiron-eee-pc-killer-
revealed

>> It'll need to run Linux.  Even XP at US$18 is all very well until you
>> start adding in the cost of sofware to actually do anything, then the
>> load of running anti-virus on it.  Besides, why would you pay anything
>> for code which is a few patches to NT5, released 8 years ago?
>
> Trick question or something?  You pay for Windows so you don't get stuck
> with Linux crap, of course.

You get  Linux and associated software so you don;t have to put up with
Windows crap.

--
Rick
0