[News] Dell to Sell Linux Phones, Motorola Gets Closer to Linux/Google

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] Linux Mobile Phones Get New Features; Another Linux Smart Phone PDA from Motorola
Red Bend Software and Trolltech to Bring Over-the-Air Software Component Management to Linux Mobile Phones ,----[ Quote ] | Mobile phones have become sophisticated communications and multi-media | devices. As functionality increases, so too does the amount of software | inside mobile phones. Operators, manufacturers and software developers need | the flexibility and control to update, add, change and remove any software | component inside the mobile phone at any point during the device's lifetime. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/080122/0350817.html Motorola MOTOMING A1600 3G GPS ...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] [Linux] Motorola's New Linux-based Phone (ROKR Z6) Gets Major Praise
Review: Motorola's Linux Powered ROKR Z6 ,----[ Quote ] | Motorola's MOTOROKR Z6 has an awful lot going for it. It has a capable | music player, takes good photos, and offers new voice technology that we've | never seen from a major manufacturer. It is, to be sure, an eminently | enjoyable slider phone. I would have liked for its internal antenna to have | performed a bit more strongly and I'm not real fond of the d-pad's nail | file like surface, but apart from those few things, I really have enjoyed | the past few weeks I've had with the Z6. | | I'm very p...

[News] [Linux] PS3 Linux Gets a Boost with Improved Linux Distribution
Free simplified Linux distro for PS3 ,----[ Quote ] | Want to do more with your Playstation 3? HELIOS Software and Terra | Soft Solutions have made available for free download a modified | version of the Yellow Dog Linux (YDL) distribution. `---- http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1545 The press release seems exciting and it also contains a neat video: http://www.prweb.com/releases/linux/ps3/prweb529090.htm Related: PS3 Yellow Dog Linux Install Videos ,----[ Quote ] | Due to the demand on the PS3 forums I am making some install videos of | Yellow Dog Linux. Sorry about ...

[News] [Linux] Dell Gets a Praised for Its Support of Linux
Dell Ubuntu Machines Start Hitting the Streets, Answering Q's ,----[ Quote ] | I'm also rather pleased with Dell's new Linux wiki, which offers | pointers to all of the Linux efforts and resources, along with | concise but complete information on the three models that Dell | ships with Ubuntu. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2144791,00.asp Part three: technology rules of thumb ,----[ Quote ] | There are tangible examples of this working in practice. Dell is going | to start offering Linux pre-installed on its PCs and notebooks, a | decision it took based on cust...

[News] [Linux] Dell: Linux PCs Are Selling Well!
Will HP Follow Dell With Ubuntu Linux PCs? ,----[ Quote ] | Initially, I was skeptical about Dell's decision to sell selected consumer | PCs with Ubuntu Linux pre-installed. | | But after a few days of testing, I'm a skeptic no more. And I'm not alone. | Dell insiders tell me that the Ubuntu PCs, introduced in late May, are | selling well -- though they decline to share exact sales figures with | me. `---- http://software.seekingalpha.com/article/39413 He then moves on to arguing that H-P might follow Dell's footsteps. They have tested Linux for a while (see below), whi...

[News] [Linux] Motorola Brings Linux Phones to America
Motorola finally launches U.S. Linux phone ,----[ Quote ] | Linux/Java has topped CEO Ed Zander's list of things to look for | from Motorola as it attempts a financial turnaround. At a New | York press conference this morning, Zander introduced Linux-based" | Rokr" and "Razr2" models, along with new top-level executives. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8879219087.html That ought to do some damage to Symbian. Windows mobile is almost nowhere to be seen with just about 4% market share. This is one of Microsoft's divisions, which I suspect is losing $billio...

[News] Linux Phones Keep WINNING, Palm's Linux Phone Gets Flash

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

[News] [Linux] Does Microsoft Forbid Dell from Selling Linux to Businesses?
Dell: Freedom to choose Ubuntu...but only if you don't have a job ,----[ Quote ] | But why not let the market decide where Ubuntu will go today? Or was that | part of some agreement with Microsoft? "We'll only let individual Linux | freaks buy Ubuntu - we won't let corporate Linux freaks buy it." Muppets. `---- http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/06/dell_freedom_to.html It's not clear if it's true. Yesterday I said it was probably a business procedure, but judge for yourselves. Related: Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa A...

Why linux is linux

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind N...

Web resources about - [News] Dell to Sell Linux Phones, Motorola Gets Closer to Linux/Google - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Motorola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the original company which split in 2011. For the mobile phone manufacturer, see Motorola Mobility . For the equipment ...

Motorola Mobility - Motorola Solutions - United Kingdom
Motorola, Inc. separates Jan. 4, 2011. Read more from Motorola Mobility or Motorola Solutions .

Motorola brand to be phased out soon
The COO of Lenovo has revealed that the Motorola brand will be phased out soon.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: LG 34″ QHD Monitor $570, Motorola Refurb Cable Modem $40, 10-ft. Lightning Cable ...
... 34-inch UltraWide Displays: LG w/ Thunderbolt $570 (Reg. $700+) , Dell Curved $675 (Reg. $750) It’s 2016, stop renting your cable modem: Motorola ...

Motorola’s 2016 line-up: Fingerprint sensors for all, phones 5 inches +
... in 2016. The SVP of Lenovo, and President of Lenovo China and Asia Pacific had some exciting news to offer about his company's plans for Motorola's ...

Motorola offers bootloader unlocks for Verizon Moto Xes it abandoned
... generally excellent 2014 Moto X because it promised prompt and frequent software updates got a nasty surprise after Android 6.0 came out. Motorola ...

The Motorola smartphone era is officially dead
The Motorola smartphone era is about to come to a close. While the Moto line isn't going anywhere, Motorola's parent company Lenovo recently ...

Five possible responses to the Google-Motorola merger
... there's likely an aftershock that reverberates through an industry. CNET takes a look at some possible scenarios for Google and Motorola competitors. ...

Motorola Heading To That Cellphone Store In The Sky As Parent Company Lenovo Starts Phasing Out Brand ...
Clutch your Razr tight and give the StarTAC under your pillow a pat — the Motorola name will soon be a thing of the past. After buying Motorola ...

Motorola’s Next Phone Arrives in July, Will be “More Innovative, More Attractive”
... Journal that he still thinks that there is room for growth for smartphones in emerging markets, but that he also intends to leverage his Motorola ...