[News] Ecuador Ahead of the World with Democracy of Knowledge

Democratization of Knowledge, P2P alternatives and more in Ecuador

,----[ Quote ]
| I asked Marco Fioretti of the Italian Digifreedom to report on the congress
| on free software and education that we both attended as speakers in Quito,
| Ecuador, and which was organized and hosted by the Salesian teaching order,
| who preferentially work with the children of the poor.
`----

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/democratizacion-of-knowledge-p2p-alternatives-and-more-in-ecuador/2008/11/05

Recent:

Ecuador: A Weekend of Free Software Throughout the Country

,----[ Quote ]
| In Ecuador, this event gathered a lot of attention, especially since the
| President of the Republic, Rafael Correa, by means of decree No. 1014 of
| April 10, 2008, ruled that the computers in the public administration should
| utilize free software. This decree fulfills a promise made in a speech in
| 2007 that would migrate all of the country's computers to these free systems.
`----

http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2008/05/01/ecuador-weekend-of-flisol-celebrations/

South America warms to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| In South American countries, as in most other areas of the world, the
| government is by far the biggest purchaser of software. Thus the Open Source
| trend that is now established in the government sector across the continent
| will doubtless spur Open Source adoption in the private sector.
|
| There are a variety of motives for Open Source adoption in play in there,
| from the reduction in software costs to the desire to provide a "leg-up" to
| the local software industry. However, the motivation of the Peruvian
| government is unique in that the Peruvian supporters of the bill see "Open
| Source" as a citizen's right. The ownership and responsibility for the use of
| data and software have become a political issue in Peru.
|
| This is an idea that is unlikely to go away.
`----

http://argentinadiscovery.page.tl/South-America-warms-to-Open-Source.htm

South American Software Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Who ultimately forced Sun to open-source Java? Was it external pressure,
| either from Java developers or the open-source community? Or was it internal,
| perhaps a mandate from CEO Jonathan Schwartz?
|
| Answer: None of the above. According to Jonathan himself, it was Brazil.
`----

http://www.ddj.com/architect/205600791

Related:

Success for free software in Latin America!

,----[ Quote ]
| And today was the day that the president elect pronounced himself in
| favor of migrating to free software!
|
| [...]
|
| Ecuador is a small country, with a population hovering around 13
| million inhabitants. About 80% of the population is poor. A good
| half of the entire population barely has resources to eat.
|
| [...]
|
| Evidently, monopoly rents (licenses) in proprietary software are
| simply incompatible with our economy. If we want to take advantage
| of computers, our only options are the GNU and Linux systems ands
| oftware out there. Otherwise, we'll be attempting to out-compete
| the competition, using their ground rules. Ha!
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2006/12/13/%c2%a1success-for-free-software-in-latin-america/

Ecuador migrates to Free Software and Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| On April 10, 2008, Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa Delgado signed a decree
| ordering that the software used by public administrations in the country be
| free software (and implicitly based on open standards). Fuller story in
| Spanish...
`----

http://www.digistan.org/forum/t-52909/ecuador-migrates-to-free-software-and-open-standards

Venezuela Launches Sale of "Bolivarian" Computers

,----[ Quote ]
| The new computers will run the open-source Linux operating system
| and will first be used inside the government "missions" and state
| companies and institutions but eventually are expected to be sold
| across Venezuela and Latin America.
`----

http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news.php?newsno=2326

Gates promotes PC training in Colombia

,----[ Quote ]
| The government and Microsoft also two signed agreements Monday
| stressing Uribe's strong commitment to Microsoft products at a
| time other countries in the region are promoting the non-proprietary
| Linux operating system.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070319/ap_on_hi_te/colombia_bill_gates
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] [Linux] Linux Has Advantage in the Mobile OS World
How Linux morphed from a server to a mobile OS ,----[ Quote ] | When evaluating Linux as a possible OS candidate, it is important to | remember that the Linux "model" for mobile devices is horizontal. That | is, Linux is not presented as a vertically integrated top to bottom | solution for a mobile device supplied by one vendor. | | It's a sharp contrast to the other OS suppliers such as Microsoft | with Windows Mobile, Symbian and PalmSource. These suppliers | support a highly integrated software stack, incorporating not | only an OS but also extensive middleware and applicati...

[News] GNU/Linux Still Ahead of Mac OS X in Areas

[News] Why GNU/Linux Matters to the World, Whereas Mac OS and Windows Harm It

[News] Where GNU/Linux is Ahead of Mac OS X and Windows: Terminal Applications

[News] [Linux] Was Xandrosoft the Microsoft of the Linux World?
DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 206, 11 June 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | But even before this deal, Xandros had never been a community player | (it has failed to release a single piece of its own software under a | free licence) and the only raison d'�tre of this Canadian company was | to profit from free software. And while its first two releases of | Xandros Desktop brought some interesting advancements into desktop | Linux, the company later abandoned its innovative spirit and | desktop enthusiasm to focus on business Linux instead. Disappointing, | to say the least, from a company that hel...

[News] [Linux] Is Linux Ahead of All Other Operating Systems?
Color Theory - Linux and Personal Preferences ,----[ Quote ] | What is confusion is also power. Linux runs in more languages, | on more platforms, in more ways, than any other OS on the planet. | It is developed world wide by a huge group of very passionate | people. It can be made to match the ideals and goals of whomever | for whatever. If you need simple, easy: it's there! See Xandros or | Linspire: there are no operating systems easier to install than | those. None. Not OS.X even. Note that these both chose KDE for | the user interface too. `---- http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/...

[News] [Linux] DEFCON Linux Released, Ubuntu Linux Among Top 20 Products at PC World
DEFCON Linux released! ,----[ Quote | Good news to all Linux users as we announce the release of | DEFCON Linux today! `---- http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introversion/viewtopic.php?t=738 Ubuntu made #16 in "Top 100 Products" at PC World. http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,131935-page,13/article.html On May 23, 5:16 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote: > DEFCON Linux released! > > ,----[ Quote > | Good news to all Linux users as we announce the release of > | DEFCON Linux today! > `---- > > http://forums.introversion.co.uk/intr...

[News] Excuses Against Linux Are Running Out Because Linux is Ahead of Vista
Linux works just fine, thank you very much! ,----[ Quote ] | These aren't state of the art by any stretch any more, and there is no way | either could run Vista. But with contemporary Linux distributions, they are | more than capable of soldiering on. `---- http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/08/opensuse-works-just-fine.html Also in the news today: Microsoft is Out of Linux Facts http://www.computerwire.com/industries/research/?pid=AF663B1C%2D6098%2D44D8%2DA61B%2D5C1C683E5DBE Related: Buying a new PC? 'Windows Vista Capable' barely hits the mark ,----[ Quote ] | Micros...

[News] [Linux] Walkthroughs of Sidux (Linux) and Nexenta OS
Nexenta OS Alpha 7 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | Nexenta OS (elatte) Alpha 7 is now available. Release Highlights: | OpenSolaris & NWS build 61 (non-debug); installer - new | partitioning wizard, installer log (via F3), usabilityf | ixes, built-in driver availability detection... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9845.phtml sidux 2007-02 Preview 1 Screenshot Tour ,----[ Quote ] | What's on the menu: Debian sid, up to date as of 2007-05-13; kernel | 2.6.21.1 (SMP, voluntary preemption, mac80211); minimal, but fully | functional KDE 3.5.6 (en + de); completely overhauled early boot | sequence; largely adapted installer and graphical installer | front-end; enhanced installer for meta tasks; new artwork;o | ffline manual... `---- http://osdir.com/Article9846.phtml Related: Sidux: A live CD for Debian unstable ,----[ Quote ] | It's a rare distribution that impresses me before I've even tried it, | but sidux did just that when, a few hours after I'd downloaded and | burned a two-day-old preview release, the project announced that the | next release was available for download. `---- http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/07/02/28/1017239.shtml?tid=127 SIDUX 2007-01 Linux LiveCD ,----[ Quote ] | Screenshots gallery `---- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=655&num=1 Testdriving Sidux 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | Sidux ships with a 2.6.20 kernel, Xorg 7.1.1, gcc 4.1.2, and KDE | 3.5.5. Iceweasel 2.0.0.1 appears to be the default...

[News] Tips for Linux Advocacy (from Linux-hostile Site)

[News] Linux the Clear Winner in Google OS News
Linux the Clear Winner in Google OS News :----[ Quote ]----: Microsoft�s pricing model is not sustainable in the new world of PC/mobile convergence. MSFT as it existed for the past 20 years does not fit into a world of free carrier-backed netbooks and an internet OS. It�s been reported that Windows 7 Starter will be priced around $45 - $55. In a $200 netbook with already razor thin margins that pricing doesn�t work. And it certainly doesn�t work in the world of free PCs subsidized through carrier subscriptions. When PC makers threaten to use another operating system if they don�t get Windows 7 at a lower price they will not be bluffing; Google Chrome, Moblin, and desktop Linux will be free. Microsoft is not blind to this - but it is questionable if their recent moves towards services will happen soon enough. :----: <http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2009/07/08/linux-the-clear-winner-in-google-os-news/> ...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] [Linux] Virtual World Works Best in GNU/Linux
Semantic Wonderland ,----[ Quote ] | Among the most impressive demos at JavaOne was the open sourced | Project Wonderland which James Gosling presented during his Toy | show. It is a virtual world that grew out of project Looking Glass, | the 2.5D Java Desktop that was unveiled a couple of years ago. | | [...] | | Apparently one gets the best out of wonderland by running it on Linux, | as one can then interact with real X applications. `---- http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/semantic_wonderland There's also this: Watch out Second Life: China launches virtual universe with seven ...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind N...

[News] [Linux] New and Extensive Linux Introduction/Advocacy Page
Introduction to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The very first thing that must be understood about Linux is that | is it open-source software. Think about the open nature of a | chocolate chip cookie recipe and how all the people who use ita | re legally allowed to modify and redistribute the recipe if they | wish, provided they're given permission to do so from the author... `---- http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq.html It's quite a good Web page, so it's worth mentioning. Verily I say unto thee, that Roy Schestowitz spake thusly: > http://www.davestechsupport.com/ubuntufaq....

[News] [Linux] Dell Pressured to Bring Linux to the Rest of the World
Pressure mounts on Dell over Linux PCs ,----[ Quote ] | Dell's EMEA director of client marketing, Eric Greffier, said in May that | Dell would offer the rest of the world Linux PCs some way behind the US due | to driver certification issues and the logistical difficulties posed by | translating support documentation. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39287605,00.htm Recent: Interest in Linux Outside the United States ,----[ Quote ] | In the vlog, Veni talks about some of his work, shares his perspective | on why Dell should expand our recent Ubuntu-based Linu...

[News] Trouble Ahead for Windows Piracy is Good News for Linux
Beware: Half of Pirated Vista Is Malware ,----[ Quote ] | About half of all downloads that claim to be free versions of | Microsoft's Vista operating system are actually malicious | Trojan horse software, security vendor DriveSentry warned today. `---- http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/003622.html Users in the poorer nation will be encouraged/forced to pay (if not sell a limb) or simply use GNU/Linux, which they will, gradually. Related: Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's acti...

[News] [Linux] How the $100 Linux Laptop Will Change the World
Red Hat boss claims digital divide contributes to terrorism ,----[ Quote ] | Red Hat has been heavily involved in the One Laptop per Child project | (OLPC) which aims to provide developing nations with access to a cheap | PC for around $100. `---- http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10005265o-2000331759b,00.htm Learning as easy as pie ,----[ Quote ] | Once upon a time, a man set out to give away an exceptional laptop to | millions of children. What sounds like a fairy tale is actually the "One | Laptop per Child" (OLPC) project, which is already supplying interested ...

[News] Dyne:bolic (Linux) Tour and a Big World of Linux Audio
Dyne:bolic 2.5.2 – screenshots ,----[ Quote ] | Dyne:bolic is a LiveCD Linux distribution, shaped on the needs of media | activists, artists and creatives. It is distributed with a large assortment | of applications for audio and video manipulation. Dyne:bolic is based | entirely on free software. `---- http://free-your-media.net/2007/12/31/dynebolic-252-screenshots/ The Sound Of Linux 2007 ,----[ Quote ] | In this article I've selected what I consider to be some of the past year's | outstanding achievements in the world of Linux music and sound software. It's | not rea...

[News] [Linux] China Talks Linux in World Summit, Mentions Innovation
First take: OSS World Summit 2007 in Guangzhou ,----[ Quote ] | IBM's vice president of China Software Development Laboratory, Josephine | Cheng, told the audience how the company's deals with "innovation with | Linux and open source" and making it a billion dollar business. `---- http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,62024532,00.htm Free software innovates, others imitate. http://www.gridter.com/articles/software_cycle.html http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w ...

[News] [Linux] Yet Another World's First for Linux
Linux powers "world's first" GPON/GE-PON SoCs ,----[ Quote ] | Conexant claims to be sampling the "world's first" system-on-chip | (SoC) processors for "GPON/GE-PON residential gateways" | (gigabit/gigabit Ethernet passive optical networking). The | "Xenon-IIIG" GPON and "Xenon-IIIE" GE-PON chips come with | Linux, and support both FTTH and FTTN (fiber-to-the-home/node | applications, Conexant said. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3385638914.html Related: The World's First Mobile Linux Development Kit (MKit) is now available ,----[ Quote ] | Unicon Systems, a Linux handheld software and hardware technology | developer from Menlo Park, California, will start shipping its Mobile | Linux Development Kit (MKitTM) this week. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/apr/18/the_worlds_first_mobile_linux_development_kit_mkit_is_now_available http://tinyurl.com/2rm6lu Claimed-first Core Duo AMC runs Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Mercury Computer Systems is sampling what it claims to be | the first AMC (advanced mezzanine card) based on Intel's | Core Duo processor. Mercury also says its AXA-100, which | is available with Linux, "doubles the compute resource | available in an AMC form factor." `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5573015675.html ...

[News] GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks in the News Again, Good Year Ahead
Odds and ends ,----[ Quote ] | My forecast: netbooks are going to get even hotter in 2009 | as buyers turn to affordable PCs with decent performance | during an economic downturn. An alliance to watch: Acer and | Canonical. As good as its netbooks are, Acer could benefit | from Ubuntu, one of the most popular and user-friendly | Linux distributions. Canonical, Ubuntu=92s sponsor, stands to | gain from a sharp rise in its installed base that a | bundling deal with Acer would bring. What are these two | waiting for? `---- http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=3Dbusiness5_dec30_2008 =A3185....

Web resources about - [News] Ecuador Ahead of the World with Democracy of Knowledge - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Democracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For a democracy that protects the rights of the individual, see Liberal democracy . For other uses, see Democracy (disambiguation) . which was ...

The Bitcoin of politics: Flux Party offers radical new model for democracy
When Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull encouraged Australia's young innovators to go out and disrupt traditional industries, he may not have been ...

The meaning of Liberal Democracy
Lessons of Demopolis - Wisdom from classical Greece: democracy and liberalism are both better off if we understand the difference between them ...

Monday Morning Open Thread: “If You Are Going to Pervert Democracy… “
(Mildly NSFW – language, some insufficiently bleeped) Voter ID, the “solution” in search of a problem, brilliantly mocked. (If you click on ...

The Melting-Away of North Atlantic Social Democracy
... imminently (well, maybe in a month...) write about the whole symposium of which it is a part: [The Melting Away of North Atlantic Social De ...

Trust and Democracy: The Odd Parallels between Trump and Apple
... in the case of Apple wrong. But if we simply abandon our institutions then we will get the presidential and corporate powers we deserve. Democracy ...

Ben Carson: Muslim Americans Would Have To Be Schizophrenic To Embrace Democracy
... , telling host Stephen Bannon that Muslim-Americans would have to be “schizophrenic” if they wanted to embrace American values like democracy ...

Open thread for night owls: Inequality against democracy—10 facts about the 1 percent
Richard Eskow at the Campaign for America’s Future writes— Inequality Against Democracy: 10 Facts About the 1 Percent : Economic inequality ...

Everything You Need to Know About New Hampshire's Attempted Assassination of Our Democracy
New Hampshire’s polls are closed. CNN’s graphics team hasn’t slept in weeks. And we’re about to find out who the weirdos in New Hampshire want ...

Watch: Obama: Justice Scalia Dedicated His Life to the Cornerstone of Our Democracy, the Rule of Law
Watch: Obama: Justice Scalia Dedicated His Life to the Cornerstone of Our Democracy, the Rule of Law