[News] Embedded Linux Gets More Sophisticated, Tiny Linux Board Gets LCD Module

Tiny Linux SBCs gain LCD modules

,----[ Quote ]
| Gumstix has started shipping an LCD expansion board for its tiny,
| Linux-oriented, PXA270-based Verdex single-board computer (SBC).
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2076671742.html

Commercial OSS Holding Their Own Despite Migration to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Balacco, “This trend could continue to put pressure on
| commercial OS suppliers’ and their business models as OEMs consider the
| growing sophistication of publicly available Linux solutions and leverage the
| perceived benefits in terms of source code availability, reduced costs, and
| community support as an alternative to continuing to use a commercial OS in
| future device development projects.”
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/embedded/11700/commercial-oss-holding-their-own-despite-migration-linux

Another one:

JTAG emulator supports native Linux on DaVinci DM355

Related:

Linux gains support in mobile communications

,----[ Quote ]
| 'Based on what we have been told by our contacts in the industry,
| Nokia's choice to further support Linux is representative of a
| shift to Linux as a whole', commented IMS Research Senior
| Analyst Alison Bogle.
`----

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/isr/isr106.html

Linux is de facto OS for TV set-top boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| "The major chipset manufacturers are introducing new Linux platforms
| almost monthly," said Ken Helps, managing director of Ocean Blue Software.
|
| The attraction is that the Linux operating system will support
| advanced functions without requiring a license fee.
`----

http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6426925&partner=eb&spacedesc=news
http://tinyurl.com/2zofx9
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] [Linux] Linux Kernel Gets More Sophisticated; Reiser Trial Postponed
Kernel space: On-demand readahead ,----[ Quote ] | A change in how the kernel pre-reads files for an application could add a | little extra speed to MySQL databases on Linux. | | "Readahead" is the act of speculatively reading a portion of a | file's contents into memory in the expectation that a process | working with that file will soon want that data. `---- http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/053007-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news Hans Reiser murder trial postponed for second time http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6013580?nclick_check=1 ...

[News] Linux Tablet Gets Rave Reviews, iPhone Gets Some Yawns, Apple Helps in Promoting Linux
Reviewers converge on new Nokia Internet tablet ,----[ Quote ] | The N800 shipped Jan. 6 without a peep -- let alone a press release | -- from Nokia. Nonetheless, the device seems to be attracting more | interest, at least from the fourth estate, than did the arguably | more revolutionary 770 Internet tablet from which it evolved. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8932198857.html Apple iPhone: A Disappointment Waiting to Happen ,----[ Quote ] | Will Apple suddenly decide to open up development for the | iPhone? Let's hope so. `---- http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_...

[News] [Linux] Improved Linux SDIO stack; Linux-based Set-top Box Gets Opera
Linux SDIO stack targets high-throughput apps ,----[ Quote ] | SDIO Nex uses an "entirely new" architecture designed for low | processor utilization and maximum throughput, Arasan said. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3979314345.html Linux-based "triple play" gateways gain web browser ,----[ Quote ] | Tilgin (formerly i3 Micro) has added the Opera web browser to two | of its Linux-based set-top boxes, Opera reports. Opera 9 for | Devices will allow Tilgin customers to create user interfaces | based on Web standards, in addition to letting end-users browse | the Web on their TVs. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2814745574.html ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Gets Another Filesystem
Linux: LogFS, A New Flash Filesystem ,----[ Quote ] | In contrast, Jorn compared his new LogFS, "LogFS has an on-medium | tree, fairly similar to Ext2 in structure, so mount times are O(1). | In absolute terms, the OLPC system has mount times of ~3.3s for | JFFS2 and ~60ms for LogFS." `---- http://kerneltrap.org/node/8159 Related: Mount Wikipedia As A Virtual Filesystem ,----[ Quote ] | Thanks to WikipediaFS, Wikipedia fiends tired of reloading pages | in the browser can now, provided they?re using Linux, mount the | site as a virtual filesystem. | | WikipediaFS is a mountable...

[News] [Linux] Linux Companies Get Awards
ServerWatch Product Excellence Awards: The Winners Are ... ,----[ Quote ] | Last week, the ballot box on the Second Annual ServerWatch Product | Excellence Awards was sealed shut and the votes were counted. This | week, we bring you the results. `---- http://www.serverwatch.com/trends/article.php/3681546 AXIGEN Mail Server, Winner of the ServerWatch Product of Excellence Awards ,----[ Quote ] | Based on a multiplatform architecture, the AXIGEN Mail Server, now at | version 4.0, runs on several Linux and BSD distributions, on Solaris | and PowerPC and signed technology partnerships wit...

[News] Linux Kernel Benchmarks Tool Gets More Sophisticated, AMD Catalyst 9.11 Released for Linux

[News] [Linux] Another Linux Device Gets Praises
Small bundle of sluggy joy ,----[ Quote ] | Inside the case, the NSLU2 is in fact a tiny Linux machine with 32MB | of RAM and an Intel XScale CPU. This turns out to be plenty enough | resources to serve files on a small network. Aside from my prosaic | needs, the NSLU2 has been put to several more innovative uses, such | as a music server for Apple ITunes and a 4-line home telephone | exchange. `---- http://times.usefulinc.com/2007/05/31-nslu2 Leading to: Open (and Linux) Wins The Home Again ,----[ Quote ] | Open (and Linux) wins again. Companies that find ways to leverage | (and c...

[News] [Linux] Dell Gets a Praised for Its Support of Linux
Dell Ubuntu Machines Start Hitting the Streets, Answering Q's ,----[ Quote ] | I'm also rather pleased with Dell's new Linux wiki, which offers | pointers to all of the Linux efforts and resources, along with | concise but complete information on the three models that Dell | ships with Ubuntu. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2144791,00.asp Part three: technology rules of thumb ,----[ Quote ] | There are tangible examples of this working in practice. Dell is going | to start offering Linux pre-installed on its PCs and notebooks, a | decision it took based on cust...

[News] [Linux] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Gets Recommendations
Ubuntu 7.04 Review ,----[ Quote ] | It's still not perfect, but Ubuntu Linux has grown into an | excellent operating system. I'd definitely recommend it to | people switching from Windows, OS X, or other GNU/Linux | distributions that haven't met their needs. `---- http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/78 He is usually a very harsh and critical reviewer. Windows Fanatics: What's Your Favorite Operating System? ,----[ Quote ] | If you're interested in Linux, try using a Live-CD distribution of | Linux. Once of the most highly recommended distributions is Ubu...

[News] Raytheon Gets Federal Validation for Linux Module; MontaVista Gets 4G OK

I have Linux! I have Linux!

[News] [Linux] Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Gets More Linux
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Expands Supercomputing Projects Using Appro Cluster Solutions ,----[ Quote ] | "The Minos Linux cluster will provide needed capacity computing cycles | for Livermore's Stockpile Stewardship scientific simulation," said | Mark Seager ICCD ADH for Advanced Technology. "The Minos cluster | will also contribute to multiple efforts within the Laboratory." `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/87870/index.html Related: Appro Delivers the Largest Linux Supercomputing Clusters to Lawrence Livermore National Labs Based on AMD O...

My Linux is not your Linux

Why linux is linux

[News] Ubuntu Linux Gets ROX Desktop; Why you Should Leave Windows for Linux
ROX Desktop: Ubuntu integration ,----[ Quote ] | Can we get rid of ROX-Session? It should be possible to integrate ROX | with your existing session manager. In this experiment, I configure a | fresh Ubuntu installation to run ROX, without using ROX-Session. `---- http://rox.sourceforge.net/desktop/node/409 broadband blog on Ubuntu Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Why should you shift to Linux? Windows XP is being retired from early | next year in order not to cannibalise the sales of Windows Vista. This | means that you would have to pay the price for overpriced software and | hardware in order to ...

[News] [Linux] Getting faster and Faster... Linux Launch Time Improved
OpenSuse plans to massively improve boot time ,----[ Quote ] | Like other distributions, OpenSuse has a group of people working at | a faster boot system. Atm there is no discussion about a new init | system but about improvements on all fronts: kernel, init scripts, | unnecessary system calls, etc. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/05/15/opensuse-plans-to-massively-improve-boot-time/ KDE tip - speed up KDE launch time ,----[ Quote ] | Here's a really simple but very effective tip for speeding up the time | it takes for KDE to start up. `---- http://fosswire.com/2007/05/15/kd...

[News] [Linux] Latest Red Hat Linux Gets Support from INetU
INetU Managed Hosting Rolls Out Red Hat Linux 5 Support ,----[ Quote ] | INetU Managed Hosting announced today that it has begun offering managed | dedicated hosting on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 operating system. `---- http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2007/5/emw526698.htm A religious plug for Linux here: http://leoweekly.com/?q=node/4698 The press seems very happy to cite Dell as proof that Linux is indeed mainstream. No wonder Microsoft is so scared and aggressive. Roy Schestowitz wrote: > INetU Managed Hosting Rolls Out Red Hat Linux 5 Support > > ,----[ Quote ] >...

[News] Mobile Linux Makes Gains, Linux Softphone Gets Boost Too

[News] Linux Author Interview; Linux in a Nutshell Gets 5 Out of 5

[News] Linux Foundation Offers Training, Linux Gets New XGI Contributions

[News] [Linux] Australian Computer Society Gets Together with Red Hat Linux
Red Hat and ACS to build Open Source skills ,----[ Quote ] | Linux vendor Red Hat has partnered with the Australian Computer Society | (ACS) to offer ACS members discounted Red Hat Certified Engineer | (RHCE) training. `---- http://www.beerfiles.com.au/content/view/2279/43/ Also from Red Hat: Red Hat ups telecoms push with Mobicents ,----[ Quote ] | The move will add a Service Logic Execution Environment (Slee) | to the Linux firm's portfolio. `---- http://www.pcmag.co.uk/vnunet/news/2192425/red-hat-picks-mobicents ...

[News] Board Gains Linux Support and Another Embedded Linux Win in the Military
Tiny ARM11 board gains Linux support ,----[ Quote ] | A small processor module based on a Freescale i.MX31IL processor is now | supported by embedded Linux support services provider TimeSys. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2564620480.html Kaon select Pebble Bay Consulting for marine-deployed embedded Linux development ,----[ Quote ] | Pebble Bay, embedded services consultancy, has developed a high-performance | Linux driver, user-space library and test software for a network interface | card that connects to a proprietary gigabit optical network carrying data | from a high s...

[News] A Look at Hugely Popular Linux Widget, ACCESS Linux Gets More Widgets

[News] [Linux] Embedded Linux Gains Integrated Development Tools for Freescale Boards
MontaVista Provides Integrated Development Solution for Freescale Communications and Pervasive Computing ,----[ Quote ] | The platform includes a Freescale board support package (BSP) | pre-installed on the MPC8349E-mITXE platform, and provides | out-of-box support for MontaVista Linux Professional Edition. | Freescale and its customers look to MontaVista Linux, the | industry's most widely deployed commercial embedded Linux | operating system, to provide advanced real-time capabilities. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=2...

Web resources about - [News] Embedded Linux Gets More Sophisticated, Tiny Linux Board Gets LCD Module - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sophisticated Lady (Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sophisticated Trvllr (@SophTraveller) on Twitter

Ghostwriter Notes - Handwriting - Sophisticated - iPad note - PDF annotation - for iPad on the iTunes ...
Get Ghostwriter Notes - Handwriting - Sophisticated - iPad note - PDF annotation - on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer ...

sophisticated monkey painting - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
unsigned reproduction of a donald roller wilson original. bought from china, oil on canvas, with a lovely frame.

Galaxy Minstrels: "Sophisticated Silliness" - YouTube
"Outstanding seats Louise!". In the theatre, two sassy ladies chat about a the merits of an upcoming show. However, the "show" is not what you ...

Investigator to probe Melbourne's 'sophisticated' illegal rooming networks
&quot;Sophisticated&quot; illegal rooming house networks will be targeted in a crackdown by Melbourne City Council, with a professional investigator ...

Sophisticated trojan virus targets HK protesters' iPhones
Cybersecurity researchers uncover Apple iOS virus believed to be is targeting pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.

Russian hackers stole $1 billion in sophisticated cyber hack
A GROUP of about 20 Russian hackers has fleeced over $1 billion from global bank accounts in the past three years, according to a new report. ...

RSA Hacked: RSA SecurID Hacked By "Extremely Sophisticated" Attack
The world's biggest maker of data storage computers said that its security division has been hacked, and that the intruders compromised a widely ...