[News] eReaders Run Linux, Helicopter Runs Linux, Chumby Too

eReaders and the Danger of a Price War

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Barnes & Noble announced they
| would cut the price on their wireless Nook
| eReader, from $259 to $199 ($149 for a new
| WiFi-only edition.)  Many thought this was
| a good opportunity for the third place
| contender to gain market share.  But within
| a few hours Amazon beat Barnes & Noble’s
| price by $10, marking down the Kindle 2 to
| a mere $189.
`----

http://www.opensources.com/2010/06/25/ereaders-and-the-danger-of-a-price-war/

Linux 'copter flies in to Blighty

,----[ Quote ]
| Geeks will love it too - it runs Linux and
| Parrot has provided a freely available
| software development kit for the device.
`----

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/06/23/parrot_ar_drone/

Chumby, the Next Generation

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're unfamiliar with the Chumby, you
| might want to go back to the May 2008 issue
| of Linux Journal. Daniel Bartholomew showed
| us all about the cuddly little gadget and
| explained why we might want one of our very
| own. The folks over at www.chumby.com
| still sell the original Chumby device, but
| they've come out with a new model, the
| Chumby One. I'm rather fond of the
| numbering scheme they chose, because that
| would mean the original Chumby is number
| zero. If the next model is the Chumby 10,
| they will get extra geek points!
|
| How does the new revision stack up? Quite
| frankly, it's great. Although it may have
| lost the rounded edges and squishy case,
| the Chumby One adds some welcome features:
|
|     * A dedicated volume knob, for quick-
|     and-simple volume control.
|     * Rechargeable battery for Chumby
|     uninterrupted mobility (battery not
|     included).
|     * FM radio.
|     * Beefed-up CPU (454MHz).
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/chumby-next-generation

Recent:

Chumby One

,----[ Quote ]
| There are a few additions to the Chumby One,
| including an FM tuner, a much-needed volume
| knob, 2GB of internal storage, a slightly
| faster ARM-based CPU, and an optional lithium-
| ion battery (to keep the Chumby running even
| when the power is out). What went away? The
| second USB port (the Chumby One features just
| one powered USB port, suitable for charging
| devices) and the stereo speakers (the One is
| mono-only). The integrated accelerometer,
| touch screen, stereo audio jack, and snooze
| button remain the same.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/chumby_one

0
Roy

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:17:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
wrote:

> Chumby One
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| There are a few additions to the Chumby One,
>| including an FM tuner, a much-needed volume
>| knob, 2GB of internal

Chumby?

Isn't that the guy on the TV show Pawnstars?

http://www.vegasnews.com/wp-content/uploads/George-Chum-cook_denise-truscello-small-588.jpg
0
Moshe