[News] European Agency for Safety and Health at Work Promotes Free Software

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] A Journey From UNIX to Linux; Role of Linux in Free Software Promotion
Gift of a desktop Part 2 ,----[ Quote ] | Take Maddog for example. This man was a | system administrator, like me. When he | worked for Digital Equipment Corporation | (DEC), a too-big-to-fail mega corporation, | he told everyone that UNIX was dying and | "Linux is inevitable!" They laughed at him | but since he did a lot of favors for people | he had enough gift-economy credits to | convince folks to gift a computer to some | college kid in Finland. Who was this boy | genius who promised to replace the UNIX | operating system this DEC computer ran with | free software he helped write himself? | Linus Tourvalds. | Maddog could retired with the gift of that | one desktop as the feather in his cap. | Instead he has dedicated his career to | spreading the word about free software | since then. Indeed, Linux is International. `---- http://whatwillweuse.com/2010/06/22/gift-of-a-desktop-part-2/ Linux – The father of open source ,----[ Quote ] | When someone says “open source” a lot of | people think about programs with open | source code or Linux. Linux was started | back in the 90′s by Linus Torvalds. The | projected expanded a lot in the years that | would follow. It became people’s best | choice for the minimal and light operating | system that works on nearly every machine. | Wonder why the supercomputers run Linux? | The main reason is security. The other | reason is it’s lightness. In my opinion | Linux is the best option for the user...

[News] Linux Medical News Promoters Carry on Pressuring for Free Software in Healthcare

[News] Ideas for Promoting GNU/Linux and Free Software in Developing Countries

[News] Linux Promotion Video to Use Free Software, New ATI Driver Out

[News] GNU/Linux and Free Software Promoted Using MAFIAA's Daemonisation Terms

[News] Bully Software Alliance Promotes Free Software, by Accident

[News] How to Promote Free Software at Proprietary Software's Expense

[News] [Linux] Free Virtualisation Software Pressures Proprietary Out of GNU/Linux
XenSource, NEC to Partner on Virtualization ,----[ Quote ] | XenSource has signed a new agreement with NEC that looks to expand the | market for XenEnterprise. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2149939,00.asp Can VMware, Xen, Microsoft match newbies' innovations? ,----[ Quote ] | Qumranet is succeeding where big vendors like VMware and XenSource | failed: conquering the Linux kernel. | | [...] | | Fedora 7 and Knoppix 5.2 already offer it, for example. `---- http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid94_gci1262279,00.html http://tinyurl.c...

[News] Why Proprietary Software Has Liability Advantage Over GNU/Linux/Free Software

[News] Space Exploration with Free Software on Linux, Powerful Audio Software
Watch and explore outer space with Stellarium, Celestia, and Xplanet ,----[ Quote ] | Using three free software programs, you can look at and virtually travel to | places millions of miles away without leaving your GNU/Linux desktop or | paying a dime. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/129082 Kokkini Zita: The Audio Software Of Fons Adriaensen ,----[ Quote ] | Looking at the software listed at Kokkini Zita it's easy to see where | developer Fons Adriaensen's interests lie. He has written one of the best | organ synthesizers for Linux, he has contributed to the LADSPA collec...

[News] Linux/Free Software Managing to Sell at Less Than Free (Android)

[News] Why GNU/Linux is Great: Linux CLI Bonus and Free Software Programming

[News] Large Web Site Dumps Proprietary Software for Linux and Free Software
Drupal Content Management Platform Has Been Chosen By Ulitzer ,----[ Quote ] | Ulitzer is looking for talent who will work on the conversion of its | proprietary CMS to a new, open source, LAMP-based system. `---- http://iphone.sys-con.com/read/468350_p.htm Related: Nuxeo peddles open source ECM ,----[ Quote ] | Open source enterprise content management player Nuxeo has announced version | 5.1 of its open source ECM platform with a focus on SOA, scalability, and | support.   `---- http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=BB6E3688-5EE8-4A1B-BEB8-62AF1BCF899D Drupal: fro...

[News] [Linux] 5 Reasons to Use GNU/Linux (Free Software Magazine)
Why everybody should use GNU/Linux, and how? ,----[ Gist ] | Number one reason, it's fun. | | Reason two, therefore: it's free. | | Reason three: community. | | Reason four: responsibility. | | Reason five: it is very reliable. `---- http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/beginners_gnu_linux_part_1 Related: 11 reasons to use Linux instead of Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux. | Just like Windows, Linux has software that doesn't run on Windows. | Great pieces of software like Amarok, Bluefish, Neverball, Gn...

[News] Linux New Media Chooses Free Software, Some More F/OSS News

[News] Epidemiological Analysis Software Brought to GNU/Linux, Becomes Free Software

[News] European Parliament Goes with Free Software, Zmanda Optimises for European Union

[News] New Issue of Linux Journal, Free Software Magazine on Linux Event