[News] GNU/Linux and Ballnux at FLISOL Nicaragua (Free Software Event)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

FLISOL Nicaragua 2010

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/05/02/flisol-nicaragua-2010/

Second round of pictures from the FLISOL Venezuela

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing with another round of pictures from
| the Venezuelan FLISOL, i bring here a small
| recopilation of pictures from galleries of the
| main site, Caracas, where openSUSE has
| presence like in the other 19 sites.
`----

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/05/03/second-round-of-pictures-from-the-flisol-venezuela/

Recent:

Nicaraguan schools go Ubuntu

http://leogg.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/nicaraguan-schools-go-ubuntu/

20,000 Ubuntu laptops for teachers in Nicaragua

,----[ Quote ]
| 20,000 laptops for teachers with
| Guardabarranco GNU/Linux pre-installed will
| be deployed in the first phase of this
| project, followed by the installation of the
| system in computer labs in public schools
| using LTSP.
`----

http://leogg.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/20000-ubuntu-laptops-for-teachers-in-nicaragua/

Nicaragua Builds An Innovative Agricultural Information System Using Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| An experiment in Nicaragua shows just how
| powerful Open Source software can be in
| leveling the playing field. The second
| poorest country of the Americas now has one
| of the best software solutions for displaying
| agricultural data in the western hemisphere.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/nicaragua-builds-innovative-agricultural-information-system-using-open-source-software

Flying on the wings of freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| Guardabarranco is the national bird of Nicaragua. It’s also the name of a
| public school that migrated to GNU/Linux back in 2005.
`----

http://leogg.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/flying-on-the-wings-of-freedom/

Nicaragua: Open Source Software in Public Institutions

,----[ Quote ]
| The blogger LEOGG has been working with public institutions to take full
| advantage of these technologies in order to make them more efficient. In his
| post “Nicaragua Libre” (Free Nicaragua), LEOGG  explains how they helped
| Jalapa, a rural town near the border of Honduras in the north of the country
| how to develop and use Linux-based software.
`----

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2008/07/18/nicaragua-open-source-software-in-public-institution/

Mandriva Linux Community Newsletter #129

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the strengths of Mandriva has long been its popularity and strong
| community base all around the world, in areas not always considered by the
| mainstream Linux press. Continuing this fine tradition, June 14th saw a
| Mandriva installfest and conference in Nicaragua, arranged by the Nicaraguan
| Mandriva user community. The event was well-attended, and even had press
| coverage in a popular Nicaraguan newspaper (link in Spanish). Many people
| brought their systems to have Mandriva Linux installed, and many copies of
| Mandriva Linux Free and One were distributed to those who couldn't bring
| their systems to the event.
`----

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Newsletter129?language=en

Nicaragua is using mandriva!!

,----[ Quote ]
| We would like to have support from our friends around the world.
| Thank you, it would be good if you visit us, help us with new material and
| tell latin users that we have a portal in Nicaragua.
`----

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=87565

ITAN partners Mandriva Linux, Omatek, Zinox, Brian, Beta on OSPC

,----[ Quote ]
| At the just concluded 22nd National Conference and 30th Anniversary of the
| Nigeria Computer Society (NCS), the Information Technology (Industry)
| Association of Nigeria (ITAN), a major interest group in the Society
| announced its partnership with Mandriva West Africa for Mandriva Linux (ML)
| an Open Source Operating and Application software on all the PCs, laptops,
| notebooks and thumbdrives for its Old Students’ Computer In School Initiative
| (OS_CISI) now branded “OSPC” ie Old Students’ Personal Computer.
`----

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11420&Itemid=0

Nigeria: Unilag, Mandriva Linus in ICT Partnership

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva Linux, the global editor of Linux distribution, with head office in
| Paris, incorporated a subsidiary, Mandriva Linux West Africa Limited with
| headquarters in Lagos .
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805220538.html

Related:

2008 Linux Nicaragua Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| While many today see Linux as a "just download it" or "just buy it" product,
| it hasn't always been that way. Installfests were actually the norm. Well,
| that's what is happening in Nicaragua. I received the following announcement
| in email—not from a geek mailing list but from the list of a social rights
| activists.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005790

0
Reply Roy 5/8/2010 3:37:19 PM

See related articles to this posting
comp.os.linux.advocacy 117234 articles. 8 followers. Post

[News] Several GNU/Linux and Free Software Events Coming

[News] Loads of Free Software and GNU/Linux Events Are Coming

[News] School in Nicaragua Migrates to GNU/Linux and Free Software

[News] More GNU/Linux and Free Software Events Are Here: LVEE, Penguicon

[News] Over a Thousand Participants in Event Covering GNU/Linux and Free Software

[News] Italy Organises GNU/Linux Event, Free Software Push

[News] Many New Events Focus on Free Software and GNU/Linux

[News] Many New Events Cover GNU/Linux and Free Software

[News] Events in Many Cities Convert People to GNU/Linux and Free Software