[News] GNU/Linux and Ballnux at FLISOL Nicaragua (Free Software Event)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

FLISOL Nicaragua 2010

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/05/02/flisol-nicaragua-2010/

Second round of pictures from the FLISOL Venezuela

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing with another round of pictures from
| the Venezuelan FLISOL, i bring here a small
| recopilation of pictures from galleries of the
| main site, Caracas, where openSUSE has
| presence like in the other 19 sites.
`----

http://lizards.opensuse.org/2010/05/03/second-round-of-pictures-from-the-flisol-venezuela/

Recent:

Nicaraguan schools go Ubuntu

http://leogg.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/nicaraguan-schools-go-ubuntu/

20,000 Ubuntu laptops for teachers in Nicaragua

,----[ Quote ]
| 20,000 laptops for teachers with
| Guardabarranco GNU/Linux pre-installed will
| be deployed in the first phase of this
| project, followed by the installation of the
| system in computer labs in public schools
| using LTSP.
`----

http://leogg.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/20000-ubuntu-laptops-for-teachers-in-nicaragua/

Nicaragua Builds An Innovative Agricultural Information System Using Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| An experiment in Nicaragua shows just how
| powerful Open Source software can be in
| leveling the playing field. The second
| poorest country of the Americas now has one
| of the best software solutions for displaying
| agricultural data in the western hemisphere.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/nicaragua-builds-innovative-agricultural-information-system-using-open-source-software

Flying on the wings of freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| Guardabarranco is the national bird of Nicaragua. It’s also the name of a
| public school that migrated to GNU/Linux back in 2005.
`----

http://leogg.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/flying-on-the-wings-of-freedom/

Nicaragua: Open Source Software in Public Institutions

,----[ Quote ]
| The blogger LEOGG has been working with public institutions to take full
| advantage of these technologies in order to make them more efficient. In his
| post “Nicaragua Libre” (Free Nicaragua), LEOGG  explains how they helped
| Jalapa, a rural town near the border of Honduras in the north of the country
| how to develop and use Linux-based software.
`----

http://globalvoicesonline.org/2008/07/18/nicaragua-open-source-software-in-public-institution/

Mandriva Linux Community Newsletter #129

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the strengths of Mandriva has long been its popularity and strong
| community base all around the world, in areas not always considered by the
| mainstream Linux press. Continuing this fine tradition, June 14th saw a
| Mandriva installfest and conference in Nicaragua, arranged by the Nicaraguan
| Mandriva user community. The event was well-attended, and even had press
| coverage in a popular Nicaraguan newspaper (link in Spanish). Many people
| brought their systems to have Mandriva Linux installed, and many copies of
| Mandriva Linux Free and One were distributed to those who couldn't bring
| their systems to the event.
`----

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Newsletter129?language=en

Nicaragua is using mandriva!!

,----[ Quote ]
| We would like to have support from our friends around the world.
| Thank you, it would be good if you visit us, help us with new material and
| tell latin users that we have a portal in Nicaragua.
`----

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=87565

ITAN partners Mandriva Linux, Omatek, Zinox, Brian, Beta on OSPC

,----[ Quote ]
| At the just concluded 22nd National Conference and 30th Anniversary of the
| Nigeria Computer Society (NCS), the Information Technology (Industry)
| Association of Nigeria (ITAN), a major interest group in the Society
| announced its partnership with Mandriva West Africa for Mandriva Linux (ML)
| an Open Source Operating and Application software on all the PCs, laptops,
| notebooks and thumbdrives for its Old Students’ Computer In School Initiative
| (OS_CISI) now branded “OSPC” ie Old Students’ Personal Computer.
`----

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11420&Itemid=0

Nigeria: Unilag, Mandriva Linus in ICT Partnership

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva Linux, the global editor of Linux distribution, with head office in
| Paris, incorporated a subsidiary, Mandriva Linux West Africa Limited with
| headquarters in Lagos .
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805220538.html

Related:

2008 Linux Nicaragua Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| While many today see Linux as a "just download it" or "just buy it" product,
| it hasn't always been that way. Installfests were actually the norm. Well,
| that's what is happening in Nicaragua. I received the following announcement
| in email—not from a geek mailing list but from the list of a social rights
| activists.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005790

0
Reply Roy 5/8/2010 3:37:19 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 118227 articles. 12 followers. Post

[News] Several GNU/Linux and Free Software Events Coming

[News] Loads of Free Software and GNU/Linux Events Are Coming

[News] School in Nicaragua Migrates to GNU/Linux and Free Software

[News] More GNU/Linux and Free Software Events Are Here: LVEE, Penguicon

[News] Over a Thousand Participants in Event Covering GNU/Linux and Free Software

[News] Italy Organises GNU/Linux Event, Free Software Push

[News] Many New Events Focus on Free Software and GNU/Linux

[News] Many New Events Cover GNU/Linux and Free Software

[News] Events in Many Cities Convert People to GNU/Linux and Free Software

[News] New GNU/Linux and Free Software Events in Paris, Vancouver, and Clemson University

[News] Free Software Outpaces Non-Free Software Not Just on GNU/Linux

[News] Debian GNU/Linux Tops Most Influential GNU/Linux Distributions, RMS Talks About Free Software
The 7 Most Influential GNU/Linux Distributions ,----[ Quote ] | GNU/Linux offers a bewildering variety of flavors -- or distributions, as | they're called. To a newcomer's eye, many of these seem virtually identical | to each other. | | Yet, the more you learn about a distribution and the community that surrounds | it, the more different they become. Here, in alphabetical order, is a list of | the seven distributions that have most affected GNU/Linux as a whole... `---- http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3701421 On the Front Lines with Richard Stallman ,--...

[News] More Linux Events and Free Software Events Coming

[News] Why Proprietary Software Has Liability Advantage Over GNU/Linux/Free Software

[News] [Linux] Free Virtualisation Software Pressures Proprietary Out of GNU/Linux
XenSource, NEC to Partner on Virtualization ,----[ Quote ] | XenSource has signed a new agreement with NEC that looks to expand the | market for XenEnterprise. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2149939,00.asp Can VMware, Xen, Microsoft match newbies' innovations? ,----[ Quote ] | Qumranet is succeeding where big vendors like VMware and XenSource | failed: conquering the Linux kernel. | | [...] | | Fedora 7 and Knoppix 5.2 already offer it, for example. `---- http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid94_gci1262279,00.html http://tinyurl.c...

[News] Free New Books Cover Free Software and GNU/Linux

[News] [News] Universities in Peru Teach Free Software, GNU/Linux
Peru: Software Libre ,----[ Quote ] | The software industry's pressure on the Government to crack down on piracy, | unlike that from the movie industry, is likely to cause them far deeper | losses as customers are forced to discover free alternatives. | | News of universities in Peru taking advantage of these free, “open source” | alternatives might mean this change is already on the way, potentially saving | the Peruvian economy hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Thousands of | graduates highly-trained in open source technologies might lead to Peru's | institutions reje...

[News] [Linux] 5 Reasons to Use GNU/Linux (Free Software Magazine)
Why everybody should use GNU/Linux, and how? ,----[ Gist ] | Number one reason, it's fun. | | Reason two, therefore: it's free. | | Reason three: community. | | Reason four: responsibility. | | Reason five: it is very reliable. `---- http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/beginners_gnu_linux_part_1 Related: 11 reasons to use Linux instead of Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux. | Just like Windows, Linux has software that doesn't run on Windows. | Great pieces of software like Amarok, Bluefish, Neverball, Gn...

[News] Why GNU/Linux is Great: Linux CLI Bonus and Free Software Programming

[News] New Issue of Linux Journal, Free Software Magazine on Linux Event

[News] Epidemiological Analysis Software Brought to GNU/Linux, Becomes Free Software

[News] Free Open Source Film Made with Free Software and GNU/Linux
Open source on the big screen: Matt Ebb tells tales of Elephants Dream ,----[ Quote ] | Lead artist from Elephants Dream speaks about what it is like to make your | own open movie using open source tools and the power of the community. `---- http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1111810628 BMW is faking 'open source': An Open-Source OS for Your Dashboard (Sort Of) ,----[ Quote ] | How cool can this be: Open source software comes to the dashboard. Imagine | writing a music player, your own music player, to totally personalize your | ride. `---- http://www.pcmag.com/ar...

[News] More GNU/Linux Tablets with Free Software

[News] Routing with GNU/Linux and Free Software