[News] GNU/Linux and Ballnux at FLISOL Nicaragua (Free Software Event)

FLISOL Nicaragua 2010

Second round of pictures from the FLISOL Venezuela

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing with another round of pictures from
| the Venezuelan FLISOL, i bring here a small
| recopilation of pictures from galleries of the
| main site, Caracas, where openSUSE has
| presence like in the other 19 sites.

Nicaraguan schools go Ubuntu

20,000 Ubuntu laptops for teachers in Nicaragua

,----[ Quote ]
| 20,000 laptops for teachers with
| Guardabarranco GNU/Linux pre-installed will
| be deployed in the first phase of this
| project, followed by the installation of the
| system in computer labs in public schools
| using LTSP.

Nicaragua Builds An Innovative Agricultural Information System Using Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| An experiment in Nicaragua shows just how
| powerful Open Source software can be in
| leveling the playing field. The second
| poorest country of the Americas now has one
| of the best software solutions for displaying
| agricultural data in the western hemisphere.

Flying on the wings of freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| Guardabarranco is the national bird of Nicaragua. It’s also the name of a
| public school that migrated to GNU/Linux back in 2005.

Nicaragua: Open Source Software in Public Institutions

,----[ Quote ]
| The blogger LEOGG has been working with public institutions to take full
| advantage of these technologies in order to make them more efficient. In his
| post “Nicaragua Libre” (Free Nicaragua), LEOGG  explains how they helped
| Jalapa, a rural town near the border of Honduras in the north of the country
| how to develop and use Linux-based software.

Mandriva Linux Community Newsletter #129

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the strengths of Mandriva has long been its popularity and strong
| community base all around the world, in areas not always considered by the
| mainstream Linux press. Continuing this fine tradition, June 14th saw a
| Mandriva installfest and conference in Nicaragua, arranged by the Nicaraguan
| Mandriva user community. The event was well-attended, and even had press
| coverage in a popular Nicaraguan newspaper (link in Spanish). Many people
| brought their systems to have Mandriva Linux installed, and many copies of
| Mandriva Linux Free and One were distributed to those who couldn't bring
| their systems to the event.

Nicaragua is using mandriva!!

,----[ Quote ]
| We would like to have support from our friends around the world.
| Thank you, it would be good if you visit us, help us with new material and
| tell latin users that we have a portal in Nicaragua.

ITAN partners Mandriva Linux, Omatek, Zinox, Brian, Beta on OSPC

,----[ Quote ]
| At the just concluded 22nd National Conference and 30th Anniversary of the
| Nigeria Computer Society (NCS), the Information Technology (Industry)
| Association of Nigeria (ITAN), a major interest group in the Society
| announced its partnership with Mandriva West Africa for Mandriva Linux (ML)
| an Open Source Operating and Application software on all the PCs, laptops,
| notebooks and thumbdrives for its Old Students’ Computer In School Initiative
| (OS_CISI) now branded “OSPC” ie Old Students’ Personal Computer.

Nigeria: Unilag, Mandriva Linus in ICT Partnership

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva Linux, the global editor of Linux distribution, with head office in
| Paris, incorporated a subsidiary, Mandriva Linux West Africa Limited with
| headquarters in Lagos .

2008 Linux Nicaragua Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| While many today see Linux as a "just download it" or "just buy it" product,
| it hasn't always been that way. Installfests were actually the norm. Well,
| that's what is happening in Nicaragua. I received the following announcement
| in email—not from a geek mailing list but from the list of a social rights
| activists.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

5/8/2010 3:37:19 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 121431 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Similar artilces about - [News] GNU/Linux and Ballnux at FLISOL Nicaragua (Free Software Event):

Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 6 of 6) #39
Archive-Name: linux/faq/part6 URL: http://www.mainmatter.com/ Reply-to: rkiesling@mainmatter.com Posting-Frequency: weekly Last-modified: 12/04/2001 Expires: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 05:00:00 GMT /pub/linux/packages/GCC/ for binutils- 9.5. GCC Says, "Internal compiler error." If the fault is repeatable (i.e., it always happens at the same place in the same file--even after rebooting and trying again, using a stable kernel) you have discovered a bug in GCC. See the GCC Info documentation (type F1-i in Emacs, and select GCC from the menu) for details on how to report the ...

[News] More Good News for Linux-based Handset Devices
Esmertec And Yuhua TelTech Set New Benchmark With 1-stop Solution For Linux-Based Mobile Devices ,----[ Quote ] | Esmertec announced that Yuhua TelTech, a Chinese Independent Design | House (IDH) for mobile devices, has chosen Esmertec's 1-stop solution | for its Linux-based platform for mobile devices and smart phones. The | platform will be shipped on Linux-based handset devices for the | European and Chinese market at the end of December 2006. `---- http://linux.sys-con.com/read/310276_p.htm Linux is becoming big in China's mobile industry. It is disruptive enough to have had Bal...

Welcome to comp.os.linux.misc
Most of the posts you see are from a mentally ill person who is infuriated by his inability to install and configure linux. (Something my 8-year old nephew had no problems accomplishing.) Just ignore the pathetic loser. He doesn't know anything about Linux. There are many skilled Linux runners here that will be happy to help you with any challenges you encounter while learning this incredible operating system. Do NOT respond to the troll, PLEASE. This is called "feeding a troll" and it will just cause the feeb to post more of its ignorant and bitter crap. AC -- alanconno...

[News] [Rival] More Microsoft Lawsuits, Antitrust

[News] Zenwalk Linux Pleases Reviewer
Zenwalk 4.8 Review ,----[ Quote ] | I am just in love with xfce based distributions; they are fast, simple and | elegant and Zenwalk is no exception. It has a really good control center and | out-of-box multimedia support. `---- http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/zenwalk-48-review.html Related: Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready ,----[ Quote ] | The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release. | | After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very | stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version | ever.   `---- ...

[News] Macs are Great... Linux Boxes
Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX ,----[ Quote ] | An East German company will soon begin selling an IP-PBX setup based | on a Mac Mini running Linux. 4S Newcom's iBlue package comes with an | iPod Shuffle that acts as a boot device for the Mac Mini, plus five | Linux-based VoIP phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8680369796.html Linus argues that while the hardware/box looks attractive, it is actually a PITA to work with (its firmware). On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:55:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX > > ,----[ Quote ] >| An...

[News] IBM Thinkpads Sold with SUSE Linux, Full Support Included
This relates to Lenovo's recent annoncement. ThinkPad--now with Suse Linux ,----[ Quote ] | In addition, Lenovo will provide Linux support for the laptop, | including drivers and its ThinkVantage technologies found on ThinkPad | loaded with Microsoft's Windows operating system, he said. `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1005_3-6105543.html?part=rss&tag=6105543&subj=news ...

News about SAS
Dear SAS Users, The user acceptance testing period has been completed without any problems reported. Please make sure you do not leave any SAS processes running overnight or scheduled to be run overnight as Darin will be switching us to the new machine tonight or early tomorrow morning. This will be transparent, your usual sas8 and sas6 command will now run on the new machine. If you should get a message asking to validate the 'host' abraham .... just say 'yes'! Happy SAS'ing on our smaller, faster machine.... I will be on vacation tomorrow, please let the help desk kno...

[News] AlwaysOn 100 Innovators Choose MySQL
MySQL Used By Majority Of "AlwaysOn 100" Innovators ,----[ Quote ] | It is no coincidence that the majority of these "Hot 100" start-ups are | using the MySQL open source database to power their IT infrastructure, | Web sites and products. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=26506&hilite= ...

Free Spreadsheet ?
I'm having difficulty finding a free spreadsheet for the Palm. I'm not looking for anything fancy or advanced, but a simple spreadsheet software that's do common things. Any suggestions? *********************************** FROM BERNARD, of FRANCE : Hi, I am also very interested by the same subject. I've faund MINICALC, but i need key after 30 days. If anybody has one key of Minicalc.....a very good product at least. regards "Arctic Wolf" <SpamShield-ArcticWolf@mail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:bo0m7q$164amr$1@ID-184215.news....

[News] Nimblex GNU/Linux Customised for Users via the Web

Re: DECnet positively in the news #2
Bob Koehler <koehler@EISNER.NOSPAM.ENCOMPASSERVE.ORG> writes ... >[...] > > You may already be aware of this, but DECnet is available on Linux - > > http://linux-decnet.sourceforge.net/index.html > > DECnet is available on just about everything. I can't remember the > last time I had a system that I couldn't get Phase IV for. (Maybe > it was my DECSYSTEM 20's before Phase IV shipped?) I have some consolation for those not as fortunate as Mr. Koehler (e.g. not as well-funded, or simply lacking the time to install DECnet, or even using so...

[News] When You Use Microsoft Windows, You Share Your Desktop with Feds
German government sees itself in good company with online searches ,----[ Quote ] | The spyware then sent information on all internet connections and websites | visited to the FBI, who then arrested the pupil. However, in contrast to the | planned procedure in Germany, CIPAV does not transfer the content of | communications or files. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94988/from/rss09 Related: FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware ,----[ Quote ] | There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we | reported earlier this we...

[News] [Linux] Novell Answers Tough Questions on Microsoft IP
Novell sheds (a little) more light on its patent access deal ,----[ Quote ] | Q. How does Microsoft promising not sue Novell customers gives | Novell engineers sanctioned access to Microsoft code? | | [...] | | In fact, I would suggest that the answer to the first question makes it | clear that the patent access granted by the technical collaboration | agreement and the patent covenant not to sue customers are completely | unrelated. | | It certainly appears to be at odds with Steinman's earlier statement: "the | intellectual property agreement provided a foundation for the | in...

[OT] Haylp! Linux hates my router (or vice-versa)
Before I start bothering the proper forums with this, I thought I'd take a punt with you lot... I've finally got broadband. Hurrah! Except... I have a modem router, with my brother's Windows machine and my own Linux box currently connected to it. The router's at, by bro is at, and I'm The Windows machine has no problems at all (so there's clearly nothing wrong with the router), but I can't get mine to recognise the router for love nor money. I can ping (so it doesn't seem to be a problem with my hardware either;...

Comp.software-eng mini-FAQ (weekly) #76
Last-Modified: 29 Feb 2000 Archive-name: software-eng/mini Welcome to comp.software-eng, a newsgroup for discussion of software engineering and related topics. This mini-FAQ is posted weekly, as a reminder of where to find the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) postings, which appear about every four weeks. The information in the FAQs and the comp.software-eng archives is available through the World-Wide Web at <URL:http://www.cs.queensu.ca/FAQs/SE/> and also <URL:http://www.cs.queensu.ca/Software-Engineering/> Everything visible through the Web is also available via FTP; the ab...

Have you heard the GOOD NEWS?
http://www3.boxke.net << click link for the good news google_groups_usa@yahoo.com wrote: > <snip> << click link for the good news Someone has created a DWIM compiler? [clicks link] Bill, never mind. -- http://billpg.me.uk/ usenet(at)billpg(dot)me(dot)uk ...

/usr/gnu/bin empty
Where are the programs located that should be in /usr/gnu/bin? My directory is empty. JaYmZ The GNU coreutils can be installed using easypack. They will go into /usr/gnu/bin. ...

LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 09-10-07
In today's digest, we have: * Linux Myths Get Broken and Windows Realities Revealed * Novell Gets Greedy (Wants OpenOffice.org for Itself) * [Rival] Resource Hogs and Faulty Computers from Proprietary Vendors * [Rival] Bringing Windows 'Reliability' to People's Health Verdicts * Video: xwinwrap Does Animated Backgrounds in Linux * IBM Chooses Linux in New Google Collaboration * Big New Release for Granular Linux (Granular FunWorks 2007) * Open Source Approach Shows Its Advantage; Radiohead Takes the Open Route * [Rival] The Rob Enderle Bozo Gets ...

QOTW: "I still want to keep compile time type checking to make sure I don't make any mistakes." "Sounds like you want two wives, but I'm pretty sure polygamy gets a checkbox in the naughty category on Santa's list" -- George Jempty (commenting on "Dear Open Source Santa," by Paul Browne) http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/12/dear_open_source_santa.html#comment-384244 "But if you care to give it a closer look, you may understand that Python's main advantage is not seizable by feature and performance charts." -- Soni ...

[News] The MAFIAA and Jammie Thomas Unable to Settle

[News] Open Source Impact in Networking
Getting Over the Love-Hate Dynamic With Open Standards ,----[ Quote ] | While the number of companies installing all-SIP or all-open source | networks continues to grow, it's clear that the overall market | has not gotten over this love-hate relationship with open standards. `---- http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55830.html Still looking for the lockin while peers and customers prefer openness. Open Source Network Configuration Management ,----[ Quote ] | Open source projects have had a significant impact in areas such | as operating systems (Linux), databases (MySQL), web applicat...

[News] Microsoft Munchkinds Are Officially Criminals

Free Software
NormDesk Network Technical Library & Drawing Generator www.ingenieur.de.com Become a member of the NormDesk Network and receive from us our desktop engineering software You can also use our web-based engineering service and create technical drawings in just a few seconds ...

US-MD: Fort Meade-Software Developer, TS/SCI FS Poly
************************************************************** JobCircle.com is the largest regional job board in the Mid-Atlantic region, with tens of thousands of job offerings in PA, NJ, DE, MD, NY, and Washington D.C. To learn more, visit http://www.jobcircle.com?source=ng ************************************************************** Job Title: Software Developer, TS/SCI FS Poly Job Location: MD: Fort Meade Pay Rate: Open Job Length: full time Start Date: 2009-02-19 Company Name: CACI International Contact: Human Resources Phone: email o...