[News] GNU/Linux Improves Rapidly, New Linux Gazette Issue Released

Linux: I've got to admit it's getting better

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently installed Linux (Ubuntu 9.04 “Jaunty Jackalope” to be exact) on my
| not-so-old pentium 4 HT machine, the very same computer where different Linux
| distros have been installed over the course of two years. What struck me most
| after this very latest installation is how Linux has evolved and has become a
| more than capable desktop operating system.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/06/linux-ive-got-to-admit-its-getting.html

Linux Gazette June 2009 (#163):

,----[ Quote ]
|     * News Bytes, by Deividson Luiz Okopnik and Howard Dyckoff
|     * The LG Backpage, by Ben Okopnik and Kat Tanaka Okopnik
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/163/TWDT.html

Recent:

What's wrong with free?

,----[ Quote ]
| So next time you get into a bit of trouble with Windows, just think. It
| doesn't have to be this way. Go on dip your toes in. Ubuntu, Mint, Mandriva,
| openSuse. Just “google” “ask” or “yahoo” one of the names and take a look.
| They are all free so you really do have nothing to loose but ten minutes of
| your time.
|
| Install them, spend a little time playing, give them a chance and I think
| you'll agree, there's nothing wrong with free!
`----

http://327west.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52:whatwrongfree&catid=48:compnetcat&Itemid=55

Editor's Note: We Put the "No" In Innovation!

,----[ Quote ]
| A general rule of marketing is "The more noise they make, the less they have
| to crow about." Who makes the most noise about "innovation"? I bet you can
| guess....
|
| Every day I get virtually snowed under by blizzards of press releases. (I'm
| not sure that email is better than paper, because I could burn paper for
| heat, or compost it. Happy red worms like paper and break it down fast.) A
| few of them actually have something to do with Linux and FOSS. The rest are
| horrid collections of buzzwords, broken HTML, political foamings, spam, and
| irrelevant whatevers.
|
| For a long time the favorite buzzword was "paradigm." Remember all those
| paradigm shifts? There was a bit of humor value because none of them used the
| word correctly. (Wikipedia has an excellent article and definition.) But it
| got boring after the thousandth dopey repetition. Finally it died out, as
| these things do, and its replacement was "innovation". Now there is a
| perfectly good word that does not deserve to be abused in this fashion, but
| marketers are ruthless and without conscience when it comes to word abuse.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-04-24-027-35-PS
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Linux: I've got to admit it's getting better
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I recently installed Linux (Ubuntu 9.04 “Jaunty Jackalope” to be exact)
> | on my not-so-old pentium 4 HT machine, the very same computer where
> | different Linux distros have been installed over the course of two
> | years. What struck me most after this very latest installation is how
> | Linux has evolved and has become a more than capable desktop operating
> | system.
> `----
>
> http://www.junauza.com/2009/06/linux-ive-got-to-admit-its-getting.html

Linux is becoming easier and easier to install and use.  The developers
aren't dumb.  They are doing their research about the people using the
software, and they know that average people need an easier UI.  I get
around fine in *Debian* Linux, and I'm no computer genius.

> What's wrong with free?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | So next time you get into a bit of trouble with Windows, just think. It
> | doesn't have to be this way. Go on dip your toes in. Ubuntu, Mint,
> | Mandriva, openSuse. Just “google” “ask” or “yahoo” one of the names and
> | take a look. They are all free so you really do have nothing to loose
> | but ten minutes of your time.
> |
> | Install them, spend a little time playing, give them a chance and I
> | think you'll agree, there's nothing wrong with free!
> `----
>
>http://327west.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52:
>whatwrongfree
> &catid=48:compnetcat&Itemid=55

I didn't dip in my toes with Linux.  I jumped right in and loved it!

It's easy to test out Linux.  Don't be cheap, people- burn a LiveCD or boot
from a USB device.  Try it out, and I promise that you will like something
about it!  :)
0
wispygalaxy (363)