[News] GNU/Linux Looks Like OS X, But Better Under the Hood

New Ubuntu Mods for Mac Looks

,----[ Quote ]
| If you like OS X's look and feel, but you're a Linux guy or gal at heart,
| this is a mod for you.  While the mod to make Hardy Herron look like OS X has
| been out for a while, it is now available for Intrepid as well.  So whether
| you are running Heron or Intrepid (Ubuntu) you can get the same look and feel
| for the Gnome GUI as you have with OS X.  The Mac4Lin themes allow you to
| customize your Linux box with the same background as the Mac, and additional
| options even give some of the same functionality.  Since the Mac OS and
| Ubuntu share a Unix base most of the common applications for the Mac can be
| found in the Linux world.  Sometimes Apple even borrows things from Linux for
| the Mac OS.
`----

http://www.macmod.com/featured-mods/1793-new-ubuntu-mods-for-mac-looks

This one Ubuntu derivative also looks similar to OS X and there's a new
release:

gOS 3.1 Gadgets SP1 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The gOS (”good OS”) project released SP1 of gOS 3.1 Gadgets. The Linux based
| gOS is an excellent Operating System for Netbooks & NetTops.
`----

http://eeepc.itrunsonlinux.com/the-news/1-latest-news/253-gos-31-gadgets-sp1-released

Recent:

Turn Your Ubuntu Intrepid Into Mac OSX Leopard

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an updated version of my previous post Turn Ubuntu Hardy into Mac
| OSX.
|
| That post was written six months ago and many things have changed during this
| period of time: release of Ubuntu Intrepid, newer Mac4Lin theme, better
| globalmenu applet etc. As such, I have decided to rewrite this tutorial for
| the Intrepid platform.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/turn-your-ubuntu-intrepid-into-mac-osx-leopard/2009/01/08

Why Desktop Linux Holds Its Own Against OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple spends millions of dollars each year to explain why OS X is the world's
| best desktop operating system. That doesn't necessarily mean it's true.
|
| TechRepublic blogger Jack Wallen recently posted ten things that he thinks
| Linux does better than Mac OS X. His list is a welcome antidote to Apple's
| (unsurprising) party line: Anything Linux can do, OS X can do better.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/01/why_desktop_lin.html

The Difference Between Vista, XP, Linux and Mac OS Explained

,----[ Quote ]
| A middle school student I know asked me to explain the difference between
| Vista, XP, Linux and Mac OS.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/155470/the_difference_between_vista_xp_linux_and_mac_os_explained.html

10 things Linux does better than OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| #1: Flexibility
|
| [...]
|
| #2: Open source
|
| [...]
|
| #3: Command line
|
| [...]
|
| #4: Hardware requirements
|
| [...]
|
| #5: Security
|
| [...]
|
| 6. Portability
|
| [...]
|
| #7: Cost
|
| [...]
|
| #8: More available software
|
| [...]
|
| #9: Not so dumbed-down
|
| [...]
|
| #10: Keyboard efficiency
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=461

Moving from Mac to Ubuntu: Why I’m switching

,----[ Quote ]
| Why I’m leaving Mac
|
|    1. Crap file management.The Finder doesn’t work for me. No location bar
|    and no tree strucure side panel makes it difficult to navigate folders and
|    move files around the way I want to.
|    2. Insufficient panels & customization. In Ubuntu I can have as many
|    panels I want, can put all kinds of stuff on them, and can arrange them
|    however I want. In OSX You just have the dock, and you can really only put
|    applications or files on them, and you can’t even put in a separator to
|    keep them organized.
|    3. Various other annoyances. Such as:
|           * program menus are glued to the top of the screen on one monitor
|           only, which detaches them from the window. This is especailly
|           annoying when the program you’re using is on the second monitor.
|           * the date/time doesn’t open to a navigable calendar. I often use
|           this to check dates in the past or future.
|           * you can’t see hidden files unless you run a command from the
|           terminal to turn them on. Thus, hidden files are either always on
|           or always off.
`----

http://meganmcdermott.com/2008/08/29/moving-mac-ubuntu-switching/

A Mac Devotee Looks at Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex"

,----[ Quote ]
| If Apple came out with a netbook, I'd be tempted to choose it over a
| Linux-based netbook for a variety of reasons. One of them is that it would
| slot into our Mac-centric home network (mostly in terms of syncing and
| existing software) more easily. Another is that I've been more blown away by
| the iPod Touch than I ever thought I could be, and an Apple netbook might
| have the same effect. Today, however, that choice doesn't exist and won't for
| the forseeable future, and as my shoulders and back start to ache and cramp
| from the time spent in front of a desktop writing overlong blog posts, an
| Ubuntu netbook continues to be an increasingly attractive option.
`----

http://diderotsdiary.iannelli.us/2008/12/mac-devotee-looks-at-ubuntu-810.html

Ubuntu on an iBook

,----[ Quote ]
| I started by backing up my information. Everything, everything - including
| the System Folder. I used Disk Copy to image everything in around 600 MB
| chunks so that I could burn them to a CD.
`----

http://linuxtidbits.wordpress.com/2008/11/28/ubuntu-on-an-ibook/

Dell Mini Inspiron 9

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m living the dream, I tell you! I’ve swapped my MacBook for a Dell Mini and
| so far the experience has been pretty positive.
`----

http://jonrob.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/dell-mini-inspiron-9/

Ubuntu and Mac OS X Integration

,----[ Quote ]
| So, when everything is said and done, I was able to achieve all my stated
| goals. The only outstanding issue that I haven’t yet figured out yet centers
| on automatic logins; for both AFP and SMB/CIFS, I get prompted for a password
| when connecting, even though I keep my password synchronized (manually)
| between my Mac and the Ubuntu server. Any tips on how to resolve that would
| certainly be appreciated.
`----

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2009/01/02/ubuntu-and-mac-os-x-integration/

gOS Gadgets aims Ubuntu at cloud computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, gOS represents an intriguing Ubuntu re-spin. Its most significant
| contribution will probably be its use as a proof-of-concept platform for
| netbooks, netpads, and MIDs intended to run mostly web-based applications —
| what might be called mobile “cloud computing” devices.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/gos-gadgets-aims-ubuntu-at-cloud-computing/

gOS and a bag full of mostly goodies

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, I have to say that I did go and look at gOS Gadgets...and downloaded
| it...and installed it on my daughter's computer: P4 1.2Ghz or thereabouts,
| with 768Mb RAM and a 64Mb ATI video card. The following is not in any
| particular order and I've included pros and cons as I've gone along.
|
| [...]
|
| So, would I recommend it? Yes. Do I like it? Yes. More importantly, do my
| children like it? A resounding YES!
`----

http://www.cookingwithlinux.com/content/gos-and-bag-full-mostly-goodies

GOS 3 is Still the Best Linux OS