[News] GNU/Linux on $99 PC; With Windows, It's 50% More Expensive

NorhTec Gecko Surfboard: $99 Linux PC in a keyboard

,----[ Quote ]
| The oft-delayed ASUS Eee Keyboard is a great
| concept – squeezing everything from a nettop
| into a QWERTY form-factor – but what if your
| computing ambitions are even more moderate?
| NorhTec reckon they have the product for you
| in the shape of the Gecko Surfboard,
| outwardly a regular QWERTY keyboard but
| actually packed with a 1GHz x86 system-on-
| chip (SoC), VGA and composite video outputs,
| 10/100 ethernet and optional WiFi b/g or even
| 3G.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/norhtec-gecko-surfboard-99-linux-pc-in-a-keyboard-1766281/

Norhtec Gecko Surfboard Keyboard PC

,----[ Quote ]
| The Norhtec Gecko Surfboard Keyboard PC comes
| with a choice of either Linux or Windows XP
| as the operating system, prices star at just
| $99 for the Linux version and about $149 for
| the Windows XP version.
`----

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/norhtec-gecko-surfboard-keyboard-pc-18-12-009/

NorhTec Geko Surfboard Will Be At CES 2010

http://www.i4u.com/article29365.html

PC fits into keyboard, uses only five Watts

,----[ Quote ]
| Thailand-based NorhTec announced a device
| touted as "the world's most energy-efficient
| desktop computer," offered for only $99 with
| the Linux version. Built into a standard-
| sized keyboard, the "Gecko Surfboard" runs on
| a 1GHz x86 SoC (system on chip), operates
| fanlessly, and uses just five Watts, the
| company says.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/NorhTec-Gecko-Surfboard/

Recent:

Dell intros new low-cost ultrathin, Vostro V13

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell has introduced a new low-cost ultrathin
| notebook, the Vostro V13. The system closely
| resembles Dell's recently released flagship
| Adamo, except it's lighter and a grand
| cheaper. The Vostro V13 is about 0.65in thin,
| weighs 3.5lbs and starts at $449 with Ubuntu
| 9.04 or $599 with Windows 7 Home Premium.
`----

http://www.techspot.com/news/37253-Dell-intros-new-lowcost-ultrathin-Vostro-V13.html

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Reasons to Embrace GNU/Linux at OS X's and Windows' Expense

[News] How GNU/Linux Workspaces Improve Productivity; GNU/Linux in a Window|Windows

[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future
Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems ,----[ Quote ] | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616 Dell explains Linux delays ,----[ Quote ] | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has | just not been announced yet," Greffier added. `---- http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000...

[News] [Linux] It's All About GNU/Linux on the DreamWorks Desktops (and Servers)
DreamWorks Animation "Shrek the Third": Linux Feeds an Ogre ,----[ Quote ] | All the big film studios primarily use Linux for animation and | visual effects. Perhaps no commercial Linux installation is larger | than DreamWorks Animation, with more than 1,000 Linux desktops and | more than 3,000 server CPUs. `---- http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9653 Needless to say, they don't surf the Web with these workstations (yet another reason to ignore Web stats-based figures). Related: ,----[ Quote ] | "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at m...

[News] HP's Dumping of Windows Seems Linked to GNU/Linux Embrace; Windows Summit in Remond is Dead

Linux Loons Break Into Congressman's Office and trash PC's By Installing Linux on them.
Linux Loons Break Into Congressman's Office and trash PC's By Installing Linux on them. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/26/vandals_install_linux_on_congressman_office_computers/ "According to a statement by the Grimm campaign, large stones and concrete were thrown through the campaign office windows during or around the same time miscreants "corrupted and erased the hard-drive of the campaign computer server, which contains confidential campaign files and polling data", by installing Linux*." These criminals should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. There is nothing worse than installing Linux on a PC. It renders the PC 100 percent useless to the average office worker. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! Typical Linux loving liberal democrats at work. Foster wrote: > Linux Loons Break Into Congressman's Office and trash PC's By > Installing Linux on them. > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/26/vandals_install_linux_on_congressman_office_computers/ > > "According to a statement by the Grimm campaign, large stones and > concrete were thrown through the campaign office windows during or > around the same time miscreants "corrupted and erased the hard-drive > of the campaign computer server, which contains confidential > campaign files and polling data", by installing Linux*." > > These criminals should be prosecuted to the fullest...

[News] [Linux] Gradual Move from People's Windows to Linux Partition
Why Ubuntu is Better Than Windows ,----[ Quote ] | At first I thought it would only be a matter of time before I had to | jump to Windows to use some software that would only work on Windows. | Well, that hasn't happened yet. Anything Windows can do Ubuntu can | do quicker, better, and faster. | | [...] | | Microsoft has a stranglehold on the market and most people just use | Windows because its what they use first and never want to leave it. `---- http://mikerouse.blogspot.com/2007/04/why-ubuntu-is-better-than-windows.html Got XP and Ubuntu Linux Dual Booting ,----[ Quote ] | After ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Device Comes to Windows Vista's Rescue
Review: Yoggie Pico personal firewall ,----[ Quote ] | In summary, the Yoggie Pico appears to perform as advertised, | silently thwarting attacks and exploits, and without requiring | installation expertise. Unlike our ZoneAlarm and other software | firewalls we have used, the device was refreshingly silent, never | producing esoteric, jargon-rich error messages that made us stop | and scratch our heads -- after the initial browser certificate | message, at least. | | Technical users, though, may not appreciate the Yoggie's stoic | nature. A richer Web interface with easier log fi...

[News] Linux's Increasing Domination in Devices and the Year of GNU/Linux
The Year of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Linux absolutely is doing well in embedded devices, and I'm sure that trend | is going to continue. But Linux has not yet regained the ground that Unix | lost in the SMB application market. Back in the 80's and even into the 90's, | that market was strongly pro-Unix. A lot of it was SCO, of course, because | this was all before Linux existed. Microsoft took that market away, but I see | no reason that Linux couldn't take it back - Linux SHOULD take it back | because Linux servers make much more sense than Microsoft and of course cost |...

[News] Refurbished Linux PC's for $99
The Symphony PC provides a stable computer for browsing the web, playing music, doing schoolwork and much more. http://www.rpquinn.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=30 ...

[News] Motorola's Older Linux Phones Live on, TomTom's Linux Devices Improve

[News] Nokia's and Ampro's Ubuntu GNU/Linux Adoption
Nokia embraces Ubuntu OS ,----[ Quote ] | Nokia’s Internet Tablet devices are set to get a port of the Linux operating | system Ubuntu, following the release of the latest ‘Hardy Heron’ v8.04 of | Ubuntu this week. `---- http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/linux/nokia-embraces-ubuntu-os--330238 Ampro Debuts Ubuntu-Based Embedded Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Ampro Computers Inc. has introduced Ampro Embedded Linux to support the | company’s line of board-level embedded computers. Derived from Ubuntu | packages, an increasingly popular form of Linux, Ampro Embedded Linux is a | free, open-source, reduced-footprint operating system. It is enhanced with | device-oriented features such as its default touch-enabled Hildon graphical | user interface (GUI) and other selected technologies from the Ubuntu Mobile & | Embedded (UME) project. `---- http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=18854 Recent: Why Ubuntu on ARM Could be a Rich Seam ,----[ Quote ] | ARM today announced that the total number of processors shipped by its | Partners has exceeded ten billion. | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ | | [...] | | A Nokia-sponsored project is porting Ubuntu Linux to the ARM architecture. `---- http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-ubuntu-on-arm-could-be-rich-seam.html Linux still top embedded OS ,----[ Quote ] | In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the | following reasons for Linux'...

[News] It's All the Fault of GNU/Linux... Microsoft's Massive Layoffs

[News] [Linux] 90% of Autodesk's Systems Product Revenue is GNU/Linux
Autodesk F1Q08 (Qtr End 4/30/07) Earnings Call Transcript ,----[ Quote ] | As customers continue to transition away from proprietary high-end | SGI workstations, revenue from our Linux based solutions continues | to show strong growth. In fact this quarter, nearly 90% of our | systems product revenue was Linux based. Overall, I'm very | pleased with our performance this quarter. `---- http://seekingalpha.com/article/35916?source=feed Related: Over 100 Additional Post-production Facilities Adopt Autodesk's Visual Effects and Editing/Finishing Systems ,----[ Quote ] | In April 2006...

[News] Google's Linux Phones SDK Becomes a GNU/Linux Distribution
Android SDK in the fly ,----[ Quote ] | The open source community called Vafeo, once more surprises bringing now not | only a full Operational System but one Linux Distro (Vd_android), with | Android SDK built in. In many cases people get bother to mess with the OS | hardDrive in this case, don’t. Because you’re completely able to run it from | your CD, not requiring installation. If you prefer install, you’re free to | choose, just choose where, in second partition, replacing your OS, or also | install in your pen drive. `---- http://www.gphonemodules.com/2008/01/18/anadroid-sdk...

[News] New GNU/Linux Releases: PC/OS 2009v2, Greenie Linux (Slovakia)

Web resources about - [News] GNU/Linux on $99 PC; With Windows, It's 50% More Expensive - comp.os.linux.advocacy

List of most expensive photographs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cindy Sherman , Untitled #153 (1985), $2,700,000, November 2010, Phillips de Pury & Co. New York. ^ Sale 2557, Lot 10. Cindy Sherman, Untitled ...

REPORT: Facebook Advertising More Expensive Year-Over-Year, But ROI Is Up, Too
The bad news for advertisers on Facebook: The cost of advertising on the social network rose dramatically in November 2014 compared with November ...

Infographic: Paid reach on Facebook getting more expensive
... more elusive. But a study by digital marketing agency Flightpath shows that the paid reach of Facebook ads is getting increasingly expensive. ...

Why is room service so ridiculously expensive?
Answer (1 of 10): A big part of it is price discrimination. When people choose hotels, the prices on the room service menu aren't very visible ...

Most Expensive Cars in the World (Lite)
Get Most Expensive Cars in the World (Lite) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Park Place Expensive Real Estate Monopoly - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Expensive Real Estate on Park Place - Feel free to use this image on your blog, website or other publication. Please give attribution to 'PT ...

YouTube - New Worlds Most Expensive House $12.2 Billion Secret Location Switzerland Real Estate Breaking ...
... MANY YEARS WITH THE BEST INFO AND INTEL AND NEWS www.stuarthughes.com & www.exklusiv-haus.ch $12.2 Billion / £ 7.5 billion World's Most Expensive ...

At.mosphere Burj Khalifa: The most expensive (not to mention high) high tea in the UAE?
How would you like your tea? How about on the 122nd floor of the tallest building in the world? At.mosphere Lounge in the Burj Khalifa offers ...

Tony Abbott's expensive humility
Jonathan Swan and Tony Wright