[News] Google's Chrome OS (Linux) Finds New Fans, Misconceptions Addressed

Engadget Hearts Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's forthcoming Chrome OS operating system
| -- previewed recently to mixed reviews -- just
| received a serious nod from Engadget. After
| prepping a USB key so it could boot to Chrome OS
| natively, the tech and gadget blog exclaims,
| "What we're seeing with Chrome OS is actually on
| par performance-wise with our crazy expectations
| for a stripped-down OS." The highly-anticipated
| operating system "boots in mere seconds and
| loads Web sites with the best of them,"
| according to Engadget.
`----

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=118078

Five things Chrome OS isn't

,----[ Quote ]
| Put it all together and you have a fascinating
| operating system, which is still at a very early
| stage of development. Since Chrome OS is built
| on an Ubuntu foundation and uses the Chrome
| browser for its desktop interface, it looks and
| feels more mature than it actually is. I'm
| enjoying playing with it, and I'm going to be
| very interested in seeing how it works out in
| the long run. But one thing Chrome OS certainly
| isn't yet is ready for any kind of final
| verdict.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15148/five_things_chrome_os_isnt

Fear and Loathing of Chrome OS?

,----[ Quote ]
| Certainly Chrome OS shouldn't be anything Linux
| users fear - it is Linux, and although they
| mount the fs RO, you can change that instantly
| with a "-o remount,rw" (at least for now).
|
| To my mind, Microsoft has the most to fear (and
| saying that is probably what caused one nasty
| comment).
|
| So, I guess two issues here: one is the use of
| such OSes/devices at at all and the other is
| whether this is good for Linux. I'd say yes -
| even if potential users don't initially realize
| that they are using Linux!
`----

http://aplawrence.com/Linux/chromeos_fear.html

Google is about to give away computers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux expert Glyn Moody thinks that Google is
| set to give away free computers.
|
| The writer of Rebel Code: Linux and the Open
| Source Revolution said that Chrome OS based free
| netbooks could be offered by Google as a way to
| push its advertising. He said that with open
| source code the unit cost of software close to
| zero, but if people use netbooks the hardware
| will be pretty cheap too.
`----

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16559/1/

Chrome OS Wi-Fi Support Running on a Mini 10v... Source Code Available

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Google released ChromiumOS to the
| open source community at
| http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os.  ChromiumOS
| is a small, optimized OS whose purpose is to
| make it extremely simple and easy to browse the
| web.  Without a network connection, ChromiumOS
| is not very interesting. With a network
| connection, ChromiumOS shines.  The Chromium
| browser is extremely fast and makes for a great
| web-centric browsing experience.  Boot time
| appears quick too - about 12 seconds from
| hitting the power button.

`----
http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2009/11/25/chrome-os-wi-fi-support-running-on-a-mini-10v-source-code-available.aspx

How to Install Chrome OS From A USB Drive

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2009/112509-how-to-install-chrome-os.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Recent:

Five reasons Google Chrome OS Security Wins

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's Chrome OS has many virtues. Based
| on a solid foundation of Ubuntu Linux, it
| uses the Chrome Web browser as its
| interface to any and all applications.
| Chrome OS is also not so much a Windows
| replacement, as it's an attempt to get rid
| of the entire traditional idea of a PC
| desktop. If Google is successful with
| this, one big reason will be its vastly
| improved security.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/security/85913/five-reasons-google-chrome-os-security-wins

Chrome OS: a first look

,----[ Quote ]
| If Google delivers on its promises for
| Chrome OS, then it has a very good chance
| of becoming the dominant force in netbooks
| at around the same time that Android
| starts to mature. That will be a very
| different world to today.
`----

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,1000001098,39899828,00.htm

Chrome OS boots in mere seconds from USB key

,----[ Quote ]
| Once Google Chrome OS is made available on
| partnered netbook devices, we can see a
| new love affair starting. The new
| operating system from Google is both
| simple and fast, and once all the bugs are
| ironed out, will be a match for Windows.
`----

http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/11/25/chrome-os-boots-in-mere-seconds-from-usb-key/

Where is Google Chrome leading us?

,----[ Quote ]
| If Google can make it as easy as turning
| on the machine and get to working, or
| playing immediately and there is little to
| no thought about installing apps or
| configuring drivers, etc.. They will have
| a gold mine. People want simple.
`----

http://linuxgeeksunited.blogspot.com/2009/11/where-is-google-chrome-leading-us.html

Chromium OS - Digging deeper into the open source Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| With the arrival of the first code of Chrome
| OS, also known as Chromium OS in its open
| source form, the H takes a deeper look at the
| browser-centric operating system.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Chromium-OS-Digging-deeper-into-the-open-source-Chrome-OS-866031.html

Chrome OS packaged for virtual run-throughs

,----[ Quote ]
| Hackers have compiled bootable images of the
| code released by Google's Chrome OS project.
| We tested out one of the images on VirtualBox,
| and despite the limitations of the early code,
| we found a flexible, extensible web browsing
| environment that runs well in as little as
| 256MB of RAM.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Google-Chrome-OS-and-gdgt/?kc=rss

Google to anoint Android, Chrome OS love (eventually)

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has confessed that its Chrome OS and
| Android projects are likely to come
| together at some stage down the line as the
| firm continues to tinker with its operating
| system vision of the future.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/23/google_android_chrome_os/

Chrome OS 0.4.22.8 Screenshots

http://www.my-seo-company.com/index.php?linux&release=Chrome%20OS%200.4.22.8

A Chrome OS Video Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Fresh off the Interwebs, here’s a Tech
| Broiler video tour of the latest build of
| Chrome OS.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11662

Chrome's mission: Making Windows obsolete

,----[ Quote ]
| Some people are already convinced that
| Google will fail with its Chrome operating
| system. Others think that Chrome can't
| possibly be a threat to Windows. Both
| groups are so, so wrong.
|
| First, for those who think that Chrome is
| simply a failure from the word "go", their
| reasoning is pathetically flawed. They
| argue that Chrome will fail because it's
| based on Linux. What century are these
| people from?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15135/chromes_mission_making_windows_obsolete

Chromium OS, Moblin, Ubuntu Netbook Remix Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| Next up is Google's much talked about
| Chromium OS, which is the open-source
| version of Chrome OS. With build
| 999.999.32609.201950-a1 of Chromium OS we
| had a 2.6.30 kernel (2.6.30-chromeos-intel-
| menlow), X Server 1.6.3, xf86-video-intel
| 2.8.0, GCC 4.4.1, and an EXT3 file-system
| by default. Chromium OS is currently based
| upon Ubuntu 9.10, but as you can see from
| some of the version numbers, it's only
| loosely based on Karmic -- with an entirely
| different kernel, not opting to use the
| EXT4 file-system, and many other underlying
| changes. Chromium OS is also running with
| the Chrome OS window manager. From our
| initial Chromium OS testing it had ran
| surprisingly well on the Samsung NC10 in
| our hardware configuration with the only
| major bug we have to report being the
| system not rebooting properly unless
| holding down the power button.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=chromium_moblin_benchmarks&num=1

Top 5 Chrome OS myths debunked

,----[ Quote ]
| Misconceptions and misinformation have
| surrounded the Chrome OS almost since the
| day it was announced. This week's press
| conference at Google's Mountain View,
| Calif., campus helped to clear the air, but
| uncertainty about what the search giant's
| new OS has to offer still remains.
|
| The full picture of the Chrome OS will
| become clearer as time rolls on. For now,
| if you want to understand what the Chrome
| OS is, you first have to understand what it
| isn't.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141338/Top_5_Chrome_OS_myths_debunked?taxonomyId=76

Google Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Another fact about Chrome OS, is that it is
| a minimal system, designed for specific
| use. It is NOT a fully-fledged operating
| system with an accompanying software-suite.
| Rather, it is a GUI-system based on the
| Chromium-browser project that lets users be
| "always-logged-in" via various web-services
| (facebook, MSN, twitter, myspace, etc.) all
| in one, single UI.
|
| A great concept for those who only use
| computers for surfing, mail and the like.
`----

http://blog.pizslacker.org/2009/11/google-chrome-os.html

Just Today: Download of VMware Image of Google Chrome OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has prepared its Chromium OS, alias
| Chromium, for download. Anyone hesitant to
| intall if from source code will find a
| functioning VMware image from Linux Magazine
| Online.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/Just-Today-Download-of-VMware-Image-of-Google-Chrome-OS

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Google's OEM Success with Linux Shows Why Microsoft+Their Analysts Can't Help FUDing Chrome OS

[News] GNU/Linux Distributions Comparable to Google's Chrome OS

[News] How Google's Chrome OS Fits Within the GNU/Linux Ecosystem

[News] Chrome OS Released (Not Google's Real Chrome OS)

[News] Google Targets GNU/Linux With Chrome 5.0, Chrome OS (Linux) Overview

[News] Google Chrome for GNU/Linux Has New Version, Review of Chrome OS

[News] Closer Look at Google's Android OS and Chrome OS

[News] First Reviews of Google's Chrome OS/Chromium OS Arrive

Google Chrome OS: Desktop Linux's Last Chance
<quote> "The year of Linux" - For how many years now have we come across this headline, usually prefaced by a bygone year? It must be for at least ten years. But even now, despite the apparent popularity of distros such as Ubuntu, and even green shoots of interest from big OEMs such as Dell, desktop Linux languishes with a sub 1% market share. And what growth that is occurring happens at a snail�s pace. Is there any hope that Linux can actually make significant gains and become a credible alternative to Windows and Mac OS X? Well, there is, and help is coming from the Internet�s 1,000-pound gorilla � Google. A failure on the part of Chrome OS won't kill off Linux, but it could well put an end of any illusions that Linux is going to make a big hit any time soon. In fact, a Chrome OS failure could set back Linux a decade. Linux would still have a place of devices, such as cell phones and GPS receivers, but mainstream aspirations would have to be put on hold for some time. So, Linux has reached an interesting point. If Google�s Chrome OS succeeds, then it changes the whole Linux community in one swoop and risks marginalizing other distros. But if it fails, it�ll be a huge failure for Linux, and a strong indication that no matter how much of a push it gets, Linux just doesn�t have what it takes to make it big. At which point we can retire �The year of Linux� for a few years. </quote> http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/383109...

[News] More Early Reviews of Google's Chromium OS (Linux)

[News] Google's Linux OS Runs on the Sharp Zaurus
Android OS running on Sharp Zaurus PDA ,----[ Quote ] | Eschewing Android on a software emulator, the team at eu.edge instead turned | their attentions to another venerable Linux-based mobile device: Sharp’s | Zaurus SL-C760. Only officially sold in Japan, the C760 has a 640 x 480 VGA | screen and uses a 400MHz Intel XScale processor together with flash storage. | By rebuilding the Android directory tree on a host PC to match that of the | emulator, then mount that as an NFS share on the Zaurus, they were able to | get the Google Phone platform to boot. `---- http://www.google-...

Is Google's Linux based Chrome OS killing Micoshaft?
Is Google's Linux based Chrome OS killing Micoshaft? ---------------------------------------------------- Looks like it is! Micoshaft shares falling, while google has rocketed today. Come this time next year, I wonder if we will be looking at a $13 micoshaft share price in line with diminished earnings? 7 wrote: > Is Google's Linux based Chrome OS killing Micoshaft? > ---------------------------------------------------- > > Looks like it is! > > Micoshaft shares falling, while google has rocketed today. > > Come this time next year, I wonder if we will be > looking at a $13 micoshaft share price in line > with diminished earnings? > Well it's a bit early to make predictions... but IMHO it's *Microsoft* that's killing Microsoft On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:27:22 +0000, 7 wrote: > Is Google's Linux based Chrome OS killing Micoshaft? > ---------------------------------------------------- > > Looks like it is! > > Micoshaft shares falling, while google has rocketed today. > > Come this time next year, I wonder if we will be looking at a $13 > micoshaft share price in line with diminished earnings? I'd wait at least until it's been released to make any predictions. "ray" <ray@zianet.com> schreef in bericht news:7bk73cF1u6fq6U79@mid.individual.net... > On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:27:22 +0000, 7 wrote: > >> Is Google's Linux based Chrome OS killing M...

[News] Google's Linux OS a Lot More Than People Realise
More than an open handset OS ,----[ Quote ] | Blogger Sender11 applauds the fact that user experience experts, and not | just "uber-geeks and hip turtleneck middle management" are involved in the | OHA. "I am looking forward to see what those guys can come up with!" he | writes. `---- http://www.americasnetwork.com/americasnetwork/Top+Stories/More-than-an-open-handset-OS/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/478034?contextCategoryId=39793 http://tinyurl.com/2n9t2k Google's Android OS ,----[ Quote ] | Android is built on open source software. The main operating system...

[News] Positive Effects of Google's Linux OS on the Jobs Market

Google's launching Linux-based Chrome OS netbook in 3 days!
Hold on to your chairs, Sweaty ain't gonna like this: [quote] The headline pretty much reveals the brunt of it, but indeed, it looks like next week Google is going to start talking about how its Chrome operating system is coming along. Multiple sources have told us that Google will be holding some sort of event on Tuesday, December 7th -- we're not sure if it'll be a live event, a webcast, or something else entirely -- and that the shindig will see the launch of that Google-branded Chrome OS netbook we've been hearing about. [/quote] http://www.engadget.com/2010/1...

[News] Google's Linux-based Desktop OS Rumoured to be Days Away

[News] New OPhone OS Based on Linux; Nokia's Vision of MeeGo Phones

[News] Google's GNU/Linux/KHTML(WK)-based OS Integrates Directly with SaaS

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

[News] [Linux] More Speculations About a Google OS Based on GNU/Linux
Google admits that it is going after Microsoft Office... Is Windows next? ,----[ Quote ] | So that brings us to the obvious question: What about the operating | system? There have been rumors for years about a Google PC and/or | Google OS that was based on Linux and aimed at providing a simple, | intuitive desktop for the masses. Naturally, that Google PC would | primarily be an Internet terminal that features Google's online | applications. `---- http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=465 Still getting slapped for spyware (Dell) and news aggregators... Google stands firm behind N...

[News] New Distribution of Chromium OS and Chrome OS from Google

[News] Reasons to Embrace GNU/Linux at OS X's and Windows' Expense

[News] Google's Linux Challenged by More Open Mobile Linux
Linux phone to Debut upgrade at CES, Google Android looking stupid ,----[ Quote ] | OpenMoko has announced an upgrade to its Linux-powered mobile phone and plans | to present the device at CES. That’s a slap in the face for open source | competitor Google Android, which is still in development.In its announcement, | OpenMoko writes “. . . at CES we will formally preview GTA02 to the public. | We are doing this at an invitation-only media event, and not the general show | floor.” `---- http://voipstash.com/blog/2008/01/05/linux-phone-to-debut-upgrade-at-ces-google-android-looking-st...

Web resources about - [News] Google's Chrome OS (Linux) Finds New Fans, Misconceptions Addressed - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Common English usage misconceptions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Teachers and textbook writers often invent rules which their students and readers repeat and perpetuate. These rules are usually statements about ...

Common Misconceptions - Quora
Quora is your best source for knowledge.

Misconceptions About the Universe - YouTube
Can we see things travelling faster than light? Check out Audible: http://bit.ly/AudibleVe Music by Amarante "One Last Thing" http://bit.ly/VeAmarante ...

Climate change Q & A: basic facts about common misconceptions
Everything you wanted to know about climate change but were afraid to ask

This recent discovery at Stonehenge clears up a huge misconception about the monument
VIDEO: Fourteen women and nine men were found in a cremation burial near Stonehenge.

Poll finds Tony Abbott's assumed security strength a misconception
Tony Abbott's principal perceived strength over Malcolm Turnbull &ndash; his uncompromising approach to national security &ndash; is an illusion, ...

Gen-Y Aussies volunteer more than their elders despite misconceptions they're a self-centred mob
FORGET "Generation Me" - turns out young Aussies are more like "Generation We".

The common misconception about domestic violence murders
Contrary to the common assumption that police often receive several red flags before a domestic violence murder, a new study shows most victims ...

Muslims, murder and misconceptions: Australia's gaps show in global 'Index of Ignorance'
Australians are mostly wrong on what our society looks like. We think there are far more Muslims in Australia than there actually are, and that ...

Australia's mosques throw open their doors in attempt to 'shake away misconceptions' about Islam
Hundreds tour mosques nationwide as part of an event aimed at breaking down misconceptions about Islam.