[News] Government of France and Texas Lean Towards Free/Open Source/Open Data

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

FR: Chamber of Commerce selects open source for craftsmen

,----[ Quote ]
| A DVD with a selection of free and open
| source software applications tailored to
| very small businesses (VSBs), was
| published by the Chamber of Commerce for
| Crafts and Trades of the French Somme
| Department, earlier this year.
|
| "Our goal is to assist VSBs in their use
| of office productivity tools and business
| applications", writes Alain Bethfort,
| president of the organisation, in his
| introduction.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-chamber-of-commerce-selects-open-source-for-craftsmen

Texas moves emphasize need to open source education

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas has created an enormous opportunity
| for states, for communities, for
| publishers, and for authors to use open
| source and mass customization to transform
| education, just as those savings are most
| needed.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/texas-moves-emphasize-need-to-open-source-education/6561

Spreading the Word about Open Government Data

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most amazing - and heartening -
| developments in the world of openness
| recently has been the emergence of the
| open government movement. Although still
| in its early stages, this will potentially
| have important ramifications for business,
| since one of the ideas at its heart is the
| opening up of government datasets for
| anyone to use and build on - including for
| commercial purposes (depending on the
| particular licences). The UK and US are
| leading the way in this sphere, and an
| important question is to what extent the
| experiences of these two countries can be
| generalised.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2976

Recent:

Texas Group Brings Linux Computers Home

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2008, The HeliOS Project built, placed and supported 329 computers where
| they were needed.  Sometimes it was necessary to travel over 100 miles to do
| it.  Admittedly, 329 computers doesn’t sound like much.  Not many at all in
| the scope of things.  That is until you take into consideration one relevant
| fact.
|
| It was done almost exclusively by one man.  One guy in a a beat up old Isuzu
| Rodeo with questionable braking ability and over a quarter million miles on
| it…that’s averages out to 1 computer installed in a child’s home every 26.6
| hours in a year’s time.
`----

http://www.heliosinitiative.org/blog/?p=3

0
Reply Roy 5/26/2010 6:32:21 AM

See related articles to this posting
comp.os.linux.advocacy 117183 articles. 8 followers. Post

[News] More Governments Leaning Towards Openness and Free(dom) Software

[News] British Government and Free Software, Open Data

[News] UK Government Think of Open Source Data

[News] Free/Open Source Software Invades Governments

[News] Transparency in Government Data, Inspired by Open Source
Towards the principles of open government data ,----[ Quote ] | I got a sense for the importance of the task talking with Dan O’Neil, who | is “people person” for Everyblock.com, a remarkable project headed by Adrian | Holovaty designed to be a “one-stop shop” for information about urban | neighborhoods, including building permits, crime reports, planned | improvements, school information, etc. Dan’s job is to negotiate with | government officials in the twenty cities Everyblock seeks to map, and gain | access to vast geocoded data sets. Armed with a set of principles and best | practi...

[News] Another Free/Open Source Software Win in France

[News] Belgian Government Chooses Free Open Source Software
Belgium Government Deploys IONA's Open Source FUSE(TM) ESB ,----[ Quote ] | The system which was developed with ETNIC, the information technology agency | of the Belgium French community, is using IONA's FUSE ESB (Enterprise Service | Bus) to integrate the multiple applications, servers and databases to | facilitate real-time registration and validation of over one million student | records. `---- http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/880269/ A route to reducing corruption (kickbacks) in procurement as well. Open source government ,----[ Quote ] | The Execu...

[News] Free Open Source Software Acceptance by American Government Rising
Open source gaining traction in U.S. government ,----[ Quote ] | More than half of all U.S. government executives have rolled out open-source | software at their agencies, and 71 percent believe their agency can benefit | from open-source software, according to a survey. `---- http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071102/tc_infoworld/93089 Ideally, the government wants everyone to use Windows (reasons listed below). Only the government should be permitted use secure software like Linux (the same goes for Germany and Austria). It's quite disgusting when the authorities /want/ people t...

[News] South African Government Advances Free Open Source Strategy
A critical eye on the glamorous Open Source ,----[ Quote ] | Open source remains one of this year's hot IT topics. Last month the | government announced the formal adoption of its open source policy and | strategy in a cabinet statement declaring that the government would migrate | to open source software. | | [...] | | In its announcement last month, the government also stated that all | new software developed for, or by, government will be based on open | standard. We congratulate it for this excellent initiative. `---- http://www.mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=6117 From p...