[News] Government of France and Texas Lean Towards Free/Open Source/Open Data

FR: Chamber of Commerce selects open source for craftsmen

,----[ Quote ]
| A DVD with a selection of free and open
| source software applications tailored to
| very small businesses (VSBs), was
| published by the Chamber of Commerce for
| Crafts and Trades of the French Somme
| Department, earlier this year.
|
| "Our goal is to assist VSBs in their use
| of office productivity tools and business
| applications", writes Alain Bethfort,
| president of the organisation, in his
| introduction.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-chamber-of-commerce-selects-open-source-for-craftsmen

Texas moves emphasize need to open source education

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas has created an enormous opportunity
| for states, for communities, for
| publishers, and for authors to use open
| source and mass customization to transform
| education, just as those savings are most
| needed.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/texas-moves-emphasize-need-to-open-source-education/6561

Spreading the Word about Open Government Data

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most amazing - and heartening -
| developments in the world of openness
| recently has been the emergence of the
| open government movement. Although still
| in its early stages, this will potentially
| have important ramifications for business,
| since one of the ideas at its heart is the
| opening up of government datasets for
| anyone to use and build on - including for
| commercial purposes (depending on the
| particular licences). The UK and US are
| leading the way in this sphere, and an
| important question is to what extent the
| experiences of these two countries can be
| generalised.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2976

Recent:

Texas Group Brings Linux Computers Home

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2008, The HeliOS Project built, placed and supported 329 computers where
| they were needed.  Sometimes it was necessary to travel over 100 miles to do
| it.  Admittedly, 329 computers doesn’t sound like much.  Not many at all in
| the scope of things.  That is until you take into consideration one relevant
| fact.
|
| It was done almost exclusively by one man.  One guy in a a beat up old Isuzu
| Rodeo with questionable braking ability and over a quarter million miles on
| it…that’s averages out to 1 computer installed in a child’s home every 26.6
| hours in a year’s time.
`----

http://www.heliosinitiative.org/blog/?p=3

0
Roy
5/26/2010 6:32:21 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 120861 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

[News] More Good News for Linux-based Handset Devices
Esmertec And Yuhua TelTech Set New Benchmark With 1-stop Solution For Linux-Based Mobile Devices ,----[ Quote ] | Esmertec announced that Yuhua TelTech, a Chinese Independent Design | House (IDH) for mobile devices, has chosen Esmertec's 1-stop solution | for its Linux-based platform for mobile devices and smart phones. The | platform will be shipped on Linux-based handset devices for the | European and Chinese market at the end of December 2006. `---- http://linux.sys-con.com/read/310276_p.htm Linux is becoming big in China's mobile industry. It is disruptive enough to have had Bal...

[News] [Rival] More Microsoft Lawsuits, Antitrust

Faculty positions in simulation and data analytics at extreme scale
KAUST invites applications for faculty positions in computational simulation and data analytics at extreme scale at all levels beginning in the Fall of 2014. Candidates may seek appointment to the Applied Mathematics and Computational Science program or Computer Science, or both, and be affiliated with the Strategic Initiative in Extreme Computing, whose primary focus is numerical algorithms for emerging architectures with a premium on energy efficiency at scale, through reduction in communication, synchronization, and storage, and algorithm-based fault tolerance. Experience with appli...

[News] Zenwalk Linux Pleases Reviewer
Zenwalk 4.8 Review ,----[ Quote ] | I am just in love with xfce based distributions; they are fast, simple and | elegant and Zenwalk is no exception. It has a really good control center and | out-of-box multimedia support. `---- http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/zenwalk-48-review.html Related: Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready ,----[ Quote ] | The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release. | | After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very | stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version | ever.   `---- ...

[News] Macs are Great... Linux Boxes
Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX ,----[ Quote ] | An East German company will soon begin selling an IP-PBX setup based | on a Mac Mini running Linux. 4S Newcom's iBlue package comes with an | iPod Shuffle that acts as a boot device for the Mac Mini, plus five | Linux-based VoIP phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8680369796.html Linus argues that while the hardware/box looks attractive, it is actually a PITA to work with (its firmware). On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:55:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX > > ,----[ Quote ] >| An...

[News] IBM Thinkpads Sold with SUSE Linux, Full Support Included
This relates to Lenovo's recent annoncement. ThinkPad--now with Suse Linux ,----[ Quote ] | In addition, Lenovo will provide Linux support for the laptop, | including drivers and its ThinkVantage technologies found on ThinkPad | loaded with Microsoft's Windows operating system, he said. `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1005_3-6105543.html?part=rss&tag=6105543&subj=news ...

News about SAS
Dear SAS Users, The user acceptance testing period has been completed without any problems reported. Please make sure you do not leave any SAS processes running overnight or scheduled to be run overnight as Darin will be switching us to the new machine tonight or early tomorrow morning. This will be transparent, your usual sas8 and sas6 command will now run on the new machine. If you should get a message asking to validate the 'host' abraham .... just say 'yes'! Happy SAS'ing on our smaller, faster machine.... I will be on vacation tomorrow, please let the help desk kno...

[News] AlwaysOn 100 Innovators Choose MySQL
MySQL Used By Majority Of "AlwaysOn 100" Innovators ,----[ Quote ] | It is no coincidence that the majority of these "Hot 100" start-ups are | using the MySQL open source database to power their IT infrastructure, | Web sites and products. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=26506&hilite= ...

Free Spreadsheet ?
I'm having difficulty finding a free spreadsheet for the Palm. I'm not looking for anything fancy or advanced, but a simple spreadsheet software that's do common things. Any suggestions? *********************************** FROM BERNARD, of FRANCE : Hi, I am also very interested by the same subject. I've faund MINICALC, but i need key after 30 days. If anybody has one key of Minicalc.....a very good product at least. regards "Arctic Wolf" <SpamShield-ArcticWolf@mail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:bo0m7q$164amr$1@ID-184215.news....

[News] Nimblex GNU/Linux Customised for Users via the Web

Re: DECnet positively in the news #2
Bob Koehler <koehler@EISNER.NOSPAM.ENCOMPASSERVE.ORG> writes ... >[...] > > You may already be aware of this, but DECnet is available on Linux - > > http://linux-decnet.sourceforge.net/index.html > > DECnet is available on just about everything. I can't remember the > last time I had a system that I couldn't get Phase IV for. (Maybe > it was my DECSYSTEM 20's before Phase IV shipped?) I have some consolation for those not as fortunate as Mr. Koehler (e.g. not as well-funded, or simply lacking the time to install DECnet, or even using so...

[News] When You Use Microsoft Windows, You Share Your Desktop with Feds
German government sees itself in good company with online searches ,----[ Quote ] | The spyware then sent information on all internet connections and websites | visited to the FBI, who then arrested the pupil. However, in contrast to the | planned procedure in Germany, CIPAV does not transfer the content of | communications or files. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94988/from/rss09 Related: FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware ,----[ Quote ] | There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we | reported earlier this we...

[VERY ot] WEB sources of middle school MATH word problems
Why post here? 1. If you weren't good at restating and solving you wouldn't be here ;) 2. Many are parent/grand-parent/.... 3. I'm an >60 bachelor needing help whose mother threatened him with "kids JUST like him" :) I'm attempting to tutor a 15 yro ADHD male who has TOO GOOD A MEMORY. [ He remembers _answers_ teacher got when solving homework for class. He _DOES NOT_ remember process. ] I've done some *PRELIMINARY* Google searches. [ And just in case someone else is going in this direction, I like http://mathforum.org/d...

Have you heard the GOOD NEWS?
http://www3.boxke.net << click link for the good news google_groups_usa@yahoo.com wrote: > <snip> << click link for the good news Someone has created a DWIM compiler? [clicks link] Bill, never mind. -- http://billpg.me.uk/ usenet(at)billpg(dot)me(dot)uk ...

[News] [Linux] Novell Answers Tough Questions on Microsoft IP
Novell sheds (a little) more light on its patent access deal ,----[ Quote ] | Q. How does Microsoft promising not sue Novell customers gives | Novell engineers sanctioned access to Microsoft code? | | [...] | | In fact, I would suggest that the answer to the first question makes it | clear that the patent access granted by the technical collaboration | agreement and the patent covenant not to sue customers are completely | unrelated. | | It certainly appears to be at odds with Steinman's earlier statement: "the | intellectual property agreement provided a foundation for the | in...

LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 09-10-07
In today's digest, we have: * Linux Myths Get Broken and Windows Realities Revealed * Novell Gets Greedy (Wants OpenOffice.org for Itself) * [Rival] Resource Hogs and Faulty Computers from Proprietary Vendors * [Rival] Bringing Windows 'Reliability' to People's Health Verdicts * Video: xwinwrap Does Animated Backgrounds in Linux * IBM Chooses Linux in New Google Collaboration * Big New Release for Granular Linux (Granular FunWorks 2007) * Open Source Approach Shows Its Advantage; Radiohead Takes the Open Route * [Rival] The Rob Enderle Bozo Gets ...

Python-URL!
QOTW: "I still want to keep compile time type checking to make sure I don't make any mistakes." "Sounds like you want two wives, but I'm pretty sure polygamy gets a checkbox in the naughty category on Santa's list" -- George Jempty (commenting on "Dear Open Source Santa," by Paul Browne) http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/12/dear_open_source_santa.html#comment-384244 "But if you care to give it a closer look, you may understand that Python's main advantage is not seizable by feature and performance charts." -- Soni ...

[News] The MAFIAA and Jammie Thomas Unable to Settle

[News] Open Source Impact in Networking
Getting Over the Love-Hate Dynamic With Open Standards ,----[ Quote ] | While the number of companies installing all-SIP or all-open source | networks continues to grow, it's clear that the overall market | has not gotten over this love-hate relationship with open standards. `---- http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55830.html Still looking for the lockin while peers and customers prefer openness. Open Source Network Configuration Management ,----[ Quote ] | Open source projects have had a significant impact in areas such | as operating systems (Linux), databases (MySQL), web applicat...

[News] Microsoft Munchkinds Are Officially Criminals

Free Software
NormDesk Network Technical Library & Drawing Generator www.ingenieur.de.com Become a member of the NormDesk Network and receive from us our desktop engineering software You can also use our web-based engineering service and create technical drawings in just a few seconds ...

[News] Free Software Business Shows Signs of Growth in Bad Economy

Good news and bad news!!
The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding of Agile development or experience in using Ruby. =A335 - =A345k, London Contact me for more information 01189897601 grant@connectionsrecruit.co.uk grant.bodie@gmail.com wrote: > The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have > a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. > > Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding...

How print binary data on screen
I am trying to print binary data on screen but I got the following error. f = open('/home/ehsen/1.mp3','rb') g = f.read() print g Traceback (most recent call last): File "<input>", line 1, in <module> File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/py/shell.py", line 1160, in writeOut self.write(text) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/py/shell.py", line 950, in write self.AddText(text) File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-gtk2-unicode/wx/stc.py", line 14...

[News] GNU/Linux faces challenges as it goes mainstream
Where does Linux go from here? ..---- | Linux is now mainstream -- so mainstream, in fact, that two of | the top three Linux distributions are commercially successful | operations, and the third aims to be. Every day, more and more | old-school IT firms shake off their initial doubts, get in line | behind their customers, and try Linux and other free software | projects. In the face of such success, will Linux remain true to | its free software ideals and to the community which created it? Or | will it morph into a corporate byproduct, driven by the bottom | line, and complacent with all f...