[News] Government of France and Texas Lean Towards Free/Open Source/Open Data

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

FR: Chamber of Commerce selects open source for craftsmen

,----[ Quote ]
| A DVD with a selection of free and open
| source software applications tailored to
| very small businesses (VSBs), was
| published by the Chamber of Commerce for
| Crafts and Trades of the French Somme
| Department, earlier this year.
|
| "Our goal is to assist VSBs in their use
| of office productivity tools and business
| applications", writes Alain Bethfort,
| president of the organisation, in his
| introduction.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-chamber-of-commerce-selects-open-source-for-craftsmen

Texas moves emphasize need to open source education

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas has created an enormous opportunity
| for states, for communities, for
| publishers, and for authors to use open
| source and mass customization to transform
| education, just as those savings are most
| needed.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/texas-moves-emphasize-need-to-open-source-education/6561

Spreading the Word about Open Government Data

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most amazing - and heartening -
| developments in the world of openness
| recently has been the emergence of the
| open government movement. Although still
| in its early stages, this will potentially
| have important ramifications for business,
| since one of the ideas at its heart is the
| opening up of government datasets for
| anyone to use and build on - including for
| commercial purposes (depending on the
| particular licences). The UK and US are
| leading the way in this sphere, and an
| important question is to what extent the
| experiences of these two countries can be
| generalised.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2976

Recent:

Texas Group Brings Linux Computers Home

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2008, The HeliOS Project built, placed and supported 329 computers where
| they were needed.  Sometimes it was necessary to travel over 100 miles to do
| it.  Admittedly, 329 computers doesn’t sound like much.  Not many at all in
| the scope of things.  That is until you take into consideration one relevant
| fact.
|
| It was done almost exclusively by one man.  One guy in a a beat up old Isuzu
| Rodeo with questionable braking ability and over a quarter million miles on
| it…that’s averages out to 1 computer installed in a child’s home every 26.6
| hours in a year’s time.
`----

http://www.heliosinitiative.org/blog/?p=3

0
Reply Roy 5/26/2010 6:32:21 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 120084 articles. 13 followers. Post

[News] More Governments Leaning Towards Openness and Free(dom) Software

[News] Open Access, Open Government and Open Data Celebrate Many Wins

[News] City of Vancouver set to back open source, open standards, open data
---[Quote] "Mayor Gregor Robertson and Coun. Andrea Reimer want the City of Vancouver to support open-source software and open standards. They also want the city to make as much data as possible freely available to the public..." http://www.straight.com/article-220944/city-vancouver-set-back-open-source-open-standards-open-data -- Attila Registerd Linux user #445917 at http://counter.li.org/ Attila wrote: > ---[Quote] > "Mayor Gregor Robertson and Coun. Andrea Reimer want the City of Vancouver > to support open-source software and open standards. > > They also...

[News] A Shift in Mindset from Open Source to Free Libre Open Source
Does Open Source Licensing Matter? ,----[ Quote ] | While the title of the panel was "Why Open Source Licensing Matters," panel | moderator Matt Asay, vice president of business development at Alfresco, said | it does matter, though maybe not for all the people on this panel. Asay | recently helped to move Alfresco from a SugarCRM-type attribution license to | the GPLv2. | | Though the panel didn't agree on the value of OSI-approved open source | licensing, it did agree on the value of the open source model. | | "Open source as a community matters," Asay ...

[News] Google Maps: Open API's, Open Data, and Open Source Code
Open-source project treads on Google Maps turf ,----[ Quote ] | Volunteer "citizen cartographers" are aiming to take on the | likes of Google Maps and Britain's Ordnance Survey by creating | a free, open-source wiki-style map of the planet. `---- http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6134871.html begin oe_protect.scr Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Open-source project treads on Google Maps turf > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Volunteer "citizen cartographers" are aiming to take on the >| likes of Google Maps and Britain's Ordna...

[News] Open Source Winner for Voting Machines, More on Free Open Source Advantages
US/Canada Team Wins Voting Machine Competition ,----[ Quote ] | Chaum later developed his own system, Scantegrity, from the same concept used | in Punchscan. Scantegrity is fully open source (in Java). Chaum says the | system is easy to implement with current optical-scan voting systems, thus | reducing costs and the time it would take to get the voting system certified | and implemented in election districts. `---- http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/07/us-team-wins-vo.html You're never alone with Plone ,----[ Quote ] | Ask Plone users what they like best about the open-sour...

[News] Open Source NexentaStor Gets Better, Open Source Data Integration Recommended

[News] Free/Open Source Software Discovery Made Easier; Open Source SEO
OpenLogic preparing open source software discovery tool ,----[ Quote ] | The tool identifies software by digital fingerprints, comparing | them to OpenLogic's library of 800 of the most commonly used | open source packages. `---- http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/04/openlogic_prepa.html Squiz to demo v3.12 of MySource Matrix Open Source CMS - the SEO Killer Web App - at Internet World ,----[ Quote ] | In short, MySource Matrix v3.12 has been designed to enable users to | enhance their Google rankings without a mountain of cash, nor an | army of consultants. At Intern...

[News] Another Free/Open Source Directory Site Launched (Open Source Living)
Open Source Living - Directory of Applications ,----[ Quote ] | Open Source Living is an archive of the best open source applications. | Software is sorted by categories, such as Web, Graphics, Audio. And while not | every application listed at Open Source Living is entirely cross-platform, a | good deal of them are. `---- http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/12/29/open-source-living-directory-of-applications/ Related: European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros ,----[ Quote ] | Rishab Ghosh, a senior researcher at the UN University in Maastricht, | will tell the Open Ireland...

[News] Free is Not Open, Open is Not Free

[News] Open Source Gains Momentum, Stanford Opens Open Source Lab
Open source on campus: The Stanford Open Source Lab ,----[ Quote ] | Over the last few months, open source has gained momentum at Stanford | University in the form of the Stanford Open Source Lab. Inspired by groups | like the Free Software Foundation, Oregon State University’s Open Source Lab, | Drupal, Openflows Community Technology Lab, and MIT’s Open Course Ware, a few | people at Stanford decided to band together and dedicate their time and | energies to the development of free/open/libre learning and knowledge | resources. `---- http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/02/12/open...

[News] Firefox an Free/Open Source Success Story; Projects Elevated Owing to Open Source
Ross: Firefox Goes Where Few Browsers Have Gone Before ,----[ Quote ] | Blake Ross continues to work on the Firefox browser and on the upcoming | 3.0 version of the browser. But Ross is also involved in a new | company called Parakey, which he has said is working on | building essentially a Web-based operating system. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2104133,00.asp Jive Software finds its voice ,----[ Quote ] | Jive Software offers an open-source version of Openfire for free and sells | a higher-end enterprise version to companies for $15 per user per year. `---- http://news.co...

[News] [OSS] RISC OS Jealous of Free Software, Praises Open Source, Goes Open Source
RISC OS News: Wakefield 2007 show report ,----[ Quote ] | Chatting to Jack, it seemed apparent that he is perhaps a little | envious of the lively community-based websites in the Linux, BSD, BeOS | and Apple Mac platforms. Websites such as Fresh Meat, kernel.org and | haiku-os.org allow fellow developers to download source code, collaborate | on projects, discuss bugs and features, and generally form a feeling | of cohesion within a platform. It also encourages outside coders | and organisations to join in because they'll be more willing to try | out an operating system that has an active...

[News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source
Es operating system http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnes.sourceforge.jp%2F&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 iPhone Dev Team to Open Source Free Unlock Software ,----[ Quote ] | In an effort to keep up with Apple's changes at a faster speed, the iPhone | Dev Team is considering open sourcing AnySIM, the free unlocking solution for | the iPhone. `---- http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/exclusive/iphone-dev-team-to-open-source-free-unlock-software-328846.php Related and very recent (and exciting!): Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found   ,----[ Quote ]...

[News] PacktPub Rewards Open Source Projects, Sun Opens Open Source Portal

[News] SourceForge Starts Open Source Contest; Open Source Software Comes to SOA; Open Source Content is Like a Baby
Open Source Community Honors Its Best and Brightest ,----[ Quote ] | The second annual SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards build on the | resounding community interest and success of the inaugural awards. `---- http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/marketwire/0275543.htm Bringing Open Source to SOAs ,----[ Quote ] | Although large commercial vendors made early strides into the market for SOA | software, open-source components are rapidly finding their way into the | picture. | | Vendors such as Iona Technologies, Red Hat, MuleSource, WSO2, Sun | Microsystems and even IB...

[News] Google Resolves Android Open Source Licensing Issues, Texas Instruments Welcomes Open Source Applications
Google and Sun may butt heads over Android ,----[ Quote ] | Google most likely built Dalvik as a way to get around licensing issues with | Sun that would have come with using JME, said Stefano Mazzocchi, a developer | and board member at Apache Labs. `---- http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/111607-google-and-sun-may-butt.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news They just need to keep Novell and the Microsoft proxies (IP poison) out of it. TI frees its DSP toolchain for open source apps ,----[ Quote ] | Texas Instruments (TI) is offering open source developers free use of its | closed-source toolcha...

[News] More Open Culture, Open Data, and Open Hardware

[News] Government Gives $150,000 to Build Open Source Game Engine, John Carmack Committed to Open Source
Profs Building Open-Source Educational Gaming Engine ,----[ Quote ] | Washington State University Vancouver professor Scott Wallace and University | of Puget Sound computer science professor Andrew Nierman were recently | awarded a $150,000 grant from the National Science Foundation to build a | gaming engine designed to make learning computer science more absorbing for | students. `---- http://campustechnology.com/articles/49650/ QuakeCon Wrapup [with John Carmack] ,----[ Quote ] | Q: I wanted to say thank you for open-sourcing the Quake 3 engine, it's made | a huge differenc...

[News] Open Source Tools Help New Zealand's Web Accessibility, New Zealand Government Wins Open Source Award
NZ government wins open source award ,----[ Quote ] | The New Zealand State Services Commission's (SSC) championing of open-source | software in government helped its ICT (Information and Communications | Technology) branch pick up an award in the government category of the | inaugural New Zealand Open Source Awards, held in Wellington this month. `---- http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=395783089&rid=-50 Student exposes NZ govt Web site shortcomings ,----[ Quote ] | Bradshaw concentrated on sight disabilities in his project, using a panel of | testers who are blind, ...

[News] [SOT] Open Government is Open Like an Open Sore

[News] Free Open Source Keeps Thriving, Relies on Open Standards
Open Source Is Calling ,----[ Quote ] | Open-source technology has transformed the enterprise-software landscape in | the past several years. Offerings such as Linux, OpenOffice and SugarCRM have | arrived to bring the cost and quality benefits of community-developed and | community-maintained software to almost every business sector. `---- http://www.voip-news.com/feature/open-source-calling-121207/ Open Enterprise Interview: Dominic Sartorio ,----[ Quote ] | Successful ISVs go out of their way to plan for interoperability, starting in | version 1, with modular and standards-based ...

Governments Open to Open Source
,----[ Quote ] | The government market is more than willing to dive into open source | software (OSS) but providers will have to work for the opportunity. `---- http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=31282&src=site-marq ...

[News] Free Software vs. Open Source vs. Open Standards
Why “Open Source” misses the point of Free Software ,----[ Quote ] | As the advocates of open source draw new users into our community, we free | software activists have to work even more to bring the issue of freedom to | those new users' attention. We have to say, “It's free software and it gives | you freedom!”—more and louder than ever. Every time you say “free software” | rather than “open source,” you help our campaign. `---- http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html Open Source: Beyond Infrastructure ,----[ Quote ] | We all know that open source...