[News] Government of France and Texas Lean Towards Free/Open Source/Open Data

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

FR: Chamber of Commerce selects open source for craftsmen

,----[ Quote ]
| A DVD with a selection of free and open
| source software applications tailored to
| very small businesses (VSBs), was
| published by the Chamber of Commerce for
| Crafts and Trades of the French Somme
| Department, earlier this year.
|
| "Our goal is to assist VSBs in their use
| of office productivity tools and business
| applications", writes Alain Bethfort,
| president of the organisation, in his
| introduction.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-chamber-of-commerce-selects-open-source-for-craftsmen

Texas moves emphasize need to open source education

,----[ Quote ]
| Texas has created an enormous opportunity
| for states, for communities, for
| publishers, and for authors to use open
| source and mass customization to transform
| education, just as those savings are most
| needed.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/texas-moves-emphasize-need-to-open-source-education/6561

Spreading the Word about Open Government Data

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most amazing - and heartening -
| developments in the world of openness
| recently has been the emergence of the
| open government movement. Although still
| in its early stages, this will potentially
| have important ramifications for business,
| since one of the ideas at its heart is the
| opening up of government datasets for
| anyone to use and build on - including for
| commercial purposes (depending on the
| particular licences). The UK and US are
| leading the way in this sphere, and an
| important question is to what extent the
| experiences of these two countries can be
| generalised.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2976

Recent:

Texas Group Brings Linux Computers Home

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2008, The HeliOS Project built, placed and supported 329 computers where
| they were needed.  Sometimes it was necessary to travel over 100 miles to do
| it.  Admittedly, 329 computers doesn’t sound like much.  Not many at all in
| the scope of things.  That is until you take into consideration one relevant
| fact.
|
| It was done almost exclusively by one man.  One guy in a a beat up old Isuzu
| Rodeo with questionable braking ability and over a quarter million miles on
| it…that’s averages out to 1 computer installed in a child’s home every 26.6
| hours in a year’s time.
`----

http://www.heliosinitiative.org/blog/?p=3

0
Reply Roy 5/26/2010 6:32:21 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 118406 articles. 12 followers. Post

[News] More Governments Leaning Towards Openness and Free(dom) Software

[News] British Government and Free Software, Open Data

[News] Free/Open Source Software Invades Governments

[News] UK Government Think of Open Source Data

[News] Transparency in Government Data, Inspired by Open Source
Towards the principles of open government data ,----[ Quote ] | I got a sense for the importance of the task talking with Dan O’Neil, who | is “people person” for Everyblock.com, a remarkable project headed by Adrian | Holovaty designed to be a “one-stop shop” for information about urban | neighborhoods, including building permits, crime reports, planned | improvements, school information, etc. Dan’s job is to negotiate with | government officials in the twenty cities Everyblock seeks to map, and gain | access to vast geocoded data sets. Armed with a set of principles and best | practi...

[News] Another Free/Open Source Software Win in France

[News] Belgian Government Chooses Free Open Source Software
Belgium Government Deploys IONA's Open Source FUSE(TM) ESB ,----[ Quote ] | The system which was developed with ETNIC, the information technology agency | of the Belgium French community, is using IONA's FUSE ESB (Enterprise Service | Bus) to integrate the multiple applications, servers and databases to | facilitate real-time registration and validation of over one million student | records. `---- http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/880269/ A route to reducing corruption (kickbacks) in procurement as well. Open source government ,----[ Quote ] | The Execu...

[News] Hungarian Government Starts Implementing Free/Open Source Software

[News] Free Open Source Software Acceptance by American Government Rising
Open source gaining traction in U.S. government ,----[ Quote ] | More than half of all U.S. government executives have rolled out open-source | software at their agencies, and 71 percent believe their agency can benefit | from open-source software, according to a survey. `---- http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071102/tc_infoworld/93089 Ideally, the government wants everyone to use Windows (reasons listed below). Only the government should be permitted use secure software like Linux (the same goes for Germany and Austria). It's quite disgusting when the authorities /want/ people t...

[News] South African Government Advances Free Open Source Strategy
A critical eye on the glamorous Open Source ,----[ Quote ] | Open source remains one of this year's hot IT topics. Last month the | government announced the formal adoption of its open source policy and | strategy in a cabinet statement declaring that the government would migrate | to open source software. | | [...] | | In its announcement last month, the government also stated that all | new software developed for, or by, government will be based on open | standard. We congratulate it for this excellent initiative. `---- http://www.mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=6117 From p...

[News] Indonesian Government Pledges to Pursue Free/Open Source Software
[Indonesia:] Govt pledges to pursue open-source software ,----[ Quote ] | In spite of a deal with the U.S.-based software giant Microsoft, | the government pledged Wednesday that it would continue promoting | the use of open-source software. | | [...] | | Kusmayanto said -- without mentioning Microsoft by name -- that | dependence on one operating system would curtail the country's | freedom to choose software most consistent with its own needs. | | | [...] | | The deal has, however, come under fire, including from the House | of Representatives, with critics arguing that it will cr...

[News] Finnish Migration to Free Open Source Software at Government Level
Ministry of Justice of Finland chooses OpenOffice ,----[ Quote ] | Ministry of Justice of Finland has made the decision to adopt the Open | Source OpenOffice.org suite as its office software from beginning of 2007. | Ministry of Justice and its branch of administration will also adopt | OpenDocument Format standard as the file format for its documents. `---- http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=24732 ...

[News] South African Government Pressured to Adopt Free Open Source
Fossfa calls on African leaders to adopt FOSS ,----[ Quote ] | "We believe this model - developing software by a community of peer | reviewed activists, participants and employees and gifting the results | back into the community to be further developed by others thus extending | the cycle - can be extended to economic and social development in Africa. | It is in this context that the FOSS model emerges as a powerful model | for African development. `---- http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1169 ...

[News] Government Push by Free/Open Source Group, Bolzano Sells Out to Microsoft

[News] Free/Open Source Having Influence on UK, US Government, Even Opera

[News] Free Open Source Works in Philippine Government, Perception is Sole Barriers
FOSS and e-Governance ,----[ Quote ] | And there you have it: FOSS in e-government projects work; they're | cost effective; and they've been met by LGU officials with warm | welcome. So to reiterate the question: why isn't government | adopting more FOSS applications to improve local processes? | | The main reason, it seems, is the lack of awareness. `---- http://villageidiotsavant.blogspot.com/2007/03/foss-and-e-governance.html Related: Management 'scared' by open source ,----[ Quote ] | And the suits are resorting to play-it-safe legal advice and | draconian manage...

[News] QNX Software Systems Leans Towards Open Source for Its Operating System
QNX Opts for Open Source (Sort of) ,----[ Quote ] | QNX Software Systems is going open source -- sort of. More specifically, QNX | is opening access to the source code of its QNX Neutrino real-time operating | system (OS) under a new hybrid software licensing arrangement. `---- http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/201805595 Many O/Ses end up becoming open source (3 examples below). Related: Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps ,----[ Quote ] | Linux use in "next" embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278 | percent over that in "previous&q...

[News] Communication Appliances Market Heading Towards Free Open Source/Linux
Open Source Communications Appliances Becoming the 'Rage' These Days ,----[ Quote ] | The open-source PBX space is generating more and more interest | among resellers and corporations alike. It seems the move from | software to appliances is a good one and I expect the uptake | of open-source communications products to be greater than ever. `---- http://opensourcepbx.tmcnet.com/topics/open-source/articles/5895-open-source-communications-appliances-becoming-rage-these-days.htm http://tinyurl.com/2g9a6p Related: Storm bets on open source Asterisk ,----[ Quote ] | "The Asteri...

[News] South African Government Decides to Move to Free Open Source Software
Government switches to Open Source ,----[ Quote ] | Cape Town - Cabinet has approved a policy and strategy to implement | Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) in government, government | communications head Themba Maseko said on Thursday. `---- http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?iSectionId=2888&iArticleId=3695987 http://tinyurl.com/2c8lbz ...

[News] Signs of Movement Towards Free Open Source Software, Potential IPOs Named

[News] Indian Government's Interest in Free Open Source Software on the Rise
CIO India: United & Open ,----[ Quote ] | FOSS is playing an increasingly important role in Indian e-governance. | NIC has built several portals and applications using Plone, a | FOSS-based content management system. CDAC-Chennai has developed | BOSS, a GNU/Linux distribution that is aimed at government departments. | Many states like Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and also Delhi, are migrating to | FOSS in small steps. FOSS is becoming politically mainstreamed. The | Communist Party of India (Marxist) has asked the Centre to use FOSS | in all its e-governance initiatives. The draft IT policy of th...

[News] Government of Ghana Uses GNU/Linux, Explores Free Open Source Software Legistlation
Ghana pursuing open source policy ,----[ Quote ] | The minister also said that "Ghana's legislators, of which I am a member, | use Linux to support the computing facilities at Parliament House". `---- http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1472 Related: Uncertainty over Microsoft schools deal ,----[ Quote ] | The current agreement between the Department of Education and Microsoft | that allowed South African public schools free Microsoft licences is | soon coming up for renewal. Whether the deal will be renewed and what | the details of the deal will be, still remain uncerta...

[News] Government of Denmark Adopts Free Software, "Open Source for America" Progress Report

[News] CIOs Must Consider Free Open Source Software, South Africa Government Studies Its Role
Any CIO not using open source "should be fired": a conversation with CIOs ,----[ Quote ] | Great stuff. Open source is changing the way we think about software, and our | interactions with it. This is particularly true if you're a CIO. `---- http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9815015-16.html New South African Open Source Software Market Report Examines the Extent of OSS Applications in the Country ,----[ Quote ] | This Frost & Sullivan research service titled South African Open Source | Software Market examines the extent of OSS applications in the country. The | stud...