[News] Hardware Companies Push Free Software

Open Source Mainstream Begins to Flow Through IBM i Land

,----[ Quote ]
| So when does open source software become
| mainstream in IBM Power Systems i
| environments? It's fair to say that mainstream
| is not even close to an accurate description
| today. But don't think it's disappearing from
| the radar screen. More people are discovering
| open source software, and you should expect
| this frontier to be well traveled sooner
| rather than later. Larry Augustin, chief
| executive officer at SugarCRM and open source
| frontiersman, uses the term "safe bet" to
| describe enterprise open source software at
| the dawn of 2010.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh020110-story03.html

Texas Memory delivers PCIe flash for open source community

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source drivers are a by-product of the
| design philosophy behind the RamSan PCIe SSD
| family. The core functionality of the RamSan
| PCIe card is in the hardware itself versus
| other PCIe designs where the driver does most
| of the work. This thin driver offers a simple
| control paradigm and is easy to port and
| manipulate as open source. It offers little
| burden to the host system and creates a nice
| division of labor between the host and the
| device allowing the host system to operate to
| its maximum potential.
`----

http://www.wwpi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8250:texas-memory-delivers-pcie-flash-for-open-source-community&catid=221:other-storage-media-ssd-hdd-blades&Itemid=2701223

Recent:

Texas Memory Systems Delivers Fastest PCIe Flash for Open Source Community

,----[ Quote ]
| RamSan-20 open source drivers for Linux and
| Solaris are now available to provide
| economical, high performance PCIe Flash
| storage.
`----

ABI's Jeffrey Orr on rising Linux netbook sales

,----[ Quote ]
| After ABI Research projected that Linux
| will take a 32 percent share of netbooks in
| 2009 and wo;; overtake Windows in 2013, we
| spoke with ABI analyst Jeffrey Orr on the
| findings. Orr notes the rise of
| international consumers and ARM Cortex-A8-
| based netbooks, and discusses Ubuntu,
| Moblin, Android, and Chrome OS.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/ABI-netbook-study-with-Jeffrey-Orr-interview/?kc=rss

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Company Relies on Free Software, Charity Killer Distributes Free Software

[News] Company Discovers Free Software Through Linux and Asterisk
Asterisk opens one company's eyes to open source ,----[ Quote ] | AFS runs the Asterisk phone system on two Linux servers -- one in Rochester | and another in Atlanta -- using the Inter-Asterisk Exchange (IAX2) protocol | to connect the two via a VPN. If the VPN goes down, the system is designed to | immediately begin using the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN). `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/117262 Another major addition to Red Hat's offer: JBoss speeds up business rules engine ,----[ Quote ] | Gains in speed in version 4.0 have resulted in rules processing in |...

[News] Australian Company and Senator Push for Free Software

[News] Major Anti-Free Software Company Secretly Uses Free Software Methods Internally

[News] Company Ports Hardware-Software Solution from Windows to Linux
WildPackets Announces Omnipliance Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The WildPackets Omnipliance is a turn-key hardware and software solution | that gives network engineers unprecedented, real-time visibility into | remote network segments. Each Omnipliance is a 3U rack-mountable | appliance that runs a WildPackets' OmniEngine and sends real-time | analytics and monitoring results to a central OmniPeek console. The | company has been shipping a Microsoft� Windows� 2003 version of the | appliance since November 2004. The Omnipliance Linux version will | be available at the end of this month. | | &quo...

[News] [FT] Brits Fight Crime with Free Software; Another Company Embraces Free Software Development
Blender animations help prevent crime in Britain ,----[ Quote ] | Using Blender is Ball's first experience with open source software, but he | hopes it won't be the last. He says that he always looks for open source | alternatives now. He uses OpenOffice.org at home, and he's looking at | Jahshaka as a possible editing application for his work with digital video. | Ball says the biggest boon to using open source is that powerful applications | like Blender are free. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/114462 Sapotek Launches Free Software Project ,----[ Quote ] | "...

[News] Italy Organises GNU/Linux Event, Free Software Push

[News] Well-established Company Discovers GNU/Linux, Free Software
CEO says Sangoma cards made Asterisk great ,----[ Quote ] | Mandelstam launched Sangoma in 1984, at which time the company engineered | data transfers using PCs. In 2004, Mandelstam noticed open source | software. "As we grew, we found that technologies like Linux were natural | partners. When you write applications, it is much easier to work in open | source operating systems." `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/126527 Recent: French police deal blow to Microsoft ,----[ Quote ] | The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft | for the fr...

[News] Company That Microsoft Paid to Attack Linux Sees Free Software Growing

[News] Company Gets Linux Product Improved Thanks to Hardware and Software Transparency
How The INQUIRER helped debug OSD hardware ,----[ Quote ] | The moral of the story? A concerned and caring executive at the helms | of a company needs no investment in advertising and PR firms to polish | any tarnished public image. The company will be successful just | because users, buyers and customers will trust it. In the case of | Neuros Technology, the company has made transparency and openness | its core value. Where else in Silicon Valley can you find a hardware | firm where developers and engineers meet over open IRC (Internet | Relay Chat) and anyone can join the conversati...

[News] Companies Without Licence for Non-free Software Should Consider GNU/Linux Migration

[News] Free Software Inspires More Free/Libre Hardware

[News] [Linux] Free Virtualisation Software Pressures Proprietary Out of GNU/Linux
XenSource, NEC to Partner on Virtualization ,----[ Quote ] | XenSource has signed a new agreement with NEC that looks to expand the | market for XenEnterprise. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2149939,00.asp Can VMware, Xen, Microsoft match newbies' innovations? ,----[ Quote ] | Qumranet is succeeding where big vendors like VMware and XenSource | failed: conquering the Linux kernel. | | [...] | | Fedora 7 and Knoppix 5.2 already offer it, for example. `---- http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid94_gci1262279,00.html http://tinyurl.c...

[News] A Journey From UNIX to Linux; Role of Linux in Free Software Promotion
Gift of a desktop Part 2 ,----[ Quote ] | Take Maddog for example. This man was a | system administrator, like me. When he | worked for Digital Equipment Corporation | (DEC), a too-big-to-fail mega corporation, | he told everyone that UNIX was dying and | "Linux is inevitable!" They laughed at him | but since he did a lot of favors for people | he had enough gift-economy credits to | convince folks to gift a computer to some | college kid in Finland. Who was this boy | genius who promised to replace the UNIX | operating system this DEC computer ran with | free software he helped write himself? | Linus Tourvalds. | Maddog could retired with the gift of that | one desktop as the feather in his cap. | Instead he has dedicated his career to | spreading the word about free software | since then. Indeed, Linux is International. `---- http://whatwillweuse.com/2010/06/22/gift-of-a-desktop-part-2/ Linux – The father of open source ,----[ Quote ] | When someone says “open source” a lot of | people think about programs with open | source code or Linux. Linux was started | back in the 90′s by Linus Torvalds. The | projected expanded a lot in the years that | would follow. It became people’s best | choice for the minimal and light operating | system that works on nearly every machine. | Wonder why the supercomputers run Linux? | The main reason is security. The other | reason is it’s lightness. In my opinion | Linux is the best option for the user...

[News] Linux Hardware Support Further Improved; Sun Buys Hardware Company
Rt2x00 project for wireless nearing success ,----[ Quote ] | Van Doorn describes the project's goal as enabling a device that "works out | of the box. The driver should be rock-solid, have excellent data throughput, | and not consume more memory than strictly needed. For advanced users, it | should be possible to create multiple virtual interfaces and put them all in | master mode for software access point and create an extra virtual interface | for monitor mode just to show off to users of other operating systems. | | "Linux support for Ralink hardware has had a bad ...

[News] Linux/Free Software Managing to Sell at Less Than Free (Android)

[News] Space Exploration with Free Software on Linux, Powerful Audio Software
Watch and explore outer space with Stellarium, Celestia, and Xplanet ,----[ Quote ] | Using three free software programs, you can look at and virtually travel to | places millions of miles away without leaving your GNU/Linux desktop or | paying a dime. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/129082 Kokkini Zita: The Audio Software Of Fons Adriaensen ,----[ Quote ] | Looking at the software listed at Kokkini Zita it's easy to see where | developer Fons Adriaensen's interests lie. He has written one of the best | organ synthesizers for Linux, he has contributed to the LADSPA collec...

[News] Why Proprietary Software Has Liability Advantage Over GNU/Linux/Free Software

[News] Why GNU/Linux is Great: Linux CLI Bonus and Free Software Programming

[News] Linux New Media Chooses Free Software, Some More F/OSS News

[News] [Linux] 5 Reasons to Use GNU/Linux (Free Software Magazine)
Why everybody should use GNU/Linux, and how? ,----[ Gist ] | Number one reason, it's fun. | | Reason two, therefore: it's free. | | Reason three: community. | | Reason four: responsibility. | | Reason five: it is very reliable. `---- http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/beginners_gnu_linux_part_1 Related: 11 reasons to use Linux instead of Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux. | Just like Windows, Linux has software that doesn't run on Windows. | Great pieces of software like Amarok, Bluefish, Neverball, Gn...

[News] Linux Medical News Promoters Carry on Pressuring for Free Software in Healthcare

[News] Epidemiological Analysis Software Brought to GNU/Linux, Becomes Free Software

[News] New Issue of Linux Journal, Free Software Magazine on Linux Event

Web resources about - [News] Hardware Companies Push Free Software - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Wikipedia:WikiProject Companies/TaskForce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... would be beneficial for us as a group, and for wikipedia in general if someone went around and put most state/nation owned franchises and companies ...

How credit card companies know what we will do in the future
Our enthusiasm for electronic payments has gifted credit card companies with a crystal ball.

How credit card companies know what we will do in the future
Our enthusiasm for electronic payments has gifted credit card companies with a crystal ball.

Media Companies Focus on Marketing Their Publishing Platforms to Others
In the search for new revenue streams, publishers including Vox Media and The Washington Post are hoping to interest other companies in the content ...

Netflix is still hurting cable companies, but the bleeding may have slowed
Cable companies have been losing pay TV subscribers for years but some new data suggests that they've at least superficially slowed the bleeding. ...

'Good for business': UK tech companies make their feelings on the EU known
UK tech companies are strongly in favour of remaining in the European Union, according to a poll from industry trade body techUK . The poll, ...

One of London's biggest fintech companies quietly laid off staff last year
International money transfer startup WorldRemit quietly cut around 30 staff in London and the US last July. Business Insider was tipped off ...

Some companies letting employees take off work after pet dies
Loss of a pet can be devastating and some companies are now coming up with a solution: pet bereavement days

Rubio: If Companies Are Caught Abusing H-1B Visa Program, ‘They Should Never Be Allowed to Use it Again’ ...
Republican presidential candidate Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said Thursday at CNN’s GOP presidential debate at the University of Miami that if ...

Student Loan Companies Tell Congress: Debt-Collection Robocalls Are In Borrowers’ Best Interest
... close a loophole allowing the government to make debt-collection robocalls. But you know who does support robocalls? The student loan companies ...