[News] IBM and Google Get Cozy with MySQL and Support the Company

IBM, MySQL team up on database software

,----[ Quote ]
| Executives at IBM, the world's No. 2 software maker, and MySQL told
| Reuters they will announce a technology and marketing partnership
| on Wednesday at a MySQL users' conference in Santa Clara, California.
`----

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/04/25/ibm_mysql_team_up_on_database_software/?rss_id=Boston.com+%2F+News
http://tinyurl.com/2mwwkx

Google offers its own changes to MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Google long has been known to be a user of the open-source MySQL
| database software, but the search powerhouse this week published
| its own changes to the project.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9712307-7.htm

Related:

Solid: Boosting MySQL for Mission-Critical Users

,----[ Quote ]
| MySQL is poised to attract keen attention from F1000s running
| mission-critical apps. A meaner, faster version of MySQL, dubbed solidDB
| for MySQL, is now in general availability (GA). Co-built by MySQL AB and
| Solid Information Technology, it cuts response times, boosts scalability,
| and processed 2x more transactions than Oracle InnoDB, say benchmarks.
`----

http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=548

Solid Unveils 2007 Roadmap of solidDB for MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first time, MySQL users will be able to take advantage of
| these advanced capabilities that are required to preserve
| business continuity and provide high level of service to end-users.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Application/Solid_Unveils_2007_Roadmap_of_solidDB_for_MySQL

MySQL is the company's SQL now...

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's face it; MySQL is a fabulous database engine. Not only is it
| free, it's small, powerful and easy to drive. It also runs happily
| on free operating systems and so it can be used to create
| incredibly cost-effective database servers.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/02/09/mysql_enterprise_edition/

Real-time Linux vendor picks telecom database partner

,----[ Quote ]
| The companies will work together to expand their telecom-specific
| consulting services around MySQL-powered software running on
| FSMLabs's hard real-time enabled Carrier Grade Linux and BSD
| distributions, FSMLabs says.
`----

InnoDB vs MyISAM vs Falcon benchmarks - part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Several days ago MySQL AB made new storage engine Falcon available
| for wide auditory. We cannot miss this event and executed several
| benchmarks to see how Falcon performs in comparison to InnoDB and MyISAM.
|
| [...]
|
| Method of benchmark:
| 1. Prepare table with 1,000,000 records (about 350Mb of data on disk)
| 2. Run each query for 1, 4, 16, 64, 128, 256 concurrent threads.
| 3. For each thread perform a warm-up run (duration 180 sec), and then
| run three effective runs (duration of each is 60 sec).
| As the final result we get a maximal result of three runs
`----

http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2007/01/08/innodb-vs-myisam-vs-falcon-benchmarks-part-1/
http://tinyurl.com/y3x934

MySQL prepares for IPO and reveals Oracle endorsement

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are planning to go public," Mickos told Computer Business
| Review in an exclusive interview, adding that the Uppsala,
| Sweden-based database management vendor is in no hurry to go
| public after raising $18.5m in Series C funding this time
| last year and $39m in total.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=26F5F8B6-8CC6-4529-8DE7-65732FA84347

'MySQL, Linux powers Web 2.0' - O'Reilly

,----[ Quote ]
| Without Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP many Web 2.0 companies would not
| exist today. This is according to Tim O'Reilly, CEO of O'Reilly Media and
| the person most often credited for coining the term Web 2.0.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1125

MySQL is Hiring

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2006/sep/21/mysql_is_hiring

Great Linux Joins Hands with MySQL

http://storage.ittoolbox.com/news/display.asp?i=148211&t=6

MySQL Expands Telecom Consulting & Services to Meet Growing Demand for Its
Open Source Database

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060919/20060919005445.html?.v=1

Open-source integration (Unisys signs partnership with MySQL)

http://www.gcn.com/print/25_28/41991-1.html

MySQL runs fastest

http://asay.blogspot.com/2006/08/mysql-runs-fastest.html

Jigsaw Business Contacts Marketplace Soars Past 3 Million Contacts; MySQL
Open Source Database to Power User-Generated Growth

newsgroups3 (79677)

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:51:50 +0100
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> IBM, MySQL team up on database software
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Executives at IBM, the world's No. 2 software maker, and MySQL told
> | Reuters they will announce a technology and marketing partnership
> | on Wednesday at a MySQL users' conference in Santa Clara,
> California. `----
>
> http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/04/25/ibm_mysql_team_up_on_database_software/?rss_id=Boston.com+%2F+News
> http://tinyurl.com/2mwwkx

interesting, are they dropping db2?

--
The 5 1/4 Floppy Drive to your house is dropping packets because of
Some newbie fatfingering their password. The Sys Admin is smoking crack.

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:51:50 +0100
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> IBM, MySQL team up on database software
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Executives at IBM, the world's No. 2 software maker, and MySQL told
>> | Reuters they will announce a technology and marketing partnership
>> | on Wednesday at a MySQL users' conference in Santa Clara,
>> California. `----

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/04/25/ibm_mysql_team_up_on_database_software/?rss_id=Boston.com+%2F+News
>> http://tinyurl.com/2mwwkx
>
> interesting, are they dropping db2?

Here's the Reg's interesting take.

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/04/25/mysql_ibm_partnership/

"IBM has teamed with database rival MySQL in a deal illustrating how far it's
prepared to go to reach open source developers and stuff Oracle and
Microsoft."

This was a proper marketing deal, so it appeared to be stronger than I had
initially imagined, based on a newer article which goes deeper. Open Source
'Attaway baby'?

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: as good as Richard Stallman's dental
higiene
http://Schestowitz.com  |  Open Prospects   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
Tasks: 122 total,   2 running, 116 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie
newsgroups3 (79677)
4/26/2007 4:45:07 AM
ed wrote:
[...]
> interesting, are they dropping db2?

"The IBM move will mean software applications written for MySQL will run
on the System i machines, but DB2 will still be involved behind the
scenes as the MySQL back-end transactional engine. "

"The two companies will work together to offer the MySQL Server for
i5/OS, the flagship operating system for System i, and plan to deliver
DB2 for i5/OS as a certified MySQL storage engine on the System i
platform. This will allow System i customers to implement online and
transactional MySQL applications while storing all data in a single,
easy-to-manage DB2 database."

"System i customers will be able to run MySQL applications while
continuing to manage their DB2 for i5/OS databases. It will plug into
the MySQL Server and be managed as any other storage engine within the
database server. The DB2 storage engine will provide superior storage
management, transaction support, and database management for MySQL
developers and DBAs -- and enable sharing of data between MySQL and DB2
applications."

See also

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0602tham2/
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0606khatri/