[News] IBM Celebrates GNU/Linux in the Server Room; Pogson Exposes/Explains Preston Gralla/IDC's Lies

A Decade of Linux on the IBM Mainframe, Now Show Me The Money

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite struggling through Q2 of 2010 with a
| US$12m drop in net income on the same period
| last year, Novell continues to plough
| optimistically forward into the mainframe
| market with its support for the IBM System z
| Series.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/open-source-insider/2010/06/a-decade-of-linux-on-the-ibm-mainframe-now-show-me-the-money.html

Public Flogging of Preston Gralla

,----[ Quote ]
| He made the mistake of echoing IDCs market-
| share factoids for operating systems on
| servers. Unfortunately for him readers were
| aware that many servers are obtained without
| an OS and cloned by the thousands with
| GNU/Linux. Read the comments. It goes on for
| pages.
|
| IDC does mention units with each OS but
| conveniently neglects re-purposing or naked
| servers… Oops. 91% of the Top500 HPC systems
| and Google come to mind. That other OS may be
| useful on a server for running the difficult-
| to-manage OS on clients but compensating for
| inadequacy by adding more inadequacy is not
| merit.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/06/06/public-flogging-of-preston-gralla/

Recent:

Preston Gralla: Why you Shouldn’t Care

,----[ Quote ]
| In this weeks (May 18th, 2009) Computerworld print edition’s opinion
| column “Desktop Linux: Why you Shouln’t Care” Preston Gralla (who?) bashes
| Linux for no apparent reason other than to bash something he obviously knows
| nothing about. I’ve never heard of this guy before so I checked out the rest
| of his blog post, and to my surprise (note the sarcasm) yep he loves his
| Microsoft. It’s fine to love your operating system of choice but it’s another
| thing to spread out right lies about the operating system you choose not to
| use.
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/preston-gralla-why-you-shouldnt-care/

Careers In Linux Journalism-- No Knowledge Required!

,----[ Quote ]
| My current favorite horrid example is Dana Blankenhorn's famous "someone
| please send a Linux laptop" column, written in July 2008:
|
|     "I have written about, and been written to about, Linux laptops for some
|     time. Now is a good time to take the plunge. So I am asking for a review
|     unit. "
|
| How can one craft any sort of response other than WTF??! But let us not be
| hasty. The Internet is already full of hasty, kneejerk flamers and uninformed
| pontificators, and we do not want to be like them. Perhaps there is more to
| this story, so let us make use of the very secret weapon that nobody in tech
| journalism knows about: Google. I've been reading Mr. Blankenhorn's column
| for some years, and between my cluttered old memory and Google I do not find
| any indication that he had ever actually touched a Linux PC until September
| 2008:
|
|     "My first Linux laptop is the ASUS EeePC."
|
| Be still my heart.
|
| Preston Gralla, famous Windows author, wrote a good article about his first
| serious Linux experience Living free with Linux: 2 weeks without Windows. But
| again, WTF??! Another technology writer who has been writing about Linux for
| years without knowing anything about it:
|
|     "Now, I recognize that a few hours of using desktop Linux isn’t a true
|     test drive. But if you want someone to throw over their habits of a more
|     than a dozen years, you’ve got to wow them right away. And Linux didn’t
|     do that for me."
|
| Like, heavy, man. This doesn't even rise to piffle-- it's piffle lite.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/01/careers-in-pund.html

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] IBM's Server Initiative (GNU/Linux) Far Ahead of Microsoft's

[News] World's Most Critical Servers Run GNU/Linux, Centrify Backs Linux

[News] IBM Strives to Turn Sun's/Oracle's UNIX to GNU/Linux

[News] Microsoft's Linux 'Sellouts' Lose to Truly Free GNU/Linux
The World Series of Linux: Round 1 ,----[ Quote ] | But, clearly, Ubuntu shined. It has earned the right to play in the | championship round of The World Series of Linux. The next round will | determine its opponent, as the RPM Round pits SLED 10, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS | to compete to pick the best out of those distributions. `---- http://www.crn.com/software/204802194 Guess who lost here? Xandros and Linspire. Here is OpenSUSE losing: First Kubuntu Impressions ,----[ Quote ] | Well, seems like Kubuntu is the clear winner for professional users and also | for enthusiasts. For begi...

[News] Server's Future is GNU/Linux Based, According to IBM

[News] Person Explains Why GNU/Linux is Better and Another Explains How It's Different

[News] Review of Miniature GNU/Linux Server (OpenBlock), More GNU/Linux Servers

[News] Linux Server Growth According to IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Server Tracker
Demand for Blades and High-End Systems Drives Server Market Growth ,----[ Quote ] | Linux server revenue was $1.5 billion for the quarter `---- http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/Hardware/Demand_for_Blades_and_HighEnd_Systems_Drives_Server_Market_Growth That's a considerable sum, considering the fact that Linux is free. It's not a truly commoditised market. begin oe_protect.scr Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Demand for Blades and High-End Systems Drives Server Market Growth > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Linux server revenue was $1.5 billion fo...

[News] Reasons to Embrace GNU/Linux at OS X's and Windows' Expense

[News] Large Server Farms Run GNU/Linux, Zarafa Targets More GNU/Linux Servers

[News] [Linux] Has Novell's Lost IBM's Backing?
Virtualization: IBM Sticks Novell in the Corner ,----[ Quote ] | So Novell - which got into Linux on IBM's nickel - has wandered off the | reservation and is now hugging Microsoft, IBM's heredity enemy, around the | knees seeking market redemption. | | [...] | | So now IBM, which brought Novell into the mix so Red Hat wouldn't | turn into another Microsoft, has cut a deal with Red Hat "to | encourage the dramatic growth of Red Hat Enterprise Linux on IBM | System z mainframes" - according to the lead sentence in the | Wednesday press release. | | Makes one think the Armonk carrier pigeon just pooped on Novell's new hat. `---- http://virtualization.sys-con.com/read/374798_p.htm Also new: Questions on IBM's Business Model ,----[ Quote ] | My question does not appear to have been raised (caveat: I have not | read all 1039). What is the connection between IBM's FOSS-oriented | business strategy and its current concern over its competitive postion? | IBM's strategy has been to promote FOSS, especially Apache and Linux, | and then make money from selling (1) proprietary applications to | connect to them; (2) hardware on which both the operating system | and aps run; (3) integration services, using a very broad-based | concept that equates IT processes with overall business processes. `---- http://weblog.ipcentral.info/archives/2007/05/questions_on_ib.html Roy Schestowitz wrote: > | So now IBM, which brought Novell into the mix s...

[News] Linux's Increasing Domination in Devices and the Year of GNU/Linux
The Year of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Linux absolutely is doing well in embedded devices, and I'm sure that trend | is going to continue. But Linux has not yet regained the ground that Unix | lost in the SMB application market. Back in the 80's and even into the 90's, | that market was strongly pro-Unix. A lot of it was SCO, of course, because | this was all before Linux existed. Microsoft took that market away, but I see | no reason that Linux couldn't take it back - Linux SHOULD take it back | because Linux servers make much more sense than Microsoft and of course cost |...

[News] Linux Foundation Published Interview with IBM's Linux VP

Web resources about - [News] IBM Celebrates GNU/Linux in the Server Room; Pogson Exposes/Explains Preston Gralla/IDC's Lies - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Celebrate the Mac
Great site put together by Jonathan Zufi, the man behind the Iconic book.

Celebrate the Season Parade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Celebrate the Season Parade is one of the traditional parades held each year in Downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania . It is held on the Saturday ...

Mark Zuckerberg Celebrates 29th Birthday
The youngest CEO on the Fortune 500 list can celebrate, as Facebook Co-Founder Mark Zuckerberg turns 29 Tuesday. It has been quite a year for ...

Today Show - Celebrate #100HappyDays with TODAY - Facebook
Today’s #100happydays moment comes from TODAY viewer Ariane Grabill, who shared this beautiful photo on our Facebook page. It was taken during ...

Facebook celebrates 10th birthday
On Feb. 4, 2004, TheFacebook went live inside Mark Zuckerberg’s Harvard University dorm room with an interface like the one pictured above. What ...

Celebrate Quotes (@celebratequotes) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here Celebrate Quotes @ celebratequotes ...

Celebrate the 2015 #GRAMMYs on Twitter
... with over a dozen music influencers to Tweet out personal videos to officially announce nominees for the 2015 GRAMMY Awards. Music fans celebrated ...

Dodge Celebrates 100 Years With Great New Ad Starring Centenarians
Discover what the world's professionals are saying about 'Dodge Celebrates 100 Years With Great New Ad Starring Centenarians' right now.

Celebrate 4th of July, Independence Day of United States, with sparkling fireworks (by Auryn Apps) on ...
Get Celebrate 4th of July, Independence Day of United States, with sparkling fireworks (by Auryn Apps) on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

Long Live Play: Celebrates You! - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Long Live Play honors gamers from all walks of life and recognizes you for making PlayStation who we are today.