[News] IBM Promotes Ubuntu GNU/Linux, Linux Mint 8 Reviewed

Why is IBM Promoting Ubuntu at the Young Scientist Exhibition

,----[ Quote ]
| A few people have been asking why IBM is
| promoting Ubuntu at the Young Scientist
| Exhibition when it is not an IBM product.
| In fact there are a number of good reasons:
|
|    1. IBM supports the concept of freedom
|    and we would hate to think that students
|    (or anyone) would feel locked in to
|    using a particular brand of proprietary
|    software just because it came with the
|    PC when they bought it. Click here to
|    view Bob Stutor explain in detail why
|    IBM cares about software freedom.
|
|    2. Ubuntu provides an excellent quality
|    stable desktop operating system for
|    free, so we don’t want to see people
|    wasting valuable money on purchasing
|    licenses for software when they don’t
|    have to
|
|    3. We think that Ubuntu is cool and we
|    think that the students attending the
|    exhibition will agree when they see for
|    themselves.
|
|    4. IBM employees use Ubuntu internally
|    for their work and IBM also partners
|    with a Canonical and Verde to provide
|    the Ubuntu based IBM Client for Smart
|    Work.
`----

http://ibm4btyse.wordpress.com/2009/12/26/why-is-ibm-promoting-ubuntu-at-the-young-scientist-exhibition-4/

Simplified Main Inclusion Request process

,----[ Quote ]
| after some discussion in the MIR team and on ubuntu-devel@ [1], we
| simplified the Main Inclusion Request process to require much
| less bureaucracy.
|
| What we really want is reporters to go
| through the checklist and discuss the
| violations of the MIR requirement standards
| in the bug report with the MIR team, not
| write lengthy wiki pages with boilerplate
| text (especially not for trivial packages
| like perl bindings).
`----

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-January/000662.html

Linux Mint 8 review

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the nicest features of Pardus is the
| Kaptan application. What Kaptan is is a
| first-time, welcome application that gives
| a user the opportunity to customize a fresh
| installation of the distro. It can also be
| called up at any time after installation.
| mintWelcome, Linux Mint’s welcome
| application, is an attempt at that, but it
| does not offer the same features that
| you’ll find on Kaptan. In addition to the
| list of items on mintWelcome, here are
| three that I’ll love to see added:
|
|     * Customize your desktop
|     * Enable Network Time Protocol
|     * Enable Gufw, the graphical firewall
|     manager
`----

http://linuxbsdos.com/2010/01/06/linux-mint-8-review/

Recent:

Distro Review: Linux Mint 8

,----[ Quote ]
| Ease Of Installation & Use: 5/5
| Stability: 5/5
| Speed: 4/5
| Community & Documentation: 4/5
| Features: 4/5
| Overall: 5/5
`----

http://danlynch.org/blog/2009/12/mint8/

Hands On with Linux Mint 8 (Helena)

,----[ Quote ]
| The recent release of a major new version of
| Ubuntu means it's time for new versions of
| various remastered distros. This time around
| it's Linux Mint 8. Linux Mint, as you may
| already know from previous releases, takes
| Ubuntu to another level by slicking it up with
| tools, multimedia codecs and more. Linux Mint 8
| makes it easy to get started with Linux even if
| you haven't run it before. Pretty much
| everything you need for your daily computing
| tasks is included in Linux Mint 8 or available
| in the Linux Mint software repository.
`----

Linux Mint 8 Installation Visual Walk Through – VirtualBox

,----[ Quote ]
| Here’s a walk through of the Linux Mint 8
| Helena. You’ll notice a ton of
| similarities between the installation
| process of Linux Mint 8 and the base it’s
| built from Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.benkevan.com/blog/linux-mint-8-installation-visual-walk-through-virtualbox/

Linux Mint 8

,----[ Quote ]
| Product:      Linux Mint 8
| Web Site:     http://www.linuxmint.com/
| Price:        Free
| Pros:         Software Manager & Update Manager upgrades,
| configurable places, Upload Manager & File Uploader
| added.
| Cons:         Slightly less attractive default wallpaper, no bundled
| games, Chrome browser not available in software repositories.
| Suitable For:         Beginner, intermediate or advanced desktop
| Linux users.
| 9.10 and adds some custom upgrades of its own. An excellent desktop
| distribution that any Linux user should consider using.
| Rating:       4/5
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/12/16/linux-mint-8/

Linux Mint Helena: C’est fantastique!

,----[ Quote ]
| Having seen what the open source community
| can do to improve and support a product, I
| have to say I’m extremely impressed with
| the work they’ve done. Just last week I
| stated that I would probably run a dual
| boot with Windows 7 as my primary system
| and Mint or Ubuntu as my secondary system.
| Well, after installing and using Helena, I
| have to say I’m strongly considering
| sticking with Mint and possibly having
| Windows 7 as a secondary OS for
| compatibility issues. I can definitely say
| that I wasn’t expecting a free operating
| system to work as well as this one does.
| Bravo.
`----

http://thelinuxexperiment.com/guinea-pigs/sasha-d/linux-mint-helena-cest-fantastique/

Two other great Linux distributions: MEPIS & Mint

,----[ Quote ]
| I also like the additional utilities, the
| so-called MEPIS Assistant programs. These
| take what can sometimes be complicated
| tasks on other Linux distributions, such
| as networking and X-Windows set-up, and
| make them simple. Last, but not least,
| MEPIS has always done an outstanding job
| of using the KDE 3.5x to good effect. In
| the upcoming MEPIS 8.5, he's using the
| brand-new KDE 4.3.4 for those who like the
| KDE 4.x series. But, for those who are
| still fond of KDE 3.5, and while I finally
| warmed up to KDE 4.x I also continue to
| like KDE 3.5x, he'll continue to support
| it in the MEPIS 8.x line.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15269/two_other_great_linux_distributions_mepis_mint

Download Linux Mint 8 for 64-Bit Platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| After the release of Linux Mint 8 back in
| November, Clement Lefebvre and the
| developers behind the Linux Mint community
| announced last evening (December 14th) the
| immediate availability for download of the
| 64-bit edition of Linux Mint 8. This version
| is exactly like the main edition of Linux
| Mint 8 but compiled for 64-bit processors,
| such as Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Quad
| or Athlon X2 64. Dubbed Helena, the new
| Linux Mint 8 operating system is based on
| the Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) operating
| system and it is powered by Linux kernel
| 2.6.31, X.Org 7.4 and the GNOME 2.28.1
| desktop environment.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Download-Linux-Mint-8-for-64-bit-Platforms-129773.shtml

Fluxbox CE, resurrected

,----[ Quote ]
| The Fluxbox Community Edition produced
| releases for Linux Mint 5 “Elyssa” and Linux
| Mint 6 “Felicia” and it became quite popular
| among Linux Mint users. But in 2009, due to
| personal circumstances Shane Joe Lazar, the
| maintainer of this edition, had to focus his
| attention elsewhere and so the Fluxbox CE
| was discontinued. During the release cycle
| for Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”, no Fluxbox
| edition was released.
|
| Kendall Weaver recently stepped up from the
| community and worked on a new Fluxbox
| edition of Linux Mint. We had a conversation
| and I got the opportunity to test his
| preliminary ISOs. Today, I’m happy to
| welcome him within the development team as
| the new maintainer of the Fluxbox Community
| Edition.
`----

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1189

Linux Mint 8-Helena

,----[ Quote ]
| Running a Linux Mint 8 Live CD, I boot into
| an adorable Linux Mint logo that’s animated!
| Then the splash screen really grabs my
| attention. I understand Zwopper of the Mint
| community is to “blame” for this beautiful
| background. Nice Job!
`----

http://gnulinuxuser.wordpress.com/2009/12/06/linux-mint-8-helena/

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Linux Mint 7 (Ubuntu GNU/Linux Derivative) Reviewed

[News] Ubuntu Linux 8.04 Earns Good Reviews, Gives Credit to Debian GNU/Linux
Ubuntu Hardy Heron: A First Look ,----[ Quote ] | The long awaited release of Ubuntu 8.04 from Canonical has finally arrived, | and it’s looking great! This version, codenamed Hardy Heron, is only the | second LTS (Long Term Support) release, which makes it even more special. The | first LTS release from Canonical (Dapper) was when the company was relatively | new and unknown. However through the past 2 years, Ubuntu has established | itself as one of the most user friendly and easy Linux distro out there. So | much expectation revolves around this release, and finally the wait is over!...

[News] Linux Mint GNU/Linux 9 Review

[News] Short Reviews of Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 10.10 Mockups, Benchmarks of Ubuntu GNU/Linux Versus Arch Linux

[News] Kubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10 and Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10 Reviews

[News] A Look at New GNU/Linux Distro (Qubes) and Review of YlmF GNU/Linux OS

[News] NASA Uses Ubuntu GNU/Linux, IBM Runs GNU/Linux Guests on Big Irons

[News] Linux Mint Beats Parent, Ubuntu GNU/Linux

[News] Review of Linux Mint 8 (Helena) at Linux Planet

[News] Laptop Magazine Review of Ubuntu Linux, Linux.com Review of Ubuntu Studio
Ubuntu 7.04 on Laptop Magazine ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft hasn't gotten off to the best start with Vista. It's slow, it's | annoying, and sometimes, it's downright confusing. Linux has been around for | ages but has played David to Bill Gates' Goliath for longer than we can | remember. We're not predicting that Ubuntu will change that relationship, but | it may be the alternative you've been looking for. Because Linux has always | been a bit of a mystery to most people, we want to take this opportunity to | answer the myriad questions you might have about th...

[News] Nero Linux 4 for GNU/Linux Reviewed, Warzone 2100, and Other Linux Software

[News] Linux Critic Reviews Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10

[News] Review of CrossOver Linux 8.0.0 and Boxee on GNU/Linux

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] Latest Linux Mint Reviewed, Ubuntu Linux Passes the 'Wife Test'
Linux Mint 4.0 "Daryna" - English ,----[ Quote ] | Clement Lefebvre is a very important Linux distribution developer and his | enthusiasm showed in his job, resulting in the wonderful Linux distro called | Linux Mint that been rised to 4.0 version in last week. | I have been download that distro version and i'm going to write a short | review on them. `---- http://it.linux.wikia.com/wiki/En-daryna Ubuntu derivative. Me and My Wife’s View on Ubuntu 7.10 ,----[ Quote ] | Ubuntu is highly regarded as the most human-friendly, idiot-proof, and | easy-to-use Linux desktop o...

[News] IBM Could Replace Solaris with GNU/Linux, Advertise GNU/Linux

[News] Linux.com Ubuntu Linux Review; Dell with Ubuntu Preinsalled?
Review: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn ,----[ Quote ] | Ubuntu and Kubuntu Feisty are moderate improvements over the Edgy | release, and include enough new software and features to justify | upgrading to Feisty or trying it out for the first time if you've | been waiting to take the Ubuntu plunge. | | Feisty delivers most of the features that users were hoping for | in Edgy. Ubuntu is getting to the point where it can face | mainstream desktops. If that weren't the case, would Michael | Dell be running the OS on his laptop? `---- http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/27/1311222&...

[News] Review of Linux Mint; Pardus Linux
Linux Mint: Taking Ubuntu to the Next Level ,----[ Quote ] | Overall Linux Mint is a fine distribution and I can proudly say | I will be using it as my desktop OS. It is good to see that the | team has different goals than Ubuntu and I forsee a greater amount | of unique additions to Linux Mint in the future. `---- http://techbycolin.com/?p=139 A Second Look At Pardus 2007.1 RC: Surprises, Surprises ,----[ Quote ] | My first look at Pardus 2007.1 Release Candidate was somehow | pessimistic, however I was confident in the future. `---- http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2575 ...

[News] GNU/Linux Newbie Discovers Freedom, Lovew Ubuntu GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux-only Applications in Review, NCP Brings Gateway to GNU/Linux

[News] Review of Miniature GNU/Linux Server (OpenBlock), More GNU/Linux Servers

[News] Review of Windows Applications on GNU/Linux, Other Killer Applications for GNU/Linux

[News] IBM's GNU/Linux and Standards Chief on a Future with GNU/Linux

[News] Skype for GNU/Linux 2.1 is Near, More Applications for GNU/Linux Reviewed

Web resources about - [News] IBM Promotes Ubuntu GNU/Linux, Linux Mint 8 Reviewed - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Beyond The Great Wall: Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg Promotes ‘Lean In’ In China
... is not banned in China , as she spoke in front of more than 800 people at the Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business in Beijing to promote ...

Promote Your App - Facebook for Business
The app world is highly competitive, with thousands of new apps available each day. Make sure the right people discover yours and stay engaged. ...

Promote Your App - Facebook-Entwickler
Promote Your AppLearn how to promote your app to reach a larger audience.Get installs for your appFo...

Facebook Making Changes to News Feed, Requests, Bookmarks to Promote Social Games — or Hide Them
In the latest of Facebook’s ongoing efforts to reshape its developer platform, it is introducing big changes aimed at the most successful category ...

Kraft to Promote Macaroni and Cheese Change Made Months Ago
... Marketing Fact Pack, an annual guide to marketers, media and agencies. Brought to you by Neustar. Learn more Kraft Heinz is ready to promote ...

Time Promotes 9, Hires 5
Time has made several changes to its editorial team. Details are below. Kelly Conniff has been promoted to director of features. She has been ...

Cultural cafe promotes unity in Lebanon's Tripoli
New cafe aims to create common ground for warring neighbourhoods of Jabal Mohsen and Bab al-Tabbaneh.

World Drone Prix promotes Dubai event by racing a McLaren
Filed under: Videos , McLaren , Middle East , Gadgets , Technology , Performance , Racing A Dubai Police McLaren 650S faces off against a racing ...

DOJ Announces New Effort to 'Promote Religious Freedom' in the Nation's Schools
Under the banner of civil rights enforcement, the U.S. Justice Department plans to "promote religious freedom" in the nation's public schools ...

WATCH: Taiwan McDonald's Ad Promotes Gay Acceptance
Nothing at Crooks and Liars should be interpreted to promote a McDonald's diet or 'lifestyle.' That said, it's heartening to see the mega-fast ...