[News] In E-Reader Arena, It's Just Linux vs Linux vs Linux

Lessons for Nook from Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. The Kindle isn't a monopoly
| The Kindle, on which I was unduly harsh when
| it first appeared, has been the most popular
| e-reader. But it does not yet have the
| massive market presence that the iPod did by
| the time the first Zunes came out. (Amazon
| has not released sales numbers, but
| TechCrunch estimates it somewhere north of a
| million.) This matters because lending and
| borrowing are only attractive if you believe
| there will be other people near by you whose
| taste you trust to borrow from.
|
| The tide was clearly against the Zune by the
| time it came out, which did not give
| consumers confidence that there would be
| other Zune users to get music from. In that
| case, it was just safer to stick with the
| leader, the iPod.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13641_3-10384838-44.html

Recent:

OpenInkpot: free software for e-book readers

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenInkpot (or OI) intends to be a full alternative,
| free software stack for e-ink based readers. It comes
| with a "bookshelf" menu to handle your collection of
| e-books and brings the popular FBReader and Cool
| Reader to display most e-book formats, among them
| epub, fb2, txt, html, rtf, pdb, plucker and
| mobipocket. PDF files are handled by OI's own locoPDF
| and madeye is a simple viewer for images. A sound
| player application for audio books will join the OI
| software collection soon.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/354714/

Libraries and Readers Wade Into Digital Lending

,----[ Quote ]
| Eager to attract digitally savvy patrons and
| capitalize on the growing popularity of electronic
| readers, public libraries across the country are
| expanding collections of books that reside on servers
| rather than shelves.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/15/books/15libraries.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

Android May Power New Barnes & Noble E-Reader

,----[ Quote ]
| Reports indicate that another new e-
| reader is on the way, this time from
| Barnes & Noble.  The interesting thing -
| or at least the interesting thing that
| makes this development connect to the
| search industry - is that Barnes &
| Noble's e-reader will supposedly use
| Android as its operating system.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/10/09/android-may-power-new-barnes-noble-e-reader

3G wireless eReader from Irex aims to tackle Amazon's Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the handheld reader will connect to Windows
| PCs through the USB port, its underlying platform will
| be built on Linux for "open development," he said.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/3G-wireless-eReader-from-Irex-aims-to-tackle-Amazons-Kindle/1253737925

eReader on Android Soon, Planned for Palm Pre Later

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Android handset owners can expect eReader availability in “mid- to
| late summer,” according to TeleRead. They spoke to Scott Pendergrast of
| Fictionwise, which is owned by Barnes & Noble.
`----

http://jkontherun.com/2009/06/10/ereader-on-android-soon-planned-for-palm-pre-later/

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

[News] [Linux] Linux for China's Video On-Demand
Huawei Names Kasenna as Partner in Bringing Video On-Demand to China ,----[ Quote ] | MediaBase XMP(TM) is Kasenna's flagship video delivery software | that manages the video content for delivery, turning affordable | off-the-shelf Linux/Intel servers from leading server vendors into | scalable high-performance video-delivery platforms. `---- http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,123569.shtml Microsoft's new investment in a Chinese TV company is beginning to make sense now. They want to move to the television business, among other areas that will replace its d...

[News] [Linux] Linux is Taking Over India's Finance
Driven by IT ,----[ Quote ] | According to the survey, Linux will continue to lead the market for | quite some time. For example UTI Bank's entire call centre runs on | Linux servers that handle over 7,000 calls per day. Canara Bank and | Central Bank deployed Linux in over 2,000 branches while Allahabad | Bank did so in 800 branches. On the insurance side, Life Insurance | of India (LIC) planned a Linux deployment across 30,000 desktops, | New India Assurance scaled up to 23,000 and so did Bajaj Allianz. | Indiabulls too was running its Internet trading platform on Oracle | 9i on Linux....

Locking down Linux vs Switching to Linux
Here's a great article talking about what it takes to make e-mail "safe" for Linux to read. Sounds like something I said just a few days ago. A good read though. http://www.byte.com/documents/s=9988/byt1155519035153/ __/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Friday 18 August 2006 04:30 \__ > Here's a great article talking about what it takes to make e-mail > "safe" for Linux to read. > Sounds like something I said just a few days ago. A good read though. > > http://www.byte.com/documents/s=9988/byt1155519035153/ the newsreader-impaired (me included) might get a ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Foundation and MontaVista Organise Linux Conferences
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit ,----[ Quote ] | The first Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit takes place mid | June, featuring the fourth Desktop Architects Meeting, an LSB | face to face meeting and various council meetings. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/linux-foundation-collaboration-summit/ MontaVista Vision 2007 Embedded Linux Developers Conference... ,----[ Quote ] | Hosted by MontaVista, and including platinum sponsors | Freescale Semiconductor, IBM, Intel, and Texas Instruments, | the Vision 2007 event is expected to bring the latest tips, | technique...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

Really 'dumb' question: why does Linux have viruses? linux virus, linux malware
Linux has viruses and malware. See below. Now please spin the facts and tell me why this is not so, Linux cultists. RL http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/single-product-reviews ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition for Linux Desktop May 2011 Review (english) The growing availability of user-friendly Linux operating systems for desktop and laptop PCs, with business support packages available, means that anti-malware solutions for Linux are becoming more important. Security software for Linux is needed not only to protect the computer itself, but also to prevent malicious code aimed at other systems, such as Windows, being passed through the system. To counter such threats, ESET have released ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition for Linux Desktop. For our review, we installed the 32-bit Business Edition, version 4.0.66.0, on 32-bit Ubuntu Desktop Edition version 10.04. ESET also make a Home Edition of the program, and both Home and Business versions come in 32 and 64-bit versions. RayLopez99 <raylopez88@gmail.com> writes: > Linux has viruses and malware. See below. > > Now please spin the facts and tell me why this is not so, Linux > cultists. > > RL > > http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/single-product-reviews > > ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Business Edition for Linux Desktop May 2011 > Review (english) > > The growing availability of user-friendly Linux > operating systems for deskto...

[News] Another E-Reader Runs Linux, Other Wins for Linux in Devices

[News] Google's Linux Challenged by More Open Mobile Linux
Linux phone to Debut upgrade at CES, Google Android looking stupid ,----[ Quote ] | OpenMoko has announced an upgrade to its Linux-powered mobile phone and plans | to present the device at CES. That’s a slap in the face for open source | competitor Google Android, which is still in development.In its announcement, | OpenMoko writes “. . . at CES we will formally preview GTA02 to the public. | We are doing this at an invitation-only media event, and not the general show | floor.” `---- http://voipstash.com/blog/2008/01/05/linux-phone-to-debut-upgrade-at-ces-google-android-looking-st...

[News] Acer's Bet on Linux and the Future of Linux in Devices

[News] [Linux] Everyone is Using Linux Already. It's Everywhere.
We're all Linux users ,----[ Quote ] | You see, you may think of yourself as someone who would never use | Linux on a day-in, day-out basis, but you already are. Linux is | everywhere. Now, thanks to efforts from groups and companies such | as Ubuntu, Dell, and Novell, Linux is coming to the personal desktop. `---- http://desktoplinux.com/news/NS6083062770.html Dell Linux is supposed to go live today. Here's the jealous guy (Debian): Dell and Ubuntu: why bother? ,----[ Quote ] | I have a question for Michael Dell - why is he trying to be cute about | the company's foray into ...

Web resources about - [News] In E-Reader Arena, It's Just Linux vs Linux vs Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

E-reader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An e-reader , also called an e-book reader or e-book device , is a mobile electronic device that is designed primarily for the purpose of reading ...

e-book - e-reader - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Fotos de e-reader: Cool-er y Energy Book 1060

iPhone, iPad, smartwatch, e-reader, laptop: how many devices do you really want to carry?
Having embraced the digital revolution enthusiastically, some people are looking to rationalise their tools.

Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablet v Kindle Paperwhite e-reader
Tablets and e-readers are very different beasts, and deciding which to get depends entirely on your needs.

Hard-copy books back on the rise as e-book and e-reader sales stagnate
For years the story went that the e-book revolution would kill off paperbacks and the bricks-and-mortars that sold them &#8211; but the plot ...

Hard-copy books back on the rise as e-book and e-reader sales stagnate
For years the story went that the e-book revolution would kill off paperbacks and the bricks-and-mortars that sold them – but the plot has twisted ...

E-readers kindle desire to learn
A PROGRAM that sends e-readers to Aboriginal children across the country to improve their literacy is revolutionising the reading habits of some ...

Kindle - E-Readers - Tablets
The elderly might prefer real books, but digital devices can be good for you.

The battle of the e-readers
... for market share, with each offering different e-ink devices. Online bookseller Amazon kicked off the war for e-books with its Kindle e-reader, ...

'iPad Mini' To Be Revealed October 23 As Apple Takes On E-Readers: Reports
Several reports say Apple is set to reveal a smaller, cheaper version of the iPad at an event next Tuesday.The reports from Bloomberg News, Reuters ...