[News] India Express Publishes Informecial for Gates and Monsanto, Readers Respond

Gates backs GM crops: tech must help farmers, feed rising population

,----[ Quote ]
| Giving his full support to the use of
| genetic engineering in agriculture,
| Microsoft founder and philanthropist Bill
| Gates today said if the world continued to
| produce food with existing technologies it
| would not be able to feed its increasing
| population.
| In an interview with Shekhar Gupta,
| Editor-in-Chief of The Indian Express, for
| NDTV’s Walk The Talk programme, Gates, who
| is on a visit to India for work related to
| his charitable foundation, said the world
| needed newer crops with increased
| productivity, better adaptability to
| changing climatic conditions and the ones
| that use less of insecticides. And these,
| he said, could only be made through
| innovations in agricultural biotechnology
| sector.
| “Technology, properly applied, is the
| reason, if you like, why nine billion
| people can live on this planet without
| destroying it,” said Gates who toured
| remote villages in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar
| during his visit.

GM and Gates

from the comments:

"If memory serves me right this author tried the same GM push earlier without any
foresight or vision(As expected :)). Now wait..suddenly by adding Bill Gates into
this mix the author is trying to "cook-up" some credibility around GM food. The idea
 behind organic/sustainable agriculture is for more farmers to embrace it thereby
making it affordable to everyone. Just by mischaracterizing "organic" food as neo
rich is not a solution but pure %u201Cpropaganda%u201D. It%u2019s the same lies
churned out in a new flavor (vanilla with caramel anyone?:)). Again the Gates
foundation which our author harps about...who are they? who funds them? what is
BIG GM companies like Monsanto. Cargill%u2019s role in these orgs?"

"Do people like to eat genetically modified chicken and meat? Do Indian farmers
want to grow genetically modified seeds? Why are the opinion of the Indian farmers missing in this debate?"

They then commit suicide with Monsanto products to protest...

"I concur with Mr Y Srinivas' arguments. Unfortunately our GM science is so poor,
 we have to follow the West to seek innovations and technology. Hope people are
hearing the aftermath of growing Roundup Ready (RR) crops - RR resistant weeds are
emerging fast in the USA. If we depend on foreign technology be rest assured that we
will blackmailed.The editorial here has been influenced by lobbyists."

Monsanto targets public radio to spread false biotech messages

,----[ Quote ]
| For years my alarm has been set to pubic
| radio so I can lie in bed for five minutes
| and have a grasp on the day's news before I
| even get up. I, like many other Americans,
| rely on NPR and other public-radio shows for
| news that is what I deem to be as unbiased
| and fair as possible. But this morning my
| ears burned as I listened to an on the
| American Public Media show Marketplace
| sponsored by Monsanto, the world's largest
| corporate agribusiness chemical firm, touting
| how its genetically modified (GM) seeds are
| going to save the world from environmental
| catastrophe and human hunger. It left me
| wondering, particularly in tough economic
| times, how do media ethics hold up? (The GMO
| seed giant has been bombarding liberal-minded
| publications with similar propaganda, see
| image to the right, for months.)

Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

5/24/2010 6:20:24 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 121016 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

[News] More Good News for Linux-based Handset Devices
Esmertec And Yuhua TelTech Set New Benchmark With 1-stop Solution For Linux-Based Mobile Devices ,----[ Quote ] | Esmertec announced that Yuhua TelTech, a Chinese Independent Design | House (IDH) for mobile devices, has chosen Esmertec's 1-stop solution | for its Linux-based platform for mobile devices and smart phones. The | platform will be shipped on Linux-based handset devices for the | European and Chinese market at the end of December 2006. `---- http://linux.sys-con.com/read/310276_p.htm Linux is becoming big in China's mobile industry. It is disruptive enough to have had Bal...

Quantified expressions: no support for restriction predicates
I read the discussion in AI-0176 a while ago and could not see any consider= ation given to supporting 'restriction predicates' in quantified expression= s. It is not uncommon for logic notations used in computer science/formal = methods to allow a predicate following a vertical bar to restrict the value= s over which the bound variable is quantified, e.g. =E2=88=80 X : T | Even(X) =E2=88=99 P(X) -- P(X) is true for all even X = in T =E2=88=83 X : T | Odd(X) =E2=88=99 Q(X) -- Q(X) is true for any odd X i= n T For example, see [1, 2, 3] (references at the bottom). (Note that...

[News] [Rival] More Microsoft Lawsuits, Antitrust

[News] Zenwalk Linux Pleases Reviewer
Zenwalk 4.8 Review ,----[ Quote ] | I am just in love with xfce based distributions; they are fast, simple and | elegant and Zenwalk is no exception. It has a really good control center and | out-of-box multimedia support. `---- http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/zenwalk-48-review.html Related: Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready ,----[ Quote ] | The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release. | | After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very | stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version | ever.   `---- ...

[News] Macs are Great... Linux Boxes
Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX ,----[ Quote ] | An East German company will soon begin selling an IP-PBX setup based | on a Mac Mini running Linux. 4S Newcom's iBlue package comes with an | iPod Shuffle that acts as a boot device for the Mac Mini, plus five | Linux-based VoIP phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8680369796.html Linus argues that while the hardware/box looks attractive, it is actually a PITA to work with (its firmware). On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:55:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX > > ,----[ Quote ] >| An...

Best SAP ABAP Online Training in USA | UK | INDIA | AUSTRALIA
Sun IT Labs Provides the Best SAP ABAP Online Training across the world wit= h Real Time scenarios and Methodologies by Experienced Professionals. So, L= earners can grasp the technology-subject from our highly experienced traine= rs. Our aim is to provide skilled manpower in the areas of SAP ABAP and SAP= modules, along with introducing students and professionals with the latest= technology in IT industry. Thus our edification and training on SAP ABAP p= rograms spotlight on providing high-end software education and training in = SAP ABAP. Some of the SAP ABAP major topics that co...

News about SAS
Dear SAS Users, The user acceptance testing period has been completed without any problems reported. Please make sure you do not leave any SAS processes running overnight or scheduled to be run overnight as Darin will be switching us to the new machine tonight or early tomorrow morning. This will be transparent, your usual sas8 and sas6 command will now run on the new machine. If you should get a message asking to validate the 'host' abraham .... just say 'yes'! Happy SAS'ing on our smaller, faster machine.... I will be on vacation tomorrow, please let the help desk kno...

[News] IBM Thinkpads Sold with SUSE Linux, Full Support Included
This relates to Lenovo's recent annoncement. ThinkPad--now with Suse Linux ,----[ Quote ] | In addition, Lenovo will provide Linux support for the laptop, | including drivers and its ThinkVantage technologies found on ThinkPad | loaded with Microsoft's Windows operating system, he said. `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1005_3-6105543.html?part=rss&tag=6105543&subj=news ...

[News] AlwaysOn 100 Innovators Choose MySQL
MySQL Used By Majority Of "AlwaysOn 100" Innovators ,----[ Quote ] | It is no coincidence that the majority of these "Hot 100" start-ups are | using the MySQL open source database to power their IT infrastructure, | Web sites and products. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=26506&hilite= ...

Re: DECnet positively in the news #2
Bob Koehler <koehler@EISNER.NOSPAM.ENCOMPASSERVE.ORG> writes ... >[...] > > You may already be aware of this, but DECnet is available on Linux - > > http://linux-decnet.sourceforge.net/index.html > > DECnet is available on just about everything. I can't remember the > last time I had a system that I couldn't get Phase IV for. (Maybe > it was my DECSYSTEM 20's before Phase IV shipped?) I have some consolation for those not as fortunate as Mr. Koehler (e.g. not as well-funded, or simply lacking the time to install DECnet, or even using so...

[News] Nimblex GNU/Linux Customised for Users via the Web

[N2134] Editorial: Missing Cross-Reference in Constant Expressions
�5.19/1 enumerates where C++ requires a constant expression: "In several places, C++ requires expressions that evaluate to an integral or enumeration constant: as array bounds (8.3.4, 5.3.4), as case expressions (6.4.2), as bit-field lengths (9.6), as enumerator initializers (7.2), as static member initializers (9.4.2), and as integral or enumeration non-type template arguments (14.3)." To this list should be added: "as a static_assert (7.0)." Greg --- [ comp.std.c++ is moderated. To submit articles, try just posting with ] [ your news-reader. If that f...

[News] When You Use Microsoft Windows, You Share Your Desktop with Feds
German government sees itself in good company with online searches ,----[ Quote ] | The spyware then sent information on all internet connections and websites | visited to the FBI, who then arrested the pupil. However, in contrast to the | planned procedure in Germany, CIPAV does not transfer the content of | communications or files. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94988/from/rss09 Related: FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware ,----[ Quote ] | There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we | reported earlier this we...

Have you heard the GOOD NEWS?
http://www3.boxke.net << click link for the good news google_groups_usa@yahoo.com wrote: > <snip> << click link for the good news Someone has created a DWIM compiler? [clicks link] Bill, never mind. -- http://billpg.me.uk/ usenet(at)billpg(dot)me(dot)uk ...

[News] [Linux] Novell Answers Tough Questions on Microsoft IP
Novell sheds (a little) more light on its patent access deal ,----[ Quote ] | Q. How does Microsoft promising not sue Novell customers gives | Novell engineers sanctioned access to Microsoft code? | | [...] | | In fact, I would suggest that the answer to the first question makes it | clear that the patent access granted by the technical collaboration | agreement and the patent covenant not to sue customers are completely | unrelated. | | It certainly appears to be at odds with Steinman's earlier statement: "the | intellectual property agreement provided a foundation for the | in...

LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 09-10-07
In today's digest, we have: * Linux Myths Get Broken and Windows Realities Revealed * Novell Gets Greedy (Wants OpenOffice.org for Itself) * [Rival] Resource Hogs and Faulty Computers from Proprietary Vendors * [Rival] Bringing Windows 'Reliability' to People's Health Verdicts * Video: xwinwrap Does Animated Backgrounds in Linux * IBM Chooses Linux in New Google Collaboration * Big New Release for Granular Linux (Granular FunWorks 2007) * Open Source Approach Shows Its Advantage; Radiohead Takes the Open Route * [Rival] The Rob Enderle Bozo Gets ...

QOTW: "I still want to keep compile time type checking to make sure I don't make any mistakes." "Sounds like you want two wives, but I'm pretty sure polygamy gets a checkbox in the naughty category on Santa's list" -- George Jempty (commenting on "Dear Open Source Santa," by Paul Browne) http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/12/dear_open_source_santa.html#comment-384244 "But if you care to give it a closer look, you may understand that Python's main advantage is not seizable by feature and performance charts." -- Soni ...

[News] The MAFIAA and Jammie Thomas Unable to Settle

[News] Open Source Impact in Networking
Getting Over the Love-Hate Dynamic With Open Standards ,----[ Quote ] | While the number of companies installing all-SIP or all-open source | networks continues to grow, it's clear that the overall market | has not gotten over this love-hate relationship with open standards. `---- http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55830.html Still looking for the lockin while peers and customers prefer openness. Open Source Network Configuration Management ,----[ Quote ] | Open source projects have had a significant impact in areas such | as operating systems (Linux), databases (MySQL), web applicat...

[News] Microsoft Munchkinds Are Officially Criminals

Good news and bad news!!
The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding of Agile development or experience in using Ruby. =A335 - =A345k, London Contact me for more information 01189897601 grant@connectionsrecruit.co.uk grant.bodie@gmail.com wrote: > The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have > a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. > > Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding...

[News] Free Software Business Shows Signs of Growth in Bad Economy

[News] GNU/Linux faces challenges as it goes mainstream
Where does Linux go from here? ..---- | Linux is now mainstream -- so mainstream, in fact, that two of | the top three Linux distributions are commercially successful | operations, and the third aims to be. Every day, more and more | old-school IT firms shake off their initial doubts, get in line | behind their customers, and try Linux and other free software | projects. In the face of such success, will Linux remain true to | its free software ideals and to the community which created it? Or | will it morph into a corporate byproduct, driven by the bottom | line, and complacent with all f...

Regular expression engine
Implementation of regular expression engine was added to Matreshka, see version 0.0.2 on http://adaforge.qtada.com/cgi-bin/tracker.fcgi/matreshka/ Comments welcome! ...

[News] [Rival] Red Hat Takes Switzerland to Court Over Microsoft Corruption