[News] Jack Wallen Continues Series on How to Dump Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Applications

Linux equivalents to popular Mac apps

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s not an exhaustive list, but it will help you
| get by with the main applications one would use
| on a modern Mac computer.  If you have a Mac-
| based application you are looking for a Linux
| equivalent, let me know what that is and I will
| attempt to locate an equivalent for you.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/15/linux-equivalents-to-popular-mac-apps/

[Useful] GTK applications

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/469-usefull-gtk-applications

Never heard applications for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The following is the list of open source
| programs. These applications has not been so
| famous maybe you never heard about these
| programs. However, excessively useful for Linux.
| You can get more information about the
| application's by clicking the name of the
| application.
`----

http://softwareroxer.blogspot.com/2009/10/never-heard-applications-for-linux.html

Recent:

Five tips to help ease the migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course you might be thinking “OS X is supposed
| to be the most user-friendly OS available, so
| wouldn’t migrating to Linux be even more
| difficults?” Not exactly. There are certain
| elements of OS X that inherently make the process
| of migrating to Linux easier than when migrating
| from Windows. Take, for instance, the mounting of
| images and drives. This task is completely
| obfuscated from the Windows user, but the OS X user
| actually knows to unmount a drive before removal.
| But what about simple, every day usage? How do you
| make that more understandable for one moving from
| OS X to Linux? Let’s find out.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/14/five-tips-to-help-ease-the-migration-from-mac-to-linux/

Mac computers are restrictive.

,----[ Quote ]
| There are amazing PC laptop computers that you can buy for $600
| comparing to Apple latops that are usually around $1300 and more.
| Apple computers are overpriced, proprietary, restrictive and
| protectionist. This might not be a good direction to be heading
| into. Could Apple prove to be even more restrictive and opressive
| than Microsoft?
`----

http://www.idreamoflinux.com/2009/09/mac-computers-are-restrictive.html

Can Ubuntu 9.10 Outperform Mac OS X 10.6?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of the 26 tests shown in this article, Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" was the
| clear winner in 12 of the 26 tests while Snow Leopard had won a handful and
| the rest of the tests had results that were too close to call or unchanged
| between the Apple and Canonical operating systems. Ubuntu 9.10 can certainly
| compete with Mac OS X 10.6 when it comes to the performance, but of course a
| few of these tests do show performance regressions compared to the earlier
| Ubuntu 9.04 release, an area where Ubuntu developers could improve.
| Additionally, not all areas of the system or hardware combinations were
| tested, such as with the Intel Linux graphics performance struggling compared
| to Mac OS X. On top of that, the Ubuntu Linux installations had NVIDIA's
| proprietary driver manually installed, where as the "out of the box"
| experience on Ubuntu does not provide any 3D acceleration for NVIDIA
| hardware.
|
| Stay tuned for our large Mac OS X, Linux, OpenSolaris, and BSD operating
| system comparison in the next month.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_karmic_leopard&num=1

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] User Dumps Mac OS X for GNU/Linux with KDE4

[News] Users Bamboozled Into Thinking GNU/Linux is Mac OS X (Leopard)

[News] Moving from Mac OS X to Desktop GNU/Linux Working Out Well

[News] Experiment with GNU/Linux Shows Where it Beats Mac OS X and Windows

Web resources about - [News] Jack Wallen Continues Series on How to Dump Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Applications - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Patent application could see the Apple Watch calling 911 when it detects a heart-attack
A patent application describes how the Apple Watch and iPhone could work together to detect medical emergencies like a heart attack, and automatically ...

Donald Trump is causing a spike in naturalization applications among Latino immigrants
... report published today in the New York Times, Donald Trump’s overtly racist rhetoric against Latinos has led to a spike in naturalization applications ...

Western Digital Introduces Its First Helium-Filled HDDs for Consumer Applications
... two models with 10 TB capacity. This week Western Digital unveiled the world’s first family of helium-filled HDDs designed for consumer applications, ...

Google now accepting applications for open source Summer of Code 2016
... of selection. Our Student Manual provides lots of helpful advice to get you started on choosing an organization and crafting a great application". ...

Introducing Analytics for Google Cast Applications
... Engineer on the Google Cast Server Infrastructure Team As a Google Cast developer, you may be wondering how many devices access your application, ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decreased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 27% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 4.8 percent from one week earlier, ...

Review: 5 application security testing tools compared
Users weigh in on favorite features, room for improvement.

Mortgage applications eke out gain
A growing divide in the mortgage market has emerged between refinance applications and those needed to purchase a home.

IDG Contributor Network: GoDaddy goes cloud, and throws in applications for good measure
GoDaddy is a funny beast. On the one hand the hosting business is huge, boasting 14 million customers worldwide and managing over 60 million ...