[News] [Linux] 11 Reasons to Use Linux and Another Linux Success Story

11 reasons to use Linux instead of Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux.
| Just like Windows, Linux has software that doesn't run on Windows.
| Great pieces of software like Amarok, Bluefish, Neverball, Gnumeric,
| K3B, Beryl, gdesklets, and MythTV.  I know this is a chicken-and-egg
| point, where Windows has the exact same situation. Too often I hear
| "I can't switch to Linux because it doesn?t run [insert Windows
| software]".  My reason for pointing it out is just to make it clear
| that this is a two-way street.
`----

http://www.andersmoen.com/2007/05/21/11-reasons-to-use-linux-instead-of-windows/

Computer whiz kid reaches out to the world

,----[ Quote ]
| "One day, I keyed in his user name, Firewing1, and found 10,000 postings
| from people around the world asking him how to do things. I knew he
| was into computers and was talking to people, but I didn't know the
| extent to which he was known for troubleshooting. I thought maybe 80
| or 100 people were using the program he'd created. I didn't know
| it was hundreds of thousands."
`----

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/business/story.html?id=b31f9498-be10-40d0-a5ec-e4375f73e4f8&k=10665

Related:

Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows.

,----[ Quote ]
| # Update every single piece of software on my system with a single
|   action...
|
| # Update nearly everything on my computer without a reboot...
|
| # Keep my system secure without software that consumes my system resources,
|   requires my time, and frequently nags me...
|
| # Run an entire operating system for free without pirating software,
|   and without breaking the law...
|
| #  Take my settings with me where ever I go...
|
| # Run Internet Explorer 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, and 7.0 on the same desktop...
|
| # Understand everything that is going on in my computer...
|
| # Customize every aspect of my desktop...
|
| # Benefit from competition between projects for each system on my
|   computer...
|
| # Run thousands of great pieces of software that only run on Linux...
|
| # Learn about, support, and appreciate the value of free software...

`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/things-i-can-do-in-linux-that-i-cant-do-on-windows
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] [Linux] Company Favours the Use of Linux; Another Major Game Ported to Linux
KLA-Tencor's New LithoWare Tool Gives Designers Advanced RET/OPC Capabilities... ,----[ Quote ] | Operating in a Linux environment allows LithoWare to distribute | huge volumes of simulations across a large number of computers, | giving engineers the ability to perform advanced computational | lithography and explore an extended set of process parameters | that would not be possible on individual PCs or with other tools | without a major re-calibration effort for each change. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070530005220&...

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux
To the denizens of comp.os.linux.advocacy! So many people demonstrate in this newsgroup that they know only a Linux of Hatred and Greed, of paranoia, and of a selfish sense of entitlement. They seem always to be behaving like monkeys in reaction to human dissenters, throwing feces at one another and beating their chests pretending to know something. My Linux is not that Linux. My Linux is the Linux of Love, of sharing, friendship, community. It is a uniquely human Linux and not one for monkeys. When I speak with fellow Linux users in real life (i.e. not in the monkeyhouse of COLA) they remin...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Linux!! Linux!!
From http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.os.linux.misc/about This month 16 t...@invalid.invalid 15 ahlstr...@launchmodem.com 14 goldee_loxnbag...@gmail.com 10 jhas...@newsguy.com 9 mil...@yoyo.org 9 hel...@deepsoft.com 9 hadronqu...@gmail.com 8 ronb02nos...@gmail.com 7 secret...@lxny.org 7 ignoramus8...@nospam.8345.invalid All time 5421 p...@oboe.it.uc3m.es 4508 michael+use...@www.heiming.de 3530 j...@dhh.gt.org 3066 hel...@deepsoft.com 2991 nike_jordan_...@yahoo.com.cn 2651 jdbe...@exit109.com 2474 gra...@visi.com 2216 nikejordangoo...@hotmail.com 1890 rkiesl...@mainmatte...

[News] [Linux] Another Stable Release of Linux, Another Linux Event in the UK
Stable Linux Kernel 2.6.21.4 Released ,----[ Quote ] | Chris Wright and the rest of the -stable team have announced a new | release of the stabilized Linux kernel. `---- http://pcburn.com/article.php?sid=2306 LUGRadio Live ,----[ Quote ] | 40 speakers, hundreds of people, exhibition, live LugRadio | recording -- be there! `---- http://www.lugradio.org/freedommarch/ ...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

[News] Interviews: Linux Foundation Head on Linux Success; EnGarde Secure Linux Leader on Linux as Primary Solution
Q&A: Jim Zemlin touts the 'second phase' of Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The passion that Ubuntu generates is good for Red Hat and other vendors. We | need to keep our eye on that ball. Their success is ours. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027838 The LXer Interview: Dave Wreski of EnGarde Secure Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Open source has slowly but surely shed its skin only as an "alternative" and | is now considered a primary solution. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/89907/index.html ...

[News] [Linux] Another Success Story Reveals Laptops Reborn with Linux
Installing Ubuntu [on an Old Dell Inspiron] ,----[ Quote ] | With wireless working the Inspiron is a useful kids' computer. I | have installed a bunch of educational and games packages. The | default Firefox browser is what the kids are used to and Adobe | Flash is behaving itself sufficiently well to make Club Penguin | and Lego sites as tolerable an experience as they ever are. | | [...] | | Altogether it has been a very successful transition and an | excellent use of an old clunker of a laptop. The new owners | haven't complained. `---- http://brainsnorkel.com/2007/05/28/inst...

[News] [Linux] Another Wireless Solution Uses Linux-based OS
Aerohive Courts Controller-less WiFi ,----[ Quote ] | One startup is trying to get rid of the controller to save customers | some important dollars. | | [...] | | Aerohive's cooperative control access point is called the HiveAP 20 | ag and runs HiveOS on top of standard hardware and a standard Linux | kernel. . Flynn explained that HiveOS is based on Linux, with | Aerohive sprinkling in some features for good measure. `---- http://www.internetnews.com/infra/article.php/3676391 ...

[News] [Linux] Linux on Indy 500 Car, Ferrari Uses Linux
Tux500: Intentions Clarified - Battle Lines Drawn ,----[ Quote ] | Monday and Tuesday of this week, the track is closed, so we won't have | a lot of news to report. But Wednesday, the track re-opens, and we | should be able to see what kind of progress has been made on the car setup. `---- http://tux500.com/geeklog/article.php?story=20070514083625638 Ferrari UK Accelerates to Lower IT Costs With Trustix Linux Solutions ,----[ Quote ] | Ferrari UK has chosen Trustix and IBM to incorporate additional Linux | based solutions into its IT infrastructure. `---- http://www.zdnet.fr/livres-bl...

[News] [Linux] Advantages of Linux Listed, Vista Drives Another User to Linux
5 reasons to use Ubuntu and not Windows ,----[ Quote ] | Freedom of choice | | A stable system that doesn't have to be renewed | | Competition is good for technological progress | | Software is there to do a job, not to benefit a company | | The many, many little things `---- http://ubuntudaily.com/2007/05/10/5-reasons-to-use-ubuntu-and-not-windows/ Open source and Linux looking better every day ,----[ Quote ] | Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different | versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download | an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start...

[News] [Linux] The Linux Foundation Improves Linux Printing
Linux Foundation Improves Printing Functionality in Linux With LSB Driver Development Kit ,----[ Quote ] | "The LSB DDK is a direct result of our workgroup efforts and will | make it easier to create distribution-independent printer driver | packages," said Till Kamppeter, OpenPrinting.org manager, The | Linux Foundation. `---- http://new.marketwire.com/2.0/rel.jsp?id=741867&sourceType=1 Related: Real-time Linux simulates toner motion for printer design ,----[ Quote ] | Concurrent reports that its commercial, real-time Linux | implementation for multi-processor AMD Opter...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] [Linux] Linux Used in Another Series of Routers
Solutions4ebiz Announces New Linux Router with Rackmount Capability ,----[ Quote ] | Customers can order the Envoy router, along with other Linux | routers and hardware solutions, `---- http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9806.html A special feature reminds the readers why almost nobody builds a system from scratch anymore (maybe RIM did, but this has limitations). Psion: the last computer ,----[ Quote ] | The Series 5 pocket computer from Psion was launched 10 years ago this week. | It was a remarkable achievement: entirely new silicon, a new operating | system, middleware stack and app...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

[News] [Linux] Yet Another Linux Distribution Approaches Carrier Grade Linux Compliance
NEP's Linux distro nears CGL 4.0 ,----[ Quote ] | The first network equipment provider (NEP) to roll its own Carrier | Grade Linux (CGL) distribution has launched a new version. | Performance Technologies, Inc. (PTI) says NexusWare version 12 | adds support for PowerPC processor architectures, along with | features aimed at CGL 4.0 readiness. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2164884955.html Related: Open Source Development Labs' Carrier Grade Linux Working Group Joins the Mountain View Alliance ,----[ Summary ] | OSDL participation brings off-the-shelf platform OS to ...

[News] [Linux] MLDesigner Extended to 64-bit Linux, RadiSys Uses Linux in Its Solutions
MLDesigner Gets Improved Memory Management ,----[ Quote ] | MLDesigner 2.7 adds support for 64-bit Linux operating | systems, which can control significantly more memory | than 32-bit Linux operating systems. `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/88247/index.html RadiSys Introduces Groundbreaking Convedia Software Media Server ,----[ Quote | New Linux-based, multi-core optimized IP media processing solution | addresses needs of enterprise VoIP, ATCA, and IMS markets `---- http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/88247/index.html Related: Radisys Introduces Enhanced Development Envi...

[News] [Linux] New Versions of Engarde Secure Linux, Core Linux, OpenTLE (Thai Linux)
EnGarde Secure Linux 3.0.14 Released ,----[ Quote ] | A fully functional secure Linux platform distribution, this release | features a vastly improved intrusion detection Attack Monitor. `---- http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/may/04/engarde_secure_linux_3_0_14_released Core GNU/Linux 2.0 Released! ,----[ Quote ] | Core contains nothing beyond what is required to perform these tasks. | Core is primarily designed for experienced Linux users, though it has | found an audience with those looking to learn about the internals | and operation of a Linux system. `---- http://www.coredistro.org/ne...

[News] Another Use for an Old Box: Linux for a Linux Show
Linux Powered Light Show One among the many uses of a flexible system with some light controllers, which can probably be downloaded for free. http://www.ubuntuvideo.com/linux_powered_light_show ...

[News] Reasons to Use Linux Mint (GNU/Linux+Blobs)

[News] [Linux] New Linux Magazine is Born; Another Person Ditches Windows for Good (Moves to Linux)
And Ubuntu Linux has yet another magazine (among several others): [Ubuntu] Full Circle Magaine - Issue 1 is OUT ,----[ Quote ] | This issue includes: | | * Installing Ubuntu Feisty Fawn | * Howtos: Linux directory structure, MythTV, Scribus, and more | * Interview with Deluge BitTorrent Client developer | * News, reviews, and much more! `---- http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2007/06/07/issue-1-is-out/ My Review of Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (and why I switched) ,----[ Quote ] | The update process runs smoothly every time, and the ease of use is | far above that of Windows. My 7-ye...

[News] [Linux] Storage Appliance Uses Linux and Wins Praises; Newer Linux-based TV is Coming
Backups again - Bacula ,----[ Quote ] | Just a quick note to mention how impressed I have been with my current | backup solution, Bacula (using an Overland Neo2000 tape library, which | also does the job nicely). `---- http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/05/backups_again_bacula.html Mythbuntu 7.04 Public Alpha 1 ,----[ Quote ] | After lots of hard work the past month, the Mythbuntu team is | proud to present our first publicly announced Alpha. `---- http://www.mythbuntu.org/node/10 ...

Web resources about - [News] [Linux] 11 Reasons to Use Linux and Another Linux Success Story - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

Contract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521

Canonical releases Snappy Ubuntu Core Linux image for x86-based Intel NUC DE3815TY
The Raspberry Pi is a game-changing computer. While it was primarily designed as a low-cost base on which students could learn to code, it has ...

How to use locate and grep to find files on a Linux (or OS X) system
Linux has powerful tools to help you quickly and efficiently retrieve a file. This free PDF download will show you how to use two of the most ...

Is Docker ditching Ubuntu Linux? Confusion reigns
Docker has long relied on Ubuntu Linux as the default host environment for Docker apps, but recent comments from the company's CTO suggest that ...

Street Fighter V is coming to Linux and SteamOS this Spring
Are you one of the less than one percent of Steam users who play on a Linux-based system? Are you part of the even smaller percentage of people ...

Linux Systems Patched for Critical glibc Flaw
Google exposed a critical flaw affecting major Linux distributions. The glibc flaw could have potentially led to remote code execution.