[News] [Linux] 90% of Autodesk's Systems Product Revenue is GNU/Linux

Autodesk F1Q08 (Qtr End 4/30/07) Earnings Call Transcript

,----[ Quote ]
| As customers continue to transition away from proprietary high-end
| SGI workstations, revenue from our Linux based solutions continues
| to show strong growth. In fact this quarter, nearly 90% of our
| systems product revenue was Linux based. Overall, I'm very
| pleased with our performance this quarter.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/35916?source=feed

Related:

Over 100 Additional Post-production Facilities Adopt Autodesk's Visual
Effects and Editing/Finishing Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| In April 2006, Autodesk transitioned its visual effects and
| editing/finishing systems from SGI-based workstations to workstations
| running the Linux operating system.
|
| [...]
|
| "The migration of Autodesk systems to the Linux platform has been a
| great success," said Stig Gruman, Autodesk's Media & Entertainment
| vice president of systems. "This operating system allows Autodesk to
| take advantage of rapid, continuous improvements to commodity
| hardware components such as central processing units, graphics
| cards, and Infiniband networking technology."
`----

http://www.kpth.com/home/6888347.html

Related:

Open source creeps into mapping software

,----[ Quote ]
| Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), MapGuide Open
| Source enables organizations to develop and distribute spatial and design
| data over the Web.
|
| [...]
|
| "We think there is a direct analogy between what's happening in Web
| mapping [software market], and what happened with Web servers in the
| beginning," Zeiss said, noting that the trend toward commoditization
| had convinced Autodesk to contribute MapGuide Open Source to the OSGF.
|
| "This was a strategic way of creating a much bigger market than we could
| have ever created with a closed-source product," he added.
|
| With an open source product on its cards, Zeiss said Autodesk is also
| following the footsteps of other open-source software vendors--that is,
| to charge for premium services and support.
|
| [...]
|
| "To open-source AutoCAD will be giving away valuable trade secrets to
| competitors. There's no prospect for doing that at all," he explained.
|
| IDC noted in a June 2006 report that it is too early to assess the
| long-term impact of Autodesk's open source strategy. "But initial
| indications are that geospatial users and the open source community are
| responding positively, perhaps to the point of shifting Web-based
| geospatial interfaces to a predominantly open source model," the
| analyst company said.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,61952140,00.htm

Australia and New Zealand Visual Effects Industries Support Autodesk's Move
to Linux-based Systems Products

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past two years, Autodesk has transitioned its Media and
| Entertainment systems products from running on proprietary,
| high-end SGI workstations to running on Linux-based personal
| computers (PCs).  To date, more than 30 Autodesk Linux-based
| systems seats have been installed in Australia and New Zealand.
`----

http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=98344

Trivia for 300 (2006)

,----[ Quote ]
| The filmmakers prefer Macintosh, but large portions of the movie
| were made under Linux.
`----

http://imdb.com/title/tt0416449/trivia

Asia Pacific Digital Content Creators and Broadcasters Turn to Autodesk's
Linux-based Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Over a dozen broadcasters and post-production facilities in the Asia
| Pacific region have recently embraced Autodesk, Inc.'s visual effects,
| editing/finishing and digital color-grading products running on the
| Linux operating system.
|
| [...]
|
| In its China Linux 2006-2010 Forecast and Analysis report, market
| research firm IDC estimates that China's Linux market will grow
| at a compound annual growth rate of 34 percent from 2006 to 2010.
| IDC also forecasts that by 2008, Linux-based personal computers
| (PCs) will account for more than 9 percent of PC unit shipments
| in Asia Pacific.
`----

http://www.dmnnewswire.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=110125

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxmovies.org/studios.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

> Autodesk F1Q08 (Qtr End 4/30/07) Earnings Call Transcript
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | As customers continue to transition away from proprietary high-end
> | SGI workstations, revenue from our Linux based solutions continues
> | to show strong growth. In fact this quarter, nearly 90% of our
> | systems product revenue was Linux based. Overall, I'm very
> | pleased with our performance this quarter.
> `----
>
> http://seekingalpha.com/article/35916?source=feed

   http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7639522

   Autodesk Maya

Found this amusing from that link:

   Note: Autodesk Maya 8.5 is also capable of running on other hardware
   configurations such as the Power Mac G4 or boutique distributions of
   Linux.

"boutique" Linux?

   http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5562667

   Autodesk Burn

   Render requests are made from Inferno, Flint, Flame, Fire, Smoke, and
   Lustre systems to the Backburner server. Backburner prioritizes the
   availability and efficiency of each Burn node, and delegates rend
   tasks accordingly.

   http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7668850

   Autodesk Lustre

   Make your projects better than real with Autodesk® Lustre® software,
   the premier creative color grading toolset specifically designed to
   take on the short-form and long-form projects faced by colorists
   every day

   http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=6861765

   mental ray

   Generate high-quality images with unsurpassed realism. Take full
   advantage of parallelism on both multicore and multiprocessor
   workstations or across networked computers to achieve scalable
   performance.

   http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=8366619&linkID=9242178

   Autodesk MapGuide Enterprise Services & Support

   Creating debug.log file for FLEXlm® License Manager on Linux

<frown> License managers... what a pain in the assssssssss.

   http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=7815315

   Autodesk Flint

   Linux Advantage

   Take advantage of the latest computing, storage and networking
   technologies. Today's multi-core workstations provide compelling
   productivity gains. Autodesk creative systems harness the full power
   of multi-core processor technology, and the extensible, open
   architecture of the Linux platform.

   White Paper

      Implications of High Perfomance Linux Workstations
      <http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/linux_wp_2006.pdf>

   http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=6387819&linkID=5572944

   Autodesk Toxik

   Autodesk Introduces Linux-based Version of Autodesk Toxik Visual
   Effects Software

   Offers Film Studios and Post-Production Facilities Greater Choice in
   Back-End Digital Film Workflow

   SAN RAFAEL, Calif., Dec. 5, 2005 At the Digital Media Festival
   in Sydney, Australia, Autodesk, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADSK) today launched
   Autodesk Toxik visual effects software running on the Linux operating
   system.

   Linux is now a prevalent operating system for feature film pipelines.
   It simplifies the management of large, computerized workgroups and
   meets the storage and networking requirements for massive,
   high-quality images.

   The Linux operating system has gained popularity amongst film studios
   and post-production facilities in Australia, Europe and North
   America. Australia's largest post-production company,...

Too many products still to post links to.

Some of them are supported on Windows and Mac as well, but it should be
obvious just how much AutoDesk is relying on Linux and other open-source
software.

--
   "Don't be evil."  -- Google
   "We don't agree with that." -- Bill Gates

> Found this amusing from that link:
>
>    Note: Autodesk Maya 8.5 is also capable of running on other hardware
>    configurations such as the Power Mac G4 or boutique distributions of
>    Linux.
>
> "boutique" Linux?

It's the latest fashion.

> Too many products still to post links to.
>
> Some of them are supported on Windows and Mac as well, but it should be
> obvious just how much AutoDesk is relying on Linux and other open-source
> software.

Serious work requires a serious OS.

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| 'Also, no one calls it PCI-X even though that's the "official "
| shortening of the much more commonly used "PCI Express".'
|    - Hardon Quirk, COLA's resident "genius".
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 04:18:14 up 32 days,  1:50,  2 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.12, 0.17
0
spam95 (5695)